CUPS in Tahrpup 6.0.5

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
gusfagan

CUPS in Tahrpup 6.0.5

#1 Post by gusfagan »

I can't install my printer in CUPS in Tahrpup 6.0.5. I have installed in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7 and followed a similar procedure here but without success. The difference seems to have to do with the absence of a parallel port option in Tahrpup 6.0.5. My printer is HP Laserjet 5L. I can find it and select the Gutenberg driver but nothing prints.

I have scrolled through the discussion pages but not found a solution.
I could go back to Lucid but I have begun to like Tahrpup.
Thanks
gusfagan

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I can confirm that Tahrpup, at least in 602, is missing the kernel modules that auto-detect parallel printers. [Edit] See the clarification below.

You can manually install them with the command "modprobe lp".

But I am confused by your statement:
I can find it and select the Gutenberg driver but nothing prints.
How can you find it if CUPS does not show you a parallel port device?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

Have a look in quickpet in Tahr. I believe you'll find a driver for parallel printer ports on the far right tab. (I am not in front of a Tahr PC atm)

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I remember the following discussion which can come useful:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 599#850599

gusfagan

CUPS in Tahrpup6.0.5

#5 Post by gusfagan »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Selecting the parallel port driver in Qiickpet didn't work because nothing happened when I clicked on it. Entering 'modprobe lp' in the console did the trick.
End of topic.
gusfagan

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to be clear, this isn't really a kernel module problem - it's the ability to have the modules auto-loaded so parallel-port printing works seamlessly.

This used to work in old Puppies and I suspect that the CUPS daemon did the loading. Now you need to load the lp module yourself. You will probably need to do this at every boot, so put the line "modprobe lp" in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

The ppdev module is handy because it identifies the vendor/model of the printer, like what happens with USB printers. It's optional and you only need it once, when you install the printer in CUPS.

gusfagan

CUPS in Tahrpup 6.0.6

#7 Post by gusfagan »

Thanks. Putting 'modprobe lp' in the etc/rc.d/rc.local has resolved the problem.
gusfagan