ISpup

#1 Post by TLM »

Get it at http://www.revolutionvoice.com
Direct Link: http://www.revolutionvoice.com/ISpup-Q120.iso
ISO is 132 mb
MD5: CEE03B976AB2EE0E4F125D461F7C31F0
Google Earth PET now available:
http://www.revolutionvoice.com/google_earth.pet
Tested and works in ISpup-Q120. You will need to have a graphics card and driver to support it first. NVIDIA drivers are available on the Downloads page. ISpup-Q120 has Kernel 2.6.33.2
Java Runtime Environment PET now available:
http://www.revolutionvoice.com/jre-6u26-1-i386.pet

ISpup-Q120 is now available for download on the Downloads page. This is basically a "spit and polished" remaster of Quirky-120 NOP . (Thanks to Barry Kauler and PuppyLinux Forum member Gray) The IS in ISpup stands for "Industrial Strength" because I had previously remastered Puppy431NOP, and once I had it to where it satisfied all of my computing needs, it was, for me, "Industrial Strength." However this is not meant to imply that this Puplet is any better or more functional than others. The name "ISpup" was catching, so I stuck with it. I may release ISpup431 at a later date.

Changes-Additions I have made:

Pristine naming of all Menu entries (capitlization of titles and removal of some .desktop extensions that showed up in the menu)
Updated Firefox to version 5.0
Flashplayer 10.3 r181
Custom icons for Home and Trash
Some custom Menu icons
Installed "Wonderland" cursor theme
Some new backgrounds
Removed some XFCE themes, installed T-ish brushed theme (went with Stardust theme as default)
Installed Kompozer 0.8b3
Installed pupctorrent
SuperTux game (Thanks to PuppyLinux Forum member tuxxx)
Installed pwireless
Installed Broadcom wifi drivers (Thanks to PuppyLinux Forum member pemasu)
Installed pconvert
Fleshed out gparted with mtools and reiserfsprogs

Those Up and Down green arrows in the panel? Totally unnecessary but quirky feature. Download it to see what they do :D

One of the first things I noticed was that there was no readily available screenshot utility. A newcomer might not easily catch on to right-clicking and adding the Xfce screenshot applet, so what I have done is make a .desktop file for it. Also hiding in usr/bin was a second screenshot utility; the one that comes with mtPaint, so I made a .desktop file for that as well. I made a launcher in the panel with both screenshot utilities, so now there are not one, but TWO screenshot utilities at the user's fingertips. Also, these two utilities now also appear in the Menu under the Graphics category.

Removed the top panel. Another thing that I noticed was that xkill had no menu entry, so after deleting the top panel, I made a .desktop file for xkill which can now be found in the menu under System.

I have configured a Generic Monitor (genmon) applet in the panel to report the CPU temperature. The script for reporting the CPU temp is located in /usr/share/CpuTempScript. (Thanks to PuppyLinux Forum member GOXAN for help with this) Please note that not all hardware will support CPU temperature monitoring. If all you get is an F in the panel, then your hardware most likely does not support this, in which case you can simply remove the genmon applet and delete the above mentioned script is desired.

I remastered this with dougalremaster which I installed, however it requires the usual fixes and workarounds:
Must backup /root/.packages and restore these during the process, otherwise the Puppy Package Manager gets broken (they are hidden files; must enable Show Hidden Files)
Must rename pup-120.sfs to qrky-120.sfs (I used ISO Master after the ISO creation and Saved As option)
Must backup and restore help.msg and logo.16 to the puppylivecd build folder prior to creating an ISO.

I had created a DougalRemaster .desktop file, however I deleted it to prevent confusion should a newcomer to Puppy try to use it. However the executable pupremaster.sh is still in usr/sbin if advanced users wish to use it.

There are numerous tweaks to Firefox as well. Some themes, also moved the navigation buttons to the same row as the Menu to gain screen space. Used about:config to enable single-click selection in the address bar and also to make the keyboard Backspace key perform the Back navigation function.
Last edited by TLM on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 06:39, edited 3 times in total.

TLM

#2 Post by TLM »

The boot splash and the Xfce splash. Retaining the Quirky logo and NOP is in the color gray; tributes to the guys who done the hard stuff!

lithpr

#3 Post by lithpr »

Hi! Which version of XFCE do you use?

Ray MK

#4 Post by Ray MK »

Hi TLM

Playing now - very nice - So far all seems good.

Thank you for sprucing-up an outstanding Puppy.

Your website is also IMHO very impressive.

Again, many thanks for giving us a luvly new Puppy to play with.

Very best regards - Ray

Henry

Re: ISpup

#5 Post by Henry »

Hello, TLM,

Had to respond, being of similar interests. Have used the various Nops (well not wobbly) including QuirkyNop-120 since it appeared. This is my heavy duty continuous work machine, tweaked to the nth degree for my use. I hardly remember the quaint desktop that gray started with :-)

My web description will suffice:
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Henry

TLM

#6 Post by TLM »

lithpr wrote:Hi! Which version of XFCE do you use?
Its 4.6. I did not change anything as far as XFCE is concerned. 4.6 is the version that gray used when he NOPPED Quirky.

TLM

#7 Post by TLM »

Ray MK wrote:Hi TLM

Playing now - very nice - So far all seems good.

Thank you for sprucing-up an outstanding Puppy.

Your website is also IMHO very impressive.

Again, many thanks for giving us a luvly new Puppy to play with.

Very best regards - Ray
Thank you! The site is new, and still working on it in my spare time. I hope to host several Puppy related things here. Kind of a mini repo.

TLM

Re: ISpup

#8 Post by TLM »

Henry wrote:Hello, TLM,

Had to respond, being of similar interests. Have used the various Nops (well not wobbly) including QuirkyNop-120 since it appeared. This is my heavy duty continuous work machine, tweaked to the nth degree for my use. I hardly remember the quaint desktop that gray started with :-)

My web description will suffice:
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Henry
Looking good! The power of Linux exemplified. I still use VirtualBox with a virtual Windows XP for one program only; ImgBurn. I have not gotten into Wine yet. I just use ImgBurn because I can change the volume label of the ISO with it (you probably noticed that my puplet was not generically named CDROM!) Theres probably a way to do this in Linux, but I am still learning. If you ever need a place to host a puplet, message me here in the forum.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Rather nice! Have always had a great respect for the work of 'gray'.
Few items for consideration:
- the icons were scrambled randomly across a 1024x768 screen
- gray often preferred Opera. So do I and a majority of Puppy users, according to polls. It is faster and far less bloated than recent FF versions. Install it direct as a Deb(other) from the Opera website.
- it is usual protocol to put folks online with a default DHCP connection these days. Recent Puppies now do this. Not sure how easy/difficult this mod. might be with 4.31? However, you might give this some priority in view of the expanding user base and expectations/limitations of incomers?

Glad to see you are keeping this derivative fairly lean, but there's always scope to trim, even with enhanced features, as BK is showing. He has now indicated a target of 100Mb .iso might be possible for Wary.

And finally: where are you? Please edit your profile.

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

I know some one is going to ask, and report a bug, so I guess I will start.
I found that cpu-frequency scaling is not included.
I downloaded it and it fails to recognize my Nvidia CPU.
As a matter of fact, even the generic one failed.

Also, I am unable to get any sort of xfce screen effects as the Nvidia driver cannot find GLX.

Also, being used to the layout of the menu on other Puppy versions, this takes some getting used to.

With my screen resolution of 1280x1024, the icons are about the middle of the screen.

WBar would have been a nice addition to clean up the screen a little bit.

Also, and do not ask me why, the nvidia driver I downloaded using Puppy Package Manager failed to run the nvidia-settings with a segmentation fault.
I had the driver with the same name I had downloaded previously and it installed and nvidia-settings worked fine.
Also, inclusion of some sort of text editor would have been nice.
I am off to have it make a pupsave file as I have not done that yet.
So if I find more, I will report back.

TLM

#11 Post by TLM »

Sage wrote:Rather nice! Have always had a great respect for the work of 'gray'.
Few items for consideration:
- the icons were scrambled randomly across a 1024x768 screen
- gray often preferred Opera. So do I and a majority of Puppy users, according to polls. It is faster and far less bloated than recent FF versions. Install it direct as a Deb(other) from the Opera website.
- it is usual protocol to put folks online with a default DHCP connection these days. Recent Puppies now do this. Not sure how easy/difficult this mod. might be with 4.31? However, you might give this some priority in view of the expanding user base and expectations/limitations of incomers?

Glad to see you are keeping this derivative fairly lean, but there's always scope to trim, even with enhanced features, as BK is showing. He has now indicated a target of 100Mb .iso might be possible for Wary.

And finally: where are you? Please edit your profile.
Opera was not present on the original Quirky 120 NOP from which i done the remaster, so i am thinking that gray did not put it on that NOP. The icons may not necessarily show up where the screenshot shows them, particularly if you have other partitions and the Desktop Drive Icons Manager shows an icon for your other partitions on the desktop, it tends to shove other icons out of the way. However you can drag the icons with your mouse and line them up(there are grid limitations) and they will then, for the most part stay where you put them. I do not know about autoconnecting to the Internet. I have to find what file to modify if it can be done. Thank you for your feedback. BTW i placed a bookmark in Firefox to the original QuirkyNOP forum thread. Much if not all of the info there should also be applicable to ISpup.

TLM

#12 Post by TLM »

8-bit wrote:I know some one is going to ask, and report a bug, so I guess I will start.
I found that cpu-frequency scaling is not included.
I downloaded it and it fails to recognize my Nvidia CPU.
As a matter of fact, even the generic one failed.

Also, I am unable to get any sort of xfce screen effects as the Nvidia driver cannot find GLX.

Also, being used to the layout of the menu on other Puppy versions, this takes some getting used to.

With my screen resolution of 1280x1024, the icons are about the middle of the screen.

WBar would have been a nice addition to clean up the screen a little bit.

Also, and do not ask me why, the nvidia driver I downloaded using Puppy Package Manager failed to run the nvidia-settings with a segmentation fault.
I had the driver with the same name I had downloaded previously and it installed and nvidia-settings worked fine.
Also, inclusion of some sort of text editor would have been nice.
I am off to have it make a pupsave file as I have not done that yet.
So if I find more, I will report back.
Hi, there is a text editor. Its called Mousepad. It is in the menu somewhere. What NVIDIA card do you have? I have a GeForce 6200 and this driver worked ok for me:
http://www.revolutionvoice.com/NVIDIA-2 ... 3.2-q1.pet

I have 3 other drivers up on my site for Kernel 2.6.33.2, but I have only tested the one above in ISpup.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

BK wrote this today:
Also, there are some packages that are kernel-version-sensitive, for example 'dhcpcd' seems to be. I recall a tentative list of such packages being made up some years ago, yes, in this page (search for the word "sensitive"):
http://puppylinux.com/news/news217.1-220a.htm
- over to you.

TLM

#14 Post by TLM »

Google Earth and Java Runtime Environment now available on ISpup website. See top post for the direct links.
Or visit http://www.revolutionvoice.com/dl.html

Office coming soon.

davids45

#15 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I have made a Frugal install of your ISpup to see what it is like. Once I could get it fully installed, ISpup has been running very well. I could add my usual pets and sfs packages with no crashes or faults.

My desktop has a troublesome ATI graphics card (using the radeon driver) which stops working before shut-down completes so I can not create a Save file (black screen) using the Universal Installer. As I found with the lucid-based Pups which also give black screens on this desktop, I can make an empty Save file (e.g. qrky-ispup.2fS) and move this into the ISpup subdirectory which after re-booting, is used to save my computer's settings. After this, I still get a black screen as soon as I hit 'reboot' but session data is not lost.

To fix this loss of graphics during shut-down with lucid pups, I install the proprietary ATI Catalyst driver and restart X to replace the radeon driver that seems to be my problem.

But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere?

And I'd like to change the generic icon on the defaultemail I dragged to the desktop from /usr/local/bin to an email png or xpm but clicking on the desktop icon does not give a change-icon button. Other desktop icons are fine but not this one.

And is there a way to arrange the desktop icons automatically? I've manually dragged them all to where I think they look nice but I'd like to know if there is a different way to do this.

Thank you for sharing your Pup with us.

David S.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

restart X can be done by hitting CTRL-ALT-Backspace and typing xwin.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

TLM

#17 Post by TLM »

Béèm wrote:restart X can be done by hitting CTRL-ALT-Backspace and typing xwin.
I have also found that typing startx ofrstartxfce4 works too, but xwin is the what the prompt tells you while you are dropped to the shell.
Last edited by TLM on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#18 Post by Tman »

TLM,

I am downloading your pup at this moment, out of curiousity. QuirkyNOP-120 was my favourite during my initial months of exposure to puppy linux. I found it to be very stable and it also had more of a Windows feel to it than other pups, which helped make the transistion easier. I made a remastered version myself but then went it in favour of IceWM-based puplets.

If it is anything like Quirky-NOP, your puplet should be very stable and also good for newbies.
davids45 wrote:...
But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere? ...
I remember having a problem with that; what I did was made an icon on the quicklaunch bar. The command I used was restartwm

EDIT:

I have tried it for about half an hour or so. Stability seems good so far. One recommendation would be to reorganize the desktop icons so they don't look so scattered. Xfce is capable of displaying multiple launchbars that aren't too difficult to configure. They also have an auto-hide feature.
A sample pic is provided for your consideration. Please note that I wanted to quickly make multiple launch bars as an example so, my launchbars don't actually work. I just made the links to the pics and did not enter any executable commands or descriptions.
Attachments
ISpup sample pic.jpeg
xfce multiple quicklaunch sample
(65.47 KiB) Downloaded 1682 times

TLM

#19 Post by TLM »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

I have made a Frugal install of your ISpup to see what it is like. Once I could get it fully installed, ISpup has been running very well. I could add my usual pets and sfs packages with no crashes or faults.

My desktop has a troublesome ATI graphics card (using the radeon driver) which stops working before shut-down completes so I can not create a Save file (black screen) using the Universal Installer. As I found with the lucid-based Pups which also give black screens on this desktop, I can make an empty Save file (e.g. qrky-ispup.2fS) and move this into the ISpup subdirectory which after re-booting, is used to save my computer's settings. After this, I still get a black screen as soon as I hit 'reboot' but session data is not lost.

To fix this loss of graphics during shut-down with lucid pups, I install the proprietary ATI Catalyst driver and restart X to replace the radeon driver that seems to be my problem.

But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere?

And I'd like to change the generic icon on the defaultemail I dragged to the desktop from /usr/local/bin to an email png or xpm but clicking on the desktop icon does not give a change-icon button. Other desktop icons are fine but not this one.

And is there a way to arrange the desktop icons automatically? I've manually dragged them all to where I think they look nice but I'd like to know if there is a different way to do this.

Thank you for sharing your Pup with us.

David S.
Hi David,
If you want to change the icon of defaultemail, you will need to create a .desktop file. This will also place it in the start menu. I have created one:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Default-Email
Icon=stock_xfburn-import-session
Comment=Opens default email application
Exec=/usr/local/bin/defaultemail
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Internet;X-Internet
GenericName=Default-Email
Copy and paste the above code into Mousepad text editor (in your Utility category in the start menu) and then save it to the following directory /usr/share/applications
You will have to enter a name for the file when saving it before you click the Save button. I used the name Default-Email

You can then change the icon by either right clicking and going to Properties, or use Open With Mousepad and changing the Icon= line. Once you have your desired icon set, you can then drag it to the desktop, or right click and Send To the desktop. The Send To option creates a link, whereas dragging it will copy the launcher itself onto your desktop. Either method will work just fine. I prefer dragging them to my desktop since the Send To option creates a link with a green arrow mark on the icon, which i find unattractive.

TLM

Re: ..

#20 Post by TLM »

Tman wrote:TLM,

I am downloading your pup at this moment, out of curiousity. QuirkyNOP-120 was my favourite during my initial months of exposure to puppy linux. I found it to be very stable and it also had more of a Windows feel to it than other pups, which helped make the transistion easier. I made a remastered version myself but then went it in favour of IceWM-based puplets.

If it is anything like Quirky-NOP, your puplet should be very stable and also good for newbies.
davids45 wrote:...
But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere? ...
I remember having a problem with that; what I did was made an icon on the quicklaunch bar. The command I used was restartwm

EDIT:

I have tried it for about half an hour or so. Stability seems good so far. One recommendation would be to reorganize the desktop icons so they don't look so scattered. Xfce is capable of displaying multiple launchbars that aren't too difficult to configure. They also have an auto-hide feature.
A sample pic is provided for your consideration. Please note that I wanted to quickly make multiple launch bars as an example so, my launchbars don't actually work. I just made the links to the pics and did not enter any executable commands or descriptions.
Yes, Thank you. I have only placed what I thought were the essential icons on the desktop to enable the enduser to get connected to the Internet and configure a firewall, etc. Everyone is going to want their icons arranged differently, so I am leaving that up to the enduser.

The restartwm is a good idea. I am already considering releasing another version with a few tweaks. I could put a restart window manager launcher in the panel, or just add it to the shutdown launcher i already have there.