Has the Mozilla Foundation lost its collective mind?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Has the Mozilla Foundation lost its collective mind?

#1 Post by Flash »

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/securi ... ag=nl.e036
Takeaway: After a long downward trend in quality for the Firefox browser, the Mozilla Foundation has decided to add insult to injury by eliminating the ability to at least stick with an older version until extensions are updated to the newest — and to do so after only three months of release status for version 4.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

tubeguy

Re: Has the Mozilla Foundation lost its collective mind?

#2 Post by tubeguy »

Flash wrote:http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/securi ... ag=nl.e036
Takeaway: After a long downward trend in quality for the Firefox browser, the Mozilla Foundation has decided to add insult to injury by eliminating the ability to at least stick with an older version until extensions are updated to the newest — and to do so after only three months of release status for version 4.
I does seem heavy-handed. But my experience T work (n Windows boxes) was hassle-free, just like a regular update, all the extensions worked. Seemed like it was just an update, not sure why they needed to do a version change.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Updating to FF 5.0 on my Windows 7 box caused 5 extensions to quit working........... luckily I run Puppy most of the time. :)

benali72

ANSWER: Yes, from the standpoint of corporate users

#4 Post by benali72 »

This is quite a blunder from the standpoint of anyone who supports FF in a corporate environment. You have to wonder if the FF project has anyone advising them from the corporate viewpoint.

No matter how good their rationale, they'll never sufficiently get the message out to corporate America for them to buy into this. Our company has already had a meeting on what we should do about it. Chome's lookin' better all the time.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Firefox (Mozilla) doesn't care about pleasing corporate customers. They care about us.

This has been fairly officially stated.

As for extensions, I didn't have a problem, suppose that's because I didn't upgrade.

~

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

I'm still running 3.6.18 because 5 wants to disable 4/5 plugins which I use regularly........

I'd sooner wait till they sort the plugins for 5
- 3.6.18 works OK, even if it IS a tad slower

Aitch :)

noryb009

#7 Post by noryb009 »

No matter how good their rationale, they'll never sufficiently get the message out to corporate America for them to buy into this. Our company has already had a meeting on what we should do about it. Chome's lookin' better all the time.
You do realize chrome updates at an even faster pace (new version every ~6 weeks)...

Really, it's just a different way of numbering things. I don't see what's wrong with it.

WindUpToy

Extension compatability

#8 Post by WindUpToy »

Install Add-on Compatibility Reporter [sic] and you can use all your old xtns.
It used to be Called (or part of) Nightly Tester Tools.