Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
PaulBx1

#706 Post by PaulBx1 »

So if anyone succeeded in booting from usb without internal HDD, I would be grateful to hear about it, so that I can start searching for my mistakes
I did, with a diskless Intel D510MO (with Atom processor), using a flash drive, and luci 265. Created the flash drive with the universal installer. No gyrations were needed, just used defaults.

What are the symptoms of your failure to boot? What shows on the screen?
Will the 'final' have these umount enhancements (please)
That's not a bug fix, it's an enhancement. I'm still lobbying to get bugs fixed in this BUG FIX release.

Excuse the sarcasm.
Are my encryption fixes going into 266? The fsck thing is an annoyance, but using /dev/zero in creating an encrypted pupsave is actually pretty bad.
PaulBx1, I am not sure. I will read and try to understand them. I am very reluctant to edit system scripts, especially at the last minute. Perhaps others can help review them. Thanks.
Sorry about messing with initrd.gz, but that is where the bugs are. :) The fsck thing is very simple, uncommenting one line, and trivial to test (note, encrypted pupsaves have been getting fscked forever, due to things like improper shutdowns - one just can't ask for an fsckand get it). The other takes a bit more but the main fix for that, which requires a bit of logic, is in rc.shutdown, and that is also easily tested. And I will test it for you.

playdayz

#707 Post by playdayz »

Booting USB with no hard drive and no cd/dvd drive

It just dawned on me to mention this. That when I boot with no drives from usb--I have to hit F11 or F12 during the splash screen for the BIOS in order to choose to boot from USB HDD. I think if someone doesn't do that I am not sure that most BIOS's would go through all choices--if they were set to boot from sata hdd and there was not one they would just fail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, luci-266 is now posted btw, in the first message of this thread.

PaulBx1

#708 Post by PaulBx1 »

I don't have to do that. My BIOS is apparently smart enough to figure it out. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point...

If you are saying there are two ways to do it, yes... either set the BIOS to boot from USB, or hit F12 (or whatever) to select it from a list if you haven't set the BIOS.

playdayz

#709 Post by playdayz »

PaulBx1 wrote:I don't have to do that. My BIOS is apparently smart enough to figure it out. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point...

If you are saying there are two ways to do it, yes... either set the BIOS to boot from USB, or hit F12 (or whatever) to select it from a list if you haven't set the BIOS.
No, I think some BIOS's are not smart enough. Yes, there are 2 ways.

James C

#710 Post by James C »

The usual manual frugal install of Luci-266 on the old Athlon XP box. As expected everything working on initial boot and no real difficulties yet.
Installed SeaMonkey 2.2, Conky and the Nvidia driver.

Thu 21 Jul 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-266 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.16

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Core 0: 1998 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
11372 frames in 5.0 seconds
11759 frames in 5.0 seconds
11972 frames in 5.0 seconds
11866 frames in 5.0 seconds
10877 frames in 5.0 seconds

majorfoo

#711 Post by majorfoo »

D/l Luci-266 and did full install to ext4 partition on hard drive.

This one is very fast on my pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 2gb ram

Sound and internet works out of the box.
Using Seamonkey 2.2 lucid with latest flash player.

Looking good

majorfoo

bigpup

#712 Post by bigpup »

Wallpapper to consider.
Got them from here:
http://puppy.b0x.me/gallery/index.php?fID=8&page=1
Attachments
pupmy28,013_medium.jpg
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
newpup2.30_medium.jpg
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
pup25,04_medium.jpg
(17.51 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DaveS

#713 Post by DaveS »

PaulBx1 wrote:
Will the 'final' have these umount enhancements (please)
That's not a bug fix, it's an enhancement. I'm still lobbying to get bugs fixed in this BUG FIX release.

Excuse the sarcasm.
Try reading the forum and Barry's blog properly and you will see this is very MUCH a bug fix.
I used 'enhancement' as it is actually a work around rather than a true bug fix, but just as relevant for all that.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

#714 Post by bigpup »

Luci266
Frugal

menu->help->Lupunews help

Opens to the Lucid Puppy News help OK.

If you do not refresh page online.
The other tabs do this:

News - Opens ///usr/share/doc/index.html

Tweaks - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index2.html (page not found error).

5.1.1 - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index3.html (page not found error).

Fun - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index5.html (page not found error).

Play - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index6.html (page not found error).

After you do refresh page online.
They all work as they should.

Side note:

I showed someone Puppy Linux ( Luci266 ) but did not tell them anything.
I stared it up and said read this Puppy Help 101
After about 30 minutes they where happily running Puppy and doing all kinds of stuff.
I asked need any help?
They said no this is easy to use.

Thank you Smokey01!!!!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

tempestuous

#715 Post by tempestuous »

playdayz and rerwin,
Sorry about the confusion regarding firmware; my iwlagn-firmware-update is an "end-user" package, with the firmware located in the correct final location (/lib/firmware)

But my orinoco-firmware package was packaged to be included in a remastered ISO; the firmware is stored as a tarball, ready to be uncompressed when the associated kernel module is loaded for the first time.
This is a legacy of older Puppies:- back when there was a separate "zdrv" file. As rerwin said, this policy is probably no longer of much value, and you might as well uncompress the orinoco firmware and locate it directly in /lib/firmware ...
for that matter, you could consider uncompressing all of the firmware packages in /lib/modules/all-firmware
but if you do this, I suggest for "neatness" that you also completely delete /etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.33.2
and delete the corresponding udev rule which handles the linking of firmware tarballs-to-kernel modules.

tempestuous

#716 Post by tempestuous »

bigpup wrote:The one big problem:
I can not get on the internet with this new whatever device because Puppy does not see it
bigpup, we need to see your "lspci -n" output.

Snail

Pfind and screen repaint problems

#717 Post by Snail »

These screen shots show my problems with Pfind.

The second image also demonstrates a screen repaint problem that I have also encountered with Abiword and Quickpet.

I've never seen anything like either of these problems in other Puppies, including 525.

Incidentally, we have two screenshot utilities. I think it would be good if both saved their images to the same directory.

Snail

Questions about "Remove builtin packages"

#718 Post by Snail »

Having installed Seamonkey, I used the above utility to remove Sylpheed. (I cannot check if it worked because pfind seems to be broken, see above post)

The utility listed bogofilter and gtk as dependencies for Sylpheen. However, after deleting Sylpheed (I assume it worked). I restarted the utility and looked for bogofilter. It wasn't there in the dropdown list? Should it be?

I also saw Bacon listed. Surely that would be in the dev sfs? (I haven't got any dev sfs on this machine). Again, without pfind I can't check to see if it's there!

Snail

More oddities

#719 Post by Snail »

A reboot seems to "fix" pfind sometimes. However, it doesn't stay fixed.

Straight after reboot, I searched for sylpheed. Some of it is still there. Sylpheed has however disappeared from the dropdown list in "Remove builtin packages".

Is it safe to manually delete the remaining files in the attached list?

I was also able to see that Bacon is indeed in the main sfs.
Attachments
image-4.png
(63.64 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

ICPUG

#720 Post by ICPUG »

While I can see that the new unmount process from Barry is a nice to have I can understand Playdayz reluctance to include it.

With the current info available the only way to make this update is to build Lucid with the latest woof. This will solve the unmount difficulty but we have no idea whether it will introduce other problems, since woof is constantly developing. More testing would be required to make sure it didn't and more work to remove any wrinkles it introduces.

I think this is why it can be reqarded as an enhancement (to use the latest woof) rather than a bug fix (to solve the 'unmount' problem).

It is questionable whether it is a bug since it is human error which selects the remove icon rather than unmount, but that is a minor point and probably just semantics!

If someone can make a pet to solve the unmount problem then we can add the pet and remaster and be sure that we have not introduced any more problems. This seems a better way to go in a bug fix release.

bigpup

#721 Post by bigpup »

tempestuous wrote:
bigpup wrote:The one big problem:
I can not get on the internet with this new whatever device because Puppy does not see it
bigpup, we need to see your "lspci -n" output.
This was not a statement about me.
It was a general statement about posts I have read lately by people trying to run Puppy on new latest hardware.
Just trying to confirm to Playdayz the need for better driver support for new hardware.
Tempestuous, you are doing an excellent job of providing that support by the way!!

In general I see problems being posted, in the beginners section of the forum and they are using a device they just purchased. You can tell their problem is driver support for that new hardware.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#722 Post by playdayz »

But my orinoco-firmware package was packaged to be included in a remastered ISO; the firmware is stored as a tarball, ready to be uncompressed when the associated kernel module is loaded for the first time.
This is a legacy of older Puppies:- back when there was a separate "zdrv" file. As rerwin said, this policy is probably no longer of much value, and you might as well uncompress the orinoco firmware and locate it directly in /lib/firmware ...
Thanks tempestuous. That is what I did (uncompress the orinoco firmware and locate it directly in /lib/firmware). That should be OK then. I see now where I got confused. Thanks much for your help and patience.

playdayz

#723 Post by playdayz »

Having installed Seamonkey, I used the above utility to remove Sylpheed. (I cannot check if it worked because pfind seems to be broken, see above post)

The utility listed bogofilter and gtk as dependencies for Sylpheen. However, after deleting Sylpheed (I assume it worked). I restarted the utility and looked for bogofilter. It wasn't there in the dropdown list? Should it be?

I also saw Bacon listed. Surely that would be in the dev sfs? (I haven't got any dev sfs on this machine). Again, without pfind I can't check to see if it's there!
By above utility, you mean Pfind? It does not do any good to remove Sylpheed (or any other program). They wills til be in the luci sfs so there is no savings in space. If youw ant to make it disappear, you can delete the /usr/share/applications/sylpheed.desktop file. You can also edit /usr/local/bin/defaultmail and comment out sylpheed and remove the comment before seamonkey if you install seamonkey, or add whatever mail program you install.

Bacon Recorder is present. The Bacon compiler is in the devx but there is a Bacon runtime in the sfs.

Pfind. I believe the problem is that you must click the box that says No Files Found - OK before anything else can happen.

playdayz

#724 Post by playdayz »

Luci-266 is now a *Beta*. The next version will be the RC.

playdayz

#725 Post by playdayz »

If you do not refresh page online.
The other tabs do this:

News - Opens ///usr/share/doc/index.html

Tweaks - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index2.html (page not found error).
Got it. Lazy me.

Those are some wild backgrounds! Wow. Who made all those? futwerk, I see. But what the heck, how do I download them? It seems like that ought to be easy.

http://puppy.b0x.me/gallery/index.php?fID=8&page=1