Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 02:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Squeeze Reborn 4.9.9.1 Alpha 2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 16 [236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 15:30    Post subject:  

To use Flash, you'll need a couple of libraries from either Firefox or Seamonkey.

Do this:
Code:
ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so | grep found

You can get those libraries from any PET or the official binary packages.

ICQ Number 
jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 15:54    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
I think you'll need a later kernel for this one. Not a problem, it's very easy to rebuild Squeeze with a new kernel since it uses a vanilla Woof.

Regarding the multimedia front, I'm trying to build a static mplayer2 at the moment, with ffmpeg compiled into it. Should be much smaller than a normal ffmpeg/mplayer combo. Smile

EDIT: E17 is available here, but there's another small tweak required to get it working properly. I forgot to disable the Rox pinboard for E17 in /root/.xinitrc.

do you mean your changing kernels to one that will include the broadcom wl.ko driver?

on reboot lost wifi setting needing to reconfigure wlan0 with sns.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 16:16    Post subject:  

Yep. The 2.6.39.3 kernel Barry built could solve your problem.

And SNS is Barry's responsibility. As I said - if we track down the bug, the fix gets merged into Woof. I'm against puplet-specific fixes Smile

EDIT: almost got mplayer2 from git to compile, VESA output was broken and now Fribidi seems to be problematic. Last attempt before I'm off to take some good sleep Smile

ICQ Number 
edoc

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 16:41    Post subject:  

Sounds promising ...

Have you evaluated the IceCat, Epiphany, or Arora Web browsers for this project?

Gnuzilla is the GNU version of the Mozilla suite, and GNU *IceCat* is the GNU version of the Firefox browser. Its main advantage is an ethical one: it is entirely free software. While the principal source code from the Mozilla project is free software, the distribution contains various problematic files, the EULA they require for use of their binaries is troublesome, and they distribute and recommend non-free software as plug-ins. In addition, GNU IceCat includes some privacy protection features ...

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

Epiphany is the web browser for the GNOME desktop. Its goal is to be simple and easy to use. Epiphany ties together many GNOME components in order to let you focus on the Web content, instead of the browser application

http://projects.gnome.org/epiphany/

Arora is a lightweight cross-platform web browser. It's free (as in free speech and free beer). Arora runs on Linux, embedded Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, Haiku, and any other platforms supported by the Qt toolkit.

Arora uses the QtWebKit port of the fully standards-compliant WebKit layout engine. It features fast rendering, powerful JavaScript engine and supports Netscape plugins.

http://code.google.com/p/arora/

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

Arora depends on Qt, Epiphany depends on GNOME stuff and IceCat releases come some time after the official Mozilla ones, that's both a small security risk and a big annoyance since they started the version race Laughing

Anyway, Opera is much smaller and faster. But still, I'd like to do a Firefox/Seamonkey build just to see what you guys think.

By the way: meet our new friends, e17-svn29072011.pet, mplayer2-git29072011 and gnome_mplayer-1.0.4.pet Very Happy

ICQ Number 
jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Yep. The 2.6.39.3 kernel Barry built could solve your problem.

And SNS is Barry's responsibility. As I said - if we track down the bug, the fix gets merged into Woof. I'm against puplet-specific fixes Smile

not quite getting it. the problem is not mine. I am one user who is not building a puppy or puplet. I'm testing it for you and subsequently for the use of a greater community. keeping in mind linux was a gift so everyone everywhere could have a quality os with quality programs.

what you are trying to build lacks support for a broadcom wl.ko driver which many people have as it is what comes with new hp laptops around here.

if you do not wish to provide the pet for your build then just say so. if this is some kind of do it yourself guide for folks to buid a puppy themselves as you imply?? then you need to be clear about it. Smile
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 16:59    Post subject:  

Hey, calm down.

You got me totally wrong. Realistically speaking, you can't get 100% of users 100% satisfied. I can't provide 5 builds with different kernels and maintain so many packages. I'm human, just like you.

At the moment, the kernel is 2.6.32.x. It's not the latest but it's recent enough for most people and it works well for most users.

In other puppies there's nothing you can do, you'll have to wait for someone to update the kernel or make your own. I give you the option to make your own remix with a kernel that works for you ... that's much better than nothing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the operating system of your dreams, but that's life. Face it, nothing is perfect. And yes, it IS your problem that the driver isn't included. You can solve this problem and you choose not to.

I had exactly the same issues with Lucid. And hey, guess what? I built a kernel that works for me and made my own Lupu build with it.

ICQ Number 
jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:05    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Hey, calm down.

You got me totally wrong. Realistically speaking, you can't get 100% of users 100% satisfied. I can't provide 5 builds with different kernels and maintain so many packages. I'm human, just like you.

At the moment, the kernel is 2.6.32.x. It's not the latest but it's recent enough for most people and it works well for most users.

In other puppies there's nothing you can do, you'll have to wait for someone to update the kernel or make your own. I give you the option to make your own remix with a kernel that works for you ... that's much better than nothing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the operating system of your dreams, but that's life. Face it, nothing is perfect. And yes, it IS your problem that the driver isn't included. You can solve this problem and you choose not to.

I had exactly the same issues with Lucid. And hey, guess what? I built a kernel that works for me and made my own Lupu build with it.

all you had to say was no I don't make wifi driver pets I'm making this for me.
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:23    Post subject:  

Code:
ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so | grep found

Quote:
libssl3.so => not found
libsmime3.so => not found
libnss3.so => not found
libnssutil3.so => not found
libplds4.so => not found
libplc4.so => not found
libnspr4.so => not found

I havent gone further yet. Testing more now.
James C

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:26    Post subject:  

Moving on along from the other fun.... Laughing

Squeeze Reborn live pfix=ram on the old P3 test box.Sound, internet and display correct and working on initial boot.
First 2 little minor things, Flash Player wouldn't download and no icon for the browser on the desktop. Both easy enough to rectify but thought I'd report them. Smile

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 4.9.9

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 254980 240616 14364 0 11212
Swap: 1020088 59900 960188
Total: 1275068 300516 974552

Looks pretty good for an alpha release.
James C

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:36    Post subject:  

Live pfix=ram on my main Linux box.Once again,everything good on initial boot.Except the browser icon. Laughing

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 4.9.9

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1035MB (218MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 29 Jul 2011 04:49:29 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Thing I'll install this on this box a bit later.Looks like a good start.
jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:40    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Hey, calm down.

You contributed 4 or so pets and pieces of code toward lucid 526rc so maybe I got you wrong. and maybe this kernel doesn't work with wl.ko driver for all I know. regardless, I'm here to help as I can and learn. Your assertions about someone else are assumptions at best. I only have 8 os options at boot read some guy had over 100.
upnorth

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:44    Post subject:  

for libflashplayer:

Earlier, i added symlinks to those supporting libs for flash that i have on a seperate directory on hard drive. To get it to work, for some reason had to put the symlinks in either /usr/lib or /usr/X11R7/lib.

When I put them in /usr/lib/mozilla dir, they wouln't be found. But works fine now.

Added diffutils also. Very Happy
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 17:48    Post subject:  

Awesome. Fast.

First boot no problems, connected already to wired ethernet.

Frugal install on ext3.

Downloaded latest Firefox tar, extracted and runs fine.

Installed Aqualung from PPM squeeze repo, PPM grabbed all dependencies except libcurl3-gnutls_7.21.0-2_i386.deb.

I love aumix.

Downloaded mplayer from PPM squeeze repo, my test avi and mkv files played fine.

Nice wallpaper. Wink
499thumb.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   81.59 KB
 Viewed   835 Time(s)

499thumb.jpg

499.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  499.jpg 
Filesize  221.07 KB 
Downloaded  142 Time(s) 

pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 18:05    Post subject:  

Quick notes. Mplayer and Gnome-mplayer played avi and mp4 movies. Great. Didnt test subtitles yet.
Deadbeef does not play aac files. I havent got playing them with my compiled Deadbeef also. Mplayer plays them ok.
If aac does not work, you can leave those libs out and you get even smaller Deadbeef.
Drive icons lose drive icons after mounting.
Cpu usage in idle is really small with my laptop. Acpitool -s works and resumes.
It didnt work in previous squeeze 2.6.32 build long time ago.
Leaving Gnumeric and Abiword out suits me fine. Including mediaplayer also would be fine addition. In pinboard clicking console icon launches rxvt not aterm.
Trying to find myself with Opera. It sure is fast. Most important thing is that distro has good browser IMHO. Opera serves that function well. If you manage to get icons to Fotoxx menus, tell me the trick also. I like adding Fotoxx to the selection. It deserves more attention that it has got.

Just quick observations. I am glad that squeeze gets worthy build.
Page 2 of 16 [236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: