Slacko 312.37 110807

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#406 Post by James C »

Lobster wrote: What do you get when running or trying to from command line?
We were posting at the same time,see my screenie. :)

Brown Mouse

Re: Chromium 15

#407 Post by Brown Mouse »

sszindian wrote:playdayz wrote:

Chromium 15.0.855 for testing The Very Latest - Today's Build.
------------------------------------------------------
It should be a fantastic browser for Spup however... there is one slight problem... 'It Doesn't Work' in slacko-312.37 - Nor does any other Chromium or Iron version browser!!!!!

I have mentioned this many times throughout the Spup versions!!!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Seems to work just fine for me though I've not tested it thoroughly yet.

cowboy

brookdale 312.37

#408 Post by cowboy »

Initial results from using Slacko 3.12.37 on my 82845G Brookdale chip seem promising. Clean initial boot, went through xorgwizard probe, and got a desktop. Detected my wireless logitech mouse without issue. Had sound on first boot, and has been persistent on five reboots.

Created savefile on harddrive, and boot through Live CD. After five reboots, have had no issues with the screen. JWM seems steady at the moment, no jumping, or "matrix" like behaviors to report. Have not tried other desktop managers yet.

While Rox runs, nothing happens when I click on Thunar in the menu, not sure if this has been discussed. Installed firefox 3.6.15 direct from Mozilla, and upgraded without issue. Flashplayer installed itself. Will continue to use and test. Report-video results below:

IDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 312.37

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1024x768" Depth: Depth 24

see 01micko, I can survive without ICEwm :wink: looks like your recent efforts with JWM may be paying off. Thank you.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

cowboy

manager rundown

#409 Post by cowboy »

01micko wrote:...Joe is pretty much neglecting jwm these days.. then you look at the alternatives.. openbox is not updated in more than 2 years, nor fbpanel, tint2 is active, icewm is very quiet for over a year. The rest of the light wms are either too geeky or too difficult. I prefer Jwm. At least if the pixman issue gets resolved it will look ok.. and come to think of it, that may be the issue with the brookdales.. cowboy?.. he keeps mooing about icewm! :lol:
01micko,

Thank you for the thoughts and your rundown on the various managers. Those echo my own research on the topic - many of the lightweight projects seem to be abandoned or very quiet these days. A little worrisome?
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

sszindian

Chromium 15

#410 Post by sszindian »

Lobster - jamesC

When I run Chromium from the command line, I get the same 'Illegal Instruction' that jamesC previously posted. I too am running a PIII and would think that's the problem BUT... on Luci, Dpups I have no problem with Iron or Chromium so it isn't the computer (jamesC is right)... it's something in this build.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#411 Post by 01micko »

Hi indian

I think the devs for chromium moved to i686 for multimedia capabilities. While PIII is supposed to be i686 they don't always work with i686 proggies. Bit of a bummer. Perhaps a mageia/mandrake build would work for you. They have many talented devs and usually compile i586. We may be able to track a build down.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#412 Post by James C »

sszindian wrote:Lobster - jamesC

When I run Chromium from the command line, I get the same 'Illegal Instruction' that jamesC previously posted. I too am running a PIII and would think that's the problem BUT... on Luci, Dpups I have no problem with Iron or Chromium so it isn't the computer (jamesC is right)... it's something in this build.

>>>---Indian------>
For full disclosure, I made my old Chrome pet for Lucid........had a number of missing libs in Slacko but one they were installed it works fine.

James C

#413 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:Hi indian

I think the devs for chromium moved to i686 for multimedia capabilities. While PIII is supposed to be i686 they don't always work with i686 proggies. Bit of a bummer. Perhaps a mageia/mandrake build would work for you. They have many talented devs and usually compile i586. We may be able to track a build down.

Cheers
Guess my trusty Athlon XP is old now too...... :lol:

nooby

#414 Post by nooby »

I was lucky using the Chromium pet. Just worked. Even Flash.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sszindian

Chromium 15

#415 Post by sszindian »

01mick0:

Thanks for the offer to find a build but I have a build I am happy with!

My concern is not for myself but with the new 530 puppy and those that will be trying to use it. I can for-see a new user trying out 530 and trying to install their favorite browser CHROMIUM or CHROME or IRON and become dissapointed with Puppy real fast. Most who will be coming over to 530 from other distro's or Windows probably won't be Seamonkey users even though it is a 'pretty fair' browser.

I can't understand why this can't be fixed to run on all computers, not just a certain few?

>>>---Indian------>

Jim1911

#416 Post by Jim1911 »

I finally got around to installing my printer, however I get an error, so it can't be installed. Otherwise this distribution has been working fine and until I found the printer problem, it was my preferred OS.

Jim
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(28.18 KiB) Downloaded 936 times

rcrsn51

#417 Post by rcrsn51 »

The 500 Server Error in CUPS is usually the result of installing some third-party PET or SFS package that corrupts the Puppy file system.

01micko

#418 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:The 500 Server Error in CUPS is usually the result of installing some third-party PET or SFS package that corrupts the Puppy file system.
More often than not it's a deb, and I have seen it with sfs. There is a fix.. I'll find the post as I can't recall off the top of my head.

EDIT: this page has some discussion of foobarred permissions and how to fix them.

sszindian

Chromium 15

#419 Post by sszindian »

Brown Mouse wrote:
Seems to work just fine for me though I've not tested it thoroughly yet.

nooby wrote:
I was lucky using the Chromium pet. Just worked. Even Flash.

Brown Mouse has Chromium working! nooby has Chromium working and NO nooby I don't believe you were just 'lucky', there HAS TO BE A REASON it works for you and Brown Mouse and I don't believe it has anything to do with your computers... What I believe (and I may be wrong here) is that you BOTH have a certain .lib installed maybe for some other program or function that is allowing Chromium to work for you.

I did a Chromium-15 download in Wary-5.1.3 and... IT DID NOT WORK there either so I did a command line on Chromium and it said it was trying to locate file libgcrypt.so.11

Would you both be kind enough to see if you each have that particular lib file installed or any libgcrypt.x files?

Appreciate it!

>>>---Indian------>

jim3630

#420 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:Chromium 15.0.855 for testing The Very Latest - Today's Build.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .0.855.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .0.855.pet
installed on my dual core hp64. is lighting fast and seems to ok without issue.

DaveS

#421 Post by DaveS »

I have not tested Chrome on Slacko having given up on the whole nasty mess (Chrome that is) a couple of weeks back but in Spup1 I used to have to add these libs. The small image is of libs that Mozilla adds, so should be looked for within the /usr/lib/seamonkey directories.
Attachments
chromelibs2.png
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times
chromelibs.png
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 1574 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#422 Post by James C »

I was bored so........removed JWM and added LXDE and PCmanfm.Got rid of that Thunar menu entry too. :lol:
Think that means I'm bored. :)
Attachments
lxde-pcmanfm.png
(76.93 KiB) Downloaded 1841 times

wuwei

pppoe problem in slacko

#423 Post by wuwei »

On page 26 of this thread rcrsn51 wrote:
This odd behaviour once showed up in an early Quirky or Wary. BK fixed it, but I don't know how.
Well, Barry's comment on his blog is this:
wuwei,
I just looked at that thread, I don't recall ever solving it -- perhaps I did, I just don't remember.
Alright? So I guess all hopes rest on you then, 01micko! :D

01micko

#424 Post by 01micko »

wuwei

The version I am putting up tonight is a full rebuild from the ground up with the new woof infrastructure. I'm hoping by some magic the bug disappears [ :roll: ]. Not exactly scientific, I have no clue. I searched all the pppoe scripts, nothing near a mention of "pdf".
I was mistaken in my earlier response, I only recompiled epdfview. The quirky version didn't run. I will redownload pppoe.. maybe something corrupt crept in.

wuwei

#425 Post by wuwei »

Thanks 01micko,

looking forward to it and.........keeping the faith :D