Stuttering streaming video

Booting, installing, newbie
capoverde

#31 Post by capoverde »

Sorry double post.

capoverde

#32 Post by capoverde »

Testing Lupu-528, it appears that (after adding Stu90's lines, see first page of this thread) the command "flash-video" is not recognized by ROXTerm, which is the default virtual terminal, but it is by Urxvt and works normally.

Tman

#33 Post by Tman »

Code: Select all

function flash-video() { 
 mplayer -cache 1000 $(stat -c %N /proc/*/fd/* 2>&1|awk -F[\`\'] '/lash/{print$2}') 
 }
What a great script, stu90. Thanks so much.

I took it a step further and packaged your script into a pet, with a menuitem for it in the Multimedia menu. I renamed the command to playflash.
Now, one can add the icon to the desktop or a quicklaunch bar, and can just click on the icon, instead of typing in the terminal. :wink:

- Click here to download playflash.pet -

enjoy!

stu90

#34 Post by stu90 »

Tman wrote:

Code: Select all

function flash-video() { 
 mplayer -cache 1000 $(stat -c %N /proc/*/fd/* 2>&1|awk -F[\`\'] '/lash/{print$2}') 
 }
What a great script, stu90. Thanks so much.

I took it a step further and packaged your script into a pet, with a menuitem for it in the Multimedia menu. I renamed the command to playflash.
Now, one can add the icon to the desktop or a quicklaunch bar, and can just click on the icon, instead of typing in the terminal. :wink:

- Click here to download playflash.pet -

enjoy!
Nice one Tman 8)

cheers.

Geoffrey

#35 Post by Geoffrey »

stu90,

How nice is that, runs perfectly, your a legend.

Geoffrey

rhubarbcheese

#36 Post by rhubarbcheese »

streaming video from icefilms.

I get it to work, but it seems to fill the memory after a while and it starts to lag quite enormously.

I've tried some settings in mplayer, changing the video output.

But this seems to be related to the OS(that it loads everything to the ram.)

How can I get the stream to cache the file onto the harddrive instead of directly into the memory?

now I was able to play 720p without stuttering on easypeasy linux, but eventually that crashed and was overall pretty slow on my hardware.

So I have downloaded puppy, I like it, but the streaming wont work(without stuttering) until it has cached the file completely. Anyway dont know what to do.

Shep

#37 Post by Shep »

rhubarbcheese wrote:streaming video from icefilms.

I get it to work, but it seems to fill the memory after a while and it starts to lag quite enormously.

I've tried some settings in mplayer, changing the video output.

But this seems to be related to the OS(that it loads everything to the ram.)

How can I get the stream to cache the file onto the harddrive instead of directly into the memory?
Icefilms doesn't seem to be a friendly site to stream from unless you are using their streaming player. But underneath the boxes "Choose a streaming method" there is a megaupload link and from there you can download the 700MB file. As you found, once it begins downloading you can start mplayer and begin watching the movie. But by default it downloads to /tmp and that's in RAM so as soon as your RAM is filled, Linux will crash. If you arrange for downloads to go to a directory where there is plenty of room on the hard drive, then it can continue downloading while you begin watching using mplayer. And when you are finished watching, you can watch it all over again because it has been saved to a HD file. To set where downloads are saved, in Firefox: Edit > Preferences and click the radio button "Always ask me where to save files" and at the time of downloading set it to the hard drive, e.g., /mnt/hda6

You don't have to wait for the complete file to download before starting to watch it. In the file manager, click on the file and open with mplayer. Though lag might be worse because the machine is busy downloading the file. Might be better to allow download to complete before viewing the movie.

On a low-power machine, if you can keep the viewing size to less than full screen, audio lag may not be as bad. Try it and see. There are plenty of options to play with when running mplayer on the command line, too.