Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 31 [464 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
multiblitz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 03:30    Post subject:  

After all this bad luck I tried now to connect via Gnome from a Windows PC.

error code 13 or error code 12. No connection poosible.

So, I GUESS...I need to do something about the IP-Adress and / or the Router-setting. Any hints are highly welcome.

On The IP...I believe that it should got its IP from the DHCP-Server in the router...nevertheless I read that 127.0.0.1 is the default config ?
i2k

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 04:39    Post subject:  

multiblitz wrote:
After all this bad luck I tried now to connect via Gnome from a Windows PC.

error code 13 or error code 12. No connection poosible.

So, I GUESS...I need to do something about the IP-Adress and / or the Router-setting. Any hints are highly welcome.

On The IP...I believe that it should got its IP from the DHCP-Server in the router...nevertheless I read that 127.0.0.1 is the default config ?

It seems that your machine doesn't have IP address yet as 127.0.0.1 is normally a local loopback address.

Can you check the output of "ifconfig" command ? or try ping to your router ?
multiblitz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 06:01    Post subject:  

Ok...a little progress report:

- I configured a NAS and tried to connect to the NAS during setup. No success.

- I was near to give up, rebooted...clicked around and somehow saw a short window of Winx which offered general help.

Clicked on this, got a white Window with some topics like internet connection...clicked there and saw that the ip adress is still indeed 127.0.0.1

Clicked the setup wizard for ethernet, got ip adress from DHCP Server...

...and AFTER all of that started the MPD-Setup-Dialogue with all the nice windows which ask you to give ip-adress and user of the server.

This time: Success !!! It saw the directories, could connect to the WHS2011 Server.

Rest of the config worked smoothly.

Saved & Rebooted.

CLI comes up, says that i am logged in, but nothing more...nothing about MPD has started or anything.

PC has now a DHCP-Adress from the router. Checked that.

Tried to connect with Gnome. Nothing. Tunes, Tunes.Local nor actual Ip-adress worked.
ldolse

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 06:19    Post subject:  

Glad we're making progress, but that's really weird that DHCP didn't automatically work for you, first time I've seen that. Glad that was also the root cause for Windows 7 not working. Was the machine not plugged into the network during bootup?

By 'Gnome' I assume you mean GMPC - be careful how you use that word in the Linux world, there are a million applications named 'Gnome something or other'.

127.0.0.1 would make it connect to the same PC GMPC is running on - you want it to connect to the mpdPup machine.

tunes.local will only work if you've installed bonjour on your Windows system - it automatically installs with iTunes and some other Apple software (there is a link to it in the first post). Otherwise you need to use the IP address - you can get that by typing 'ifconfig' on mpdPup as i2k noted, it will be buried in the output so you'll need to dig a bit. It might be pretty easy to find from your router as well, depending on how many machines are on your network.

edit - I see you're saying the actual IP didn't work in gmpc - not sure what's going on with that, possibly the windows firewall?
i2k

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 06:50    Post subject:  

@multiblitz
So now you're sure that your mpd is properly conencted to LAN. I suspect that WHS share is not properly mounted to "/mnt/music" directory, so mpd failed to start as it cannot find the music directory.

First, check if mpd started and load it's library with your songs. Type "mpc listall", you should see the list of your songs.

Otherwise, check if the your WHS share folder properly mounted or not by typing "ls /mnt/music". If it's OK you should see the folders/files on that WHS share.

If the above is not OK, something is wrong with fstab file so your WHS share is not mounted properly, so you need to check the content of that particular file. Now download putty program and install it on your Windows machine. Use it to open SSH connection to your mpd server by using the mpd's IP address.

After entering the user name (root) and password, run this command "cat /etc/fstab"on the command prompt. Capture the output and post it here so we can help to troubleshoot.

good luck

@idolse : the DHCP problem as mentioned by multiblitz is happened to me once. I need to start the network wizard before it got the DHCP address. I done other installation with fresh USB / CF (don't remember which one) and never experience it again.
multiblitz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 07:19    Post subject:  

Guys, your support is highly appreciated, thanks a lot.

I feel really lost.

To answer your questions: The PC had its LAN-Connection during setup. Nothing has change.

I put the IP-Adress into GMPC manually. Nothing, eventhough I can see the PC with this Ip-Adress in the Router.

i2k:
Thanks for the hints. Tried that with no success:
- mpc listall: Connection Refused.
- ls /mnt/music: Nothing comes back
- Putty: Screen opens, no reaction on anything, after 5 -10 sec: Cennection terminated.
PET-240

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 07:47    Post subject:  

Just to confirm, you have a windows pc and a separate "pc" that has mpdpup installed or booting from USB? Both with separate LAN connections etc?
Apologies for the silly question but just following along and getting a touch confused.
For clarity can we call the windows machine the main pc and the Linux mpdpup machine something other than pc please? The WHS 2011 is self explanatory. And I have one. Not setup for music though. Mebbe I should try!
multiblitz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 09:19    Post subject:  

Yes, Sir this is exactly right.

A linux machine with mpdpup booting from usb, a whs2011 and a windows pc to avoid any softwareissues with mpad for the moment. Target is though to use the ipad
ldolse

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:47    Post subject:  

i2k's guess is right - mpd isn't starting because the WHS server share isn't being mounted - if it was you would show something under /mnt/music and mpd would be starting.

You need to figure out what's causing the mount to fail - you could tell us what you see on the last line if you type:
Code:
cat /etc/fstab

Also the results of this command:
Code:
mount -a

Odds are something there was defined incorrectly.

Either that or DHCP is failing for you every time, and if it's not joining the network then it definitely won't be able to mount the share. I'd set up a static IP when the setup wizard asks you whether you want to do that, it would at least eliminate that variable.

Edit - after re-reading your last post where you collected stats for i2k, I'm 90% sure that DHCP is failing every time for you. Wish I knew what the cause was, but the most reliable fix will be to set a static IP, which the setup wizard will allow you to do. If you're at the cli just type 'startx' and the GUI wizard will launch automatically with Xwindows.
multiblitz

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:50    Post subject:  

I am back at home and want to try to get it to work this weekend...so, started to enter the static Ip as suggested.

in MPDwizard"save and exit"

under winx, told him to reboot

After reboot: No connection, static IP-Adressed NOT saved...so, how do I get him to remember ?

After reboot:

mount - a: network not reachable

After I manually entered the ip-adress /(which will get loss after next reboot): no return.
ldolse

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 13:15    Post subject:  

The static IP address is saved in a text file. It's stored under /etc/network/interfaces/<mac address>.conf.

At this point all I can assume is you have a motherboard with very poor Linux support. What specific board are you using? Your first post mentioned the chipset and the CPU, but not the actual board...
multiblitz

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 15:54    Post subject:  

This is a Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Board...updated the bios...no success...

So, I finally took an old Via Board out of the shelf....no problems ! Even MPad works nicely. Wow.

Only thing: No music yet...I think there was something written about that it is by defoult muted ? Not sure what to do, need to search again...Input is intp xmos with BIII-DAC behind it....cant wait to listen to it and see how it perfroms against W7/jriver...
RayCtech

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 16:50    Post subject:
Subject description: NRPACKS

Removed - possibly OT
Last edited by RayCtech on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 00:44; edited 1 time in total
multiblitz

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 17:30    Post subject:  

Found the unmute Avise...Post nö 2...Shame on me....

everything Works like a Charme...

Sound...Just the first initial impression....very natural, but a bit less transparent than what i am used to....some air is missing...i guess i need to go immediately into the tweaker corner and start to work on the tweaks you guys mentioned.

Besides that, the sound is very natural, very organic....the opposite of technical...some would say analogue I guess...but for tht I need more air and more attack....so let get into tuning tomorrow....

I am using an old cmp via board with an old dual core and the sotm usb card...normal silent psu from silverstone, which will be removed tomorrow against a lt1084 plus miniitx psu...

which board works best with a modern i5 cpu ?
ldolse

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 04:55    Post subject:  

@RayCTech, good stuff - that seems to corroborate some of the work phofman was doing on one of the other boards - curious to hear how things go if you build the kernel to support larger numbers - still debating whether I should make that level of kernel tweaking a priority.

@multiblitz, glad the older board is working better. Not sure what to tell you in terms of board recommendations - if you read back through the thread a couple different boards are mentioned. The most popular board is the Alix, but that's an entirely different class of CPU vs. what you seem to be after.

Regarding tweaks, there are really only three that have been discussed that multiple users have gotten behind. Tweaking the buffer time and period time in mpd and changing the usb audio nrpacks setting. Add these two lines to the mpd.conf sound output configuration for buffer & period (at the end of the file)
Code:
        period_time        "8192"
        buffer_time        "131072"

You can change nrpacks by issuing the following commands:
Code:
modprobe -r snd-usb-audio
modprobe snd-usb-audio nrpacks=20

But to make that permanent you need to add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Code:
options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=20
Page 22 of 31 [464 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: