Two-Headed Dog 528

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
keniv

#76 Post by keniv »

Hi Sylvander

I find it interesting that you are having trouble with sound on you-tube where as I had trouble with video on a BBC site. When I changed the flashplayer I did not uninstall the whole .pet. Instead I changed the libflashplayer. so file for one I knew that worked will an earlier version of Opera. As this file is found in /usr/lib/mozila/plugins I guess it is possible to do this with any browser. Originally I tried to set a new path to the "test" libflashplayer.so in Opera:config but I could not get it to stick even after "saving". Instead I moved the origional libflashplayer.so out of my savefile onto the hd (so as I could put it back if I had to) and replaced it with the one from Opera 10 in a in the 5.2.0 savefile also on the hd. I have seen pets for other flashplayers on the forum. I have also noticed that "right-click" offers to extract a pet. Perhaps you could download a few flashplayer pets, extract the libflashplayer.so file and try them. The one that worked for me is mentioned in an earlier post. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#77 Post by bigpup »

joe0855 wrote:Is there a clean way to update my 5.25 to 5.28? Could I just copy the save file from my 5.25 thumbdrive and paste it into a new 5.28 installation on another thumbdrive?
That is basically how you upgrade a frugal install. Use the old save file with the newer version frugal install.
You will need to make sure the save file gets renamed to lucisave. for first part of name.
That is the name 5.28 uses.
When you boot with the 5.28 thumb-drive it should use and update the save file.

The only issue you may have is two console icons on desktop overlapping each other. Delete one or just move them apart to have both. They run different terminals.
May run into other small issues. Upgrading a save file never seems to be 100%
Issues usually involve something not working because it was in 5.25 and is not in 5.28.
Example:
My desktop wallpaper changed because that old wallpaper is not in the newer version.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#78 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "How did you uninstall? "
Used PPM.
Clicked on the installed libflashplayer-10.3.181.22

2. "Where did you get the Pet file?"
Searched the Puppy forums and found a thread offering it.
Try installing the Flash player that is in Puppy Package Manager in 528.
YaPI(any iso installer)

keniv

#79 Post by keniv »

Hi All

Has anybody tried installing new urls to the preset buttons in pupradio. I tried to install various BBC stations from this site http://bbcstreams.com/. I used ones I already have working in pupradio 0.8 in 5.2.0. They do not work in 5.2.8. I have also tried them as bookmarks and used both mplayer and vlc but nothing has worked.

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#80 Post by Sylvander »

I've gone back to using Lupu-525, and now all is well.

i.e. Youtube videos have sound. :D

Is there much to be gained by updating to 528 once more?
...And attempting again to get sound in Youtube videos?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#81 Post by Béèm »

Sylvander wrote:Is there much to be gained by updating to 528 once more?
Difficult to say.
A lot depends on the HW and the driver for it I suppose.
In my case, not helpful for you I know, in 2HD or 3HD I don't have that problem.
Throughout the forum I see that sound problems aren't easy to diagnose.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Sylvander

#82 Post by Sylvander »

Thanks for your opinion Beem. :D

playdayz

#83 Post by playdayz »

IMHO, things are coming together very nicely in the Puppy World. Barry has been busy, and has just released an updated Wary, 5.1.3. He has also designated 01micko as Coordinator for the newest Official Puppy, Slacko, which will be released in 6 weeks or so. First off, that means, Slacko can use testers http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69798

With the release of Wary 5.1.3 now, and the upcoming release of Slacko, there is no need for an official release updating Lucid 5.2.5. The project to update Lucid was originally conceived as a way to get a Puppy release on the charts in the interim--not the purest of motives. This was to be a simple bug-fix release, but it assumed a life of its own. In brief, we made more changes and innovations than we had time to test.

All of the changes and innovations have been released as Two-Headed Dog.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Additionally, all of the changes and innovations plus the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel, the same one used in Slacko, have been released as Three-Headed Dog. So we get two for one.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70688

These two releases will be maintained--after all, Lucid is an LTS (Long Term Support) release.

Minnesota

Let me start the list of THANK YOU SIR:

#84 Post by Minnesota »

playdayz:

Let me start the list of THANK YOU SIR:

T H A N K Y O U!

:)

davec51

Very slow boot

#85 Post by davec51 »

I did a manual frugal installation on an ext3 partition (sda3). The files are contained in a directory called "puppy528" in the"/" position. It boots fine, but the stage "looking for puppy files . . ." takes about forty seconds, way longer than on any other Puppy. My menu.lst item looks like this:
# Puppy begins
title Puppy 528 Frugal
root (hd0,2)
kernel /puppy528/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /puppy528/initrd.gz

Any help to speed things up?

recobayu

#86 Post by recobayu »

Try the grub4dos.
Your problem can be solved as soon as possible
;)

davec51

#87 Post by davec51 »

"try the grub4DOS . . ." I don't have a Windows installation on this HD, so I don't think that would work.

playdayz

#88 Post by playdayz »

title Lucid Puppy luci-267 (on /dev/sda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /luci-267/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=copy psubdir=luci-267
initrd /luci-267/initrd.gz
The menu.lst for a frugal install should look like this (substituting your own directory name of course). The (hd0,1) could be different also. This is for sda2. sda3 would be (hd0,2).

Grub4dos would also work on a linux partition, despite the name--it would set things up automatically. I personally would try editing the menu.lst first.

Sylvander

#89 Post by Sylvander »

Sylvander wrote:I've gone back to using Lupu-525
Oh no, what a typo!
That should read "I've gone back to using Lupu-526".

bigpup

#90 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:I've gone back to using Lupu-525, and now all is well.

i.e. Youtube videos have sound. :D

Is there much to be gained by updating to 528 once more?
A lot of bug fixes.
Updates and improvements to some programs.
Improvements in general to help.

I think your problems may have been caused by the way you upgraded and how you got Flashplayer installed.

Try upgrading by this method:
Example:

(Names used are for example only)

Upgrade Puppy 5.0 to Puppy 5.2.5
Download the Puppy 5.2.5.iso file
In Rox-filer (file manager)
Make a new directory like /Puppy525
Left click on Puppy 5.2.5.iso file to open it.
Copy these 3 files to /Puppy525 directory.
initrd.gz
Puppy_525.sfs
vmlinuz
Copy the Puppy 5.0 Puppysave.Xfs file (Your old save file) and place in the /Puppy525 directory.
There are now 4 files in the new /Puppy525 directory.

Run the boot loader configuration program for the boot loader you are using to make a boot option for the new Puppy 5.2.5
When Puppy 5.2.5 boots it will use and update the save file and programs.
When Puppy 5.2.5 seems to be working OK you can delete Puppy 5.0.

Flashplayer does not come installed in 528.
Any browser you installed in 525 should be in the old save file.
So see if you still have it.
Run that browser.
528 has a option that pops up, the first time a browser is run, that gives option to download and install latest Flashplayer. If you get that option use that to install Flashplayer.
If you do not get that option, when first running a browser, maybe Flashplayer was also in your old save file.
Try a You Tube video and see what happens.
If you still need Flashplayer,
Get it from Puppy Package Manager in 528.
YaPI(any iso installer)

davec51

Slow boot solved!

#91 Post by davec51 »

"Quote:
title Lucid Puppy luci-267 (on /dev/sda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /luci-267/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=copy psubdir=luci-267
initrd /luci-267/initrd.gz
The menu.lst for a frugal install should look like this (substituting your own directory name of course). The (hd0,1) could be different also. This is for sda2. sda3 would be (hd0,2)."

I used your recommended entry in my menu.lst and the program found the correct Puppy files in less than one second, as opposed to over forty seconds with my inept entry.

Thanks, Playdayz. You have helped me before and I appreciate it.
For my education: was it the "pmedia . . ." or the psubdir . . ." item that made the difference?

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

It will be even faster by adding "pdev1=sda2". Now you have told Puppy exactly where the sfs file is.

ilanrab

#93 Post by ilanrab »

stiginge wrote:I cannot connect to the wireless network using either SNS or Network wizard. When I select 'wlan0' from within SNS it doesn't seem to pick up my network or any networks...
I had the same exact wlan0 issue, right after the Two-Headed Dog 528 installation, an hour ago.
My installation process was:
1. USBflash frugal type. Copied 3 files from the CD image to my primary partition. copied the lupusave file to my 2nd partition. Renamed it to lucisave.
I rebooted.
2. Came up fine, except the wireless net was not connected. I did the SNS setup and was able to use Chromium to get onto the internet.
I rebooted.
3. Came up fine, except the wireless connection was not working. I tried using SNS first. Nothing seemed to help. No wireless net, in the area, was recognized at all. It kept pointing me to the main network window.
I mucked around with the non-SNS network settings, and that didn't help.
I shutdown the system.
4. Powered up. Everything came up fine, including the network. It has been fine ever since. I have rebooted several times since then, without any problems.

Something about the installation process messes up the network settings, but only for the second reboot. All further reboots seem to work fine.
[b]ir[/b]

joe0855

#94 Post by joe0855 »

bigpup wrote:
joe0855 wrote:Is there a clean way to update my 5.25 to 5.28? Could I just copy the save file from my 5.25 thumbdrive and paste it into a new 5.28 installation on another thumbdrive?
That is basically how you upgrade a frugal install. Use the old save file with the newer version frugal install.
You will need to make sure the save file gets renamed to lucisave. for first part of name.
That is the name 5.28 uses.
When you boot with the 5.28 thumb-drive it should use and update the save file.

The only issue you may have is two console icons on desktop overlapping each other. Delete one or just move them apart to have both. They run different terminals.
May run into other small issues. Upgrading a save file never seems to be 100%
Issues usually involve something not working because it was in 5.25 and is not in 5.28.
Example:
My desktop wallpaper changed because that old wallpaper is not in the newer version.
Thanks bigpup!

ICPUG

I have a dilemma

#95 Post by ICPUG »

A newbie comes up and says I like your Puppy. How do I get it?

I ask them what hardware they have and get told it is fairly modern.

What do I say?

Do I point at the official Puppy 5.2.5 and say you also need to download the instant update 01, ... We all like doing that!

Do I point at Two-Headed Dog 528 even though it is a derivative and not an official Pup. We know there are bugs in it but:

Are there any features that were bugless in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 but have become buggy in Two Headed Dog 528?

If the answer to that last question is NO then surely Two Headed Dog is better than Lucid 5.2.5 (cos it has more features and it includes the instant updates - a prime driver for the 5.2.5 update in the first place).

For that reason alone this should be the latest Official Lucid Puppy instead of 5.2.5. It would not require any more bug reports to be read. Just issue what we have got - officially. It would be nice to identify in the release notes the features of 528 that are buggy (experimental!) but I don't want to make extra work so ignore that request if you want.

Citing the Wary 5.1.3 release and impending Slacko as a reason not to continue the Lupu line officially seems illogical to me.

I use Wary on my old clunker but it isn't exactly beautilicious and looks out of place in comparison with other distros on newer hardware.

Slacko may indeed be the next step although we are not sure when it will arrive.

I was also devastated to read, on the same day that Playdayz cancelled the next official Lupu, that the latest update of Slacko would no longer boot straight to desktop! Now I don't give a toss about that but newbies like it!

Any answers to the emboldened question above and my dilemma appreciated.

Playdayz - if the answer to that emboldened question is NO please reconsider and make this Two Headed Pup an official Lupu.