Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#586 Post by pemasu »

Maybe I should boot Macpup 525 and check how things are in it. Yes, I havent so far even once booted Macpup to see how e17 is in there. I have thought that let things be in it as the developers have wanted. Macpup developers have used already several years in improving enlightenment and MacPup,so .... I feel like stealing them if I even boot Macpup.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#587 Post by DaveS »

Spent a whole week a while back trying to build a working Midori. Came to the conclusion World Peace was a simpler project.................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

edoc

#588 Post by edoc »

Can Jemimah provide the tips from when she built it for Puppeee/Fluppy?

I know she is busy but I imagine she'd like to help out a little here and there.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#589 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. Sure someone can ask her if he/she wishes to ask. But as I have told before, I am not sure it is worth the time and effort. There is already so many efficient web browsers and what comes to small ones, just take a look of Polarpup-004. It has 3 browsers and 2 of them are really lightweight ones, which about works.
I would say, lets Midori mature on its own and maybe there will come again time that someone takes real shot into it, with motivation and skills....

majorfoo

#590 Post by majorfoo »

DaveS wrote:Marco07, I have uploaded the files you need, two sfs files that you put at /mnt/home, and the .pet for the games,

username puppy
password linux

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/games/
downloaded pet and installed it.
will not run from desktop - from command line receive following error

/root
# tkspider
/root/my-applications/bin/tkspider: line 3: exec: wish: not found
/root

how do i resolve this

thanks
majorfoo

Puppyt

#591 Post by Puppyt »

Cheers pemasu,

I've been looking for a dpup base for a "dogsbody" research puplet with essential tools for uni students, and your (+Iguleder's) version I think has about the right bling-for-buck to encourage them away from their Win7 and MacOSX perspectives. Without being too dauntingly different from those environments, I mean:- e17 and JWM(+wbar) I think provide the right balance.
But I can't seem to do anything but run on the spot with your Xorg version :(
You've linked workarounds from your first post and I've tried these, but get unusual results before the system breaks so that only a hard reset will get things working (to a point). I'm using a Lenovo T60 widescreen laptop -ATI Raedon Mobility X1400 graphics card - and basically I can't get the '24 bit' depth for it working either by Xorgwizard (Probe, Choose and Tweak) or editing xorg.conf manually from geany. Well - I can for EITHER e17 or JWM - but not both. WM manager loads the alternative WM to show an arrow cursor on a black screen before breaking completely, and "xwin enlightenment" or "xwin jwm" from commandline when trying to hop between the WMs just drops me back to the prompt. And I don't seem to get any improvement with the Xorg_high pets I've tried - Lucid or Macpuppy - but I'm out of my depth there regarding diagnosis for successful installs. Occasionally I get a weird vertical bar for the cursor - or no visible cursor at all - but on reboot (not restart X) all is fixed for that WM concerned. I'll restart the install from scratch in case of FS corruption, but I'm afraid that you might have to think of a different Xorg version/kernel combo, as far as I understand,
Cheers :)

P.S. the puplet will ideally have: LibreOffice; Zotero Standalone; Mendeley; Docear (SciPlore16+: "FreePlane+PDF management"); JabRef; various research-focused FF add-ons not yet available for SM2.3.1; R, RCmdr, RKward (and KDE libraries), RExcel (with OO/Libre-office add-on); ImageJ or FiJI; plus other vet-science specific tools... (in my dreams...)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Puppyt

#592 Post by Puppyt »

Please belay my last post -
I overwrote puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.sfs with a fresh copy (the suspect original was a 7 am edition, but the new one was a 9am edition??) and now I can flip between WMs at 1280x800, 24-bit depth without problems. Haven't tried Xorg_high options yet - have to create a new save file. However I noticed inode errors while the fresh system was booting, and, given that my XP partition went "ping" recently, seems my hard-drive is unravelling...
Otherwise All Good -
Cheers!

EDIT: Nope - broke again on reboot - WMSwitcher leaving me dazed and confused, and looking for a new hard drive :cry:
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

DaveS

#593 Post by DaveS »

majorfoo wrote:
DaveS wrote:Marco07, I have uploaded the files you need, two sfs files that you put at /mnt/home, and the .pet for the games,

username puppy
password linux

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/games/
downloaded pet and installed it.
will not run from desktop - from command line receive following error

/root
# tkspider
/root/my-applications/bin/tkspider: line 3: exec: wish: not found
/root

how do i resolve this

thanks
majorfoo
OK. Uninstall those, then go here and download tcl_tk_plus.sfs
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/tk_tcl/

That should fix it as is more compatible. Also simpler. Includes games as before.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#594 Post by pemasu »

Majorfoo. Individual Xorg - hdd - filesystem inconsistencies are difficult to bughunt virtually. Ati graphics should have usual support. Of course you get better support with proprietary ATI Catalyst package. Best thing is to compile it yourself. I have tried to compile it without installing it straight, but I think that package misses some stuff.
Usually best thing to test new puplet, is do fresh frugall install, pfix=ram live install and no upgrades. In this experimental stage so many things can change, even kernel and upgrade usually does not work then.
After everything is ok, more experimenting is ok.

James C

#595 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: About Midori. As I have posted before, it is more than I can do. I have posted the link to the jemimah`s thread how to compile Midori. If somebody compiles it with latest webkit, I promise to test it and consider including it to the some Exprimo version. But....I dont think it is worth the used time.
FWIW, I just haven't really been impressed by Midori......... I couldn't even use it in Fluppy.Between Firefox,SeaMonkey and the small fast browsers in Polarpup there should be plenty to choose from.Oh, and Arora too.

pemasu

#596 Post by pemasu »

I will revert back to the Retrovol. It just is more familiar to me and it gives volume slider with left click. Enough reasons for me.

majorfoo

#597 Post by majorfoo »

pemasu wrote:Majorfoo. Individual Xorg - hdd - filesystem inconsistencies are difficult to bughunt virtually. Ati graphics should have usual support. Of course you get better support with proprietary ATI Catalyst package. Best thing is to compile it yourself. I have tried to compile it without installing it straight, but I think that package misses some stuff.
Usually best thing to test new puplet, is do fresh frugall install, pfix=ram live install and no upgrades. In this experimental stage so many things can change, even kernel and upgrade usually does not work then.
After everything is ok, more experimenting is ok.
pemasu
Is this response in regards to post I made in regarding S Experiment ISO
on another thread?

majorfoo

majorfoo

#598 Post by majorfoo »

pemasu wrote:I will revert back to the Retrovol. It just is more familiar to me and it gives volume slider with left click. Enough reasons for me.
pemasu
is this regarding posts that billtoo and I made regarding audacious on the Next Puppy 5.0.0 thread?

If so, audacious has slider at top right of screen that works with click of mouse.

majorfoo

pemasu

#599 Post by pemasu »

Majorfoo. Nope. I post here responses only to the feedback posted in this thread. If I respond to the posts of another threads, I will explain it or post quote regarding that other thread post.
I dont mean volume sliders inside applications. I mean system volume tray_applets and their behavior.

pemasu

#600 Post by pemasu »

Radky has created new magnificent PupControl and made total overhaul to the SysInfobox2 which is now called Pup-SysInfo. It is really great.
I also changed keyboard layouts and locales. I have to admit that Shinobars Firstrun just is great for it. Now it is straight pc-name-hostname-etc bugfree, fully functional-with 01mickos unique pc name creator, which is in woof now.
Conclusion, I will include Firstrun aka Personalize settings to the next Exprimo, but without firstrun script. Also Shinobars pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh are not woof compliant. I dont start to mess with them. I just removed them. The scripts are functional still.
So...brand new PupControl 1.7 and Firstrun 1.8.4 are included.

Guys...which do you prefer, small size of the iso or possibly better performance. I can build the distro with gz or xz compression. The difference is about 12 % bigger with gz but probably even noticeable improvement in performance.

DaveS

#601 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Radky has created new magnificent PupControl and made total overhaul to the SysInfobox2 which is now called Pup-SysInfo. It is really great.
I also changed keyboard layouts and locales. I have to admit that Shinobars Firstrun just is great for it. Now it is straight pc-name-hostname-etc bugfree, fully functional-with 01mickos unique pc name creator, which is in woof now.
Conclusion, I will include Firstrun aka Personalize settings to the next Exprimo, but without firstrun script. Also Shinobars pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh are not woof compliant. I dont start to mess with them. I just removed them. The scripts are functional still.
So...brand new PupControl 1.7 and Firstrun 1.8.4 are included.

Guys...which do you prefer, small size of the iso or possibly better performance. I can build the distro with gz or xz compression. The difference is about 12 % bigger with gz but probably even noticeable improvement in performance.
No preference. Maybe smaller is better for USB installs.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#602 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:
+1 smaller

pemasu

#603 Post by pemasu »

Second test build now. I fixed the forgotten items. Xz compression now in second test build

majorfoo

#604 Post by majorfoo »

DaveS wrote:
majorfoo wrote:

OK. Uninstall those, then go here and download tcl_tk_plus.sfs
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/tk_tcl/

That should fix it as is more compatible. Also simpler. Includes games as before.
The sfs files did the trick. Thanks for providing.

majorfoo

majorfoo

#605 Post by majorfoo »

pemasu wrote:Majorfoo. Nope. I post here responses only to the feedback posted in this thread. If I respond to the posts of another threads, I will explain it or post quote regarding that other thread post.
I dont mean volume sliders inside applications. I mean system volume tray_applets and their behavior.
Sorry, my bad.

majorfoo