Derivatives - a full list

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Aitch

Derivatives - a full list

#1 Post by Aitch »

Hi

DERIVATIVES

This thread will be added to PLUG once it is set up.....

If you have developed, or know of a derivative of Puppy Linux, please list it here.
It would help immensely to know

1/ Which Puppy it is based on?
2/ Which kernel is used?
3/ What special features identify this derivative, so as to attract users?
4/ Is it designed to run on any particular hardware?
5/ Which build system was used in its creation?
6/ Where is the download link?
7/ Is it maintained?
8/ Any other useful info/comment?

thanks

Aitch :)

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Aitch I'm sure you have seen this but not a bad place to start.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Puplet%20for ... atures.htm

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

Hi Smokey

Of course, but it doesn't answer all the questions posed, which is why I did it

Knowing the name of derivatives, and a few details, isn't nearly enough info

For further reasons see PLUG

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69437

Thanks

PS puppyluvr has hinted at doing a generic non version-specific manual

Did you ever do an update of your original?
(mentioned here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=545120)

gnomic

derivatives show and tell web page

#4 Post by gnomic »

Way back in the mists of time there used to be a web page where just about all derivatives were advertised for want of a better word. That's to say most derivatives of any import appeared on the page as they were released with a screen shot or two, some description of what they were about, size of the isos, and links for download. Then Puppy's web presence was reorganised, and as near as I could tell this useful feature disappeared. These days one has to trawl through Puppy Derivatives to try and keep track. Afraid I'm a bit vague here as to what the url of the page I am thinking of was, who organised it, how the listing was done (ie by the derivative devs or by some central scrutiniser), and so on. Presumably some trace of it still exists in web archives.

Anyone remember this? Maybe it is still out there somewhere and I have just lost track of it. Or maybe it is something that could be revived by some good keen person? I found it rather useful. Obviously this forum has important functions such as detailed descriptions of derivatives and bug reporting, fan mail and so on, but a web page that listed derivatives with brief details and piccies could also assist with the mission.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

Smokey,

The problem for newbies is that there is so much info at different places and unfortunately not kept up to date.
f.e. your referenced link is nice, but lacks the latest developments going on, like Tazoc's work on LightHouse, Jememah's work on the Fluppy's and Eeepc's, the 'cold' puppy's of pemasu, the spup series.
And I apologize fir other ones I didn't mention.

Also as Aitch points out, there is a lack of detail info.

Also who is responsible for the updating of the pages you reference?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: derivatives show and tell web page

#6 Post by Lobster »

gnomic wrote:Or maybe it is something that could be revived by some good keen person?
Being revived by darkcity
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cowboy

#7 Post by cowboy »

Lobster wrote:
gnomic wrote:Or maybe it is something that could be revived by some good keen person?

That is terrific! A+
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

TLM

#8 Post by TLM »

gnomic wrote:Way back in the mists of time there used to be a web page where just about all derivatives were advertised for want of a better word. That's to say most derivatives of any import appeared on the page as they were released with a screen shot or two, some description of what they were about, size of the isos, and links for download. Then Puppy's web presence was reorganised, and as near as I could tell this useful feature disappeared. These days one has to trawl through Puppy Derivatives to try and keep track. Afraid I'm a bit vague here as to what the url of the page I am thinking of was, who organised it, how the listing was done (ie by the derivative devs or by some central scrutiniser), and so on. Presumably some trace of it still exists in web archives.

Anyone remember this? Maybe it is still out there somewhere and I have just lost track of it. Or maybe it is something that could be revived by some good keen person? I found it rather useful. Obviously this forum has important functions such as detailed descriptions of derivatives and bug reporting, fan mail and so on, but a web page that listed derivatives with brief details and piccies could also assist with the mission.
Yes! I remember the page. Got my start in Puplets there. Many good old ones like Deltapup and Vesta Pup and many many many more, now one has to search the Internet to find these, and some cannot be found. I liked that page a lot.

puppyluvr

#9 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Can we do this in a chronological order?
I mean I have puplets going back to 2.15 series, as do many others..

For me:
Buddapup 215... An E-16 Lighthouse Pup..

Buddapup 217... An E-17 Pup..

Undercoverpup... A 3.01 based Pup designed to run as Windows in VBox..

IcePup 3.01... A Lightweight Pup with Icewm and Gdesklets..

Transitions 3.01... "A Windoze look" Pup with Icewm and OpenOffice...

Buddapup 4.0 ... An E-17 Pup..

12 Browser Dingo... A silly Pup with 12 browsers..

P.A.W. 4.12...The Puppy Linux Photo Artists Workshop with everything graphic related...

OK, recently,
Lupen..
1.. 5.25/Lucid
2.. Kernel 2.6.38.4
3.. Compiz-Fusion/Emerald and Cairo-Dock/GLX-Dock including Firefox, Gimp 2.6.10, and much more..
4.. Built for Compaq/HP laptops, but will run on any high end machine, including support for Multicore Processors, and up to 8gb ram...
5.. Woof/EZWoof5.25 (and Multipup and mksquashfs....LOL)
6.. At my sig or http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/puppyluvr/
7.. Still a work in progress, with several "build up" versions labeled Lupu-5.29/5.39...
8.. See the Lupen thread....

Some of these above are available @ the link in my signature..
But most are obsolete..
For example...I would not point anyone towards Buddapup, as Macpup does E-17 much better, and is newer and currently still upgrading....
Maybe "Supported" , "Unsupported" and "Obsolete" areas??

:idea:
A sister thread...
Pets/Sfs`s a complete list with descriptions.(deadbeef??) of Pets , especially those not in the PPM... Very important in my opinion....
A few dozen of those in my sig as well...
Maybe "Approved" "Untested" and "Huh??"
:D
Organized by Programs, NOT authors..
Erics site had massive redundancy from that...
Thoughts??
Last edited by puppyluvr on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 04:46, edited 4 times in total.

sheepy

#10 Post by sheepy »

Here's my SlimPup:
1. lithpr's RexBang Beta 1.0; Lucid 525.
2. 2.6.33.2
3. Looks like Crunchbang, but more lightweight since it's Puppy. Eliminates cluttered menus by having a more concise menu. Basically, it just looks cool and has everything I need right out of the box.
4. Nope.
5. Not sure what you mean by that o.o
6. http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 8811.shtml
7. Indeed.
8. Softpedia refuses to update screenshots >_>

And my Justin Bieber Linux:
1. Forked off an early version of my SlimPup
2. 2.6.33.2
3. Justin-Bieber themed linux... It's a joke.
4. Nope.
5. Not sure what you mean by that o.o
6. http://sourceforge.net/projects/biebian ... o/download
7. Nah, it was really a joke, so I don't mess with it anymore.
8. The bros at /g/ got a real kick out of it.

Trobin

#11 Post by Trobin »

cowboy wrote:
Lobster wrote:

That is terrific! A+
The version of speakpup on that page is not available, at least not from me.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

darkcity

#12 Post by darkcity »

Thanks to Lobster for pointing to people to

Puppy Versions List

I've been working on updating this list - the format is provisional. if anyone has better idea post below or update.

In the original table screenshots were include, I've now separated to separate page.

Screenshots

As much as I like tidying and finding out about Puplets, any help with maintaining Puppy Version list appreciated.

@Puppyluvr
On the Puppy Version List I've made separate tables for Active, Superseded and Unmaintained

So it isn't strictly chronological, however there is a page for Release date and codenames which could be expanded to derivatives.
Puppy Timeline

@sheepy
I've added your two to the puppy version list, if you want to help maintain list that'd be grand.

@Trobin
I've updated the SpeakPup to the main table. I assume SpeakPup is still maintained and the latest version is V0.05. I haven't been able to find a copy of SpeakPup to download from the internet. If you know where please add to list.

----
A template needs making from Puppy Versions, so far there are only templates for Software and Users.
Wiki Templates

smokey01

#13 Post by smokey01 »

darkcity the list is coming together nicely.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could make the headings drop down or combo boxes so people could search for specific configurations. After you limited the list then click on a link to see more information about the distro such as bundled software.

It might take a bit of work but it would be very useful.

darkcity

#14 Post by darkcity »

Not sure this is possible using just wiki markup. Although I know you can embed html. But it should be easy for anyone to edit. I'll have a look later when I'm investigating language support. Wikka has many plugins, for example ithas one that allows WYSIWYG editing.

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

Hi darkcity

Jon, can you add in the word 'Official' into the Wiki Versions list/'Derivative of' section, and state,' - Including Derivatives' in the title, Puppy Versions, as many people want an Official Puppy, whilst others want a Derivative.
Currently, searching the Wiki for derivatives/Derivatives shows no actual derivatives result in the 9 choices offered

Great start, however this also shows another reason for my suggestion of syncing databases between forum and Wiki

Love the walking font man :D

thanks

darkcity

#16 Post by darkcity »

Hi Aitch

Do you mean put Official in the Derivative of column if its an official version?

Also I wonder if you can help me on which versions are official?

Puppy 525, 511, 431 - are official but what about
4.3.2, 4.4, 2.14R, 2.14X, Wary and Quirky ?

I think what is important to users is long term support and a wide user base with knowledge of version. For example Puppeee has good support and user base but it isn't official as far as I'm aware.

Please update the wiki directly if you see a mistake or improvement, or if unsure comment on the page saying what you'd like to see.

; -)

coopsurv

here's my wary 5.1.1 build

#17 Post by coopsurv »

in short... wary 5.1.1 retro with 217/431 base.

nothing grand less it runs like old 2.17.1... down to system requirements and memory footprint... usage... yet it's without doubt wary 5.1.1.

my builds closely mimic Barry's... atleast as much as possible regarding packages.../etc/...blah... so not a great need for heavy detail... meaning it's simply a more refined version of Barry's... from which he posts details well.

well... i guess my best attempt asto detail would simply be...

...an hybrid of original 2.17.1 crossed with Barry's current wary 5.1.1... with abit of packaging... blah from Barry's original 4.31... less it itself runs like 2.17.1... completely... including system requirements.

...up at puppy2.org/coopsurv
Attachments
wpup5x.jpg
(94.49 KiB) Downloaded 3640 times

darkcity

#18 Post by darkcity »

Hi Coopsurv

Your Puplet looks good, is it call Wary 5.11 Retro?

If you can provide details in the following format I will add it to the
wiki Puppy Version List

same goes for anyone else's Puplet

Name
Derivative of
Kernel
Size
Window Manager

Description (short, you can make a page on the wiki for a long description)
Link

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

Jon

Yes, that was the intention about Official, , although I don't know the answer....part of the reason for my thread [Barry K decides this AFAIK]

I concur with puppyluvr, add details about whether maintained as per my list.

Active, Superseded and Unmaintained as you have it seems to do the job, though - great job. hope the details keep coming in

Maybe, as has been used elsewhere, list early/pre214 [as only surviving/maintained] as Vintage?

To me, it makes little difference if this important info is available/coordinated in the forum, in PLUG, or in the Wiki....as long as it is available

darkcity

#20 Post by darkcity »

Does Vintage mean old version of OS or OS for old hardware?