a start for PLUG

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Is Lucid Puppy development a good choice for PLUG to get started in this forum?

Poll ended at Sun 14 Aug 2011, 02:09

Yes!
33%
No, PLUG should instead start with [state_suggestion] in this forum.
28%
No, PLUG should be hosted somewhere else.
39%

Total votes: 18

raffy

a start for PLUG

#1 Post by raffy »

PLUG is a recent development, and the current discussion is how and where to host it. The first choice host is of course this forum (John has welcomed the idea), but the advocates have to show how it can be hosted here (hence, the request for written structure from John).

It has also been suggested that things will be easier if a small start can be done so that we can then see how the PLUG idea works.

Fortunately, Playdayz is busy with the development of 5.2.6.

Could this be the jumping-off point for PLUG to see how it works out in practice.?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Trobin

#2 Post by Trobin »

Not really sure what Plug is all about, but I suspect that if it is hosted as part of this forum it will get lost in the noise.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

shariebeth

Re: a start for PLUG

#3 Post by shariebeth »

raffy wrote:PLUG is a recent development, and the current discussion is how and where to host it. The first choice host is of course this forum (John has welcomed the idea), but the advocates have to show how it can be hosted here (hence, the request for written structure from John).
As I read John's post, the 5 people listed by John need to agree on a forum structure. Aitch has proposed one, and WhoDo has proposed one.
The rest of us are in limbo until that happens. So the 5 of you need to get together and agree on one as soon as possible and present it.

And I do not think PLUG should be restricted to one version. There are way too many others being used.

Nor should it be piecemealed together. That just makes a big mess and shows no forethought. If we have the whole structure up front, we can plan and organize accordingly.

Once this forum structure is in place, it should quickly become apparent how it will work.

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

Raffy

Maybe there is some misunderstanding going on...? ......this seems to be a 3rd or maybe 4th start for PLUG
What is the point of this vote?

In making his post, I interpreted John as meaning "In the Forum" after his "..bring the PLUG sub-section back......"
JohnMurga wrote:Hi,

I am prepared to bring the PLUG sub-section back, [my insert - location meaning here] and provide database or whatever else is required/requested for the project.

But given the recent mess I have the following conditions :
  • At least 3 of the following agree to be in charge (with admin rights over PLUG related content) : ttuuxxx, Aitch, WhoDo, raffy, Béèm.
    Any major decisions are approved/agreed on by these three, or at least three.
    I will work closely with these people to make this work.
    I am willing to consider additions to the Admin list, but they have to be long standing members with a proven interest in Puppy's future.
Take it or leave (it).

And please save me the self-righteous comments, if you had to deal with the crap I receiving right now your patience would be wearing thin too.

Cheers
John de Murga
It has only been in subsequent posts that WhoDo, I think, suggested putting PLUG on the WIKI, and again, this needs clarifying, as I interpreted that to be an 'as well' rather than an 'either/or' and to be used to give more PR to PLUG itself
It doesn't seem to me that the wiki lends itself to the proposals we have, and certainly will not link easily to the forum database, where most of the info we are having difficulties with, is located

As you know, I contacted Jon/darkcity already about having a PLUG section in the WIKI

Subsequently, John said
JohnMurga wrote:
Aitch wrote:Once we find out from John a bit more about what forum structure we'll be able to use, I'll post an update, until them, please can people stay calm, and not expect miracles.
You can expect whatever structure you ask for, unless you ask to change the rest of the forum.

However, I need you guys to have a clear idea of what you want, and agree between yourselves before hand.

So I would expect that someone drafts a proposal, gets the other PLUG admins to agree and then we move on from there.

Cheers
John de Murga
Again, that suggests, 'in the forum', .....you agree?

The present situation, is, that with other members of the previous team no longer active members of what was the driving force behind PLUG, which had already got a database offered and set up, by tlchost, and SharieBeth acting as coordinator, and many people contacted by PM, and myself posting as I do, still trying to maintain some enthusiasm....but it does feel as though the people John named as admins don't appear to be actively involved in trying to come to an agreement
I have done 'outreach PMs' as well as asking for help on the forum, but many people don't quite seem to have grasped, that there isn't a team of people working on this anymore.......there is, to all intents and purposes just me........in case anyone hasn't noticed :(

What else am I to do?

Please see my post here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69928

I do hope you and the other 'admin nominees' will consider this, so we, "at least 3 of us", can focus on the forum and structure. I have, so far, offered the only forum structure suggestion........the WIKI, can and will get done, when there is something to write about, I'm sure, So I hope you aren't going to be one of those who feels his nose has been put out of joint

This is MY last attempt at getting something done, then I'm going to take a break.......pushing water uphill is just not my idea of fun

Aitch :)

Stripe

#5 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@aitch
I am right behind you but until we have an agreed road map there isn't a lot that can be done. Try and keep the faith
whoosh!!
How about we make our own road map and submit it to the devs? so they have a starting point (just an idea)

@raffy
IMHO your idea seems like it could be a good starting point, but we have to wait for the named devs to submit a proposal to john murga as aitch has said.

tlchost

#6 Post by tlchost »

Aitch wrote: What is the point of this vote?
Could it be something so simple as a number of people don't think the PLUG should be housed on the forum?

No, PLUG should be hosted somewhere else.
53% [ 7 ]
This is MY last attempt at getting something done, then I'm going to take a break.......pushing water uphill is just not my idea of fun
The lack of support for the PLUG and your efforts says a lot.

Thom

shariebeth

#7 Post by shariebeth »

There are a fair number of people who want to help and have offered to do so. They are waiting for a place to do so.

THAT requires that at least 3 of the 5 people JM nominated to come to an agreement on how to structure the forum section so JM can make it.

The roadmap has been shown and discussed already in several threads. Possible forum structures have been shown and discussed as well. Granted some threads are messy and rambling, some are deleted, and some are locked. But it's all there.

Why wait and push for a forum home? Because this is where most users already go. This is the best way to see and be seen.

It's that simple.

Eathray

#8 Post by Eathray »

I wonder, could PLUG simply be presented as a topic, with subtopics, and could one of the subtopics be, "What I wish Puppy could do." This could be a place for developers to come and see what people are trying to use Puppy for, and act accordingly.

Some things Puppy already can do, but people have had a hard time finding out how... This has been my case more times then I recall. Those people could post and be directed to an appropriate thread, pet, or whatever. Others may be trying to do something that really could add to Puppy's capabilities, and that's where developers could find projects to stir their creativity.

Love Puppy, love the forums, but from time to time I've been totally lost here and have received the kind and gentle assistance of folks like Aitch and Mikeb, and too many others to name. A little structure could definitely add to the experience...

Trobin

#9 Post by Trobin »

In my opinion PLUG should not be on this forum.

If I were doing it, I would set up a seperate forum with defined sections for different areas, or puppies. And a clear understanding that there would be a benevolent dictator that would move messages between sections deending on whether he thought the message was specific to all puppies or specific to a puppy version or puplet.

Please look at an example of my idea of how it could be setup

http://speakpup.proboards.com/index.cgi

Though I wouldn't use proboards as puppy is international and proboards is english only.

Nothing against this forum but if I have what PLUG is after correct then it woukd be easier to start fresh, and it would need more structure than is wanted here. Also a more structured part of this forum versus the rest of it, would, I think, be confusing.

Just my 2 cents

Shutting up now.
Last edited by Trobin on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

Eathray

#10 Post by Eathray »

Trobin wrote: I set the following up as an example

http://speakpup.proboards.com/index.cgi

Trobin's example looks very clean, IMHO. But don't leave out Fatdog for 64-bit users :wink:

Eathray

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

I like to think Puppy is an open source software project built by users for users.

Some users contribute directly to Puppy's changes by working formally in development. Other users contribute in different ways. Packaging and maintaining packages would be one example. Providing puplets would be another example of how users contribute according to how they want to contribute. Running webservers hosting software. A myriad of ways.

I only use the 'Official Puppy'. Official means the Puppys Barry makes available. Probably if I considered that Puppy belongs to all of us and doesn't belong to any one of us, I'd have to rethink what 'Official' actually means.

Distrowatch shows Puppy as number 9 (page hits) of all the distributions. Everything above Puppy on Distrowatch's list is a full sized distribution. To me, this puts Puppy as number 1 in its class, which is small distributions. Puppy is already an outstanding success.

The forum has many sections, among them are Bugs and Suggestions. Why does the forum need another section? According to what I've read of the PLUG's mission, it doesn't need another forum. The primary mission (items 1-3 / 4) of the PLUG is to be of extra support to the developers and thus the extra and differently administered forums.

I think forum members should wonder where to post their Suggestions and Bug reports after the PLUG is established.

Will there be three forums to post Bugs and Suggestions instead of the existing two forums? If the Bugs and Suggestions forums are allowed to survive, the PLUG administrators and helpers will have to do what BarryK already does regularly, peruse those forums and consolidate information from them.

I don't know how Barry manages to do as much as he does and still be a prolific forum reader and contributor. Also, I think he is already in touch Puppy's users, as well as the information in the Bugs and Suggestions sections.

The reader can determine how in touch Barry is by reviewing his posts

A question I ask is: what about the existing forums and what the PLUG plans to do with the information in those forums to the benefit of the developers?

~