Slacko 312.37 110807

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

#81 Post by davids45 »

G'day 01micko,

I'm having a problem getting the Unversal Installer to do an install of Slacko.

After the Installer checks the partitions on the chosen drive, I get the "sanity check" failure where an unidentified partition (there's no partition i.d. shown) is said to be unable to be unmounted, or a couple of other reasons why it won't proceed with the install. There's a <Continue> option at the bottom of the dialog box that doesn't.

I could do the Frugal install manually (and did - Slacko runs really well), but wanting a Full Slacko on either hard drive, all I got was the 'sanity' fail when I tried installing on one drive then the other. GParted showed no problem on either drive and another new Pup (luci-264) had no such qualm about my hard drives.

(Just remembered, on sdb, my 5GB ext2 sdb1 wont accept a full install with any Pup so far - sdb1 was a Windows XP 'drive C' previously and there is a 1MB section at its start I can't merge into it with GParted. But other new Pups have installed fully to other sdb partitions without problem. sda has no problem like this sdb1 oddity but does have sda1 with XP (ntfs). All other partitions (14 on each drive) are ext2 or ext3, with 1 small linux swap partition on sdb.)

Is this some un-slack feature of Slackware that stops me from installation or do I have a real problem I should look for or fix.

Thanks for any of your valuable time,

David S.

01micko

#82 Post by 01micko »

I'm having a problem getting the Unversal Installer to do an install of Slacko.
Hi David! Bit of a cross post phenomenon there! :lol:

The solution is to make sure there is an icon named "gparted.xpm"

I just made a symlink to the mini-hammer.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-hammer.xpm /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/gparted.xpm
She runs then!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sszindian

Cloud

#83 Post by sszindian »

01micko wrote:

sszindian.. I am looking for a developer for the "Cloud" app.. I can help with coding. Interested?

PM me with some details!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

James C

#84 Post by James C »

Been having a lot of trouble with X not starting on various Pups on a old dual-core box.Just tried 310.37....cannot get X started.Runs XP,Mepis,Fedora,Sabayon and Mint with no problems.
More info in the Luci thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 754#544754

davids45

#85 Post by davids45 »

G'day 01micko,

As the Sydney weather outside had just gone Queenslanderish (pouring), I stayed inside and used your fix adding the missing GParted icon before trying the Universal Installer with Slacko.31037.

Happy to report from this new Full install of Slacko on sdb14, it worked :) .

Weather's gone back to the normal stuff too, albeit cloudy and still cold. You may need to Google the term "cold" as applied to weather. :D

David S.

ps: With the PUI, when there are two CD/DVD drives, why does it default to sr1 (the 'second' drive) instead of sr0 (the 'first' and presumably always present one)?

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Been having a lot of trouble with X not starting on various Pups on a old dual-core box.Just tried 310.37....cannot get X started.Runs XP,Mepis,Fedora,Sabayon and Mint with no problems.
James.. how's your terminal skills?

What I need is for you to save the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Easiest way is to mount a drive and copy it there then extract it in a working GUI environment.

Before that you might want to look at the log yourself using mp:

mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log
To mount a drive you need to create a mount point for it.. call it whatever you want but I would just do this:

mkdir /mnt/drive
Then you can mount it with (make sure it's a linux drive):

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/drive
replacing sda1 with your chosen drive.

You can then issue the "mount" command just to check it mounted ok.

then just copy the file to the root of the drive or any folder that you like, for the root do this:

cp -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt/drive
Unmount the drive:

umount /mnt/drive
(not a typo :wink: )

Gzip the log and post here, I don't care if it's a lupu log, it will likely be the same issue.

Cheers

James C

#87 Post by James C »

At the moment I'm preparing to install Mageia on here....no problem in anything but newer Pups. :lol: I'll try the always fun terminal stuff but since it's already past 1 am it'll probably be tomorrow.

I took a look at Xorg.0.log with Luci,or whatever comes up if you choose to tweak the config, and it showed the correct GeForce 8400 GS card,the "vesa" driver and the correct 1440x900 resolution....but had nothing but a black desktop,a big cursor and clicking the mouse did nothing. :)
Naturally,as I just posted in the Luci thread, Puppy 431 used xorgwizard and went straight to a desktop with working sound out of the box.
Anyway, I'll try the other stuff tomorrow.
Thanks.

01micko

#88 Post by 01micko »

New alpha is uploading now, announcement shortly,, PUI is fixed, Seamonkey updated, USB installs work with new kernel, flashplayer is removed (latest is asked to download automatically) new artwork.. see what happens eh?

There are still broadcom and radeon issues to address, as well as chromium/iron browser availability of latest versions.

Give it a spin! (deltas and devx tomorrow, you can rename the devx from the 310,37 version)

pemasu

#89 Post by pemasu »

Because I caused 01micko several hours of wasted time when debugging PUI and and the reason was my Gparted pet without xpm icon, I have as apology compiled in Spup latest development version of GIMP 2.7.2.

Gegl and babl are included in Gimp pet. Python is disabled since I didnt want to compile pygtk which was dependency.

You find Gimp pets as separated Gimp-2.7.2, DEV, DOC, NLS from....

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Spup/Pets/
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#90 Post by DaveS »

Hi Mick. Could you add this Junk please? What it does is make sure fixmenus works for Openbox if anyone (me) wants to switch to it.
Attachments
openboxmenu.pet
(13.19 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#91 Post by James C »

Slacko 311.37 Where is the SeaMonkey menu entry? :)

Manual frugal install on the Athlon XP box. Like the wallpaper. Sound muted on boot...... no problem to unmute. Display and internet working on boot.
Time to explore and tweak a little.

Jim1911

#92 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi 01micko,

Frugal installation on my main machine is great, it's impressive, fast, stable, and everything works.

Also, installed to an USB flash drive using Puppy universal installer, took it to a Dell with a wireless connection. It booted flawlessly and SNS found the wireless connection. I created a CD and used it to boot the Dell and it also worked perfectly. Posting from it now.

Cheers,
Jim

James C

#93 Post by James C »

Looking good so far.....
Attachments
Slacko-311.png
(66.6 KiB) Downloaded 790 times

mikeslr

Problems with Xorg, Restart X, Can't create SaveFile

#94 Post by mikeslr »

As I mentioned in prior posts
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 480#543480; http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 419#544419
Slacko 311.37 110717, using a recompiled 2.6.37.6. kernel, can not create a SaveFile on my ZTSystems which employs Ati-Radeon 3100 graphics. 01micko wondered whether it was a woof problem or an sPup problem. In an effort to track down the cause, I downloaded all spup isos since spup100 which runs fine and from which I am posting.

The only one which functioned was the spup-121.01.iso with the 'dodgy' 2.6.37.6 kernel. Downloaded and unpacked it, edited Grub to read pfix=ram Booted OK. HardDriveInfo reports 1600x900 pixels using X.Org version 1.9.5 via unknown vendor. Clicked Setup. Successfully obtained Radeon driver @ 1600x900x24. Change Time zone to GMT-5. Changed Grub to pfix=fsck. Rebooted creating SaveFile with prior settings retained although HardDriveInfo still reports unknown vendor. Deleted Spup-121.01 "dodgy."

Unpacked spup_121.02. Reset Grup to pfix=ram. Booted into 121.02
Graphics on boot was @ 1600x900. HardDriveInfo as previous, via unknown vendor. Ran XOrg Wizard, chose Ati Radeon & successfully returned to desktop @ 1600x900x24. HardDriveInfo still reports unknown driver. Changed timezone to eastern US, but when clicking "Restart X" dropped out of X and received notice:
"ATI-ATOMBIOSACERH203H IS NOT A DIRECTORY". Was able to rerun Xorg and "choose" Radeon driver and return to desktop. Clicking Restart x from menu reproduced above. There appeared to be a couple seconds delay before xorg would start, but again was successful in returning to desktop. Changed Grub to pfix=fsck. Rebooted creating SaveFile. Did not reach desktop, rather received above message, but could run xorgwizard and again obtain desktop. Ran xorgwizard twice to get there: either I mistyped or it didn't run the first time, leaving me still out of X. My recollection is that this was the problem I had the first time I tried 121.02.

Booted into other puppy in order to delete spup 121.02 & try others.

Downloaded spup 120-BABY & Spup 311 for testing. Couldn't find their specs.

Unpacked 311 & reset Grub to pfix=ram. Rebooted into 311 desktop @ 1600x900. HardDriveInfo reports unknown vendor. Clicked setup, xorg crashes system, hung at black screen requiring pulling plug. Rebooted, tried to immediately create SaveFile. Same result. Rebooted, clicked restart X. Same result. In each of the foregoing, received a notice on my monitor that "No Video Signal" was being received. Pressing the power button was ineffective; literally had to pull the plug.

Deleted "311" boot files, unpacked "Baby". Booted into same. Again "proper" desktop. As I delayed for a couple of seconds, I received a request to ID mouse. Clicked USB, computer crashed into black screen, then "No Signal." Pulled plug. Rebooted. Received request to ID sound card. Ignored same. Chose to attempt to create SaveFile by selecting Reboot. Same Result.

I have not experienced the above problems with Lupu 5.11, 5.20, 5.25, sPups thru 100, FatDog 64, or LightHouse 64 on this machine. I do not recall having the above problems with recent dPups, but removed them as being less functional than sPups & Lupus. But I would note a similar problem was experienced by some trying to use LH64 with nVidia graphics, and maybe others trying to use recent dPups.

I would have thought it to be a kernel problem, but was surprised when the "dodgy" iso worked when Slacko 310 --with, I believe, a variation of that kernel-- didn't.

Hope this helps.

mikesLr

James C

#95 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:Been having a lot of trouble with X not starting on various Pups on a old dual-core box.Just tried 310.37....cannot get X started.Runs XP,Mepis,Fedora,Sabayon and Mint with no problems.
James.. how's your terminal skills?

What I need is for you to save the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Easiest way is to mount a drive and copy it there then extract it in a working GUI environment.

Before that you might want to look at the log yourself using mp:

mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log
To mount a drive you need to create a mount point for it.. call it whatever you want but I would just do this:

mkdir /mnt/drive
Then you can mount it with (make sure it's a linux drive):

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/drive
replacing sda1 with your chosen drive.

You can then issue the "mount" command just to check it mounted ok.

then just copy the file to the root of the drive or any folder that you like, for the root do this:

cp -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt/drive
Unmount the drive:

umount /mnt/drive
(not a typo :wink: )

Gzip the log and post here, I don't care if it's a lupu log, it will likely be the same issue.

Cheers
Guess what? Slacko 311.37 at least booted directly to a desktop.....800x600 but at least it's a desktop. :)
Haven't tried to change the resolution yet but posting a tar.gz of /var/log/xorg.0.log from the initial boot.
Attachments
slacko-311.tar.gz
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

pemasu

#96 Post by pemasu »

Slacko 311.37 first impressions. Basic things works. Now also sound works. Speaker was zero but after adjusting I played nicely music. My acer 5820TG didnt get sound with previous version. Flsynclient working needs that xorgwizard creates xorg.conf or something else. Synaptics not found is the reason for running xorgwizard.

If it is common problem, there could be wrapper script or something to instruct what to do to get flsynclient working.

Overall, first impression is really good. Even wallpaper is nice. Like Do you see the light impression.

James C

#97 Post by James C »

Exited to the prompt and used xorgwizard to change resolution. Tried "probe" and "1440x900" and got....the prompt.
Tried "vesa" and "1440x900" and got 1600x1200...at least its working.
Current /var/log/xorg.0.log posted.

Guess I'll try Luci again a bit later.
Attachments
slacko 311-2.tar.gz
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#98 Post by Lobster »

Guess what? Slacko 311.37 at least booted directly to a desktop.
Good news.
Still not doing that for me.
Gonna get rid of all slacko files (in the home dir) and try again.
m m m . . . maybe try Puppy Universal Installer first .. .

I used FTP and mhwavedit to do a pawedcast
in development 4
and am now in Alpha 2 of Slacko (that would be development 5)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 847#544847

I actually tried an upgrade from Alpha1 to Alpha 2 - it worked - that is what I am running
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53Developers
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billtoo

Slacko 311.37 110717

#99 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of 311.37 and installed the nvidia
driver in slickpet.
Sun 17 Jul 2011 Operating System: Slacko Puppy-311.37 Linux 2.6.37.6
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
# glxgears
35498 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7099.574 FPS
49980 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9995.960 FPS
49974 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9994.742 FPS

I installed kdegames using ppm and it works fine.
There is no Seamonkey listing in the menu but that's the only thing
wrong that I've seen so far.
Attachments
spupscrn.jpg
(131.78 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

James C

#100 Post by James C »

Here is the 8400 GS info from Mageia....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(96.49 KiB) Downloaded 712 times