Slacko 312.37 110807

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Brown Mouse

#271 Post by Brown Mouse »

DaveS wrote:
01micko wrote:Brown Mouse

I really, really, really hate flashplayer! Bring on webm I say! (oh, but that is much better and doesn't make money :roll: )

It is a documented bug and will occur on certain nvidia HW with the proprietary driver and since flashplayer 10.2. I can reproduce it in lupu. It's not a specific spup bug. I wish I could fix it. Best I can do is compile nvidia-280 and hope for the best. You'll have to wait until the weekend though, I'm busy at work til Friday.

I'm hoping the gurus who make flashblock can update for sm-2.2 as it didn't work for me, but that was a couple of weeks ago, maybe it's updated? Many firefox plugins should be compatible with seamonkey, oh yes, I know the bug affects all browsers.
I have flashblock 1.3.18 working fine with SM 2.2
01micko wrote:Thanks Dave

Working :)

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation2.html#current

Best I can do for now Brown Mouse
Even better.No more adverts to suffer at all :D

Many thanks guys

nooby

#272 Post by nooby »

Tested to boot and checked out using SeaMoneky but not any other things.

As usual with Dpup and Squeeze and Spup them all of them always give 1024 x 600 instead of wanted 1024 x 768. Apart from that it worked good
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

peebee

#273 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:peebee

Was it you who said all the numbers for touchpad (synaptics) had to be increased by factor of 10? And was that in xorg.conf? If so could you post your xorg.conf?

Cheers
Hi Mick

Don't think so - I think I may have commented that the spup FlSynclient seemed to require setting 10 times other versions....

My xorg.conf (with extra .gz) is attached in case it helps...

My current settings are min speed 3.5 max speed 6.5

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
xorg.conf.gz
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DaveS

#274 Post by DaveS »

Woah.. those are SOME numbers.. way outside anything that can be set by the Flsynclient GUI. Edited config file /root/.flsynclient to reflect numbers in this range and now have a nice touchpad again.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#275 Post by DaveS »

Pretty much every Puppy I ever installed starts up with these volume defaults. As you can see, the speaker and system beep are off. Figure I just have to live with it :)
Attachments
volume.png
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#276 Post by zigbert »

Hello guys

I am still on the road, but this hotel has free internet connection, so I have scanned forum news. I see that you got some issues with Pmusic 2....

.... The good part is that my holiday pc is an eee without intenet nor cd. I have started with a fresh install, and solved many bugs releated to these situations.

I have done a lot of work (coding is also holiday for me), so next release will hopefully be more stable. At least the heavy stuff for Pmusic 2 is done, and bugfixing can begin..... There will be a feature freeze in the core modules, but if thunor comes up with more gtkdialog fun, I will update the gui-modules. This is not as critical as core-developing when it comes to bug-creation. This also means that the new standard for grapical theming is not freezed even if we reach beta stage.

See you in a couple of days.
Sigmund

Jim1911

#277 Post by Jim1911 »

I just discovered that your fun section in spup ppm doesn't contain the spup version of gnome games lite which is working fine on all of your spups. Please add it to ppm or slickpet since it includes a lot of popular games such as aisleriot solitaire, blackjack, etc. If you've misplaced it, I'll be happy to upload it to you.

Thanks,
Jim

zigbert

#278 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Are you aware of ffmpeg-0.8.1. We have both seen strange length detection of some songs. This is controlled by ffmpeg, and I have not seen this earlier. Hopefully a bugfix release will fix this....

Sigmund

MinHundHettePerro

#279 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Sad to report for 312.37: still BSOD:ing on first re-start of X after choosing all the first-start what-nots ..............

/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

str4y

#280 Post by str4y »

Hi all,
Great to see progress in the Slack space. Ever falling behind on my expansive to-do lists, I figured this was a good occasion to get around to posting my notes taken upon playing around with 311.37! No really, you might want to read them because most of the issues are in fact things about recent officially-released Puppies overall, about which I couldn't help but rant whilst noting a couple bugs found in this .iso.. I do want to apologize for the write-up remaining in pretty much the note-taking type of rambling style-- but I did go through and try to make it at least understandable and cut out some useless babble.
  • Very 1st thing: COOL, this dog boots faster than any other current one! (I copied puppy_spup_311.37.sfs from the cd to /mnt/home before booting for the 1st time.. HUGE savings of time given the speed my laptop reads cd's.. avoiding the reading of that 1st=during initial boot and 2nd=at close of 1st session, when it asks you to copy it from cd to hd (argh).)

hitting ctl+alt+P (what I always set as personal shortcut for a Prompt) gives me... hmm, yes, looks like the clipboard mgr settings! (what mgr is this, it doesnt say! but look, the defaults are dumb as usual and need changing: max the # saved, max the length per entry, tick Use Primary box as I'm used to it getting everything. Actions tab looks interesting-- what's an example of a useful entry here?)
    .. though I noticed one time that ctl+alt+T was set as shortcut for a Terminal. hmm, should I try to re-train my brain??
    Just as important-- being used to archiving the clipboard file that Glipper saved in ~/.glipper, need to find equivalent if I'm to stick with parcellite.
    poking around /tmp for where parcellite might be putting this.. oh gee, here's a 57.3k file, index_webmusic which is full of entries for BigBrother aka youtube.. ("satan my master"?? Yipe, seems likely my theocratic Govt which taps all net traffic probably saw that in this .iso I dl'd and the database now dials me in as anti-Christ... maybe take a little more time cleaning up before you put stuff out for distribution. (btw I like Black Sabbath-- Dio or Ozzy please-- but stupid youtube is about the exact opposite of what I collect.. lossless full concerts!))
    I presume that's droppings from Pmusic, though I can't be sure since I don't use it.. for reasons I'll detail some other time (a big one of which being messy use of in-savefile "disk" space like the /tmp dir..)

This prompts me to have a look-see at the mediaplayer situation.. bah, the gnome-mplayer ELF persists, the one that goes off on the net for .cddb artwork without asking, doesnt get it right necessarily, and I presume the RIAA is amassing a huge database of that and it torques me off. Thinking how I hadn't yet done it, tried "strings `which gnome-mplayer`" in search of what site it was travelling off to to get cover art, but it must be stored in hex/binary as no address is obvious in text-- did see "--disable_cover_art_fetch" though which is a CLI option, so I guess I could stick that into the /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer little script.. should be default though, IMO, or at the very least noticeable and modifyable in the GUI.
    I guess I still miss gxine, which had a somewhat workable bookmarking facility.. though basically every "mediamark", as it calls them, is now defunct. Which brings me to PupRadio/PupTelly.. which I'm glad to see still included as it contains my only contribs as yet to Puppy.. some cool media presets! Sad to report, though, that most of all these have quit working as well (server operators changing urls due to the teeming masses of Puppy lovers firing up Pupradio/telly instead of going through www homepages, perhaps?).. anyway this is the status report:
    PupTelly: none of these 8 presets work anymore. (At least when I tried. Sad, too, as I wanted to peek at live shuttle footage one last time.)
    PupRadio: half dead, the 4 still working being the ones I submitted: Old Time Radio, Chinese Classical, VPR Classical, and VPR BBC re-feed. (The bbc one being handy as it's slow enough for dial-up users, and the Beeb in its foolishness seems to have dropped all its vanilla realaudio and wma streams (was there ever mp3?) in favour of fascistic and CPU-sizzling Adobe Flash!
    (I'd be glad to suggest a fresh pack of working links.. let me know when a milestone (distrowatch fodder?) release is scheduled, and I can try to work on deadline.)
    [update: someone mentioned that one of the Aussie streams was still working for them? Not here, so maybe they got tired of trying to stream across the Pacific and limited it to .au IP's.. will have try a local proxy..)]

After reboot & creating savefile (btw the windy msg about fido implementation was interesting.. though I've been just manually doing necessary tweaks to run most internet apps as spot.. firefox, transmission, & tor... anyone else worked out the streamlining of such a process?).. went the the Internet section of the Menu.. no browser of any kind? (I'd be partial to links2 for something bare-bones.) Or even that browser-downloader thingy? Oh well, been meaning to try the firefox5.sfs I have sitting ready to load anyway. And oh crap, gotta go rename the Xorg.sfs yet again so it gets seen by the Bootmanager Config.. so now it's named
    Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid_511_520_522_525.sfs .. wtf number does this OS want added?? And once I figure that out, I have to go back and change the Config on every other puplet I run to see it again, since symlinking is no-go. This is definitely a major, time-wasting pet peeve of mine. (And since this isn't anything to do with Lucid anymore, is this gonna work right??)
    Okay, tried adding _311, didnt see it. Tried adding -slack, didnt see it. Deleted ALL the 5xx's in the filename, now it sees it. (Gotta remember to go through reconfig, extra re-boot of every other puppy I run, now. Annoying about this, is that it'll boot without the .sfs it didn't find (notifying with "setting up new layered fs, next boot will be faster!") but it won't ever tell me it looked for something that disappeared. I'll just come across the new reality when I try to utilize glx/GL/Mesa whatever-it's-called!) Newcomers are surely being confused by this.

Reboot done, so now I have glx but:
    # glxgears
    glxgears: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(Had tried the menu's Video Upgrade Wizard, but I havent net access right now. (Which I think Puppy should be designed to accomodate-- wouldn't be that hard.) I do have some massive (80M if I remember) file from ATI.. "ati-driver-installer-11-2-x86.x86_64.run" to be exact. Would be nice if packrats like me who have this stored away could make use of it (it's pretty recent, no need to go dl from the web again surely. I mean, how often do they upgrade sw for my 2004 hw?))

Ok, just noticed that SFS-on-the-fly has made it onto the Menu.. is Shinobar's really better than others? I recall having had less problems with SFS-linker.. of course this is a whole topic unto itself (as with many of these things-- apologies for my fast typing and rambling style!)

Seeing the pretty new pink/purple audio icon in the tray, rightclicking for Full Window shows what looks like a new version of Retrovol .. all the boxes unticked except Capture which has the level also at 0? Guess I need to set up my soundcard? Wait, I'll try clicking a .mp3 in rox.. oh no, cruddy Pmusic.. no sound.. back to the mixer-- ticking some boxes, sliding levels up.. ah, there's the sound. Can't move around time positions in this goofy player though.. time to go edit defaultaudioplayer..

Saw thunar in the menu, clicked.. doesnt run! Typing thunar into CLI: command not found.

peeve: as with most Pups except the plain Lucids, my "lt" script (better an alias?) is useless due to screen-clearing upon exit! (lt is my most frequent use of ls in the CLI: <code>ls -agt "$@" |less -I </code> [todo: recordmydesktop to illustrate. And, would that "less" didn't destroy -color coming out of ls!]

Trusty icewm-1.3.7pre2-L519-lucid.pet (is that the latest??) at first appears to be a no-go, as the Menu no longer has the Window Manager Chooser thang. But Shutdown>ExitToPrompt then "xwin icewm" gets it done. IMHO, this should be a built-in option.. I find it unthinkable to navigate menus with a stupid mouse. And window manipulation.. Alt+spc, X is sooo fast compared to pointing at little corners of windows and such.. man oh man. The Windows key to pull up the main menu? Windows-D instantly showing the desktop? We're talkin lots of time saved, folks-- 10-finger touch-typing is a must!
    [todo: recmydesktop demonstrating quick closure of windows with icewm via tray rightclick+c]
    [update: was checkin out distrowatch, and read about the latest Scientific Linux which has always interested me, and my preference is validated here: THEY USE ICEwM! Hooray.]

Now for my first ever run of Firefox 5! Wow, going into prefs to do the usual changing of defaults to saner settings, I see they adopted my practice of Keep Cookies Only Until Closing Firefox! And I've been redirecting .macromedia to /dev/null for quite some time.. but nice to see the "tell them I dont want to be tracked" hitting the mainstream! Nice to see that Flash is NOT included in this .sfs too.. that should be a nastiness one takes upon oneself, IMO.. no extensions at all though, hmm.. I surely always put a few essentials on (mostly highly-trusted things as found at https://torproject.org).. what the hell is Tabs On Top, under View? I'm always bummed that it insists on showing big honking tabs that take up so much vertical realestate-- theres extensions to Hide Tab Bar but some have been clunky. It lets you select to hide it when only 1 tab is open, but that falls just short as to giving me control! Ok now I guess I'm nitpicking somewhat. Here's a biggie: report on how much Firefox hogs upon first run.. my freespace in savefile went from 95M to 75M, just like that. Phew, thinking about moving to /mnt/home and symlinking back.. which can become a pain, but overflowing one's savefile gets disastrous-- I've done it a million times.

Wow, someone put in /usr/bin/eject !!! A script I've been copying from one release to the next, but takes way less space than this binary: "wodim --eject" .. how's that for a programming accomplishment?! Now looking at eject --help ... wow, spiffy.

.7z and .rar wrappers would be nice. I take it these are .iso size considerations?

Seamonkey isn't in the Internet menu (was it there in Openbox? I thought I looked.).. I had forgot it's there, though I did read that about this .iso. Quel suprise, when clicking a .html in rox that it came up-- and fast!
    Again, I'd have a set of recommendations as to the preferences settings that should ship (OotB).. just off-hand, noticing all this Google all over the drop-down menus, how about setting default search engine to Creative Commons? (So opensource-minded.) Or use the manage Engines function and put something like https://duckduckgo.com or ixquick.com..

I just now figured out what the point is at which a .deb gets copied to /root .. the moment you click on it, before you even answer the "do you want to install" dialog. Have I yet mentioned that sticking stuff into the Personal save-file without warnings or notification is a pet peeve of mine?

Using the built-in go-get-Mesa dialog boxes, File Not Found at ibiblio. Finally found the relevant directory at cs.utah.edu, then downloaded the .txz which installed nicely. I only ever want to dl the .txz/.pet whatever, then run it from rox. Give me a link to a directory for my browser to bookmark, then I can keep a copy and keep sane trying to remember what all I've installed over time!

More recently (today) I was poking around and came across a site compatDB.org, which had some interesting reviews- 1 of which landed me on TechDriveIn.com that prompted me to read about Linus Torvalds' priceless trashing of Gnome 3 http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/linu ... ome-3.html .. I also learnt of QMMP ... which supports all the many plugins that were developed for XMMS. I would *really* like to see gnome-mplayer replaced with something like this, as I have numerous fundamental problems with it-- no time to get into it now, alas, as I'd like to be thorough and am ever pressed for time!
The Gnome3 issue reminds me, though, that I saw how the version of Linux listed in a table for a new "cauldron" version of a distro -- Mageia was it?-- is sporting LINUX KERNEL V.3.0alpaSomething .. any Puppians striving to dish out the 1st such alpha Puppy?

Thanks again for all your valiant, ongoing dev efforts.

pemasu

#281 Post by pemasu »

Qmmp depends on Qt and gstreamer libs. I compiled and included Qmmp in Polarpup 003.
To have Qmmp in base distro, means big base distro because it needs those Qt libs and also Gstreamer libs framework.

I would say it is mostly an addon if somebody wants to double his distro size for Qmmp.

DaveS

#282 Post by DaveS »

I always add the acpid pet so that I can shut down just by pressing the off button. In this pup, that does not work, though the script does shut down if I click on it directly, so somehow there is a disconnect between the action of the off button and the script.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#283 Post by DaveS »

Moving an icon on the desktop causes screen to flash.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bignono1

#284 Post by bignono1 »

Huawei usb modem not working and video support for intel is shaky , the 311 verssion is fine tho.
Tested on a Toshiba 450mhz and 192mb ram lap top .

peebee

#285 Post by peebee »

DaveS wrote:Woah.. those are SOME numbers.. way outside anything that can be set by the Flsynclient GUI. Edited config file /root/.flsynclient to reflect numbers in this range and now have a nice touchpad again.
Here's the FlSynclient GUI on my laptop..........

this is how I set the values....

cheers
peebee
Attachments
screen.png
(69.25 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

crshbndct

#286 Post by crshbndct »

i am considering trying this out.. are all the same (specifically radeon) drivers available for this?
in the time it took me to boot windows, edit this signature, save it, and shutdown, an identical spec pc was able to boot puppy, start songbird, and reboot 3 times.

lol

charlie6

#287 Post by charlie6 »

Hi 01micko,
Let's cross the fingers... 'm writing this post on my 82845G's featured clunker ... all seems OK ... running Xorg with i915 driver

Considering the link given in my post see page16 this thread, I got some trials editing Xorg settings files.

1) Got a Boot up from live-cd puppy pfix=ram pkeys=be-latin1, so the desktop is already configured for my french-belgian keyboard.
When booted did Alt-F4 to avoid editing the personnalize settings and avoid mouse pointer passing on the "...getting informations" box.
2) have edited and added 2 files:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/disable-composite

Code: Select all

Section "Extensions"
  Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/i845G.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier 	"Card0"
    Driver 	"intel"
    Option 	"Shadow" "True"
    Option 	"DRI"  "False"
    BoardName 	"Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)"
    BusID 	"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
In the meanwhile, jwm has broken (just the desktop and empty pop-up menus displayed); rox file manager is still working though.
Then Exit to prompt and typed xwin to restart X (clicked on the corresponding emptied menu entries locations to get /Menu/Shutdown/Exit to prompt) ... Then Bingo ! got a desktop + woof!woof! ...keeping clean ... could even restart X server without dropping to black screen ..!

Now will try to save the session and reboot
Fingers crossed
Cheers, Charlie

EDITED: reboot OK on the spupsave file ...
warning:
This is cut and try ... so I could not give any warranty ... It would be nice someone checking all of the above stuff.
Attachments
i845G.conf.tar.gz
(do not uncompress) just delete .tar.gz to get the file
to be placed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times
disable-composite.conf.tar.gz
(do not uncompress) just delete .tar.gz to get the file
to be placed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
(62 Bytes) Downloaded 268 times

gcmartin

On a dual-core 32bit laptop - Slacko 312.37 110807

#288 Post by gcmartin »

Have several problems on this platform. Appears to be driver related.
  1. Live media boot went to console's prompt after video xorgwizard Probe during boot.
  2. While there, I checked the system and found that all hostname settings were consistent
  3. xwin did NOT start desktop
  4. xorgwizard required Choose, then, selecting Intel 740 driver AND 16 bit selections for
  5. xwin to go to desktop
  6. SPUP's Personalize Setting ran: Changed the hostname field from default to new one, and clicked the Xorgwizard button
  7. Selected Prompt and recieved the same results as experienced on boot: namely, desktop would NOT start with the Prompt selection
  8. While at console, I checked to system for the hostname changes from Personalize
  9. Setting (see attachments). Found that environment variable for HOSTNAME was NOT changed in this console session. So, I logout (exit) command.
  10. After command execution, the HOSTNAME now contains the value that it suhould.
  11. Restarted xorgwizard, selecting Choose, Intel 740 driver and took 16bit as these are only settings that worked
  12. xwin to desktop.
  13. Personalize Settings automatically returned showing all current system settings.
  14. Pressed OK, only to find out that the booted system does NOT have ANY wired or WiFi drivers present and does NOT see my laptop's NICs (reports are attached below)
  15. Open a terminal window and found that all hostname values are the same as was seen on system console before returning to desktop
  16. Created a Hardinfo report for review and verificaton.
Note: See PUP527 here for current HOSTNAME explanation. Pictures below ARE relevent to that post as well.

Please PM/post me if you have something specific for me to test on this laptop

Hope this is useful and helpful.
Attachments
Personalize Settings.png
Desktop on boot and video selections at system prompt
(64.8 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times
Before Exit to Prompt and Logout.png
After Personalize Settings - BEFORE logout
(37.54 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times
After logout and desktop restart.png
After logout, all fields are now consistent!
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 1124 times
System Boot Reports.txt.gz
System reports
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

don570

problems with Slacko

#289 Post by don570 »

I wasn't able to run the following command on the
terminal

rxvt -geometry "64x10-0+0" -e arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null
I just got an empty window to briefly flash.

I couldn't get my audio to record.
Here is the message.

I have an IBM desktop with an Intel sound chip

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#290 Post by Lobster »

i am considering trying this out.. are all the same (specifically radeon) drivers available for this?
I don't have the same ATI radeon drivers that are available (easily) in Quickpet and Lucid.
However we are in Alpha and I have moved from pre-alpha (getting no boot to desktop at all) to Vesa (older graphic display) to xorg (newer display).
Despite this you should be a 'Puppy Pioneer' because you will learn, you will help and you will be involved.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp :)

We are Puppy
You are Puppy Too
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D