Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 31 [464 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
outis

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 14:15    Post subject:  

Hm,

1. setterm -blank 0
2. setterm -powersave off
3. setterm -powerdown 0
4. setvesablank -b off

no chance...
ldolse

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 21:02    Post subject:  

Are you saying you got setterm installed in some other way? Messing with terminal font sizes isn't something I have any experience with. Have you tried setfont?

I don't think you want to try enabling the framebuffer if you've already got VGA - framebuffer always seems to choose a higher resolution (XGA?) resulting in a smaller font, although it's possible it may allow more font size tweaking.

An alternate way (though not free) to solve this would be to go with an LCD/VFD display. These iMon based options should work out of the box:
http://www.soundgraph.com/vfd-feature-en/
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=39
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzExJjE2

Though for full disclosure i've only tested the OEM version in a Silverstone ML02 case. The lcdproc drivers for other LCDs are built-in as well, so any lcdproc compatible LCD should theoretically work, there are cheaper options out there than iMon if you go this route.
ldolse

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012, 21:06    Post subject:  

outis wrote:
Hm,

1. setterm -blank 0
2. setterm -powersave off
3. setterm -powerdown 0
4. setvesablank -b off

no chance...

Did you try
Code:
setterm -powersave off -blank 0

Edit: looks like you can add a kernel boot flag to set the screen saver to zero as well:
http://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior
outis

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 01:27    Post subject:  

THX a lot, I'll try that.

Yes, I installed setterm/setvesablank: You can extract the original squeeze-deb with dbkg-deb -x, then cp the programm e.g. setterm in it's original directory e.g. /usr/sbin. Or extract the whole stuff dbkg-pkg -x your.deb /
outis

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 02:16    Post subject:  

no luck with: setterm -powersave off -blank 0

Where can I configure the kernel flags in mpdPup?
ldolse

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 02:52    Post subject:  

Cool, using the .deb should theoretically work.

I believe you can set the kernel flags in /mnt/home/syslinux.cfg (isolinux.cfg if that doesn't work). I'm pretty sure there is a key you can press during the boot to manually enter it as well.

My system is headless, I'll go ahead and attach a monitor and see if I can get anything working on my side.
outis

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 06:14    Post subject:  

BTW: On my HD-installation I use X + icewm + apache

So I can read informations in a distance of a few feet. That would be a nice feature for mpdPup. Wink
Because I wish to use the mpd-box without HD.

Edit: s/icewm/iceweasel

Last edited by outis on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 08:56; edited 1 time in total
ldolse

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 08:25    Post subject:  

outis wrote:
BTW: On my HD-installation I use X + icewm + apache

So I can read informations in a distance of a few feet. That would be a nice feature for mpdPup. Wink
Because I wish to use the mpd-box without HD.

Which client is generating that view in X? Having an X based client for people who prefer a monitor/TV is actually pretty high on my to-do list, higher than trying to figure out how to change the terminal fonts Smile. GMPC is the client I was leaning toward, but it has a lot of dependencies I need to sort out - that screenshot looks like something different, and a small client with minimal dependencies would probably get in sooner.
outis

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 08:43    Post subject:  

That's a little modified neompc, modified for 800x600
http://pixelhum.com/portfolio/neompc/

My neompc is startpage of Firefox/iceweasel, who is starting in fullscreen-mode.

BTW: I tried to install iceweasel on mpdPup, but the squeeze-libs are obviously non compatible.
ldolse

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012, 08:57    Post subject:  

php is also high on my list along with some web client options, unfortunately php has a lot more dependencies than gmpc.

Firefox isn't built into the main iso because it takes up a fair chunk of space, but if you load up the .devx file and enable it in the boot manager you'll find it there, so the browser piece is at least solved that way.
Funkmaster

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:53    Post subject:  

I downloaded the mpdpyp 0.9.2 and it worked great running live from a USB-stick on a HP thin client (t5520, 128 mb) with the music on a local attached harddrive. So I then did a frugal install from the live desktop to a separate partition on the harddrive and installed the grub4dos bootloader and it works great, so now it is running headless with only the client and the attached ide harddrive. Smile
What I'm after now is some way to make mpd support playback of the part of my collection that is wma-files - sad reminders of past times spent in W**s.. It seems I should enable or install either ffmpeg och mplayer, but I don't find any understandable information on how to do that in puppy linux..?
Also, if I wanted to try to install pulseaudio to be able to stream audio playback from my laptop to the mpdpup box, would that be possible? Maybe the limited cpu power puts some constraints here..?
Thanks a lot for a great work so far!
ldolse

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2012, 23:33    Post subject:  

Glad to hear it's working for you with the frugal install option - been meaning to test and document that better.

Regarding wma files - ffmpeg is already installed and wma should theoretically work (note I don't have any to test). You can type "mpd --version" --no quotes-- at the CLI to confirm this yourself, it shows ffmpeg support is built in with wma in the supported filetypes list. It's possible you're having more issues with the metadata not showing up correctly to find the files, but many mpd clients will let you browse to the files themselves.

Regarding PulseAudio, that's not something I'm particularly inclined to include with mpdPup, just because it tends to break functionality that audiophiles want in lieu of ease of use. That said I should think it would be possible to do what you want using http/shoutcast streaming - can you describe in a bit more detail what you're trying to accomplish there?
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2012, 15:56    Post subject:  

Not having used any LInux for multimedia streaming, I'm going out on a limb to ask:
ShoutCast seems to be a subsystem for setting up an Internet broadcast tool such that a browser can connect and se/hear podcast/braoadcast/Live?stuff.

But, there are some Linux tools which present multimedia on the local LAN when some client (albeit Microsoft/Apple/Linux apps can "play" the offering s that are available from the media streamer.

Is this correct?

ldolse

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2012, 03:04    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Not having used any LInux for multimedia streaming, I'm going out on a limb to ask:
ShoutCast seems to be a subsystem for setting up an Internet broadcast tool such that a browser can connect and se/hear podcast/braoadcast/Live?stuff.

But, there are some Linux tools which present multimedia on the local LAN when some client (albeit Microsoft/Apple/Linux apps can "play" the offering s that are available from the media streamer.

Is this correct?

Correct - since Funkmaster was asking to stream from his laptop to his mpd machine I figured something along these lines should be doable - I'm pretty sure Winamp can generate Shoutcast streams as an example.

MPD itself can handle your second case - instead of playing out to a soundcard it can play to a stream.
Funkmaster

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 14:13    Post subject:  

Hi again.. well, yes, since there is no pulseaudio (which I btw don't have any experience in setting up, I just thought it shouldn't be too difficult) I instead started to fiddle around with generating a mp3/ogg stream of the sound output from my computer so that mpd could catch and play that stream. Definitely easier said than done, and I have only gotten it to work on an erratic basis using gstreamer and icecast.
So, what I still would like to do is to send the audio output from my laptop to the mpdpup box, irrespective of what program happens to be generating that audio on the laptop - exaile or spotify or youtube or whatever..

For the wma issue, mpd --version states that mpd supports wma playback through ffmpeg. BUT it still doesn't work, mpd doesn't find/list any wma files, and from what I can figure out this is since ffmpeg doesn't read tag information which is why mpd can't add the wma files to the library? Somebody in some forum reported that these 'missing' wma files would show up under some 'Untagged' category, but I can't find anything like that in the library.. I also stumbled upon some patch that somebody made for an old version of mpd to enable libraring (?! librarying) of wma's and that reportedly worked, but now google can't find it for me again, I am not competent in applying patches anyway.

Would be really nice if these things could be made to work, but I'm afraid I can't really solve it myself. The wma playback should, I imagine, not be a too difficult fix for somebody who knows how to do it, whereas I understand the point of excluding pulseaudio (or jack, or whatever good option there is for direct streaming of audio output) from the distro for space reasons.

All the best from Sweden, and again thanks for all the work!
Page 6 of 31 [464 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: