Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Oct 2019, 16:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 30 of 148 [2213 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 146, 147, 148 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 15:08    Post subject:  

Hey. Please everyone. Take it easy now. I know my limits.
I just replied to Gcmartin pm about thoughts of community Dpup. The idea is great and I am in. But my shoulders are not enough for it. We need able people more. I think that Iguleder has shown us the way and the light. I like to contribute my puplets based on Iguleders great work. I have always appreciated what Iguleder do. And we have had fun when creating puplets.

My post to Gcmartin:

Quote:
Gcmartin. Yes, I have read Iguleders post and also his post to Barrys blog about Dpup "official" future.

I like to work with Iguleder. I have done that at previous squeeze phase and also at insidious phase.

We were a lot at puppylinux irc and chatted real time. Many insidious building steps were decided at irc.

Nowadays I dont much use my time at irc. And I and Iguleder have mostly communicated through Murga forum.

About my contributing. I will go on with Dpup and publish my builds. To be an community contributor. I am afraid my time and capabilities are not enough for that big task.

Lets the dust settle. It was Iguleder that Barry suggested. My abilities are not so redundant than Iguleders. I am not coder.

Iguleder has built linux distros several time from scratch and he knows the linux and Puppy structure inside out....

I am still learning. It could be best for community that I create what I can.......

Just my quick brainstorming. As you can see, I am not ambitious man. Just trying to enjoy from what I can, no more...
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 16:50    Post subject:  

From the 1.08 till now I followed puppy and the forum.
I don't feel that a community product will have success.
Attempts have been made with a successful result, but there s no talk about it now.

I prefer the work you do, pemasu as well as the one of iguleder, playdayz, 01micko, tazoc, barry's, dejans to name the ones I have been trying.

And there are others I didn't try.

I am happy with what is going on this way.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 17:04    Post subject:  

Back to business. I had hard 2 days with woof. First with new pngoverlay because needed package didnt process. Next file pet wasnt processed. Both problems recognized. Next gtkdialog_DOC (not sure if it is useful other than coders) didnt process. Problem fixed by recreating and making a pet of it and adding that specs to packages-puppy-common-official database. To be sure I redownload the packages to the woof. There was something really wrong with my last download.

I have made my fixes and improvements to 5.X.3. I just need to build it with fresh packages. E17 gets face lifting. It unfortunately crashes erratically. Lets hope that Iguleder still has interest for e17, because I have started to like it. Themes are big though. Anyway, I am sure with new releases, it will still get better, if somebody able enough compiles it and creates the core e17. Iguleder, dont leave e17 totally even though you struggle with WindowMaker.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 17:07    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
I miss the epdfviewer.

Zathura is really picky on the file name.

Iguleder has compiled version 3 of Zathura.

I checked it and it has a problem with file

names, but version 4 has fixed this (from my quick testing.)

Try out zathura_gui which has zathura 4 included ,

as well as a gui. It should work.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=909140815&t=70032

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 17:11    Post subject:  

I am with you, pemasu, for the E17.
I wish there was a pet to implement it on other puppy's to replace JWM or whatever. I saw some work of Iguleder, bt I don't understand what to do with it.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
seaside

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 18:08    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Backi et al. I have now read and the optional save at shutdown is now more clear for me. It is intended when you boot in PUPMODE=13 aka pmedia=usbflash so that tmpfs is in top layer. It is not intended in normal frugal install in hdd aka PUPMODE=12.

Next thing, the optional save or not at shutdown should be done through /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script as scottman has showed. It means to modify snapmergepuppy row to have that Xdialog save or not.

Also if you shutdown without saving straight, there will be left /etc/.XLOADED file which means for puppy that you have done unclean shutdown and it performs fsck everytime, not bad thing, but every time, well....
And also you get info that you have shutdown uncleanly last time and you have to shut that box before it boots. So...you would need to remove .XLOADED and save that before you create the shutdown without saving....if you want to boot straight with out that stopping unclean shutdown message.
That rm /etc/.XLOADED could be in /etc/rc.d/rc.local file so that it will executed straight at bootup as last thing.

Anyway....that shutdown without saving is not the puppy way right now, it is more user preference and so it means hacking to the woof scripts to include it. I can include it as optional script, no more....

For those interested in having more control over saving to the pupsave file in frugal installations without editing shutdown scripts, you might be interested in "Save-pup-lock". It places a save icon on the desktop with several choices.

If you boot from a harddrive , you can force "PUPMODE=13" by using the boot code "pmedia=ideflash" and it will act as if it was booted from a thumbdrive and allow more flexibility in saving.

See here for more-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67341

Cheers,
s
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 18:33    Post subject:  

Thank you of the feedback.
Don570. Thank you of the information. I will look your zathura pet. What version was in your 5.2.4 squeeze right click pet. It is included in the next version already.
Seaside. Good to know that possibility. Another checking needed nice addition. Makes easier to test PUPMODE=13 with hdd frugal installation.

Note about e17. Some of the icons are not suitable for e17 at black background. Sysinfobox, Lxtask, rxvt icons are one of those. I am not sure if I will fix all of them, but lets see...
I have already changed couple of icons to be better with e17.
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 19:13    Post subject: to save, or not to save  

I use Shino's "pupsave- config 1.9.9", though in -some- Lupu's it saves, while it says it does not.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60678
James C

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 19:51    Post subject:  

Here's the link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60678
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 02:02    Post subject:  

New woof out today. Thats fourth woof release after my last Dpup build. Lol. I have to dismiss it so that I can prepare the previous one for building. I just redownloaded the packages last night.
The latest woof is mostly for Spup Official building. 01micko has uploaded the needed packages to build Spup by yourself.

Barry K acknowlegded my problem with gtkdialog3 package. So my problem with it is true. Anyway, it is not important for normal usage and I have now fix around to get those gtkdialog examples to the devx sfs.
backi

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 13:07    Post subject:
Subject description: Shutdown without save

Hi folks!

Thanks james c and nancy reagen for your advice.
I tested this pupsave-config 1.9.9

As far as i can see:
For people wish to save or not to save at shutdown.
One thing to say: normal Poweroff Button does not work any longer as usual (in my case).

To shutdown you must first press the normal POWEROFF BUTTON (will not work as usual.....press .cancel..... then press CTRL ALT BACKSPACE.

if you installed and started the pet above

2 options for :

1.) saveintervals -0 never ( use the normal POWEROFF BUTTON (will not work as usual ...press cancel.... then press CTRL ALT BACKSPACE to shutdown) ...> no save at shutdown.
If you want to save changes during session use the save2flash button.

2Smile saveinterval +0 ASK AT SHUTDOWN ( use the normal POWEROFF BUTTON ...(will not work as usual....press cancel........ then press CTRL ALT BACKSPACE to shutdown) > you will be asked to save or not to save .

Before you press the poweroff button the CTRL ALT BACKSPACE does business as usual.
After you have pressed the Poweroff button pressing CTRL ALT BACKSPACE induces shutdown either in the 1. or 2. way above.

I am now using this method instead the one used mentioned in my posts
before.
Quite comfortable
And this filecheck thing at startup is finaly gone. Seems to work.
If i encounter any trouble i will post it.

Maybe there is a more elegant method .
Please let me know.
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:26    Post subject:

backi wrote:
Hi folks!

Thanks james c and nancy reagen for your advice.
I tested this pupsave-config 1.9.9

As far as i can see:
For people wish to save or not to save at shutdown. ... is

Hi Backi,

As I said: does not work in all Lupus anymore !

For, even it echoes at shutdown "session not saved", it appears that it was saved !

Tried Sc0ttman's instructions however ...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51466
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:49    Post subject:  

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3 has been released. It uses 15.8.2011 woof and has fixes based on that release. Also I have updated to rerwins pupscan which shoud give better detailed info of hw. Seamonkey 2.3 full included. Evince for pdfs. Transmission updated to 2.31. I just didnt understood how to use that older version. Emelfm2 filemanager added. One tool more for e17. E17 has got some face lifting from the previous. One additional theme for it also. PupControl updated to 1.6.5.
There are probably some right clicks as double. My own and Don570 latest squeeze version overlaps a little, but I thought that I clean it up when I see doubles. You can report of them also. Idrivepanel for e17 drive icons to desktop added, though it has some quirks. Lets see how it works. Desksetup and Backup your desktop for jwm for possible sfs apps screwing them.
/root/my-applications/bin (which is in path) has nosaveshutdown for PUPMODE=13 usage. Dont use it if you dont know what you are doing.

2.6.39.3 kernel. Maybe I will start to use Iguleders 2.6.39-4. I have thought that I could compile it for PAE version.

Iso size 116 Mb. Xorg-high is not in build but available in exprimo repo as pet and sfs.

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3 download: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5X/DpupExprimo5X3/

Last edited by pemasu on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
backi

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:08    Post subject:

Hello Nancy Reagen!

Your are right in case of the saveinterval -0 never otion ,says "dont save", but does save.

But if im now using only the " saveinterval +0 (ask at shutdown) option
At shut down asks "save?" or "no save".
"no Save?" seems to work. And "save?" does too.

Seems to work

But looking further for it .
Thanks
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 17:00    Post subject:  

flite-gui-1.4.2-text-to-mp3.sfs added to the exprimo repo. I made sfs of Geoffreys great work and used stu90`s pet as template.
You can record text file to mp3 with it. For example....make a single text file of all Murga forum posts and listen it while driving through USA or Australia.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66907
Page 30 of 148 [2213 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 146, 147, 148 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: