Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#1051 Post by James C »

edoc wrote:Online streaming problem with Seamonkey ...

EDIT

http://www.wsbradio.com/

When you click on Listen Live the commercial plays fine but then the program does not.

Any idea why, please?
Frugal install of Exprimo 5.X.7.........same result as you with SeaMonkey 2.4.1 but no problems with Firefox 7.0.1.Listening to regular programming right now.
Same flash and same plugins so SeaMonkey should work too but......it obviously doesn't.I've got SeaMonkey 2.4.1 on a Windows install...I'll boot into that a bit later and see what happens.

EDIT:
For what it's worth, SeaMonkey 2.4.1 in Windows is a no go as well.
Last edited by James C on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

MoebusNet

#1052 Post by MoebusNet »

edoc wrote:Sorry, I fat-fingered it ...

http://www.wsbradio.com/
Listen Live is playing for me.

I'm a puppy newbie, all I can think of is maybe you need the latest version of Flash? (Menu>Internet>GetFlash Install Flashplayer). You can use Puppy Google Search to make sure I'm not totally off-base. The other thing is to make sure you're using the latest version of Seamonkey (Help>Check For Updates). I'm using 2.4.1 version.

Hope this gives you some directions to try... best of luck.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

James C

#1053 Post by James C »

Back in Exprimo....restarted SeaMonkey with all addons disabled and no problems. Regular streaming is playing fine here too now.
Attachments
addons disabled.png
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

pemasu

#1054 Post by pemasu »

I still have couple of usability things to sort out. Some missing icons to include, couple of obsolete to remove. Flash downloaders need to be updated to 11.X version. Also mplayer usage instead of flash as browser plugin interests me. I am gonna test one script/plugin. Usage would be using Firefox-gecko-mediaplayer-mplayer compo. Yep...next version will have Firefox 7.0.1.

Maybe...I will have today evening an uploadable 5.X.8 ready.

edoc

#1055 Post by edoc »

Thanks for checking it out.

It may have been a site problem because I just went back in - having changed nothing (at least not intentionally so) - and it is working fine.

I say that because I am allowing Seamonkey to auto-update -- something I usually do not allow as they tend to break things from time to time -- and so maybe an unseen SM update fixed the problem.

In any case all is well ... for now!

Thanks again!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#1056 Post by pemasu »

Dpup 5.X.8 has been uploaded. It uses 5.10.2011 woof. It has many changes and updates which I have tested and got feedback in 5.X.8 SMP thread.
JWM-505 and E17 window managers.

I test in this version Iguleders 2.6.39.4 kernel. I want to know if there is difference in gtk application responses. Radky has timed them with his atomic clock and I should get feedback.

Browser is now Firefox 7.0.1. It should have resolved RAM usage issues and I want to use it for awhile. Flash updater now uses 11.X base. there is still older script in my-applications/bin folder for those who would like to use older 10.X version. Ffmpeg has now support for mp4 conversion and optional support for webM-VP8 codec. Radkys magnificent PupApplications has been updated. Puppy Psip Phone for free internet calls has been included. There is separate thread in Cutting Edge section about it. Wallpapers has been updated. Multimedia section has gotten some new friends. Pmusic-2.18 with equalizer and Nad3 theme. Test the Wings window preset with Nad3 and you understand how Pmusic has evolved.
Graphics section has Mashup for photo printing. Vattery uses now vattery-acpitool only. older script is in my-applications/bin folder for those who want vattery-ibam battery status info.
Guvcview-1.5.0 has been added. I need it for usb microscope, lol.
For Murga-linux mass readers, there is Threadget but dont tell that to Flash. Lol.
Couple of stu90`s small nice gui apps has been added.

Iso size 143 Mb. Yeah I know. Blames can be directed to the Spam Reports thread straight. Lol. And there is Iguleders small size approach anyway.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... xprimo5X8/

Kernel source sfs: http://www.iguleder.info/puppy/kernel/l ... 6.39-4.sfs
Attachments
DpupExprimo5.X.8.jpg
(109.78 KiB) Downloaded 862 times

edoc

#1057 Post by edoc »

I was just going to ask about the next stage. Perfect timing.
Browser is now Firefox 7.0.1
Since it's not the integrated Internet suite that Seamoney was, are users to load Thunderbird and then manually link FF & TB for inter-operation? Or are features like URLs in an E-mail automatically opening a Firefox browser window, and sending a URL in Firefox to an E-mail address auto-opens a Thunderbird E-mail already activated?

Is everything in the 5X7 "repository" good with 5X8?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#1058 Post by pemasu »

I have used separated Thunderbird in /mnt/home all the time. I have had policy that everyone uses the mail app which they prefer. Seamonkey with full suite has been exception in my policy. I know that Seamonkey with Mail has been preferred choice for many. But...I wanted to make the choice for Firefox now. Usually Firefox has been my choice for Browser. I dont want to include any separated mail app, because I still think that people want to use the mail app they are accustomed. I use Thunderbid solely. One mail app for all just dont work.

It was my choice for this build. I hope there wont be bloody browser - Mail wars. Please, spare me from them. I have posted about my choices several times during last year with my builds. But I can stand for any kind protests if you want express them. Lol. I promise not be easily provocated.

So... I will make manual change to my Thunderbird to open in Firefox. It takes approximately one minute to perform that task. Or less.....

Everything in Exprimo repo is usable for 5.X.8. If you find something that needs some libs or...please post about it and I will fix the pet or sfs. I will now update some stuff in that Exprimo repo. I have neglected it lately and it needs polishing.

Tman

#1059 Post by Tman »

Just downloaded version 5.X.8 and tried it out for about 10 minutes or so.
You know, I don't think there is really a need for me to make any new puplets for the time being, cause this one has practically everything I need. I only have to add a handfull of apps:

- Gimp, Edit-SFS, Startmount and Nvidia-full driver

The rest would just involve me customising the aesthetics.

Everything works for me out of the box; sound, videos..etc. Dvd's work perfectly in Gnome-Mplayer; subtitles work as well so there is no longer a need for me to use VLC. Great job.
This is now officially my favorite version of Puppy, and I am going to use this as my default Puppy over my own Slickpup..I will just be adding Slickpup looks to Xprimo.

Great puplet. Thanks for your hard work, and continuous improvement. :)

edoc

#1060 Post by edoc »

I didn't mean to start anything - just wasn't sure what the added step will be for the average user to get two discrete Internet apps to play nicely together.

FF and TB are fine.

It's been a long time since I used anything but the easy-to-use Seamonkey Suite or the small Midori/Claws combo and the tiny Dillo.

If one so desired can FF be uninstalled and replaced with SM?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#1061 Post by pemasu »

Tman. Thank you of your feedback and your compliments. I hope we will see your aesthetics results at some time. I know what you can do when you let your spirit free.

Edoc. I am not sure if there is any use to try remove something which is included. of course you can use tools like Woofy and really remove with remastering. There is also Remove builtin packages in Menu which can be used with Remastering.
Firefox is easy to remove even manually during remaster. I have done things like that with Edit-SFS app. But is there really need for that. Just add Seamonkey and use its Mail and use whichever for browsing. I think that is much easier and more reasonable solution. Puppy`s nature with readonly sfs is really not so adapted for removing. Of course if you want to learn how to really remove apps with all the stuff which come with it, it is useful step when you want to learn things beneath the hood. But that is of course another story. It is called learning and educating yourself how Puppy works.

I dont use remastering tools at all. I use woof for adding and removing stuff. Edit-SFS for updating sfs apps is really handy though. I use it a lot.

I can upload my Seamonkey pet to the Exprimo repo....if that helps.

pemasu

#1062 Post by pemasu »

For those who would like to use Seamonkey full suite, I packaged latest 2.4.1 full suite version.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... -2.4.1.pet

DaveS

#1063 Post by DaveS »

Blo*dy brilliant Pemasu thanks. No problems except vertical edge scrolling not working on touchpad. Otherwise fast and elegant. Gnumeric *13 is a bit old now, but later versions are bigger of course.
EDIT scrolling fixed by configuring edges in GUI.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

Iguleder

#1064 Post by Iguleder »

I'm building the latest stable Abiword and Gnumeric under Next at the moment, they're not THAT big and should work just fine under pemasu's puplets too.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

DaveS

#1065 Post by DaveS »

I have an sfs for Chromium 16.0.881.0 running very solidly.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#1066 Post by pemasu »

Great Iguleder. I noticed your previous uploads in Next thread. But the Abiword pet was not included due to size. Could you upload your Abiword-Goffice-Gnumeric stuff to your repo or...at least those which you cant upload to the Next thread. Or upload your magnificent build scripts.
But the pets would be just fine.I will upload them as combined or separated pets and combined sfs to the Exprimo repo if it is all right with you.

jim3630

#1067 Post by jim3630 »

installed 5x8, pemasu did you notice the iso has the same name as the smp 5x8? of course, it is not the same the size is about 1mb different.

first noticed lack of quickpet and htop which is just the first two things happen to do with new pups. idrive panel once clicked on can't get it turned off. but when idrive was on it did not reliable open and close partition drives.

will continue testing out next few days. thanks

-------
noticed the nosave power off script in /my-applications/bin/ did shut down computer but changes I had made such as my location in the weather app and browser changes were saved. thought nosave did not save anything?

--------
snap2 gave error msg. Program rsync missing and needed to run but did open. have not used before is this file really needed?

--------
installed x_High and mesa

# glxgears
6298 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1259.492 FPS
6314 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1262.757 FPS
6310 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1261.956 FPS
6333 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1266.510 FPS
6310 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1261.883 FPS
Attachments
sys-info-111011.gz
(10.6 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Last edited by jim3630 on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 23:44, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#1068 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 5.X.8 on my main Athlon XP linux box.No problems except that Adobe Flash wouldn't download from "Getflash Install Flashplayer". That one took me about ten seconds to fix. :lol:
As expected, everything else working ootb.

James C

#1069 Post by James C »

SeaMonkey 2.4.1 pet installed and working fine. Impressive resource usage too.
Attachments
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.8 Htop.png
(57.17 KiB) Downloaded 732 times

shinobar

kernel naming

#1070 Post by shinobar »

On Dpup Exprimo 5.X.8:

Code: Select all

# uname -r
This name is not proper because the kernel is customized from the general 2.6.39.

On Dpup Exprimo 5.X.8 SMP:

Code: Select all

# uname -r
This is better, but a problem is that Barry uses same name '2.6.39.4' for Racy-5.1.101 and Slacko also has same name.
Three different kernels in same name...
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]