#1 Post by stu90 »

full res:
http://i.imgur.com/0aXMU.png

14-08-2011 - updated .iso to version 5.0.8:

- Back with 2.6.39-4 kernel
- Update to Ymount 0.9
- earlier feh version
- update downloader

There has been some talk on Barry's blog about possible problems during the build process with woof and 2.6.39.x kernel - i haven't noticed anything missing but then i don't know the ins and outs of puppy that well to tell for sure, this build seems to work ok for me though so i think i will stick with 5.0.8 for a while and see what pans out.

I will have a look through the other dpup threads and see if there are any bugs i can fix on D-lite - theres also a couple of other little things i want to look into at as well - and maybe try and build a pet for printer use.

Download (78mb):
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/squeeze-5.0.8.iso

Md5:
13fb7cd84467cfd8772daac6ea45a5dc
squeeze-5.0.8.iso

Devx (92mb):
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/devx_squeeze_5.0.8.sfs

Md5:
c4cb6c3d63a33ea66cf4a7e822ff01f0
devx_squeeze_5.0.8.sfs

-------------------------------------------------------------------
13-08-2011 - updated .iso to version 5.0.7: <-- old
- This build is with Pemasu's kernel-2.6.39-3-lupe28
- Fixed some missing menu items
- Added weather code list for conky in /root/.conky
- New dark wallpaper
- Added .sfs downloader v 0.2

Download: (78mb)
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/squeeze-5.0.7.iso

Md5:
8992bee15b1ba39f49d9b341b0636a2b squeeze-5.0.7.iso

------------------------------------------------------------------
07-08-2011 - updated .iso to version 5.0.5: <-- old
Download (78mb)
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/squeeze-5.0.5.iso

md5:
d931a78839f2dca93415e4d2922f2320 squeeze-5.0.5.iso

-----------------------------------------------

Hello,
Here is a 'lite' woof build of Dpup Squeeze 5x - I have removed most of the default applications and have done some changes to the core as a few of us in the squeezed bug thread were having problems getting to a working desktop.

I have removed E17 windows manager the default now is Openbox and Tint2 panel (JWM is still there) - there are a few changes from a traditional puppy as the rox pinboard is disabled, meaning no desktop icons - i have made a switch to toggle pinboard on/off in the menu but this is not persistent, the default is off, you can manage your drives with pmount or the excellent Ymount http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69283

With rox pinboard turned off i have used feh image viewer for setting the background and made a wallpaper setter GUI for it (fehwall) - the wallpaper setter will also set the pinboard background as well so if you toggle the pinboard on/off you will see the same wallpaper background.

Conky is on by default and shouldn't now have any problem with changing wallpaper and the conky background not matching - you will probably need to do some minor edit to the /root/.conkyrc file to set it up for your system and location for the weather script.

I have rolled Rox-filer back to an earlier version as the current version would spaz out when trying to enter the /proc directory when thumbnail images are enabled.

When toggling the pinboard i notice the drive icons were missing when running with out a save file - after setting up a save file they appear ok.

- Kernel is 2.6.39 ( just noticed Iguleder has uploaded a new kernel grrrr)
- apps added: openbox - tint2 - feh - scrot - mygtkmenu - lm-sensors - picscale - midnight commander - unicode-rxvt.

I also added a tint2 theme maker and theme switcher i made but forgot to add menu entries - you can run them from terminal:
theme maker - tint2set
theme switcher - tint2switch

Enable pup-dpup-official repository in the puppy package manager and seach/install mplayer2 for media playback.

There is probably some other stuff i need mention but cant think of any thing else right now.

See top of post for latest version
Download (77mb):
link removed

Big thanks to Iguleder and Pemasu.
Last edited by stu90 on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 03:05, edited 5 times in total.

Iguleder

#2 Post by Iguleder »

Wow, nice one :shock:

You inspired me ... gonna make a barebones dpup myself now :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

stu90

#3 Post by stu90 »

Thanks Iguleder 8)

I like barebones, it is a more modular approach to puppy - start with a base then just add / use / update what you like.

cowboy

d-lite

#4 Post by cowboy »

Stu90,

Wow. Dpup development is truly getting interesting.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

Going to give it a shot but its things like CUPS and printer drivers that worry me. Sometimes it is easier to start with a fat pup and take stuff out rather than a thin one and add stuff :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

No go. Just black-screens when X should start. I have an Intel card in my lappy.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#7 Post by jim3630 »

stu, tried frugal manual install to ext4 pfix=ram. xorgwizard config my intel on new hp laptop then completed and went to black screen. got back in xorgwizard with same results. ctl+alt+backspace would not get me out.

next attempt choose vesa with same results. sorry couldn't get a desktop.

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

jim3630 wrote:stu, tried frugal manual install to ext4 pfix=ram. xorgwizard config my intel on new hp laptop then completed and went to black screen. got back in xorgwizard with same results. ctl+alt+backspace would not get me out.

X2
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#9 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote:stu, tried frugal manual install to ext4 pfix=ram. xorgwizard config my intel on new hp laptop then completed and went to black screen. got back in xorgwizard with same results. ctl+alt+backspace would not get me out.

X2
x2? not getting it here.

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

jim3630 wrote:
DaveS wrote:

X2
x2? not getting it here.
???????? Just means I have the same issue :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#11 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
DaveS wrote: X2
x2? not getting it here.
???????? Just means I have the same issue :)
ok, sorry bit dense today. it's aka +1

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Went straight through xorgwizard to the correct 1024x768x24 desktop on my old P3 test box with onboard Intel 82810 graphics.Testing live pfix=ram.
Just installed Iceweasel 3.5.16 from the Squeeze repo, working no problem.

James C

#13 Post by James C »

D-Lite live pfix=ram.Sound and display goon on initial boot, had to use SNS to set internet connection.

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (95MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 05 Aug 2011 04:02:32 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.39 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jul 30 15:13:09 GMT-2 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)

Installed Iceweasel, Hardinfo and MTPaint..... no problems yet.

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 254144 240804 13340 0 8948
Swap: 1020092 12064 1008028
Total: 1274236 252868 1021368
Attachments
D-Lite.png
(147.15 KiB) Downloaded 3744 times

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

Ooops late at night here Stu but to not test your version would be a kind of no no so I tell you result within 30 minutes from now hopefully or I log in tomorrow in case it totally fail.

placeholder for result of test on Acer Netbbok 10" screen D250

OOps sorry it fail to get xwin going. Neither xorg not xvesa works. I have Intel chips but the driver seems to not be there for to get the video going. Locks up and only hard reboot works to come out of it.

Sad though. I guess your version is not made for Netboooks.

The other Squeeze works though but fail with 1024 x 768 and only gives x 600 but that is to expect from Dpup version. Have been like that from scratch. I go to bed now.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#15 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. For getting cpu temp info to the conky, I have used script /usr/bin/tempcpu and in conky.conf there is a row which calls it.

I attach my transparent conky pet here just that you can study how to get cpu temp reading. Extract the pet, check that separate script and conky.conf row howto call it.

mikeslr

Thanks Stu90

#16 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Stu90,

I'm downloading D-Lite now. But I'm about to chill for awhile. I'll report back once its frugally installed and I have something useful to say.

Edit: Temporarily back from chilling. Frugal install of D-Lite on the following system:

Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
Resolution: 1600x900x24 pixels
VGA compatible controller: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
From Lupu 5.25
aplay --list-devies reports:
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital
I'll install Hardinfo later and see what D-Lite sees.

The important information is that D-Lite had no difficulty via Xorg providing the best resolution on my system without my having to specify "radeon modeset=0" in the kernel argument. I was able to use "probe" rather than having to "choose" my graphics driver. Thank you Stu90. No difficulty creating SaveFile, and my wireless setting were retained on reboot.

Stu, I would think that it would it be helpful to Barry and devs if a thread or threads were started in which Users and Beginners were to provide detailed information regarding those graphics cards which pose difficulties. Something such as:

ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics. No SaveFile can be created by Slacko 311.37 unless Kernel argument radeon modeset=0 is specified; and
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics. Maximum screen resolution cannot be obtained by Exprimo unless Kernel argument radeon modeset=0 is specified.
Just from reading the treads, my recollection is that those problems have three variables: kernel, xorgwizard version, and specific graphics card. My card posed a problem to Exprimo, but not to your build or Iguleder's. Others having a different Ati Radeon card experienced different results. Perhaps if the devs had a broad enough survey the problem could be identified or a workaround developed.
I'd suggest it myself, but coming from someone who understands what is involved in building a puplet it might be more significant to devs and testers.

Other information: Both Opera 11 and Firefox 5 are running from /mnt/home without difficulty, including flash which downloaded as soon as I started Opera. Similarly, wine-1.3.3-Lucid and the usual XP portables run without a hitch.

More after I've had some sleep and a chance to explore.

mikesLr

stu90

#17 Post by stu90 »

Thanks for testing and feed back guys - results seem to be a bit of a mixed bag :(

I have made a new upload of D-Lite with a different xorg_base - i wish i could say i knew what i was doing but im really just shooting in the wind when it comes to these xorg issues. :oops:

Edit:
Some other stuff i forgot to mention - if you left click on the clock in the tint2 panel it opens mygtkmenu - i made a little text editor (menuedit in the menu) for editing the menu items, the menu it uses is the mygtkmenu.txt one - right mouse click on the clock will open terminal.

Another application i forgot to mention and forgot to make a menu entry for is simpleshot for taking screen shots - you can use it from the terminal with the command: simpleshot

Ymound 0.8 is now included for drive management.

full res:
http://i.imgur.com/IGHUA.png

See top of first post on page 1 for latest version
Download (78mb):
link removed

cheers
Last edited by stu90 on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.

stu90

#18 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:Stu90. For getting cpu temp info to the conky, I have used script /usr/bin/tempcpu and in conky.conf there is a row which calls it.

I attach my transparent conky pet here just that you can study how to get cpu temp reading. Extract the pet, check that separate script and conky.conf row howto call it.
Thanks Pemasu,
missed it it this upload but have it now ready for next upload - interesting thing i noticed about disabling pinboard is that conkys transparency works correctly even after changing wallpapers.

cheers.

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

same black screen :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

stu90

#20 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:same black screen :(
Hi DaveS
Thanks for sticking with it and testing - i have managed to get radeon auto detected with the dpup xorg_base package :P
i haven't changed anything else in there relating to other drivers like i did in the first two builds so hopefully this next build should work.