Moving Root to Spot makes Puppy secure?

For discussions about security.
Bruce B

#16 Post by Bruce B »

My Puppy configuration is root only. The only notable difference is Firefox runs as user spot. The Firefox operation is seamless and from the operator's perspective works identically to Firefox running as root.

I'm not overly concerned about security, but considering Firefox is the primary vector for any exploits, I figure since everything works the same, I might as well run it as a limited user.

~

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

BarryK wrote:Do you guys know about 'fido'?

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02240

All puppies built with recent Woof support fido, but I haven't done any further development on it since the initial work. It does need bug fixing. Wary 5.1.2 is an example that has it.
thanks Barry, yes I trust that most Puppy user are aware of it but we are also aware of that it needs a bit more work by the Devs so that noobs get what it means and some possible bugs gets looked into.

Much appreciated that you cared about us that asked for it but not everybody agree that Fido will satisfy the critics. It may satisfy puppy luvrs like Nooby and others but the "Real Linux" users are known to only get (or feel) satisfied with "real linux" which are multi users and where root is never allowed to be automatically logged into. That is the interpretation I have from some three years of daily reading of forums for Ubuntu and Linux Mint and some other such like LinuxQuestions and the DistroWatch comments at that. Sure I am a true nooby so I can have got the wrong impression of them. :)

I trust in you and all the other Puppy Devs but as you know the Linux users are a diverse lot so it is as it is with their takes on things.

Still Fido is for Puppy luvrs, I don't trust the general linux users with find it enough to satisfy them.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sszindian

Interesting Subject!

#18 Post by sszindian »

Just had to throw this in!!!!!

Just maybe if some (or a bunch of some's) devs would work out the fix many have been asking for for the last year or more...

'Save or No Save Option On Shutdown or Reboot'

We really wouldn't have to worry about any malware attaching to our save-file with the save-session feature once you get your puppy fixed up with the programs, files etc., you need, just don't save the session?

I know that the standard Linux 'shutdown' command isn't in our kernel ( -h shutdown now )
That simple one-liner would do it. Maybe the newer kernels being used will offer that or would it be a big deal to include it in a new kernel? I don't know, just asking?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

sszindian

Interesting Subject!

#19 Post by sszindian »

Bummer, double post!!!!!!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Some users have no HDD and don't have an usb in the slot either and boot up from CD or DVD and that way them have some control over such malware

another approach is to have no save file. But I guess as long as one have a hdd that can be mounted it does not help does it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though