Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 08:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
plugging a External USB HDD to puppeee
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
gilbertman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 02:32    Post subject:  plugging a External USB HDD to puppeee
Subject description: i finally got a usb HDD

well i finally got a USB HDD, but its not mine since i borrowed it from my cousin, i'm allowed to transfer all my personal files there, but i'm not allowed to do anything else with the files that's already in there and it includes not formatting the drive.

the drive was formatted by her on her windows Vista pc years ago

1: is it safe to plug it in puppy linux? because if puppee auto-formats her drive i'm screwed, my cousin WILL KILL ME if her files get messed up

2: once i'm done copying my folders and files and whatnot to the HDD, will it still be visible on her windows pc?

3: will the filesystem of the HDD get changed in anyway (eg:all files inside becomes linux visible only) without my permission?

thanks for letting me know!
p310don

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 02:46    Post subject:  

Relax, you can plug her external hard drive into your Puppeee machine with no worries about damaging anything.

Quote:
1: is it safe to plug it in puppy linux? because if puppee auto-formats her drive i'm screwed, my cousin WILL KILL ME if her files get messed up

Yes, its safe. Puppeee, nor any puppy, will not automatically format anything.

Quote:
2: once i'm done copying my folders and files and whatnot to the HDD, will it still be visible on her windows pc?

Yes, if you don't format the drive, it will still be in a format that windows understands, and therefore, windows will see your files too.

Quote:
3: will the filesystem of the HDD get changed in anyway (eg:all files inside becomes linux visible only) without my permission?

No, as answered in 1, Puppy won't change anything, unless you ask it to!

*******NOTE********
When unplugging the hard drive, make sure you unmount it first. That can be done either by going to Pmount and clicking unmount on your external drive, or, seeing the drive on the desktop, right click on it, and clicking on "unmount sd*1 if currently mounted". Sometimes (rarely) if you pull the plug and it is being written to, you can get errors. Windows will also have issues if you do that, its the same as the safely remove hardware thing in windows.

HTH

Paul
gilbertman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 04:26    Post subject:  

thanks for the reply!
Aitch

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 05:56    Post subject:  

gilbertman

I suggest you make a file with your name on it, so she'll know it's your stuff, or else you can change permissions of the file.
Hide the file by adding .hide (dot hide) behind its name with Rename from the right click menu on the icon. You will need to click on the Eye symbol to see the file in rox - I believe

Or a steganography app, maybe, if you want secure?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57806

Aitch Smile
gilbertman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 06:01    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
gilbertman

I suggest you make a file with your name on it, so she'll know it's your stuff, or else you can change permissions of the file.
Hide the file by adding .hide (dot hide) behind its name with Rename from the right click menu on the icon. You will need to click on the Eye symbol to see the file in rox - I believe

Or a steganography app, maybe, if you want secure?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57806

Aitch Smile

ah that sounds great for my exciting video collections Wink

i was actually looking for a Gui version of winrar so i can rar everything up and put a password to it but i cou;dn't find one with a GUI, steganography looks good, thanks so much!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: