OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldolse

#436 Post by ldolse »

multiblitz wrote:I have a question....using the Alix board, I have issues like hickups when playing hires material. Any hints how to improve this ?
I actually get that as well, but apparently not everyone does. The fix for me has been to unplug and re-plug the USB Audio device after the system has finished booting. Somehow re-initializing it like this fixes it. I leave my system on all the time it's not a big deal to do this on the rare occasions I restart it.

I'd love to find a more permanent fix, but I don't have any idea what the issue is.
Last edited by ldolse on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

ldolse

#437 Post by ldolse »

clar2391 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I tried the instructions, both 32 and 64 bit with Puppy MPD, and I was able to boot, it brought me to a Grub menu prompt. I hit Tab to see the commands available, but I didn't know where to go from there.
Hi, let me give it a shot - if you got to a GRUB menu that's pretty promising. Not sure what you mean by 32 and 64 bit - there is only a 32 bit version of mpdPup.

clar2391

#438 Post by clar2391 »

Sorry, the EFI booter has a 32 and a 64 it file. I used the bootX64.efi and then the bootX32.efi, with the same results.

ldolse

#439 Post by ldolse »

clar2391 wrote:Sorry, the EFI booter has a 32 and a 64 it file. I used the bootX64.efi and then the bootX32.efi, with the same results.
I realized that once I downloaded the archive and tried it myself. I see now that the ISO needs to be modified to support Ubuntu's style of bootup. I think this can be accommodated relatively easily, but I need to do a bit more testing - will keep you posted.

multiblitz

#440 Post by multiblitz »

one question....how difficult would it be to have a choice between standard mpd and mopidy ? If i got it right mopidy does the same as mpd, but adds spotify...even mpad works with it....that would be extremely cool...highend for your own discs through mpdpup plus the flexibilty of spotify....my sonos system would be obsolete....

ldolse

#441 Post by ldolse »

multiblitz wrote:one question....how difficult would it be to have a choice between standard mpd and mopidy ? If i got it right mopidy does the same as mpd, but adds spotify...even mpad works with it....that would be extremely cool...highend for your own discs through mpdpup plus the flexibilty of spotify....my sonos system would be obsolete....
MPD 0.17.x supports Spotify now - I spent some time figuring out how to get all the dependencies taken care of, so the next release will ship with Spotify support.

Mopidy looks like it requires quite a few dependencies, so getting all those working would be a bit of work. I'm not sure if it offers any specific advantages working with Spotify vs. MPD's implementation. Seeing that it's based on Python it's definitely not as light weight as MPD.

Note that a spotify premium account is required for either project.

computeraudio

(issue solved) Is it possible too use an USB keyboard/mouse?

#442 Post by computeraudio »

Hi Idolse

Most modern motherboards don't have 2 separate PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard anymore.

My mobo only has only one PS/2 connector. So I can use a mouse OR a use keyboard.

Using a PS/2 splittercable doesn't work.
(I found many complaints on internet about Ps/2 splittercables that do not work on these purple/green combo sockets)

Connecting an USB logitec keyboard/mouse combo also doesn't work.

What now?

How can I configure mpdpup after first boot if mpdpup can't handle an USB keyboard/mouse combo?

Is it possible too make a connection after first boot through LAN too do a first configuration?

Mark

(edit: meanwhile I found out how too do it with just only a PS/2 keyboard connected. USB mouse/keyboard still would be nice though)

ldolse

Re: (issue solved) Is it possible too use an USB keyboard/mouse?

#443 Post by ldolse »

computeraudio wrote:Most modern motherboards don't have 2 separate PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard anymore.

How can I configure mpdpup after first boot if mpdpup can't handle an USB keyboard/mouse combo?

Is it possible too make a connection after first boot through LAN too do a first configuration?
Hi computeraudio, I'm not sure what the root cause of your problem was, or why you thought USB keyboards/mice aren't supported. I've always used USB mice and keyboards with no problem, haven't attempted using PS2. Glad you were able to make it work anyway. SSH configuration over the LAN will always work if there is some type of input hardware issue.

luisb

#444 Post by luisb »

Hi Idolse
Mpdpup introduced me to linux OS, so i am a totally newbie. I was able to set mpdpup in an Eeepc with my WaveIo USB interface with no issues. Sounds really nice. I am not using it as a server, just as a primary source. I know it was designed to work like a server. Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge to be able to include in music directory an external HD or SD card? My SSD in only 64 Gb. Maybe not possible with mpdup but i had to ask as i really love my setup. Any chance of getting better ncmpcpp graphic interface? Sorry about the newbie questions i understand mpdpup should be minimalist in space and resource consumption.
Regards

multiblitz

#445 Post by multiblitz »

[quote="ldolseMPD 0.17.x supports Spotify now - I spent some time figuring out how to get all the dependencies taken care of, so the next release will ship with Spotify support.
[/quote]

GREAT !!!! Do you have an estimated time of arrival ? :P :P :P

ldolse

#446 Post by ldolse »

multiblitz wrote: GREAT !!!! Do you have an estimated time of arrival ? :P :P :P
Every estimate I give has been wrong, so no :P There has been a lot of scope creep, and I've also been working on more newbie proofing based on the various issues raised by users new to Linux. It is steadily getting closer though - I've got everything working the way I want except for the upgraded LCD support, which I'll be sorting out next. The last item on my plate is to put in the ability to release simple patches without requiring a whole new release. Nothing else is going in at this point.

I'm on the road away from my reference systems for a couple weeks, so it definitely won't be released before then, as I try to final QA on a few different actual hardware platforms vs. VMWare where I do my development.

PET-240

#447 Post by PET-240 »

G'day Idolse,

Really appreciate the efforts you go through for this!

Cheers,

Drew.

ldolse

#448 Post by ldolse »

luisb wrote:Hi Idolse
Mpdpup introduced me to linux OS, so i am a totally newbie. I was able to set mpdpup in an Eeepc with my WaveIo USB interface with no issues. Sounds really nice. I am not using it as a server, just as a primary source. I know it was designed to work like a server. Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge to be able to include in music directory an external HD or SD card? My SSD in only 64 Gb. Maybe not possible with mpdup but i had to ask as i really love my setup. Any chance of getting better ncmpcpp graphic interface? Sorry about the newbie questions i understand mpdpup should be minimalist in space and resource consumption.
Regards
Hi luisb, glad you were able to get it working during your initial testing. Regarding your query, an external drive is supported, the storage wizard asks you to choose between local storage and network attached, just choose local storage. That said, it would be best to get mpdPup installed to your internal SSD before doing that to eliminate potential problems. You can use the Puppy Linux installers to do this - you need to install Grub to your SSD, and then use the Puppy Linux installer. You'll also need to create an MPD directory on your SSD drive - there is a post further back in this thread going into more detail on the process.

Regarding more graphical ncmpcpp, nothing I can do about that program specifically, but the next release will allow you to optionally install GMPC and launch XWindows automatically for users who prefer a proper GUI vs maximum resource reduction.

luisb

#449 Post by luisb »

Hi Idolse
Many thanks for your answer. I do understand the scope creep phenomenon and i had no intentions to be a part of it "Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge..........", i am a diyer so i don´t expect to have all the work done for me. Setting mpdpup and music files in the ssd drive was done since the very beginning, with your very easy to follow instructions and you endless patience. I was just asking if it was possible local expansion with external devices but should payed more atention on your remarks about the local storage limited support. Anyway, as music lover and audiophile, i thank you for the new horizons you gave me with this project.
Again, i thank you for your patience and fantastic work.
Regards
luis

ldolse

#450 Post by ldolse »

luisb wrote:I do understand the scope creep phenomenon and i had no intentions to be a part of it "Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge..........", i am a diyer so i don´t expect to have all the work done for me. Setting mpdpup and music files in the ssd drive was done since the very beginning, with your very easy to follow instructions and you endless patience. I was just asking if it was possible local expansion with external devices but should payed more atention on your remarks about the local storage limited support. Anyway, as music lover and audiophile, i thank you for the new horizons you gave me with this project.
No worries Luis, and you're welcome. The scope creep comment wasn't aimed toward you. A lot of that is my own doing, just to make the task of supporting things easier. Glad you were able to get the SSD install done from the start - that avoids most of the pitfalls of local storage and makes it pretty easy - only other gotcha is NTFS needs a file tweaked if your audio drive uses that fileystem. Details on that are also further back in the thread.

computeraudio

Re: (issue solved) Is it possible too use an USB keyboard/mouse?

#451 Post by computeraudio »

Hi Idolse,

Some feedback on USB keyboard/mouse not working after MPDPUP boots.

I used the Logitec cordless Desktop EX110 keyboard/mouse combination.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/k ... combos/154
It works when my Gigabyte mobo GA-HA65M-UD3H boots.
When I press DEL during boot up, I can edit the mobo BIOS with it.
But when booting into MPDPUP the Logitec cordless Desktop EX110 keyboard/mouse combination does not work any longer.

I use a Logitec K260 cordless keyboard/mouse combination on my desktop.
When I use this K260 cordless keyboard/mouse combination with MPDPUP everything works fine.

So it’s the Logitec Cordless Desktop EX110 keyboard/mouse combination that causes this trouble.
Although I only connect it with the USB connector too the USB socket (not using the PS/2 connector) it might have something too do with the split USB \PS/2 connection cable it uses.

Mark

ldolse

#452 Post by ldolse »

Hi computeraudio, Glad to hear you found the culprit and have it working well. I'll keep in mind this scenario next time I'm digging into how the keyboard drivers are handled, not sure if what you saw is a general Linux issue or related to the way mpdPup stores its' drivers.

Jean-Louis P

At last mpdpup working !

#453 Post by Jean-Louis P »

Hi Idolse

After a little break with Windows and Puppy Slacko to confirm my WaveIO and Laptop were working, and following carefully your trouble shooting instructions, I got my mpdpup up as well as remote with mPod. The CLI clients are really not user friendly, its the least one can say.

Just for the fun, last problem I stupidly encountered this morning was ... my DAC not powered :evil: . At a certain moment you get nervous to have all the Linux stuff working and are not careful enough !

Next steps :
- finish the PSU for my WaveIO USB SPDIF converter which works very well btw
- understand why my Laptop is so audibly noisy when recharging and if possible fix it.

Thanks very much for your help.
Jean-Louis

ldolse

#454 Post by ldolse »

Hi Jean-Luis, Glad to hear you got it working - rest assured I've taken your experiences to heart and will be doing my best to see that future users can avoid those particular pitfalls.

Regarding the CLI clients, if you stick with Linux you may find that they grow on you. I didn't use any CLI clients when I first started working on this project, and only included them for completeness and to recognize the work of other developers in the MPD community. I now find that my main go-to clients are the most minimal, albumbler and mpc. If I'm home and listening to music I will generally have an ssh session going to switch up music quickly.

If I just want a random album I just type 'albumbler' at the CLI. (I also have it tied to a hardware remote) If I want a specific selection I go with mpc. For example a single cli line can clear the playlist and queue up a new album:

Code: Select all

mpc clear && mpc search album albumname | mpc add && mpc play
It's not the shortest line in the world, but I often find it more convenient than going to an iOS device.

aljordan

Brutefir?

#455 Post by aljordan »

Hello,

I am trying to get a working version of Brutefir on MPDPup. I've compiled and installed libfftw, and installed the Jack package for puppy, but I get a compilation error during the Brutefir compilation in bfio_jack.c.

Has anyone successfully compiled or installed Brutefir on MPDPup?

Thanks,
Alan

By the way, MPDPup was the quickest Linux install, and quickest manner of configuring MPD I've ever been through. Thanks for the good work.