Not enough personal space to download file

Booting, installing, newbie
neeko101

Not enough personal space to download file

#1 Post by neeko101 »

im trying to download lord of the rings online and its keeps say not enough personal space to finish download is there any way to fix this i have 1.2g personal space and it is almost 7g to download any ideas

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Choose to download to /mnt/home
That will be outside your save file.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

trogger

Where does it save?

#3 Post by trogger »

bigpup wrote:Choose to download to /mnt/home
That will be outside your save file.
Hi.

BigPup - I need to get up to speed on File systems.

If you have a really basic intro (for the non technically orientated) please post a link.

In the case you are responding to, when you say /mnt/home
where will this go - onto the harddrive?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am asking as I run my Dell Inspiron entirely off a USB stick (2 solid state drives previously failed, so I won't replace them again). I have physically removed the Solid state drive.

I am just trying to work out how and if I can go about keeping my USB OS stick "clean" and save things to a SD card I can leave in the machine and access when I need it.

Also, I am aware of how to increase my personal file size, but I think there is an upper limit to it, regardless of the size of theUSB stick? (And the bigger the personal file, presumably the slower the start up time?)

regards

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Someone is very used to Windows :shock: no worries, I use both.

Linux is not nearly as drive-centric as Windows. "/" = root of filesystem. "/mnt" refers to the part of the filesystem where drives appear when "mounted", or made useable. Windows does this automatically, but Linux does not. (Which is why you need to unmount your flash drive before you unplug it!)

"/mnt/home" is, therefore, the part of the filesystem where the boot partition is mounted. Partition =/= drive. Just like you can have C:\ and D:\ on the same physical hard drive in Windows, you can have sda1 and sda2 on Puppy. (Sometimes this is hda1 and hda2...) Because this is your boot partition, it's outside of your save file (which is usually ______.2fs or ______.3fs) and therefore doesn't affect how full it is.

Make sense, now?

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

When you are running Puppy you are using a basic Linux file system.
This is a basic explanation of a Linux file system.
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/lin ... structure/

The following is only about a frugal install of Puppy. Full installs will be different.
This is an example of the file system on my sda3 partition.
/mnt/home is the whole partition top layer.

The point is, if you put something in /mnt/home
You are putting it on the partition outside of the save file.
You are only limited by the free space on the partition.

Do not get the idea of installing stuff here. Just use it as a larger area to store stuff.
Downloaded videos, music, program packages before installing, pictures, etc...
Install programs into the normal file system.

If you click on the Puppy sfs file and the save file you will see the normal Linux file system that you see when running Puppy
When Puppy boots from a frugal install these two files load the file system.
Attachments
Partition sda3.jpg
(31.74 KiB) Downloaded 900 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

If this is a frugal install (and I suspect it is), then . . . .

-The default will be that most files will be contained within your save file. If you click on the little house on the upper left of your screen, you are really navigating around inside your save file. Since everything you see here is located within the savefile, you are constrained by the size of the savefile.

(The advantage of this is that by copying a single savefile, you are more or less backing up the entire operating system. The disadvantage is the size constraint. You can either make the savefile larger, or save things outside of it. As you say, you want to keep that drive "clean.")

therefore . . .
-On the bottom left of the desktop are various drive icons. If you click on one of these, you can save things outside of your savefile. (You should be able to see your savefile in one of these drives. The place where your savefile is sitting is /mnt/home. Often puppy users store large files here because it is outside the savefile, but easy to find both visually, and if necessary, by the puppy program itself at startup. (For example, it is possible to store a large program like openoffice at /mnt/home and have puppy load it when your computer boots)

When asked by a program for a location to which to save files, you can generally keep clicking "up". This will bring you out of root (your savefile) and eventually to /mnt. All of your drives (and some other stuff I don't understand) branches off from /mnt. From /mnt you can click on other drives and find a desired location to save material.

All of this is written by a noobie for a noobie. (I've complained elsewhere about some of the confusing nomenclature, but smarter people have explained that there is a logical reason for this)

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

Assuming you have a frugal install, the partition you install to is called /mnt/home.
This is an area of the partition that is ouside of your pupsave file.
When you go to download a file instead of left clicking on the file to download, right click on it and select "save target as".
Then select to save the file to /mnt/home and you should be set.
If the game is really big, installing it in your pupsave can fill it quickly.