Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
backi

#136 Post by backi »

Hey playdayz ! Hi Beem .

Thanks for your hard effort to help me .

playdayz

#137 Post by playdayz »

Here is the first Test of Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8
(Also applicable to Three-Headed Dog)

Click the link to download the pet and then click to install - Reboot

X libgconf2-4_3.1.6 to enable Chromium-based browsers
X libgconf_DEV-3.1.6
X Help -> LupuNews puppylogo96 image without being connected
X update Firewallstate 2.0 tasmod
X update PupControl 1.7 radky includes very cool PupSysinfo
X update Pburn 3.3.5 zigbert
X change to Start with Playlist in gnome-mplayer for dvd’s otherwise gnome-mplayer shows black screen with audio until one changes size of screen - for dvd's, XineDVD is still better, but some people might expect the default media player to play dvd's with no fuss, not unreasonably ;-)
X add Getflash (modified) from Slacko to update (or install) Flashplayer
X add Cloud Puppy by sszindian, under Utility

From rerwin:
# 1. Update /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.
# 2. Reduce occurrences of DNS not being set for ppp connections to some USB-modem ISPs. (/etc/ppp/wvdial)
# 3. Retain access to prename script if devx also loaded (with a different script of the same name) (usr/share/applications/prename.desktop).
# 4. Set "show_msg=NO" configuration option for both of dillo's dillorc files (adding the one in /etc/dillo).
# 5. Correct missing "fi" statement in bareview script.
# 6. Personal Settings updates:
# . . a. Complete the hostname-change process by cycling connections and prompting user to log out.
# . . b. Simplify numlock preset logic.
# . . c. Avoid "barks" during full country-settings display but retain them for first runs with no pupsave files or full installations.
# . . d. Integrate firstrun-1.8.4 into lupu version of personal settings script but exclude new "extralang" support (which could be provided by a dot-pet package).
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#138 Post by playdayz »

Question for Everyone: Should Three-Headed Dog try to accommodate more drivers and firmware, even to the extent of growing by 5MB (or more)?

James C

#139 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Question for Everyone: Should Three-Headed Dog try to accommodate more drivers and firmware, even to the extent of growing by 5MB (or more)?
Just one users opinion..... since Three-Headed Dog has already passed the point of loading in ram on a 256 MB machine I'd see no problem with extra drivers in order to work on more hardware. Additionally, since it's using the same kernel as Slacko, drivers and firmware should work there too.And vice versa.

Jim1911

#140 Post by Jim1911 »

Go for it! Thank you for this distribution with the later 2.6.37.6 kernel. Lucid 5.2.9 is a solid release that should continue to raise the bar.

Thanks,
Jim

James C

#141 Post by James C »

Thought I'd post a screenshot of 529 running XFCE .....
Attachments
Lucid 529 (2.6.39.3) XFCE.png
(96.79 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

jim3630

#142 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:Question for Everyone: Should Three-Headed Dog try to accommodate more drivers and firmware, even to the extent of growing by 5MB (or more)?
1+

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#143 Post by Béèm »

backi wrote:Hey playdayz ! Hi Beem .

Thanks for your hard effort to help me .
You're welcome, but as I understand your initial issue isn't solved.

I did a same test as you, searched for a video and selected to play.
It did play right away, without that black portion thus but it played stuttering, for which I blame my CPU not being powerful enough.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Sage

#144 Post by Sage »

Should Three-Headed Dog try to accommodate more drivers and firmware, even to the extent of growing by 5MB
Normally, I'd vote 'NO' for any compact distro. However, this one is a pretender to greater, errr, greatness - a bit like Lighthouse & co. Since most boards running Wary do best with 192Mb+ of SDRAM, using strips of 128+64, they should have no difficulty fitting 2x 128 strips for the extra utility of running an Lupu.[Anyone requiring an extra strip of 128 can send me a reply paid Jiffy bag for a gratis strip.]. Furthermore, as an advocate of the Xfce DE, it'd be well worth the extra RAM to run James' latest option. Checks & balances, it would be a welcome development if BK could lower the minimum Wary requirement to a single strip of 128 for those boards that used to have issues with either a second filled slot (2 x64) or memory-matching, a common 'feature' from that era.

Puppeteer

#145 Post by Puppeteer »

YES - I vote for adding more firmware for networking (wireless), since being able to get online seems essential to me. At least try to support the drivers already included in the kernel.
IMO, it's a bit of a waste for hardware to not be recognized only due to missing firmware.

backi

#146 Post by backi »

Hey beem !

Somehow,after i tested Firefox to play on Dailymotion ,he stopped playing suddenly too,like Chromium.

So i dicided to make a cut and made new install of 529 to USB.
Installing firefox 7 and Chromium 15 pet again.....and ...,much to my surprise
the whole videoshow on DailyMotion starts to run.

Don't ask me why.

Problem solved. Let's forget about it .
But a nice guesture, somebody cares for my "problems" .

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#147 Post by Béèm »

backi wrote:Hey beem !

Somehow,after i tested Firefox to play on Dailymotion ,he stopped playing suddenly too,like Chromium.

So i dicided to make a cut and made new install of 529 to USB.
Installing firefox 7 and Chromium 15 pet again.....and ...,much to my surprise
the whole videoshow on DailyMotion starts to run.

Don't ask me why.

Problem solved. Let's forget about it .
But a nice guesture, somebody cares for my "problems" .
Glad to hear that.
Yes sometimes one can't explain why a fresh install solves things.
Something was corrupted probably.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#148 Post by playdayz »

Béèm and backi, My testing is that there was some problem with the dailymotion site yesterday--it was having trouble getting to its advertising so the video would never play because the ad had to play first! So I think it is OK on both 528 and 529, on both gecko-browsers and chromium-browsers.

Stuttering *might* be helped by installing Xorg_High or the appropriate ATI or Nvidia proprietary driver (use Quickpet Drivers) if they are not already installed.

Oh dang, dailymotion is not working again. I wonder why.....

Add -> I uninstalled and re-installed the Test Instant Update 001 and it started working. So as Béèm says something may be getting corrupted. I will try to notice what I did just before if it stops again. Really, we are in good shape if we have time to try to run this little thing down ;-)

I am not even sure what is playing the video--on youtube it is flashplayer but right-clicking on a youtube video gives flashplayer info, but not on dailymotion.

jim3630

#149 Post by jim3630 »

installed update to 3head and noticed don't have the hulu desktop which the update did provide in 528. will keep testing.

playdayz

#150 Post by playdayz »

don't have the hulu desktop
jim3630, Could you explain what the hulu desktop is please? Thanks.
529 running XFCE .....
James C, which xfce pet are you using?

playdayz

#151 Post by playdayz »

since Three-Headed Dog has already passed the point of loading in ram on a 256 MB machine I'd see no problem with extra drivers in order to work on more hardware. Additionally, since it's using the same kernel as Slacko, drivers and firmware should work there too.And vice versa.

Go for it! 

1+

Normally, I'd vote 'NO' for any compact distro. However, this one is a pretender to greater, errr, greatness 

YES - I vote for adding more firmware for networking (wireless)

I hear that. I will ask tempestuous and rerwin what they would recommend: what drivers and firmware to add to get the best balance between extra functionality and extra size. Maybe an increase of 5-7MB is just a first approximation.

jim3630

#152 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
don't have the hulu desktop
jim3630, Could you explain what the hulu desktop is please? Thanks.

playdayz, uhh.. since I found it in 528 after installng the update thought you had included it. obviously not. for the live of me can't recall installing it myself. it's listed in the menu multimedia. have to evaluate and get back with you.

backi

#153 Post by backi »

Hi it's me again!
(The guy with problems playing videos on Dailymotion with Chromium browser(and later with firefox too)).

For a while now firefox and chromium played videos on Dailymotion.

Now suddenly they don't do it any longer.

Can not have something to do with the website ,because i immediatly tested with Dpupexprimo and same browsers two minutes later.(working)

I don't want to ask for an answer or solution.
Just wanna inform you about this "bug"
There must be probably something special with this derivat.

Oh stop !!!!
Just in this moment i tried following -- (Don't know why ,just some intuition- inspiration)

Went to:
Menue- internet- Adobe flash player .

deleted" All Site Data and Settings" and "Delete all Audio and Video License Files" deleted all data in the browser.

Much to my surprise!!

Firefox and Chromium now working without any problem on Dailymotion.

Maybe this could be helpful for the next generations.

playdayz

#154 Post by playdayz »

Oh stop !!!!
Just in this moment i tried following -- (Don't know why ,just some intuition- inspiration)

Went to:
Menue- internet- Adobe flash player .

deleted" All Site Data and Settings" and "Delete all Audio and Video License Files" deleted all data in the browser.

Much to my surprise!!

Firefox and Chromium now working without any problem on Dailymotion.

Maybe this could be helpful for the next generations.
This makes me glad that we included the Flashplayer config program. Thanks for staying with it--it is possible it could help with other browser-related/flashplayer problems.

playdayz

#155 Post by playdayz »

This will work with Three-Headed Dog. As soon as the RC is publicly released, then we will start the *enhanced* update for Three-Headed Dog only.

Here is the Release Candidate of the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... 28-001.pet

Changes from Test Instant Update 001

add two gnome-mplayer icons
PupControl preferences
new iwlwifi.tar.gz in /lib/modules/all-firmware
latest Packages-puppy-lucid-official in PPM
gnome-mplayer menu entry remove %U
small change to Cloud Apps to remove 2nd More Apps which pointed to /usr/share/applications