Two-Headed Dog 528

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davec51

Slow boot solved!

#91 Post by davec51 »

"Quote:
title Lucid Puppy luci-267 (on /dev/sda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /luci-267/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=copy psubdir=luci-267
initrd /luci-267/initrd.gz
The menu.lst for a frugal install should look like this (substituting your own directory name of course). The (hd0,1) could be different also. This is for sda2. sda3 would be (hd0,2)."

I used your recommended entry in my menu.lst and the program found the correct Puppy files in less than one second, as opposed to over forty seconds with my inept entry.

Thanks, Playdayz. You have helped me before and I appreciate it.
For my education: was it the "pmedia . . ." or the psubdir . . ." item that made the difference?

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

It will be even faster by adding "pdev1=sda2". Now you have told Puppy exactly where the sfs file is.

ilanrab

#93 Post by ilanrab »

stiginge wrote:I cannot connect to the wireless network using either SNS or Network wizard. When I select 'wlan0' from within SNS it doesn't seem to pick up my network or any networks...
I had the same exact wlan0 issue, right after the Two-Headed Dog 528 installation, an hour ago.
My installation process was:
1. USBflash frugal type. Copied 3 files from the CD image to my primary partition. copied the lupusave file to my 2nd partition. Renamed it to lucisave.
I rebooted.
2. Came up fine, except the wireless net was not connected. I did the SNS setup and was able to use Chromium to get onto the internet.
I rebooted.
3. Came up fine, except the wireless connection was not working. I tried using SNS first. Nothing seemed to help. No wireless net, in the area, was recognized at all. It kept pointing me to the main network window.
I mucked around with the non-SNS network settings, and that didn't help.
I shutdown the system.
4. Powered up. Everything came up fine, including the network. It has been fine ever since. I have rebooted several times since then, without any problems.

Something about the installation process messes up the network settings, but only for the second reboot. All further reboots seem to work fine.
[b]ir[/b]

joe0855

#94 Post by joe0855 »

bigpup wrote:
joe0855 wrote:Is there a clean way to update my 5.25 to 5.28? Could I just copy the save file from my 5.25 thumbdrive and paste it into a new 5.28 installation on another thumbdrive?
That is basically how you upgrade a frugal install. Use the old save file with the newer version frugal install.
You will need to make sure the save file gets renamed to lucisave. for first part of name.
That is the name 5.28 uses.
When you boot with the 5.28 thumb-drive it should use and update the save file.

The only issue you may have is two console icons on desktop overlapping each other. Delete one or just move them apart to have both. They run different terminals.
May run into other small issues. Upgrading a save file never seems to be 100%
Issues usually involve something not working because it was in 5.25 and is not in 5.28.
Example:
My desktop wallpaper changed because that old wallpaper is not in the newer version.
Thanks bigpup!

ICPUG

I have a dilemma

#95 Post by ICPUG »

A newbie comes up and says I like your Puppy. How do I get it?

I ask them what hardware they have and get told it is fairly modern.

What do I say?

Do I point at the official Puppy 5.2.5 and say you also need to download the instant update 01, ... We all like doing that!

Do I point at Two-Headed Dog 528 even though it is a derivative and not an official Pup. We know there are bugs in it but:

Are there any features that were bugless in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 but have become buggy in Two Headed Dog 528?

If the answer to that last question is NO then surely Two Headed Dog is better than Lucid 5.2.5 (cos it has more features and it includes the instant updates - a prime driver for the 5.2.5 update in the first place).

For that reason alone this should be the latest Official Lucid Puppy instead of 5.2.5. It would not require any more bug reports to be read. Just issue what we have got - officially. It would be nice to identify in the release notes the features of 528 that are buggy (experimental!) but I don't want to make extra work so ignore that request if you want.

Citing the Wary 5.1.3 release and impending Slacko as a reason not to continue the Lupu line officially seems illogical to me.

I use Wary on my old clunker but it isn't exactly beautilicious and looks out of place in comparison with other distros on newer hardware.

Slacko may indeed be the next step although we are not sure when it will arrive.

I was also devastated to read, on the same day that Playdayz cancelled the next official Lupu, that the latest update of Slacko would no longer boot straight to desktop! Now I don't give a toss about that but newbies like it!

Any answers to the emboldened question above and my dilemma appreciated.

Playdayz - if the answer to that emboldened question is NO please reconsider and make this Two Headed Pup an official Lupu.

bigpup

#96 Post by bigpup »

There are a lot less bugs in Two Headed Dog 528.
Seems to me to be an update to Lucid Puppy 5.2.5.
Just having hard time understanding the path that was taken.
The update process got a little carried away, but the features that where added and the fixes that where implemented made a much better Puppy.
Just fixing Bootflash and making help actually have something useful in it, was enough to call it a good update to Lucid 5.2.5
Even a buggy update is better than a really buggy original 5.2.5!
You said it well ICPUG.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

2HD ???

#97 Post by Volhout »

PlayDayz.

I recall that the only reason this work started, is to make a single iso of 525 with update001, and some more bug fixes if possible. Even then there was mention of slacko and mageia.

The way things are going now, 525 is the last pup in the 5 series. The buggy one.

I suggest to release 526, or 527, or 528 anyway. To have a better version that 525 in the puppy 5 series.

2HD.... a "derivative" ?? NO-NO, this is at this moment the ONLY PUPPY. Wary is Barries playground, and as he originally told when he stepped back, he is doing his own thing with quirky and wary.

And Slacko .... nice to have another puppy, but it is like 500. The first in a series, and before it is stable enough for end users, we could be a 624, and counting 2013.....

Please, please.....do an official release if you think it has any value above 525 in form or function.

Volhout

playdayz

#98 Post by playdayz »

a really buggy original 5.2.5!
WTF. 5.2.5 was tested for 3 months--and it was the 6th release of Lucid. There were like 4 bug fixes in the Instant Update 001. I hardly think it should be called really buggy.

Anyone can use Two-Headed Dog, and as I said, it will be maintained.

This thread is for Two-Headed Dog 528.

Please help test the next Puppy, Slacko.

majorfoo

#99 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
a really buggy original 5.2.5!
WTF. 5.2.5 was tested for 3 months--and it was the 6th release of Lucid. There were like 4 bug fixes in the Instant Update 001. I hardly think it should be called really buggy.

Anyone can use Two-Headed Dog, and as I said, it will be maintained.

Please provide pet for new seamonkey 2.3

Thanks
Majorfoo

playdayz

#100 Post by playdayz »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.pet

I saw a report that 2.3b3 was faster than Firefox 5.0.1.
Or, how about Chromium 15?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.pet

It seems stable so far----without the "pinwheel of death"--famous last words!
Edit -> I spoke too soon. No pinwheel, but it did get stuck on loading. It seems to do that once and then be OK???
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

capoverde

#101 Post by capoverde »

Let me first tribute a heartfelt THANK YOU to Playdayz (Larry) and all the involved developers for the absolutely amazing LuPu5.2.5.

Now testing Luci 5.2.8 installed on an SD card, running on an MSI U135 Wind netbook - seems great, posting with it and with SeaMonkey 2.3 in Italian.
This has been my reaction to the quest for an updated Seamonkey .PET: being curious by nature and seeing that the available .PET versions are soon outdated, for about one year now I've been able to always use the most recent (and *localized*!) version of SeaMonkey by getting the plain-vanilla "seamonkey-XY.tar.bz2" straight from the project site, and unpacking it somewhere in a separate folder.

This isn't the orthodox Puppy way, it breaks some rules, it takes up some more disk space, may run into dependency trouble etc.; and anyway, knowing I'm chronically prone to improper tinkering, I'm not recommending it, no responsibility etc. etc. But... up to now it worked nicely, and can be undone in a jiffy if there are problems. What's more, to me it just exploits Puppy's versatility in full. :wink:

The new version can be tested to one's satisfaction starting it with a click on the "seamonkey" script in the extracted folder. Then, if and when all seems to work fine, the last line in /usr/bin/defaultbrowser:

exec quickpet BI "$@"

can be simply commented out, and followed by a line with something like

/mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey

i.e., where the starting script resides, making everything work normally (the browser starts with a click on the "browse" icon).

Presently my HD has the three last versions of SeaMonkey available (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3): a simple renaming of the corresponding folders switches to a different version, and since the browser's preferences are stored in /root/.mozilla, they keep valid for any version.

BTW, speaking of browsers, let me also suggest QtWeb, a cute little browser with much of Puppy's spirit:

http://www.qtweb.net/downloads/QtWeb-elf386.zip

Even the Windows version under Wine starts faster than SeaMonkey or Firefox.

cthisbear

#102 Post by cthisbear »

playdayz:

" Just having hard time understanding the path that was taken.

The update process got a little carried away, but the features that
where added and the fixes that where implemented made a much
better Puppy "

" Just issue what we have got - officially. "

//////////

My view is that Two-Headed Dog 528 should have been released
as an official Puppy.

Too many good things went in and Sweet FA was left that was rubbish.

Plenty of official Pups weren't to this standard.

Plenty of variants were based on your good work and the help
of all the rest of the Puppy testers.

Plenty of times Barry just released an official...got bored.
And I understand that.

Let's be reasonable here.
When MS released Windows 7 they were bloody furious
when they found out that Intel left out a needed Sata Driver.

How many friggin' people tested that and it was unnoticed.

A rethink needed.

What will happen is that some people won't be bothered to test in future.
Cheesed off....and quite honestly where is the logic.
Flawed.

And floored a lot of the Puppy crowd here.
Every release brings us more grateful Puppy newbies.
This release is as friendly as you can get.

Slacko I haven't bothered with.
This is not out of disrespect to 01micko.
He's a great bloke.
But this seems to have too many problems.
Time will tell.

Chris.

majorfoo

#103 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.pet
Thanks Playdaz for quick response to my request for new Seamonkey pet.

I am running Three Headed Dog with new Seamonkey pet.
Have not encountered any problems with this version.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to Puppy.

majorfoo

playdayz

#104 Post by playdayz »

This has been my reaction to the quest for an updated Seamonkey .PET: being curious by nature and seeing that the available .PET versions are soon outdated, for about one year now I've been able to always use the most recent (and *localized*!) version of SeaMonkey by getting the plain-vanilla "seamonkey-XY.tar.bz2" straight from the project site, and unpacking it somewhere in a separate folder.
Yes capoverde, that is what I did when I was "on my own." It is convenient to have the pets, but as you say, browsers change rapidly nowadays.

capoverde

#105 Post by capoverde »

...Ahhhh, so it was your thoughts I was perceiving telepathically. Thanks once more! Even better than posting to the forum. :lol:

playdayz

#106 Post by playdayz »

Two-Headed Dog has done its job. Nothing horrible turned up, so I went back on my medication and released it officially as Lucid 5.2.8.

If you have been using Two-Headed Dog, it is identical to Lucid 5.2.8 except for the naming. You can switch to Lucid 5.2.8 by renaming the lucisave file to lupusave and booting the Lucid 5.2.8 Live-CD, or by renaming the lucisave to lupusave and then opening the Lucid 5.2.8 iso file and copying the Lucid 5.2.8 files into the luci-528 directory (for a frugal install).

As always, fresh installations are the easiest.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

stiginge

#107 Post by stiginge »

ilanrab wrote: I had the same exact wlan0 issue, right after the Two-Headed Dog 528 installation, an hour ago.
My installation process was:
1. USBflash frugal type. Copied 3 files from the CD image to my primary partition. copied the lupusave file to my 2nd partition. Renamed it to lucisave.
I rebooted.
2. Came up fine, except the wireless net was not connected. I did the SNS setup and was able to use Chromium to get onto the internet.
I rebooted.
3. Came up fine, except the wireless connection was not working. I tried using SNS first. Nothing seemed to help. No wireless net, in the area, was recognized at all. It kept pointing me to the main network window.
I mucked around with the non-SNS network settings, and that didn't help.
I shutdown the system.
4. Powered up. Everything came up fine, including the network. It has been fine ever since. I have rebooted several times since then, without any problems.

Something about the installation process messes up the network settings, but only for the second reboot. All further reboots seem to work fine.
It's every boot now for me, no connection whatsoever, network scan in network wizard not finding any network.

Code: Select all

ifconfig wlan0 up

siocsifflags: device not found
Last edited by stiginge on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

Colonel Panic

#108 Post by Colonel Panic »

I like the name, which is very close to "Dog of Two Head" (a Status Quo album), some of which I remember fondly from my teens :) Doubt that will have positive associations for many other Puppy users though.

More seriously, I prefer the look of the later Lucids to the earlier ones (such as 520). The wallpapers in particular are getting smarter now.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

TIW

#109 Post by TIW »

Hello. Thank you for another great Puppy. I wonder however, if someone could let me know, why I can not connect to the Internet by 3G modem. I am perfectly able to connect using Quirky 142. What is the difference between Lupu 528 and Quirky 142 in regard to Internet connection drivers ? Thanks for your help.

TIW

One problem sold. One new one appears.

#110 Post by TIW »

Hi again. The above problem of not being able to connect to the Internet by 3G modem has fixed itself. Don’t ask me how. I did a new install and was able to connect. That problem solved I encountered a new one.

The application bcrypt is not working. Since I do use it frequently with Quirky 142 I would really appreciate if I had it available in lucid 528 too.
Has anyone ells problems with bcrypt ? How can that be fixed ? Thank for your help.