Two-Headed Dog 528

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
keniv

#61 Post by keniv »

Hello Bigpup

I posted after you post about ram usage and flash but I dont know where it has gone and so I am posting again. I noticed the same pattern as you did with respect to ram usage and flash also cpu usage was affected. I did try unticking the "enable plugins only on demand box" and this time the flash video on the BBC site played properly. I dont know why the sound only should play with the box ticked. However, this left me without flashblock on other sites. I seemed to remember with Opera 9 there was a flashblock which used java script. As I could not find this I have change libflashplayer.so to the one I was using in Opera 10 when everything worked. This one is 10.0 r32. This one plays the video on the BBCs site, the flashblock works and video on you-tube also plays. Ram and cpu demand is also down based on htop. It also still puts the video into tmp and so it is easy to keep a copy. I expect there will be problems in using this older version of flash but I have not found it yet.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#62 Post by bigpup »

keniv,

Thanks for the info on Flashplayer.
Seems like the developers of that thing will never get it to not make problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#63 Post by Béèm »

bigpup wrote:For everyone who sees high ram usage.
Run a browser.
Run Htop program.
See if you are seeing the same thing I am.
Flashplayer plugin is constantly going up and down in ram usage.
This could be causing CPU cycle usage also.
More problems with Flashplayer. :shock:
Indeed I see this also.
I went to see the flasplayer website and it was mentioned to look at the preferences.
I took the flashplayer thingy at the right top of this forum but preferences are grayed out.
So I seem to be at a dead end.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

keniv

#64 Post by keniv »

Hello Bigpup

Yes it certainly seems to produce a lot of problems. If anybody comes up with a better solution then I would certainly try it as I am a bit concerned about using this older version. However, with the older hardware I have got flash is a bit jerky in a browser. With this older version of flash I can start it then pause and minimize the browser then play the file in mplayer and it is perfectly smooth. There is an advantage to using the older version for me. I will post if I come across any problems with using the older version.

Regards,

Ken.

aarf

#65 Post by aarf »

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#66 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:Installed my usual way, FRUGAL Lin'N'Win.
Activated my applications environment, which did run without problems.
However 528 sems to need some more cpu cycles and runs hotter, as I hear the fan quite often. (running for the moment at 75°C and only SeaMonkey active.

Don't know how pemasu does it, but his latest dpup 5.0.0.5 runs much cooler and seems snappier.
I don't know if this is significant
2HD 528 kernel 2.6.33.2 graphic driver radeon
spup 312 kernel 2.6.37.6 graphic driver radeon
dpup 5005 kernel 2.6.39.3 graphic driver vesa (radeon doesn't work)

Could it be that the higher the kernel, the cooler the machine runs?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bigpup

#67 Post by bigpup »

I went to see the flasplayer website and it was mentioned to look at the preferences.
I took the flashplayer thingy at the right top of this forum but preferences are grayed out.
So I seem to be at a dead end.
There is this website for Flashplayer settings.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html

menu->internet->Adobe Flash Player Config

Not sure which one works in Puppy. The website info says the one in the menu should be the one to use if you have it installed.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#68 Post by bigpup »

keniv wrote:Hello Bigpup

Yes it certainly seems to produce a lot of problems. If anybody comes up with a better solution then I would certainly try it as I am a bit concerned about using this older version. However, with the older hardware I have got flash is a bit jerky in a browser. With this older version of flash I can start it then pause and minimize the browser then play the file in mplayer and it is perfectly smooth. There is an advantage to using the older version for me. I will post if I come across any problems with using the older version.

Regards,

Ken.
Sometimes with computers and software, it comes down to what works for you, works for you.
May not work for me, but you are not me.

With Puppy Linux we have to live with the fact that it does not have every possible combination of programs and drives needed by every piece of known hardware, all preinstalled in the operating system package.
Windows tries to and see how big that thing is. 4GB and growing.

One thing I have to do with videos is to hold off playing until it has downloaded for a while, because my download speed can not keep up with streaming video speeds. Also changing the quality setting to 240p helps.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#69 Post by keniv »

The menu->internet->Adobe Flash Player Config seems to work form me in that I can delete the local storage settings. I have not tried to do anything else. If you delete all the previous settings I guess it gives you a "clean start".

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#70 Post by Sylvander »

I updated from Lupu-526 to Luci-528.
Renamed the lupusave file to lucisave.
Deleted the old SFS file.
Copied the Luci-528 SFS file into its place beside the lucisave.
Booted the Luci-528 CD-RW, and it [found the SFS and] updated the lucisave just fine.

BUT...
Youtube vieos have only images; no sound. :(

Tried uninstalling the old flashplayer version, and installed flashplayer-10.3.181.34 using a PET file.
Made no difference.

Downloaded the tar.gz file for the latest version = 10.3.183.5, and copied the latest libflashplayer.so file in place of the old version.
Made no difference.

Anyone know how to get sound to work in Youtube videos?

James C

#71 Post by James C »

Sylvander wrote:I updated from Lupu-526 to Luci-528.
Renamed the lupusave file to lucisave.
Deleted the old SFS file.
Copied the Luci-528 SFS file into its place beside the lucisave.
Booted the Luci-528 CD-RW, and it [found the SFS and] updated the lucisave just fine.

BUT...
Youtube vieos have only images; no sound. :(

Tried uninstalling the old flashplayer version, and installed flashplayer-10.3.181.34 using a PET file.
Made no difference.

Downloaded the tar.gz file for the latest version = 10.3.183.5, and copied the latest libflashplayer.so file in place of the old version.
Made no difference.

FWIW, no problems here with Youtube video on 528 (sound loud and clear) with SeaMonkey 2.2 and Flash 10.3r183 which is what was automatically downloaded.
Perhaps something got corrupted during the upgrade?I haven't had the best of luck with upgrades so I generally just do fresh installs.

Sylvander

#72 Post by Sylvander »

Yikes, wouldn't want to be forced to begin afresh! :(

Would rather go back to 526 than do that.

bigpup

#73 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:Tried uninstalling the old flashplayer version, and installed flashplayer-10.3.181.34 using a PET file.
Made no difference.

How did you uninstall?
Where did you get the Pet file?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#74 Post by Sylvander »

1. "How did you uninstall? "
Used PPM.
Clicked on the installed libflashplayer-10.3.181.22

2. "Where did you get the Pet file?"
Searched the Puppy forums and found a thread offering it.

joe0855

#75 Post by joe0855 »

Is there a clean way to update my 5.25 to 5.28? Could I just copy the save file from my 5.25 thumbdrive and paste it into a new 5.28 installation on another thumbdrive?

keniv

#76 Post by keniv »

Hi Sylvander

I find it interesting that you are having trouble with sound on you-tube where as I had trouble with video on a BBC site. When I changed the flashplayer I did not uninstall the whole .pet. Instead I changed the libflashplayer. so file for one I knew that worked will an earlier version of Opera. As this file is found in /usr/lib/mozila/plugins I guess it is possible to do this with any browser. Originally I tried to set a new path to the "test" libflashplayer.so in Opera:config but I could not get it to stick even after "saving". Instead I moved the origional libflashplayer.so out of my savefile onto the hd (so as I could put it back if I had to) and replaced it with the one from Opera 10 in a in the 5.2.0 savefile also on the hd. I have seen pets for other flashplayers on the forum. I have also noticed that "right-click" offers to extract a pet. Perhaps you could download a few flashplayer pets, extract the libflashplayer.so file and try them. The one that worked for me is mentioned in an earlier post. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#77 Post by bigpup »

joe0855 wrote:Is there a clean way to update my 5.25 to 5.28? Could I just copy the save file from my 5.25 thumbdrive and paste it into a new 5.28 installation on another thumbdrive?
That is basically how you upgrade a frugal install. Use the old save file with the newer version frugal install.
You will need to make sure the save file gets renamed to lucisave. for first part of name.
That is the name 5.28 uses.
When you boot with the 5.28 thumb-drive it should use and update the save file.

The only issue you may have is two console icons on desktop overlapping each other. Delete one or just move them apart to have both. They run different terminals.
May run into other small issues. Upgrading a save file never seems to be 100%
Issues usually involve something not working because it was in 5.25 and is not in 5.28.
Example:
My desktop wallpaper changed because that old wallpaper is not in the newer version.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#78 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "How did you uninstall? "
Used PPM.
Clicked on the installed libflashplayer-10.3.181.22

2. "Where did you get the Pet file?"
Searched the Puppy forums and found a thread offering it.
Try installing the Flash player that is in Puppy Package Manager in 528.
YaPI(any iso installer)

keniv

#79 Post by keniv »

Hi All

Has anybody tried installing new urls to the preset buttons in pupradio. I tried to install various BBC stations from this site http://bbcstreams.com/. I used ones I already have working in pupradio 0.8 in 5.2.0. They do not work in 5.2.8. I have also tried them as bookmarks and used both mplayer and vlc but nothing has worked.

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#80 Post by Sylvander »

I've gone back to using Lupu-525, and now all is well.

i.e. Youtube videos have sound. :D

Is there much to be gained by updating to 528 once more?
...And attempting again to get sound in Youtube videos?