XFE (X File Explorer) - file manager for Lucid 525

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
capicoso

#31 Post by capicoso »

Hey, thanks for the answers.

@ Sylvander its a frugal install, i didn't read the benefits of 005, i'll check now. And i used that method you said.
Is it safe to remove the .pet? Will i have rox work as always?
If i can't make XFE the default, can i at least use the desktop drive icons but without poping up ROX-filer?

@ `f00

I didn't understand very well... doing that would work as i wanted?

thanks.

`f00

#32 Post by `f00 »

desktop driveicons are pretty much as they were originally set up to work with rox by BK (in other words, not for the faint-of-heart-nor-skill to change) but you can try if you're the adventurous type.

editing pmount is safer ;)

rox is basically good to go in the original sfs of your pup. "work as always" depends on what changes you've made, but it's fairly robust so.. (haha, I just remembered doing some things that fubar'd gtk a long time ago & that rendered rox and many other gtk-based apps temporarily useless but not xfe since xfe uses fltk)

the rox->openwith->xfe dodge I mentioned just in passing, there's a particular way to make it work properly as expected if I recall (why the :? emoticon, I've only done it rarely)

good luck and have fun
___addenda120518 (sleeping dogs smile)
a few this'n'that, fwiw:

lines for filetypes section of xferc to enable 2-4fs and sfs open(mount/unmount):
2fs=filemnt;2fs file system;2fs_32x32.png;2fs_16x16.png;;
3fs=filemnt;3fs file system;3fs_32x32.png;3fs_16x16.png;;
4fs=filemnt;4fs file system;4fs_32x32.png;4fs_16x16.png;;
sfs=filemnt;Squash file system;sfs_32x32.png;sfs_16x16.png;;
SFS-=filemnt;Squash file system;sfs_32x32.png;sfs_16x16.png;;

typical filetype entry etc:
png=gqview,gview,mtpaint;PNG Image;png_32x32.png;png_16x16.png;;
<ext>=<open>,<view>,<edit>;<a description>;<bigicon>;<smallicon>;;
note - full path(s) for open/view/edit may be used if desired

pmount I use (from q142) as a SAMPLE:
rename your original /usr/sbin/pmount to pmountOEM, then
rclick->Properties, Permissionstab and tick the execute flags to try this
Attachments
1932duo.png
blurb-pic for duo (no release since it's too darn big :roll: )
shows following icons and gives an idea of fltk 'theming'..
(75.72 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times
xtraicons-xfe.tar.gz
2-4fs, sfs and some tan folder icons for xfe
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
pmountSAMPLE.tar.gz
SAMPLE custom pmount
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
Last edited by `f00 on Fri 18 May 2012, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

capicoso

#33 Post by capicoso »

I just edited pmount and now it doesn't open rox everytime i click on mount... but i want to make use of the drive icons on the desktop, i'd like to make them behave like pmount, when i click on a drive icon, mount it but don't open rox nor xfe. But that seems hard... so i think i'll just leave it as always.

thanks

Sylvander

#34 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Is it safe to remove the .pet?"
Yes.

2. "Will i have rox work as always?"
Yes.

3. "If i can't make XFE the default"
At some time in the past...
I DID make Xfe the default...
And it worked OK...
But, when I didn't want it to open, it was such a HUGE window...
So I uninstalled it, so as to go back to ROX opening instead [its a nice/small window, and easy to close].

4. "can i at least use the desktop drive icons but without poping up ROX-filer?"
I've no idea how to do that.

don570

#35 Post by don570 »

can i at least use the desktop drive icons but without poping up ROX-filer?"

When the Rox desktop icon is clicked ------->
I think this can be done by changing the desktop file
in /usr/share/applications/

or else change the description of the desktop icon

Sylvander

#36 Post by Sylvander »

don570 wrote:When the Rox desktop icon is clicked ------->
I think this can be done by changing the desktop file
in /usr/share/applications/
What should that setting be changed to?
If I wanted NOTHING to auto-run when I clicked on an icon for a partition on the desktop/pinboard.

capicoso

#37 Post by capicoso »

Hey, i managed to make it work as i wanted. I don't know if it's allright or what, but i modified AppRun, which is in .pup_event, there are 4 lines about rox, changed 2 of them so when i click on the drives XFE opens, and the icons still refresh

kooliepup

#38 Post by kooliepup »

-now with *fs mounting-

I have been using XFE for years, and the thing I have always wished it had is partition mounting.
Recent versions have partition un-mounting, so it will probably happen some day.

Using 1.32.4, and still not there.

Some of the whizz coders here could surely help the developer out by implementing mounting, I reckon.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

backi

#39 Post by backi »

I have been using XFE for years, and the thing I have always wished it had is partition mounting.
Recent versions have partition un-mounting, so it will probably happen some day.

Using 1.32.4, and still not there.

Some of the whizz coders here could surely help the developer out by implementing mounting
So some years later ..........
I want to ask ......is there any Method how to mount /unmount Partitions with
XFE ?

Thanks in Advance !

wiak

#40 Post by wiak »

https://sourceforge.net/p/xfe/feature-r ... /?limit=25 says:
In Xfe 1.42, there is now the possibility to enter custom mount / unmount commands in the Preferences / Program dialog.
Also see:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175550594/

It appears you might need to add some entries to /etc/fstab unless things have changed:

http://www.leonardoborda.com/blog/how-t ... stab-file/

And, Ctrl-M according to:

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=docs

wiak

backi

#41 Post by backi »

Thanks wiak !

No luck with your links .

Too complicated ?.......too dumb ?.....too lazy ?

Did another trick ....configured Desktop Drive Icons to open with XFE when clicked .
Now the clicked Device/Partition will be opened in XFE .....and so this (clicked )
Partition is also shown as mounted in XFE.....can also be unmounted again with XFE .
Anyway ....Thanks :)

backi

#42 Post by backi »

Hi !
Regarding mounting Dives/Partitions with XFE ......maybe a few years later ....
or maybe it will be accomplished in my next Live .

Meanwhile :

"I didn't mean to take you up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to you one of these days ....I said, I didn't mean to take you up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to you one of these days
And if I don't meet you no more in this world...

.... I'lll meet you in the next one
.....don't be late......"

Voodoo Child :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBlqcbpmxY

belham2

#43 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Thanks wiak !

Did another trick ....configured Desktop Drive Icons to open with XFE when clicked .
Now the clicked Device/Partition will be opened in XFE .....and so this (clicked )
Partition is also shown as mounted in XFE.....can also be unmounted again with XFE .

Hi Backi,

Two questions:

1) How do we get rid of the annoying popup from XFE (about being 'root') every time we open XFE?

2) Can you explain to me exactly how I do your trick? This: Did another trick ....configured Desktop Drive Icons to open with XFE when clicked . Now the clicked Device/Partition will be opened in XFE .....and so this (clicked )Partition is also shown as mounted in XFE.....can also be unmounted again with XFE .

Do I have to go into /root.pup_event folder and somehow modify each 'AppRun' script for every partition? If so, how and what?? Also, what happens when you plug a new USB or whatever in??? Does XFE from then on automatically grab it & mount it?

Or are you modifying for each partition the right-click menu option? Again, if so, what is it? And what happens when you plug something new in?? Do we have to manually do the modification each time???

I like XFE, since it seems more stable than SpaceFM when copying things, but this not mounting my partitions inside its open window is driving me nuts, and the annoying popup that "it is root" isn't helping things 8)
Attachments
XFE-1.4.2-questions.png
(160.14 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Robert123

#44 Post by Robert123 »

belham2 wrote:
backi wrote:Thanks wiak !

Hi Backi,

Two questions:

1) How do we get rid of the annoying popup from XFE (about being 'root') every time we open XFE?

Preferences/Dialog tab.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

backi

#45 Post by backi »

Hi Belham !
It is quite easy .....
For stopping popup "you are running as Root" ....go uncheck at the bottom Preferences>Dialogs>Warn if running as root
To make XFE (instead your default File-manager which opens every time you click Desktop Drive Icon )
Mouse right-click on some of the Drive Icons >Settings .....put in
File manger xfe $dir

Regards !

belham2

#46 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi Belham !
It is quite easy .....
For stopping popup "you are running as Root" ....go uncheck at the bottom Preferences>Dialogs>Warn if running as root
To make XFE (instead your default File-manager which opens every time you click Desktop Drive Icon )
Mouse right-click on some of the Drive Icons >Settings .....put in
File manger xfe $dir

Regards !
Thank you on the popup annoyance....I had looked right over that when checking the dialog tab.

As far as this: Mouse right-click on some of the Drive Icons >Settings .....put in File manger xfe $dir ....

...I am still confused. Here's two pics of what happens when I right-click any desktop drive icon, where's "Settings"??:
Attachments
this-is-my-right-click.png
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
is-it-this-in-edit.png
(18.53 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

backi

#47 Post by backi »

Hi Belham !
I am on an Openbox/Jwm Deb Dog which i created with the mklive-script .It came with Desktop Drive Icons included ....but it is also possible to download them from Synaptic (if not included).Can be activated (if not on the Desktop by default by going to usr/local/bin clicking on desktop_drive_icons (symlink them also to Startup Folder) .
But what Distro you are using ?Looks you are running a Puppy .
What happens if you go to "Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager "?
Last edited by backi on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#48 Post by backi »

Hi Belham !
Seems does not work from Puppy Jwm this way .Tested in Tahrpup .
If you are in Deb Dog Openbox/Jwm and /or xfce .
Seems i found a solution .
Install with Synaptic desktop drive icons
Go to usr/local/bin
click desktop_drive_icons -----they will appear on Desktop ---and do as described above .(Symlink it to Startup Folder too).
But how to get rid of the other (unwanted?) Drive Icons ?
go in Menu>Settings>Desktop>Icons>Default icons>removable Devices ....uncheck Disk and Drives

belham2

#49 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi Belham !
Seems does not work from Puppy Jwm this way .Tested in Tahrpup .
If you are in Deb Dog Openbox/Jwm and /or xfce .
Seems i found a solution .
Install with Synaptic desktop drive icons
Go to usr/local/bin
click desktop_drive_icons -----they will appear on Desktop ---and do as described above .(Symlink it to Startup Folder too).
But how to get rid of the other (unwanted?) Drive Icons ?
go in Menu>Settings>Desktop>Icons>Default icons>removable Devices ....uncheck Disk and Drives
Hi Backi,

Hey, sorry, I had to step away and go do some things----it's Friday the 13th!! Seriously, I just now sat back down at my desk and am going to try your suggestions. Thank you for helping with this---and, yes, I was/am in a Puppy trying it. I'm in Peebee's great ZestyPup (have 3 versions going of it, regular, Radky, and XFCE). Basically, Fred's & Peebee's stuff is all I use now, except for trying to dabble in Barry's wizardry to see if I can figure out what he's doing. I'll post later if I get desktop drive icons opening with XFE to work. Thanks again....ya know, I think, since it's Friday the 13th, we should haunt Fred's thread & post him Freddie Krueger messages, lol! :lol: