Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#316 Post by pemasu »

I have used acpid pet from somewhere inside this forum. I think one version is in Barrys repo. Patriot made one and also Shinobar.
The acpid pet enables that powerbutton shuts down your computer and some of those pets also gives the gui dialog what to do.
I dont remember anymore which pet I used since I have made bigger pet of it.
Acpitool from ubuntu lucid repo is what I use. It enables the suspend to ram usage which is compiled in in lucid kernel. Hibernate to disk is not possible and it is not so useful anyway.

If you install acpitool, you can use it from the console by acpitool -s
That command suspends to ram and comp should wake up by pressing buttons, at least enter should wake up.

You dont have yet keybindings to your Zz button yet. To enable keybindings to the Zz button is another story.
I use xbindkeys and xbindkeys-config for that and symlink in Startup folder to autostart them.
I can try to locate the original acpid pet I use.

pemasu

#317 Post by pemasu »

I think the attached acpid pet is what I use. It is more functional and needs acpitool to be installed since its scripts uses it.

This pet has more functionality, it has lid closing script to suspend to ram. It installs with acpid binary several useful scripts. It installs /etc/init.d/rc.acpi and to the /root/Startup/acpi scripts.
Pressing the powerbutton opens a dialog about shutting.

In /etc/acpi/ resides the main scripts besides /usr/sbin/acpid daemon.
I believe this acpid pet is made by Shinobar since it has locales for france and japan.

Extract the pet and you see what it installs.
After installing the pet reboot is probably needed, clicking the acpi script in Startup folder at least or restart X. /etc/init.d/rc.acpi wont be initialized though without rebooting.
Attachments
acpid-1.0.10-1.pet
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

pemasu

#318 Post by pemasu »

To be continued. I made pet from ubuntu acpitool.
Laptop owners can test combination by installing above acpid pet and this acpitool pet.
I suggest rebooting before reporting the usability.
Attachments
acpitool-0.5.7.pet
(34.83 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

stu90

#319 Post by stu90 »

frugal install of 263 no problems to report.
swapped fbpanel for tint2

full res:
http://i.imgur.com/P4rTO.jpg

Some nice icon sets here:

faenza_lrx (picture a couple of posts up)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 762#499762

JQ8raised
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 018#502018

peebee

#320 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:To be continued. I made pet from ubuntu acpitool.
Laptop owners can test combination by installing above acpid pet and this acpitool pet.
I suggest rebooting before reporting the usability.
Thanks pemasu

works for me on my hp550

would be a great addition to lupu for laptop users

would be even better with a new sub-menu item in Shutdown for Suspend to RAM

p.s. everything else tested works OK on luci263 so far
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#321 Post by pemasu »

would be even better with a new sub-menu item in Shutdown for Suspend to RAM
I have swapped the original Shutdown menu with Radkys excellent Pupshutdown. Pupshutdown has suspend to ram icon preinstalled.
I know.....I just couldnt resist this advertisement of Radky`s great Pupshutdown (which got new update yesterday)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56077

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#322 Post by Béèm »

Lobster wrote:I want it All :roll:
And I want it now
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#323 Post by playdayz »

stu90, What yad are you using or recommend? If it is installed in Lucid then it will always be there. If it is only installed in the pets that you and others make, then if someone installs two pets that contain yad and then uninstalls one, yad will be removed. This is no criticism of course, just the way PPM works, a sof course you know. But by installing it we can make sure it is always there whether the pets contain it or not. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I want it All :roll:
And I want it now
LOL!!!
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#324 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:
Lobster wrote:I want it All :roll:
And I want it now
Man I loved Queen :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

stu90

#325 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:stu90, What yad are you using or recommend? If it is installed in Lucid then it will always be there. If it is only installed in the pets that you and others make, then if someone installs two pets that contain yad and then uninstalls one, yad will be removed. This is no criticism of course, just the way PPM works, a sof course you know. But by installing it we can make sure it is always there whether the pets contain it or not. Thanks.
Hi Playdayz,

Having Yad installed would be cool :)
I am using the latest 0.12.4 version of Yad http://code.google.com/p/yad/ that was compiled on Lucid 5.2.5 though with a different kernel as well - maybe it would be better to have it compiled on 26x/5.2.6 due to the luci updates ?
Ive not seen a devx for luci-26x is it safe to use the 5.2.5 devx and if you want i will make a new .pet?

cheers.

gcmartin

/etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, environment variable HOSTNAME

#326 Post by gcmartin »

In PUP525 development, a discovery was made in ROX slowness. It was resolved with a "fix" to the /etc/hosts file. In fact FirstRUN/Personlize Settings is used to re-affirm the fix.

This fix has always been in the back of my mind in trying to understand the connection between hostname command and ROX.

Anyway, here is another problem discovered. Don't know though exactly where in the Linux OS this is set, nor which facility should address it.

Question
When the hostname system command is run, whose responsibility in the system is it to update all the system fields properly?

And, it is reported here.

pemasu

#327 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. In fact the hostname not updating was reasoned separately from the Lucid Puppy development but it was rised at Lucid Puppy development thread so that Lucid Puppy would have that fix. After that the bug has resurfaced again again when people have installed Shinobars Firstrun 1.8.2 pet. That pet is still not updated and so the bug exists in that pet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66111

If you install that bug existing version and use it in your build puplets you can wreak a bad situation if you change the hostname. Why in earth people wants to do that hostname changing anyway. Well....maybe samba users need to do that.

Anyway, changing the hostname results that there is not all files updated. And that makes Rox angry. Angry Rox does not obey and leads to remarkable slowness in file functions like listing, showing and copying files. Rox will be happy and obedient again when all dependent files has the same hostname again.
I think that you gcmartin has been active in tracking this bug. Thank you of that.

I dont know why the Firstrun 1.8.2 pet is not updated to resolve that bug.

Now. You need to explain more precisely what is wrong.... where... and how the things has been and how they are now differently.
Because I am now at loss what is wrong/changed/wronged compared to linux standards.
What is the bug and how it is shown.

jim3630

#328 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote: can not get that so useful cpu temp gauge. how did you do that?
Here you go. Just re-name this to pfbpanel without the .zip check it is executable, and move it to /usr/sbin. Allow it to overwrite the existing, then just click on it.
This stopped working. I deleted the original pfbpanel or it may have been fbpanel then placed new one above. On reboot would revert to orginal without cpu temp, dragged icon from /usr/sbin to desktop then clicking would restore until today. at startup desktop icon was unavailable, opened/usr/sbin clicking on pfbpanel did nothing so looks like there is a lack of permanence.

DaveS

#329 Post by DaveS »

jim3630 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote: can not get that so useful cpu temp gauge. how did you do that?
Here you go. Just re-name this to pfbpanel without the .zip check it is executable, and move it to /usr/sbin. Allow it to overwrite the existing, then just click on it.
This stopped working. I deleted the original pfbpanel or it may have been fbpanel then placed new one above. On reboot would revert to orginal without cpu temp, dragged icon from /usr/sbin to desktop then clicking would restore until today. at startup desktop icon was unavailable, opened/usr/sbin clicking on pfbpanel did nothing so looks like there is a lack of permanence.
Cannot imagine why that should be and have not experienced this myself. As a matter of interest, could you see if there is a copy of pfbpanel in /sbin/, as well as usr/sbin?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#330 Post by DaveS »

Dear old Chromium 14 seg faults.
After re-boot could not connect to my wifi network even though it could see it. Connected after turning off firewall.
Opera 11.50 good as gold :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#331 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
DaveS wrote: Here you go. Just re-name this to pfbpanel without the .zip check it is executable, and move it to /usr/sbin. Allow it to overwrite the existing, then just click on it.
Cannot imagine why that should be and have not experienced this myself. As a matter of interest, could you see if there is a copy of pfbpanel in /sbin/, as well as usr/sbin?
There is a copy in usr/sbin/ because I replaced it today with your copy but none in /sbin/. there is a fbsplash in /sbin/.

stu90

#332 Post by stu90 »

DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. :(

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.

jim3630

#333 Post by jim3630 »

installed aria2 which woks without issue then added aria2fe and get this error.

sh-4.1# aria2fe
aria2fe: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

DaveS

#334 Post by DaveS »

stu90 wrote:DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. :(

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.
Just checked it... no problems at all. I just downloaded the .deb from Opera.com, undebbed it, stuck the whole thing in a directory opera at mnt home, symlinked it into root and run it with /root/opera/opera
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

#335 Post by gcmartin »

... If you install that bug existing version and use it in your build puplets you can wreak a bad situation if you change the hostname. Why in earth people wants to do that hostname changing anyway. ...
There is a VERY good reason for this requirement. An International standard dating all the way back to 1983. I had occasion to comment then when they came up with LAN addressing approach.

The rule that is "taught" in all LAN networking classes that I am aware is that each LAN PC is a unique element in the network. There are 3 things which are unique to each element:
  • NIC's MAC address
  • IP address
  • hostname
Much network software over the almost 30 years depend on these unique items. Administrators are taught that they have responsibility to insure that no 2 elements (PC, cameras, phones, etc.) will duplicate this information. Thus, no 2 PCs on any LAN should broadcast the same hostname. That is the reason Shinobar added the field, for, he understood that you could have more than one Puppy on your LAN. And it would give at system start the opportunity to insure (probably not the right word, but I think we understand the intent) that the booting PC would get a unique name.

The standard exist to be OS independent with the expectation that all LAN OSs will respect properly.

I guess my concern is whether this is something wrong with the hostname command (not Puppy) or whether its a distro specific problem with each and every distro.

Hope this helps