Squeeze 5x D-Lite

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeslr

Upgrade to dlite05 hung on 02's SaveFile

#41 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

While in Slacko, I downloaded dlite05, moved 02's boot files into a 2nd level directory (just in case), but left the SaveFile because (a) I wanted to see what would happen and (b) I'm lazy and hadn't added anything that would have effected the system files. Then I unpacked dlite05 into the dlite directory, rebooted and chose dlite from Grub4dos menu.
dlite recognized the 02 SaveFile and gave me the chose of pressing "Enter" to use it, or any other key to boot "pfix=ram." I selected "Enter" and nothing happened. After a while, I pressed another key. Still nothing. Tried Ctl-Alt-delete to shut down. Still nothing. Had to pull the plug.
Rebooted into Lupu 636, moved the 02 SaveFile into the 2nd level directory and rebooted into dlite05 without incident.
I think I have resolution at 1600x900x24 via "probe" --note my graphics is Ati Radeon-- but will confirm once I install Hardinfo. Edit: Confirmed & using Ati Radeon --this is the builtiin 3100 graphics card.
Opera 11 ran from mnt/home and downloaded Flash. Rebooted creating SaveFile without incident. My WEP setting had been retained and was able to immediately play a Youtube vid with sound.
One thing I've noticed with ALL recent dpups is that the tray volume icon Always shows the "x" one would expect when sound is muted. Left-clicking the icon will mute and unmute sound, but the "x" never disappears.

More later after I've explored some.

Edit: I miss having desktop partition icons. Anyway to get them?

mikesLr

DaveS

#42 Post by DaveS »

cant use package manager. busted link.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Billtoo

Squeeze 5x D-Lite

#43 Post by Billtoo »

Manusl frugal install, installed xorg_high.
Added devx and a few apps.
Sound,network okay.
It's working well :)

Mon 8 Aug 2011 Operating System: D-Lite Puppy-5.0.5 Linux 2.6.39
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nv
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

stu90

#44 Post by stu90 »

Bert wrote:Squeeze 5x D-Lite has problems with my wide screen monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster BX2235. Both 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 have this problem and so has pemasu's Esprimo...

Whatever I try with Xorg Wizard or with the screen's own settings buttons, there's a black rim to the left, not filled by the desktop.
Only the screen's maximal resolution (1900 x 1050 or something like that) is displayed without flickering, but still with the black rim, about 6 cm wide.

After selecting the 1900 resolution, I can go back to lower resolutions without flickering , but with black rims on both sides of the desktop.

When Firefox is maximized the buttons at the right hand upper corner are out of the window, so not available for use.

The taskbar/ tray at the bottom is barely visible, about 2 mm high. When clicked it rises maybe another 2 mm, but stays just an empty dark bar.

Just reporting :wink:
Thanks for reporting Bert,

To be honest im not sure what is causing your problems or what to suggest to try and fix it - if you can open package manager maybe try installing the accelerated graphics from the debain repository:
libgl1-mesa-dri_7.7.1-4_i386.deb
and
mesa-utils.deb
Sorry i can't be of more help Bert :(

stu90

#45 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:
do you have a wl.ko pet?
Hi Jim3630,
No i have no .pet for this - i wouldn't know where to start with compiling kernels and drivers and the like - maybe pemasu has posted a .pet for this as he seems to be well up on wifi ?

lowrider

#46 Post by lowrider »

Sound, Video, Wireless. Everything works fine here. Thx again.

Just one thing that i have not find out yet. How to get the right weather code from AccuWeather.com for my location in Germany so i can modify the .conkyrc?

stu90

Re: Upgrade to dlite05 hung on 02's SaveFile

#47 Post by stu90 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

While in Slacko, I downloaded dlite05, moved 02's boot files into a 2nd level directory (just in case), but left the SaveFile because (a) I wanted to see what would happen and (b) I'm lazy and hadn't added anything that would have effected the system files. Then I unpacked dlite05 into the dlite directory, rebooted and chose dlite from Grub4dos menu.
dlite recognized the 02 SaveFile and gave me the chose of pressing "Enter" to use it, or any other key to boot "pfix=ram." I selected "Enter" and nothing happened. After a while, I pressed another key. Still nothing. Tried Ctl-Alt-delete to shut down. Still nothing. Had to pull the plug.
Rebooted into Lupu 636, moved the 02 SaveFile into the 2nd level directory and rebooted into dlite05 without incident.
I think I have resolution at 1600x900x24 via "probe" --note my graphics is Ati Radeon-- but will confirm once I install Hardinfo. Edit: Confirmed & using Ati Radeon --this is the builtiin 3100 graphics card.
Opera 11 ran from mnt/home and downloaded Flash. Rebooted creating SaveFile without incident. My WEP setting had been retained and was able to immediately play a Youtube vid with sound.
One thing I've noticed with ALL recent dpups is that the tray volume icon Always shows the "x" one would expect when sound is muted. Left-clicking the icon will mute and unmute sound, but the "x" never disappears.

More later after I've explored some.

Edit: I miss having desktop partition icons. Anyway to get them?

mikesLr
Hello mikesLr,
Probably not a good idea to use existing save file as there has been a kernel upgrade as well as a few changed in the xorg_base package along the way - so i imagine the potential for this to break will be pretty high.

Regarding the partitions - if you left mouse click on the clock in the tint2 panel it will open mygtkmenu - second entry Ymount can be used for managing / mounting / unmounting drive and partitions.

The top item in the mygtkmenu 'Desk' can be used to toggle the rox pinboard on / off - when toggle on you should see drives on the desktop like normal puppy.
This is only for the session though - if you restart x or reboot the default is for off.

stu90

#48 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:cant use package manager. busted link.
Hi DaveS,
Do you mean the menu entry for ppm is broken or you can't download anything from ppm?

DaveS

#49 Post by DaveS »

stu90 wrote:
Hi DaveS,
Do you mean the menu entry for ppm is broken or you can't download anything from ppm?
cant download from nuulg (did I remember that right?)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

stu90

Re: Squeeze 5x D-Lite

#50 Post by stu90 »

Billtoo wrote:Manusl frugal install, installed xorg_high.
Added devx and a few apps.
Sound,network okay.
It's working well :)

Mon 8 Aug 2011 Operating System: D-Lite Puppy-5.0.5 Linux 2.6.39
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nv
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
Thanks for feedback Billtoo,
Did you install the Xorg_High from Lucid puppy?
I think it is not advised to use that .pet for debain puppy but instead to install from the ppm:
and
mesa-utils.deb
This is the same thing but using debain packages instead of ubuntu.

cheers.

stu90

#51 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:
stu90 wrote:
Hi DaveS,
I think this may be one of Iguleder packages you are trying to download? - when prompted for download try selecting www.Iguleder.info repository.

DaveS

#52 Post by DaveS »

stu90 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
stu90 wrote: Hi DaveS,
I think this may be one of Iguleder packages you are trying to download? - when prompted for download try selecting www.Iguleder.info repository.
no, I just wanted to add pfind and nuulg was the only option.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Billtoo

Re: Squeeze 5x D-Lite

#53 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote: Thanks for feedback Billtoo,
Did you install the Xorg_High from Lucid puppy?
I think it is not advised to use that .pet for debain puppy but instead to install from the ppm:
and
mesa-utils.deb
This is the same thing but using debain packages instead of ubuntu.

cheers.
Yes, I used the lucid xorg_high.
I found that installing kdegames from ppm broke my vlc, and I recompiled vlc which fixed that but broke kdegames so mixing libs isn't good.I'm going to try installing kdegames again and see if I can not download the qt4 debs in the process.

edit: I got them both working by compiling qt473 which took some time.
Save file is backed up :)
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(21.96 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

#54 Post by Bert »

For Dave. I had it in my .pets collection :wink:
Attachments
pfind-4.22.pet
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

DaveS

#55 Post by DaveS »

Bert wrote:For Dave. I had it in my .pets collection :wink:
Thanks Bert :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#56 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi stu90,

Great job! Very nice selection of minimum applications and they all appear to work fine.

Consider:
1. Revert back to Nathan's wallpaper setter. Your's gives no options and it's nice to have a thumbnail of the wallpaper.
2. For your menu Terminal select, please use Urxvt or something that has a normal bar. I have a hard time remembering commands and it took a while for me to remember how to exit. There are probably others with the same problem.

I've only tested one additional application, Firefox 6, which works fine. Now to see what else I can add. Thank you for a fast, solid distribution that makes a great platform to create a custom distribution that fits ones own taste.

EDIT: One problem that I just discovered when trying to add my printer "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:631".

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#57 Post by jim3630 »

stu90 wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
do you have a wl.ko pet?
Hi Jim3630,
No i have no .pet for this - i wouldn't know where to start with compiling kernels and drivers and the like - maybe pemasu has posted a .pet for this as he seems to be well up on wifi ?
Stu for the 2.6.39 kernels pemasu has built in many 3rd party drivers. He mentioned in another thread hoped all the dpups would use his kernels thus have those 3rd party drivers built in as well. :lol:

pemasu

#58 Post by pemasu »

I want to correct that I hoped all the dpups use same kernel. I didnt mean to use mine. I will wait next Iguleders kernel and lets see if kernel traffic settles down.

Main reason is that same third party kernel module drivers fits to all dpups.

Stu90. Thank you of your nice accuweather scripts. I picked them up from your dpup. It was quite difficult to find out the finnish code but I succeeded in it. I found it from the finnish weather links page. I just couldnt figure out how to get it from accuweather.com rss address page.

jim3630

#59 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I want to correct that I hoped all the dpups use same kernel. I didnt mean to use mine. I will wait next Iguleders kernel and lets see if kernel traffic settles down.

Main reason is that same third party kernel module drivers fits to all dpups.
I stand corrected. sorry if miss-paraphrased.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#60 Post by Béèm »

lowrider wrote:Sound, Video, Wireless. Everything works fine here. Thx again.

Just one thing that i have not find out yet. How to get the right weather code from AccuWeather.com for my location in Germany so i can modify the .conkyrc?
Select your location
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]