New Puppy Linux (Brainwave) Mirror Needs Testing!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Saturn

New Puppy Linux (Brainwave) Mirror Needs Testing!

#1 Post by Saturn »

Hello All,
I have purchased a Dedicated server and Domain,for general puppy linux expansion for as, I remember at the beginning of last year some of you were having issues with the downloads stopping half way or have them be "corrupted" at the end of the download process.
This was due to my shared hosting provider, hostmonster, putting a "throttle" on all of your connections since there was always quite more than a few hundred of you trying to connect to brainwave @ once at any given time, although they do advertise, unlimited file storage and bandwidth transfer, they only do so , with in reason and the hordes of puppy users would have not been quite accommodation to the other users of the host monster shared hosting environment I.e, would have taken away some speed and CPU processing time from the other various sites that is does host that are more or are equally important, but in practice according to the Acceptable use policy and Terms of service, stated in the fine print of what "Unlimited" actually means, everyone gets a fair share and stake in the collectively held resources.

And since hostmonster host's over 200K sites and counting, you can imagine how small a margin brainwave was alloted, my guess-timates was that in order for the site run smoothly, that it not run over 400megabytes a day in Bandwidth transfer, which would amount to maybe a small , unadvertised personal blog of some sort, with getting maybe average unique hits for that month.

I have been quite busy since, then and have recently gotten a dual Xeon server with a an 80GB SSD ( solid disk drives.. the newer hard disk drives that do not have any moving parts, what so ever) and Gigabit outgoing port for all your downloading needs, in the hopes that this will be a new beginning for brainwave and an end to those nasty downloads that have haunted some of you since last December (2010)

Here are the links for browsing:

http://www.puppylinux-online.net/micko01

http://www.puppylinux-online.net/mike

http://www.puppylinux-online.net/wolf

These are the latest downloads as of the the 3rd of this month(August,2011), sorry been too busy with other things and I have just recently gotten the files ready and setup there ,as it is unmanaged
I had setup apache, among other things with the assistance of a few friends, in tiny increments, so I could get this secret project done piece by piece

And Also,
I will need PM's from the former contributing members of the community that placed packages or disc images on to the original brainwavedesigncentral.net server
(Micko01, the developer of lupu and lucid
And Big-mike, who I can't thank enough for making brainwave such a huge success by spreading my puppy repo so far and wide that it buckled under the Traffic! (mostly due to other traffic on the shared account plus their bandwidth throttling for consideration of their other customers) without him, it might have just been yet another strangling puppy linux mirror,among the many! and any others who may have contributed

As it is ready for use (200gb allowance a month) and will be a permanent addition to my offering of help and gratitude to the puppy community

Again, Thank you puppy, for providing me a fast, stable, worry free system!
I have been using you since the march of 2005!

Happy downloading people!

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

SSD >> "do not have any moving parts,"

And when they die they are bastards to get data off.
If not impossible.

Just to let you know.

" Many of the sites I've seen in this market segment make claims which are unsupportable and few of the so-called SSD recovery companies I've queried in this market have any clear idea of the complexity of the task involved.

Many SSD failures are in fact unrecoverable - because if the remapping tables get trashed - the media data is effectively randomized - and mixed up with blocks which were marked as corrupted and unusable even before the SSD failed. Worse still if the SSD is encrypted. "

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-recovery.html

Hey! and all the best for your continued Puppy support .

Chris.

Saturn

#3 Post by Saturn »

Thanks for the info but I wanted to give you guys the lowest possible Latency(Time for the download or other file to reach your puppy and start)

But I did not know that specific issue about ssd's except they wear down after awhile, even with TRIM Running....

Anyways i have moved the Files to an HDD that is also 80GB just for safety concerns

Thanks for the heads up!

My hat's off to you!, and the community

russoodle

Links ok

#4 Post by russoodle »

Hi Saturn,

Links a-ok here....and congratulations on having acquired yourself a new server....i wish you success and lots of hassle-free downloading by the community :)

HA! As for hostmonster and others..... 'unlimited', what a load! Notwithstanding the 'Acceptable Use Policy' and TOS, to me, that's just plain old nasty false advertising, (aka lies), and is no less dishonest simply because it's the 'done thing' among web hosts. Since when does 'unlimited' mean 'limited in relation to the balance of the shared resources'? I guess 'dog' would mean 'cat' if they say so, too :evil:

I've read something similar to what cthisbear is saying about the SSD's, so it's a good thing you're also backing up the files on the 80gb drive.

Cheers!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]