Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Squeeze 5x D-Lite
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 9 [130 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2011, 20:36    Post subject: Thanks Stu90  

Thanks Stu90,

I'm downloading D-Lite now. But I'm about to chill for awhile. I'll report back once its frugally installed and I have something useful to say.

Edit: Temporarily back from chilling. Frugal install of D-Lite on the following system:

Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
Resolution: 1600x900x24 pixels
VGA compatible controller: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
From Lupu 5.25
aplay --list-devies reports:
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital
I'll install Hardinfo later and see what D-Lite sees.

The important information is that D-Lite had no difficulty via Xorg providing the best resolution on my system without my having to specify "radeon modeset=0" in the kernel argument. I was able to use "probe" rather than having to "choose" my graphics driver. Thank you Stu90. No difficulty creating SaveFile, and my wireless setting were retained on reboot.

Stu, I would think that it would it be helpful to Barry and devs if a thread or threads were started in which Users and Beginners were to provide detailed information regarding those graphics cards which pose difficulties. Something such as:

ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics. No SaveFile can be created by Slacko 311.37 unless Kernel argument radeon modeset=0 is specified; and
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics. Maximum screen resolution cannot be obtained by Exprimo unless Kernel argument radeon modeset=0 is specified.
Just from reading the treads, my recollection is that those problems have three variables: kernel, xorgwizard version, and specific graphics card. My card posed a problem to Exprimo, but not to your build or Iguleder's. Others having a different Ati Radeon card experienced different results. Perhaps if the devs had a broad enough survey the problem could be identified or a workaround developed.
I'd suggest it myself, but coming from someone who understands what is involved in building a puplet it might be more significant to devs and testers.

Other information: Both Opera 11 and Firefox 5 are running from /mnt/home without difficulty, including flash which downloaded as soon as I started Opera. Similarly, wine-1.3.3-Lucid and the usual XP portables run without a hitch.

More after I've had some sleep and a chance to explore.

mikesLr
stu90

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 06:54    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing and feed back guys - results seem to be a bit of a mixed bag Sad

I have made a new upload of D-Lite with a different xorg_base - i wish i could say i knew what i was doing but im really just shooting in the wind when it comes to these xorg issues. Embarassed

Edit:
Some other stuff i forgot to mention - if you left click on the clock in the tint2 panel it opens mygtkmenu - i made a little text editor (menuedit in the menu) for editing the menu items, the menu it uses is the mygtkmenu.txt one - right mouse click on the clock will open terminal.

Another application i forgot to mention and forgot to make a menu entry for is simpleshot for taking screen shots - you can use it from the terminal with the command: simpleshot

Ymound 0.8 is now included for drive management.

full res:
http://i.imgur.com/IGHUA.png

See top of first post on page 1 for latest version
Download (78mb):
link removed

cheers

Last edited by stu90 on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:07; edited 2 times in total
stu90

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 07:59    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Stu90. For getting cpu temp info to the conky, I have used script /usr/bin/tempcpu and in conky.conf there is a row which calls it.

I attach my transparent conky pet here just that you can study how to get cpu temp reading. Extract the pet, check that separate script and conky.conf row howto call it.

Thanks Pemasu,
missed it it this upload but have it now ready for next upload - interesting thing i noticed about disabling pinboard is that conkys transparency works correctly even after changing wallpapers.

cheers.
DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:55    Post subject:  

same black screen Sad
stu90

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 14:43    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
same black screen Sad

Hi DaveS
Thanks for sticking with it and testing - i have managed to get radeon auto detected with the dpup xorg_base package Razz
i haven't changed anything else in there relating to other drivers like i did in the first two builds so hopefully this next build should work.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 14:49    Post subject:  

Good news, stu90 - I reduced the number of packages in Squeeze from 406 in alpha 2 to 271. I guess it won't boot, because I stripped so many stuff.

It's totally naked, no multimedia support at all now. Many leftover libraries and junk is out ... the plan is to build a Puppy with this truly barebones base and Fluxbox, then build some very minimalistic desktop. Very Happy

Thanks for the inspiration and for showing me the way when I get lost in sweet E17 and Firefox dreams Smile

jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 16:03    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
Thanks for testing and feed back guys - results seem to be a bit of a mixed bag Sad

I have made a new upload of D-Lite with a different xorg_base - i wish i could say i knew what i was doing but im really just shooting in the wind when it comes to these xorg issues. Embarassed

Edit:
Some other stuff i forgot to mention - if you left click on the clock in the tint2 panel it opens mygtkmenu - i made a little text editor (menuedit in the menu) for editing the menu items, the menu it uses is the mygtkmenu.txt one - right mouse click on the clock will open terminal.

Another application i forgot to mention and forgot to make a menu entry for is simpleshot for taking screen shots - you can use it from the terminal with the command: simpleshot

Ymound 0.8 is now included for drive management.

full res:
http://i.imgur.com/IGHUA.png

Download (78mb):
http://ubuntuone.com/p/18ha/

Md5:
e9c4ec0c8df438221414fcc248b54148
squeeze-5.0.3.iso

cheers

stu downloaded x3 couldn't get correct checksums nor mount and copy files.
James C

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 16:20    Post subject:  

For what its worth, got a good md5 here on first try.
5.0.3.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   57.01 KB
 Viewed   1051 Time(s)

5.0.3.JPG

jim3630

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 19:47    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
For what its worth, got a good md5 here on first try.

ok, it's me then will try again.

--------
tried again with aria2c and failed, noted it did not have the total size and give the usual % as it downloaded. now got matching checksums by using browser builtin downloader, wget iirc.
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 01:12    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Good news, stu90 - I reduced the number of packages in Squeeze from 406 in alpha 2 to 271. I guess it won't boot, because I stripped so many stuff.

It's totally naked, no multimedia support at all now. Many leftover libraries and junk is out ... the plan is to build a Puppy with this truly barebones base and Fluxbox, then build some very minimalistic desktop. Very Happy

Thanks for the inspiration and for showing me the way when I get lost in sweet E17 and Firefox dreams Smile

Thanks Iguleder Cool

You removed a fair few packages there what size did you get the .iso down to?

After much trial, error and comparison im pretty sure the problem in the dpup xorg_core package is a fairly simple one due a lack of lib_drmradeon and its sym-links.

In the past two build i corrected this but also messed up some sym-links for some of the other driver libs so that probably explains why DaveS and jim3630 couldn't get to the desktop - hopefully now both issues should be corrected in this new build (uploading now) Razz

I seem to have dropped 10mb of ram usage as well -with your new 2.6.39 kernel openbox + tint2 + conky for me is is using 40mb ram Shocked Very Happy
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 01:19    Post subject:  

jim3630 wrote:

stu downloaded x3 couldn't get correct checksums nor mount and copy files.

Hi jim3630,
I think this maybe has something to do with the ubuntu one hosting - i am/was using it uploading through web browser but the service seems to be buggy - one of the upload used my internet bandwidth but didn't show up in the file list Confused

I have uploaded the next build with ftp to Smokey01's server.

cheers.
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 01:26    Post subject:  

New build 5.0.5 is uploaded - added a new wallpaper and updated to Ymount 0.8.1 - this build is using the dpup xorg_core package so hopefully this should boot for every one Razz

See top of first post on page one for latest version
Download (78mb) :
link removed

Last edited by stu90 on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:09; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 03:51    Post subject:  

OK, great. Got a functioning system now. I have a question.... why does the 23oz theme (GTK) not work?
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 04:18    Post subject:  

Stu90. Could you post for me or pm the prochedure which you did to get radeon working.
And it is helpful to hear that radeon problem has been hopefully resolved. I would like to implement your fix to my next version.
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2011, 06:13    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
OK, great. Got a functioning system now. I have a question.... why does the 23oz theme (GTK) not work?

Hi DaveS that is good to hear you can now get to desktop Smile

Regarding themes i removed wrong package, i have corrected this for the next build but in the meantime this .pet should work.

cheers.
gtk2-engines-pixbuf.pet
Description  pixbuf theme engine
pet

Download 
Filename  gtk2-engines-pixbuf.pet 
Filesize  14.31 KB 
Downloaded  248 Time(s) 
Page 2 of 9 [130 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: