Which Puppy has the most file server potential?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
plan9

Which Puppy has the most file server potential?

#1 Post by plan9 »

One add on to my Alix/Juli@ inquiry.

The PC serving files to the Alix/mpdPup machine would be a powerful Intel i7/920 general purpose desktop dual booting into Ubuntu or Windows7. Both OS have access to two internal HDDs (i.e. not a NAS) with my music files. Files would be served by ethernet via my router.

1 Any recommendations on which OS to set as the active application when serving up files to the Alix mpdPup machine?

2 Would a separate Vortexbox/Atom server simplify the setup?

Looking for guidance before beginning the build. Thanks again!

gcmartin

Re: File Server Options

#2 Post by gcmartin »

plan9 wrote: ... The PC serving files ...
@Plan9 you imply several thing here.

Over the years, I have developed this concept for static machines and active machines on the LAN.

A static machine for home would be one that is a central place that just contains files. Music files, video files, picture files, special document files, etc (I have a LAN NASs) which serve that purpose.) This static/stateless machine is rarely ever logged into its desktop/webpage.....ever! I consider these data ONLY machines.
Active machines are those available for desktop use by someone(s). All desktop use PCs have access to static machines, thus from their desktop applications, they can see what is shared by the static machine.. Depending on what rights you assign, a user on an active machine can read files from the static machine, write files, play audio or video as if those files are on the active machine.

In this way, the active machines, no matter what OS they run, do all of the user's work while the static machines has all of the files centrally located for all needs.

For both Windows and Linux PC as well as the SET-TOPS for multimedia playback that I have, to equally "see" the NAS, the NAS must share it files using a LAN protocol that everyone understands. All LAN NASs that you buy, today, are built to do this. If you choose to set your own up, use Windows or use Linux+SAMBA server. Each of these has all of the components you need for your NAS to share file areas for Active machine use.

QUESTION
Are you trying to do something like this?

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

Re: File Server Options

#3 Post by disciple »

plan9 wrote:One add on to my Alix/Juli@ inquiry.
How about a link?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

plan9

#4 Post by plan9 »

Thanks for the replies.Clarifying my post.

1. I plan on running mpdPup on a headless Alix 1c PC with a Juli@ soundcard feeding a non-USB DAC via SPDIF. I have this hardware already.

2. Music files to be delivered to the Alix machine via ethenet.

3. I want to serve files from my dual boot Ubuntu/Windows7 PC that i use as a general use PC (i.e. an active machine).

4. I have a router, but my music files are currently saved locally on two non-boot HDDs housed inside my main PC's case.

5. I know this PC would need to be powered on to serve the files.

6 How do I serve the files to the headless Alix machine if I don't want to create a dedicated PC or NAS (i.e. static machine)?

Thanks!

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

plan9 - I'm confuse by what you're asking, but, I think I've translated it....

You want to use your alix 1c mini pc to serve files to your sound system? But, your sound files are on your Ubuntu / Win7 machine?

I am not familiar with mpdPup and its operation, but reading through the thread for that here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70052 it will see a NAS or file server on the network if you set it up correctly, the instructions for such are 2/3 of the way down the first post by Idolse.

To serve from Ubuntu / Win7 you'd need to get detailed instructions from their documentation, but, my rough and vague instructions are....

win - right click on the directory you wish to share, click sharing, set up share name etc, this should make that directory visible to all network clients, including mpdPup.

Ubuntu - can be done much the same way, or you can set it up by modifying the samba.conf settings. You will probably need to install samba in ubuntu, I don't think it's on by default.

I am not even sure that mpdPup has samba as its sharing protocol, it almost looks like in the instructions that it might use NFS which is a linux protocol.

For your answers, I believe, you will have to look at win7 and ubuntu forums / documentation for info on setting up file sharing in those respective OSes.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction

Paul

technosaurus

#6 Post by technosaurus »

it seems unclear still ... a file server is normally the headless box that is pulled from, but it sounds like you are wanting it to _push_ data _to_ a headless box ... maybe some more detail is necessary, but any system with busybox can move files around, so which one you pick is really irrelevant as long as you figure out the block diagram of what you want

you should only need apps that are on every puppy ... busybox httpd or hiawatha on the "server" (can be your main pc) and a script that uses wget and any random music player "client" (aplay works nicely) ... there are plenty of other more complex music/media player daemons/servers/clients that you can google ,,, but you cant have a server without a server

better yet just yank the drives and sound card (if need be) out and put it in your other one, drives will spin down when not in use and I won't have to get a headache trying to figure out whatever bastardized "using-my-fridge-to-heat-the-house-by-sticking-it-in-the-doorway-leaving-it-open-and-venting-it-inside" concoction you came up with
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

plan9 wrote:Thanks for the replies.Clarifying my post. ...
6 How do I serve the files to the headless Alix machine if I don't want to create a dedicated PC or NAS (i.e. static machine)? ...
Full SAMBA! SAMBA, a Linux subsystem, has been doing this for past 20 years. It makes Linux behave on a LAN the same as any Microsoft PC does out of the box.

I'm assuming you have a 64bit PC (running Windows7/Vista) so you can use FATDOG or LightHOUSE64. Both have SAMBA built in (although its a rather "dated" version). Newer versions of SAMBA is available via their PPMs or Updates which addresses security and other sharing issues.

No 32bit PUP includes this. But, many do provide installation via their PPM. But, its not always available or apparent in 32bit PUP world.

Also, any of your Windows and Linux PC (without installing ANY software) with be able to see and use the files your share over the network (this includes ALIX) from either of the 2 Puppies I've mentioned.

If you need help configuring, there are many many guide available or PM me for assistance in using SAMBA.

Hope this helps

technosaurus

#8 Post by technosaurus »

Samba works too

It finally hit me that what you need is something people have complained about and done workarounds for years. Xdmcp will put a desktop on another system, but not sound... it stays local.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

plan9

#9 Post by plan9 »

Yes, I want to send files from my general purpose PC to a headless PC with a low powered, electrically quiet motherboard without any HDDs to minimize EFI/RMI in the music room.

I think I have got what I need to proceed. Thanks to all for the responses.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

plan9 wrote:Yes, I want to send files from my general purpose PC to a headless PC with a low powered, electrically quiet motherboard without any HDDs to minimize EFI/RMI in the music room.

I think I have got what I need to proceed. Thanks to all for the responses.
What did you arrive at? Share your findings as we have in trying to help you.