gfontview (Font Viewer) [FILLED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
maik.murks

gfontview (Font Viewer) [FILLED]

#1 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all together.

Some weeks ago I was looking around for a fonts viewing utility which has the ability to show fonts that not installed into Puppy yet. A utility that is able to show me the font of a CD for example or the fonts lying around in a directory a the harddisk. And I‘m pretty sure that this would be a very usable tool. But unfortunately I didn‘t found anything like that anywhere here in the Puppy forums.

But three days ago, I‘ve found something that could match my needs in the deeps of the internet.
It‘s a font viewer named ‚gfontview‘.

Homepage..........................: http://gfontview.sourceforge.net/
Features list.......................: http://gfontview.sourceforge.net/features.html
Download / Requirements...: http://gfontview.sourceforge.net/download.html
Project page.......................: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gfontview/

Unfortunately my knowledge to compiling stuff and things like that is near to nothing. So, perhaps I can ask a favour.

Is there anybody here, who could be so kind and make a pet out of gfontview, that I can try to use gfontview in my puppies, please?

Don‘t know if this information is important for compiling, but the 2 puppies I‘ve running on my pc are an elder version of ClassicPup 214X and a LucidPuppy 520. And I like to give gfontview a try on both of them.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks
Last edited by maik.murks on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

vovchik

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear maik.murks,

Don't hold your breath. Like you, I also think there has to be a font viewer that can show uninstalled fonts. The only one I know of is kfontview, but it has huge KDE/qt3 dependencies. Apart from that, there is nothing I know of. Gfontview uses gtk1 and was last updated in 2000 or 2001, so it can hardly be used in modern Linuxes, which no longer come with gtk1 libs and other old dependencies as standard issue. It would be nice if somebody could redo gfontview for gtk2 and a newer version of freetype. Or write a new viewer from scratch, which may be easier. If I have the time and get motivated, I may even do that myself, since such a program is really needed.

With kind regards,
vovchik

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Amigo has a link, to an already compiled package, in this thread. As mentioned by vovchik, being gtk1-based, you would need to install:

glib12-1.2.10.pet (53k)
gtk+12-1.2.10.pet (522k)
gdk_pixbuf10-0.22.0.pet (121k)

Plus, from the libs.tar.gz package posted by Disciple, libt1.so.1.

maik.murks

#4 Post by maik.murks »

vovchik wrote:Dear maik.murks,

Don't hold your breath. Like you, I also think there has to be a font viewer that can show uninstalled fonts. The only one I know of is kfontview, but it has huge KDE/qt3 dependencies. Apart from that, there is nothing I know of. Gfontview uses gtk1 and was last updated in 2000 or 2001, so it can hardly be used in modern Linuxes, which no longer come with gtk1 libs and other old dependencies as standard issue. It would be nice if somebody could redo gfontview for gtk2 and a newer version of freetype. Or write a new viewer from scratch, which may be easier. If I have the time and get motivated, I may even do that myself, since such a program is really needed.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Hi vovchik.

Thank you very much for your informations :D

I hope you‘ll get some time to bring gfontview and gtk2 together, perhaps with help of some magic.

Meanwhile I‘ve made a wallpaper from your avatar as a small gift for you, for your pleasure and as a little motivation for taking some time for glueing gfontview and gtk2 together. And I hope you like the wallpaper a little bit.

Maik.Murks
Attachments
vovchik-22c-thumb.jpg
(114.97 KiB) Downloaded 1725 times

maik.murks

#5 Post by maik.murks »

muggins wrote:Amigo has a link, to an already compiled package, in this thread. As mentioned by vovchik, being gtk1-based, you would need to install:

glib12-1.2.10.pet (53k)
gtk+12-1.2.10.pet (522k)
gdk_pixbuf10-0.22.0.pet (121k)

Plus, from the libs.tar.gz package posted by Disciple, libt1.so.1.

Hi muggins.

Nice to see you again. Thank you very much for your informations :D

I hope that during the next weekend I‘ll have the time to take a closer look to the link and the pets you‘ve provided and give pfontview a try. And I hope it‘ll work.

Maik.Murks

vovchik

#6 Post by vovchik »

Dear maik.murks,

Thanks very much for the wallpaper. I like it. Now I'll really ahve to get onto the fontview project. I found a little python program that displays fonts - but only previously installed ones - but it sets up nice font style categories for browsing, which is a nice feature. The first thing I will do is coax gtk/gdk into showing an uninstalled font in a window. After that, everything else will be largely mechanics (gui design).

WIth kind regards,
vovchik

maik.murks

#7 Post by maik.murks »

vovchik wrote:Dear maik.murks,

Thanks very much for the wallpaper. I like it. Now I'll really ahve to get onto the fontview project. I found a little python program that displays fonts - but only previously installed ones - but it sets up nice font style categories for browsing, which is a nice feature. The first thing I will do is coax gtk/gdk into showing an uninstalled font in a window. After that, everything else will be largely mechanics (gui design).

WIth kind regards,
vovchik

Hi vovchik.

I‘m glad that you like it and I‘ll keep my fingers crossed :D

Maik.Murks

Geoffrey

#8 Post by Geoffrey »

If you don't mind using java there is Opcion Font Viewer v1.1.1, download Here

maik.murks

#9 Post by maik.murks »

Geoffrey wrote:If you don't mind using java there is Opcion Font Viewer v1.1.1, download Here

Hi Geoffrey.

Thanks for the Opcion tip. I‘ve tried it out and it works well. But since Java is such a big pack, I think that it does only makes sense to use Opcion if you have Java installed already for some other reason. On the other hand it‘s only one file, just start it and it works.

Maik.Murks

vovchik

Pfont version2 with previewer

#10 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

I am studying how one might display uninstalled fonts via gtk. It is possible using calls to libfreetype and cairo/pango, but the business is quite esoteric. I have done some experimenting and the results are hopeful - apart from the rather frequent segfaults as I plod along :). In the meantime, here is a revised pfont (originally by Zigbert) that makes use of a previewer that ships with the complete install/dev version of freetype. It is an ugly X-app, but it will show previews via pfont rather painlessly. The preview button toggles the display on and off (and the escape key quits the font previewer, too).

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
screen8.jpg
(45.63 KiB) Downloaded 1830 times
screen7.jpg
(19.95 KiB) Downloaded 1621 times
pfont2-0.2.pet
(34.09 KiB) Downloaded 544 times

maik.murks

Re: Pfont version2 with previewer

#11 Post by maik.murks »

vovchik wrote:Dear puppians,

I am studying how one might display uninstalled fonts via gtk. It is possible using calls to libfreetype and cairo/pango, but the business is quite esoteric. I have done some experimenting and the results are hopeful - apart from the rather frequent segfaults as I plod along :). In the meantime, here is a revised pfont (originally by Zigbert) that makes use of a previewer that ships with the complete install/dev version of freetype. It is an ugly X-app, but it will show previews via pfont rather painlessly. The preview button toggles the display on and off (and the escape key quits the font previewer, too).

With kind regards,
vovchik
Hi vovchik.

Great work and thank you for the pfont2-0.2. I‘ll download the pet and try it :D

If you have some time left, here are some hopefully useful informations about displaying/testing fonts with the point of view of using the fonts. Moreover, here are some tools dealing with fonts just for your information. Furthermore, I don‘t know if you know it already, but if you‘re looking for some fonts for testing or using, it may be a good idea perhaps to take a look here.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#12 Post by maik.murks »

Hmm...

it's only about 5 minutes ago...

there were 2 additional posting before my last one...

and now these two postings aren't there anymore...

strange...

very strange...

maik.murks

#13 Post by maik.murks »

Hi Admin.

Would you please be so kind and try to repair this thread again?

Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#14 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Since vovchik has made a tool called Pfont2 and has started a new corresponding thread within the desktop section, I mark this thread as FILLED according to the guidelines. You can find Pfont2 here.
Thanks to all of you who posted here for your effort.

Cheers

Maik.Murks