Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DaveS

#31 Post by DaveS »

The problem is that the required module, broadcom picma wireless, does not load during boot. I load it manually via the network wizard and save, but it is not persistent. Had this problem in 4.3, but forget the fix now, it was so long ago.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#32 Post by jim3630 »

broadcom wl.ko driver here. too many times sns script times out as shows in the report. Frisbee never has timed out for me.

installed puppizard-007, puppizard_e17, puppizard_scripts pets. then choose from the list to download and install libreoffice 3.4.1linux_x86 rpm from stable release. 146M!

James C

#33 Post by James C »

Back from my fresh frugal install.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (149MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 31 Jul 2011 03:47:58 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.39 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 19:38:53 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)

Already installed Hardinfo and Htop from the Debian repo....no real problems,just a little tweak to the desktop file on Htop.And no internet "blinky" in the taskbar. :lol:

Looking pretty good.

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. It can be the problem of my separate z...sfs which has those needed modules and firmwares. Some drivers work better when the kernel modules and firmwares are inside the main sfs.
I suspected that there might come problems with separate kernel module sfs, but that separation also speeds things and you dont load to the ram all modules and it saves ram also.

So....maybe you will need build with kernel modules and firmwares inside the main sfs.

James C

#35 Post by James C »

[quote="pemasu"]James C. I know that learning curve. I am at the first steps in e17. I think that Iguleder will post new versions with e17 so dont be afraid.

pemasu

#36 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Libre Office rpm ?
Where did you find that one. It isnt in puppy-drake repo, in fact that repo is quite empty and it is for Drake Puppy. I have left it with all the other repos.
But it is not meant to be used.

Oh, it is probably something with Puppizard.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#37 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. It sounds like you are installing libre office from puppy-drake repo. I am not sure how good idea it is to use puppy-drake rpm for libre office.
But I am sure nobody else has tried it before !!!!

I left puppy-drake repo but I didnt mean it to show in the PPM. I just wanted to check what there is, I didnt mean to use it.

But experiments are allowed.

I didnt check the PPM repo files when I did the build. Well...next time.
One of the first things I did after the install was to hide the Drake repo. I personally am using the Squeeze main, Puppy Dpup and Puppy Common repos.
Experimenting is fun though. :)

pemasu

#38 Post by pemasu »

Yep. I need to check the dpup unfree repo if there is something which could be useful and add it to the PPM repo selection. At least there are firmwares for wireless cards.

jim3630

#39 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Libre Office rpm ?
Where did you find that one. It isnt in puppy-drake repo, in fact that repo is quite empty and it is for Drake Puppy. I have left it with all the other repos.
But it is not meant to be used.

Oh, it is probably something with Puppizard.
Yes Puppizard runs out to a debian repo. installed to menu, run get error
"/root/%U does not exist."

how do I correct this?

jim3630

#40 Post by jim3630 »

James C wrote:
pemasu wrote:Jim3630. It sounds like you are installing libre office from puppy-drake repo. I am not sure how good idea it is to use puppy-drake rpm for libre office.
But I am sure nobody else has tried it before !!!!

I left puppy-drake repo but I didnt mean it to show in the PPM. I just wanted to check what there is, I didnt mean to use it.

But experiments are allowed.

I didnt check the PPM repo files when I did the build. Well...next time.
One of the first things I did after the install was to hide the Drake repo. I personally am using the Squeeze main, Puppy Dpup and Puppy Common repos.
Experimenting is fun though. :)
Puppizard chooses where to go it does not ask you. it was preinstalled in alpha 1 and I used it to install some small program that did work.

pemasu

#41 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I am not familiar yet with that Puppizard. But your error sounds like there is something wrong in that application desktop file. Go to /usr/share/applications, right click that desktop file which is asscociated to the app you try to launch. Open as text. Check the exec row. If there is %U at the end of the execution command, remove them. Save.
In console, run fixmenus and then restart jwm. Restart X is not needed.

James C

#42 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a quick manual frugal install on the old P3 test box. Once again,everything working on initial boot.

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 5.0.0

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (123MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
Date/Time : Sun 31 Jul 2011 05:06:42 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH
Attachments
squeeze 500.png
(148.67 KiB) Downloaded 1514 times

jim3630

#43 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I am not familiar yet with that Puppizard. But your error sounds like there is something wrong in that application desktop file. Go to /usr/share/applications, right click that desktop file which is asscociated to the app you try to launch. Open as text. Check the exec row. If there is %U at the end of the execution command, remove them. Save.
In console, run fixmenus and then restart jwm. Restart X is not needed.
pemasu, /usr/share/applications/libreoffice multi desktops for 10 different ones but are symlinks>target>/opt/libreoffice3.4/xdg which has the desktop> right click open as text >geany which doesn't give the usual option as you describe. need to open it with something else.

jim3630

#44 Post by jim3630 »

tried changing permissions, fixmenus, restart jwm, no go. so went to those files opennings as text with geany clicked on execute which brought to the line of code where %U is and deleted it on all files, fixmenus, restart jwm and it worked!! so far.

------
puppizard downloaded the file libreoffice-3.4.1-linux_86-install-rpm-en-us-tar-gz then unwrapped it and proceeded to install watching the console it stalled, stopped dead for some minutes. thought was a terminal hang so closed the app, and redownloaded only to watch it stop again at the same place for several minutes. it then created a file "libreoffice-3.4.1-1i586.pxz slowly maybe close to 5min. and finished installing, so be patient.
Attachments
morejoy.png
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times
joy.png
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 780 times
Last edited by jim3630 on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#45 Post by Béèm »

Installed FRUGALLY with the usual Lin'N'Win method.
I didn't get a desktop.
Even running xorgwizard didn't get me there, always returned to the X prompt.
Did run xorgwizard again and didn't probe but took the vesa driver.
Now I get the desktop. I will have to investigate further to get the radeon driver loaded.

Internet with Frisbee, no problem. I didn't expect one as the 'cold' puppy's running Frisbee never gave a problem.

I noticed, to my pleasure, that when a ROX window is covered by the system tray and I use the slider to browse the window, I don't have corruption anymore. Due to vesa maybe?

I was disappointed that sfs load on the fly isn't included. Did install it.

So I could activate my application environment and the applications are running ok.

What I miss also is PupControl, so I can easily set things like a 24 hour clock.

So far, so good.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#46 Post by Béèm »

I am more and more confused about dpup.
There is Barry's 4.99.2
There is Iguleder's 4.99.1, lower in version n° but maybe higher in functionality. I didn't check.
Iguleder was speaking about he wants to see a 5.0.0
Is this squeeze the one Iguleder is talking about?

If yes, why not have them in the same forum section?
Time savers:

Béèm

#47 Post by Béèm »

Bad things are happening.
I looked into the graphics driver again.
Went to the X prompt and did run xorg wizard.
This time I took choose and loaded the radeon driver having a radeon 7500 graphics card. I got the desktop.
BUT:
My keyboard is in qwerty and in spite I did run the keyboard wizard to choose the Belgian keyboard, it stayed in qwerty.
Not really exiting.

So back to the X prompt to choose the vesa driver.

I suppose I have benefit to run the radeon driver, but how to combine it with the Belgian keyboard?
The xorg.conf doesn't even contain a display/keyboard section, so I can't even force the keyboard this way.
Time savers:

jim3630

#48 Post by jim3630 »

spent some time today working in DebianEdu/Skolelinux which most know is just the debian education desktop ontop of knoppix fully updated to current squeeze stable version.

may not be apples to apples but this Dpup is light speed ahead. Pemasu it's flying.

vanchutr

#49 Post by vanchutr »

Installed FRUGALLY with GRUB4DOS 1.7.
Boot up . I can choose Xvesa (easy)
Connect to Internet with USB-3G - success
Webbrowser Seamonkey 2.2 - runs fast
Thank you, Pemasu
(After me) - Best way is choosen JWM. (I don't like other WM! for many reason)
Loaded successful wine-1.3.25 with sfs_loader.

jim3630

#50 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu, Iguleder's puppizard dependancies are xz and Yad which you have. AdvanceCOMP and OptiPNG are recommended so you might consider adding them if you use it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69248

Puppizard 07 in the repo is the lattest pet could find. Iguleder's work is inspiring.

--------

did new pfix=ram same install but added AdvanceComp, OptiPNG, puppizard 07, puppizard e17, puppizard scripts pets then Libroffice as before and no change. it went to ftp.osuosl.org for libroffice, same several minute stop creating the new file which is about 75M.

got it to work same method. /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-- has about 10 different Libroffice related desktop symlinks>show target>/opt/libreoffice3.4/xdg which has the desktops files> right click open as text >geany>clicked on execute entry on sidebar> line of code where %U is just delete it on all files, save, fixmenus, restart jwm. It works.
Last edited by jim3630 on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.