BaCon Bits

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
NinerSevenTango

#166 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Disregard, got it sorted. What I ended up doing was installing bash4, compiling with that, and copying the resulting executable to /usr/bin.
seaside wrote:
Well, I'm not sure why that happened, but here's a copy of the 2.1.2-bacongui.

Cheers,
Thanks, I can use it, I'll work on it and see what's up with it. From Geany, it should be using the executable in /usr/bin, right?

Edit: Using the terminal in /usr/share/bacon, which has the executable you supplied, with the command line bacon bacongui.bac, it still gives the same message, that it choked on the extract command. Hmmm.

Edit 2: Well now I'm confused. With a terminal open in usr/share/bacon, invoking bacon -v returns version 1 build 29. The executable shows today's date and a file size of 401K. Man I hate being such a noob.

Volhout

PL2303

#167 Post by Volhout »

Hi,

2 years ago I used BaCon with a FTDI USB device, and got help making this work. Since the FTDI USB device was not part of the kernel, I need an extra library, but in the end, all seemed to work.

Now I am facing something more simple, but that made it even more confusing....

I want to do serial communication using a USB-RS232 converter with a PL2303 chip. On both Slacko 5.3.3 (BaCon 1.0) as well as Precise 5.7.1 (BaCon 2.x) this registers nicely, and I see kernel modules usbserial.ko and PL2303.ko loaded.

The device is connected at /dev/ttyUSB0. This is all perfect. Aint-it ?

But how do I access it from BaCon ??? What header file do I need to include ? On none at all ? Any suggestion is welcome.

I included both BaCon versions, since the new BaCon 2.x may have better (different) support for (usb) serial devices. In the documentation however I still could not find an "OPEN COMx" basic statement.

Since the serial port is far from dead in embedded systems (*), I can imagine support in BaCon is added.

Volhout

(*)= Microsoft removed hyperterminal from W7 (COM=dead?), but that contradicts with languages like python that have support (very simple to use .. compliments).

sunburnt

#168 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Volhout; I`m almost certain I saw some code for serial ports at the BaCon forum.
The problem is finding it. Like some Puppy forum threads it`s impossible to find anything.
So unfortunately this valuable info. gets lost virtually for ever.
I`ve been commenting elsewhere about the loss of code and folks efforts...

I`ll keep an eye open and let you know if I find it.
Ask at the BaCon forum: http://basic-converter.proboards.com/