Printer Sharing Vista - Puppy 3.01

Using applications, configuring, problems
Satellite4000CDS

Printer Sharing Vista - Puppy 3.01

#1 Post by Satellite4000CDS »

Hi,

I have a Desktop PC which runs Vista 32 ultimate, and a Satellite 4000CDS with Puppy 3.01.
They're connected to the same network, hp printer installed on the Vista machine. Now i was wondering if its possible to share the printer so i can print directly from the Puppy machine.

Thx
4000CDS-puppy-lover

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Presumably if you share the printer from Windows in the same way as you would share it with another windows machine, then you can print to it with CUPS in Puppy if you have a Linux driver for it. This is easy with older versions of Windows, but considering they have tried their utmost to prevent you from actually doing anything in Vista, it might be a little bit harder - check out the Windows help.

Once you have Vista sharing the printer, you should be able to install the printer in Puppy by choosing "Windows printer via SAMBA" in the CUPS printer setup wizard, and telling it the address of the printer. Unfortunately, people were having great trouble with CUPS and specifically with network printing in Puppy 3.x, and I'm not sure if they found out how to make it work - you might have to search the forum.

Also, if you want, you can set up a Samba server in Puppy and do it the other way - have the printer on the Puppy machine and print to it from Windows.

If there isn't a Linux driver for your printer (there probably is with an hp), it is a bit trickier to print from puppy, but still possible http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GenericShar ... rOnWindows