Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko 312.37 110807
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 30 [437 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 06:06    Post subject:  

zigbert wrote:
It seems that JWM troubles with semi-transparent pngs????

I do have to contact Joe about some other issues. I will add this to the list. Reminds me of the pixman issue we had a year or more ago. Pixman has been updated several times since then, Jwm not.

Cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 07:24    Post subject:  

Tried the universal installer . . . Confused

I don't use this much
but it got to the stage where it should have installed from the CD
to the sdc1 (usb flash drive)
instead it tried installing from sr0 to sr0 (the CD to the CD)
see enclosed pic

Anyone else install to USB flash successfully?

Puppy Linux
Tested on Idiot crustaceans
sdc.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   49.48 KB
 Viewed   1003 Time(s)

sdc.jpg

01micko

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 07:34    Post subject:  

Quote:
Anyone else install to USB flash successfully?

erm .. 'yes' as a matter of fact. Just trying one shortly with Barry's latest woof (from about an hour and a half ago).. still a bit hot! (ouch! Rolling Eyes .. note to self, differentiate between keyboard and cooking pot [lobster inserted Razz ])

BUT.. on a second look at your screeny there is something wrong.. the 2 slashes (//) together indicate a missing variable... the plot thickens...

EDIT: Fantastic news! it appears Barry has fixed USB booting Very Happy . That may or may not fix your bug Lobster but we'll get that sorted sooner or later.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 09:48    Post subject:  

Hi 01micko,

Your latest is super. My frugal installation booted perfectly and has worked flawlessly. Nvidia driver is great.

I tried a USB installation, however the Puppy Universal Installer cannot access /mnt/home/spup or maybe see the flash drive sdc1 although Pmount sees it. Also tried using a CD and received error "Sorry, Puppy is not on the CD."

Checked it out on a Dell System that has a wireless connection to test Frisbee. Could not find Frisbee, and I was unable to get an internet connection using the other tools. Frisbee has been successful getting and maintaining an internet connection on the Dell with Fatdog64 and Polarpup using a Belkin N300 Wireless USB Adapter. See Image-1.
EDIT: Tried again after creating a pupsave. SNS successfully connected to the internet. Then used PPM to install Frisbee and it works fine.

Consider using tazoc’s wcpufreq-0.7 application in lieu of the presently installed one. Necessary for those that have multiple core cpu. Image-2.

@Nvidia users--After installation of the new driver, /usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop file needs to be edited in order for it to show up properly in the menu. Categories needs to be changed to:
Code:
Categories=System;

Cheers,
Jim
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.24 KB
 Viewed   971 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   18.8 KB
 Viewed   911 Time(s)

image-2.jpg

Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 21:23; edited 1 time in total
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 13:59    Post subject:  

Frisbee is not installed but available at

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/micko01/stuff/puppy/spup/pet_packages-spup/
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 14:09    Post subject:  

jim3630 wrote:

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/micko01/stuff/puppy/spup/pet_packages-spup/
Is this Frisbee different of the one from Jemimah?
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Iguleder

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 14:18    Post subject:  

Wow, really nice work, Mick! Very Happy

I think I'll try to build another Slackware Puppy this weekend, since Woof seems to be very problematic with dpup at the moment, it's simply broken.

I also think it's time to start working on getting things like CUPS/SANE/X 100% working, so we can rush towards the fun part Laughing

I think I'll make font packages we can put in Slickpet (DejaVu, Liberation, Libertine, FreeFont, Luxi, Cantarell and Ubuntu - all these make stuff render identically to other distros), plus a "lite" LibreOffice SFS and many PETs for end-user applications, including Flash and Opera. Puppizard has build scripts for all those now, and the kernel building process is fully automated - this means we can concentrate on the desktop experience, finally Razz

And hey, good job Smile

EDIT: I forgot - I think it's time to have an E17 SFS for the mainstream Puppy release (and now there's a one-click way for building one Wink)

ICQ Number 
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 14:35    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
jim3630 wrote:

Is this Frisbee different of the one from Jemimah?

Beem 01micko mentioned in Jemimah's thread he built one for spup which is how I found it.
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 14:57    Post subject:  

[

Installed Frisbee spup pet and bamb connected.[/quote]

I'm glad Frisbee worked! Smile

For those in a similar situation...

1) Try the Dougal Network Wizard which works for me all the time when SNS fails.

2) if that fails install Frisbee from Slickpet

3) if they both fail try tempestuous' "How to connect to wifi from the command line" in the HOWTO forum[/quote]

o1micko sorry not clear about what I tried which did include Dougal Network Wizard.

Each of the tools could detect the broadcom wl driver, load it, but the script timed out each time leaving no connection. My post shows using the command line method as well.

There has been some posts related to this issue of installed recognized loaded drivers dropping out in the connection sequence but can't tell you why occurs in some installs and not others. I can tell you spending time to learn command line installation is not the end all solution.

Frisbee is a quick and painless solution which only requires installing and click on it to work. Some are fearful of using Frisbee because because at times other tools like connection wizard have been reported to conflict.

Connection wizard has failed showing the same occurrence as here on slako on my setup many times in the past with many pups. I would encourage you to include Frisbee and advise against using or simply remove the connection wizard if you find it conflicts.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 15:03    Post subject: Frisbee  

Thank you Jim.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 15:12    Post subject:  

Beem your welcome.

o1micko this relates to a wifi solution although technocrat oriented.

"After quite a bit of messing around, I managed to get auto DHCP from startup on this Dell Vostro 1000 with Broadcom 43xx card. The bcm43xx driver seems to work fine for me, whereas I could not get the windows driver bcmwl5.inf to work at all through ndiswrapper.
I think the DHCP problem is it trying to log-in the card immediately after turning it on, as someone else suggested. I therefore added this to rc.local and now I'm on the net as soon puppy starts and I click on Firefox. eth0wireless & eth0mode files can be deleted, which will stop the network card being booted twice at startup. Basically it's putting a delay in the initialisation of the card, but why it won't work if you put the same script into eth0wireless I'm unsure.

Code:
rmmod bcm43xx
modprobe bcm43xx
sleep 5s
ifconfig eth0 up
iwconfig eth0 essid xxxxxxxxxx
iwconfig eth0 channel x
iwconfig eth0 mode managed
iwconfig eth0 key open xxxxxxxxxx
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth0"

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469&start=15

A solution which favors newbies the non-tech oriented would promote puppy as easy userfriendly fun to use. othewise, it's puppy fun to use because it's easy to hack.
Béèm

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 15:56    Post subject: network connections  

Up to now I am lucky then.
The connection is made after booting.
Up to know after some 5-6 hours of operation, no disconnect.
Still using the SNS from spup.
But I'll keep the spup frisbee in mind.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
rodin.s

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 16:13    Post subject: sound doesn't work  

Sound doesn't work in Slacko 310.37. I have i810 sound card. Alsawizard does not help. In all other Puppies sound is detected automatically.
Béèm

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 18:09    Post subject: Re: sound doesn't work  

rodin.s wrote:
Sound doesn't work in Slacko 310.37. I have i810 sound card. Alsawizard does not help. In all other Puppies sound is detected automatically.
I had an issue to have no sound either.
All I had to do was enable the master sound channel in the retrovol full window.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
James C

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011, 18:11    Post subject: Re: sound doesn't work  

rodin.s wrote:

No sound problem on my box with Intel 810 audio........ just had to open the full window in Retrovol and unmute,as described in the first post.

I've tested 310.37 on 4 boxes, had to unmute the sound on the three oldest ......sound worked on boot on the newest quad-core.
Page 4 of 30 [437 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: