Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Stable

#31 Post by gcmartin »

As stable as this is, there is some revolutionary advances being made as you move to completion on this.

This, in my view, is NOT an UPDATE. This is an advancement! Significant in kernel(s), and tool(s) for community use.

I, for one, applaud this effort as it is embracing many 2011 advances made. Maybe the LTS might not be a good acronym to reflect the positive things you are bringing forth for our benefit.

Potentially 2-3 distro, Puppy 5.2.5 based, 32bit/64bit, that takes advantage of all RAM on any modern PC since 2006....WOW! And, most of all, very, very stable. And, I do not see any increase iin system running memory use that I would consider as negative. In fact, the system seems (currently emotional) even more responsive.

Thanks you for this

Question on flash
Didn't someone already get a facility in place that only installs Flash when the browser demanded it? Was that Pemasu? I thought I remember seeing this somewhere before.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Stable

#32 Post by Béèm »

gcmartin wrote:Question on flash
Didn't someone already get a facility in place that only installs Flash when the browser demanded it? Was that Pemasu? I thought I remember seeing this somewhere before.
I think DaveS did mention it to have a facility to switch off/on flashplayer when needed.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Iguleder

#33 Post by Iguleder »

nooby - remove the "nosmp" parameter. Netbooks benefit a lot from Hyperthreading and you disable it, which means your N270 runs only one thread.

This isn't 50% of the performance you get with SMP, but when it's an Atom processor everything counts - I have an N450 and I had to do many tweaks to get things working well :)

And gcmartin - that's my point too - advancement and embraceable of new things we built as a community in 2011, which was a great year so far. The "-lts" suffix is there because its the 2.6.32 branch, which is longterm-supported by Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu and others - I recompile this kernel when a new bug-fix release comes out and the build script is responsible for ensuring backwards compatibility. That's definitely something we should use in 5.3 - the ability to upgrade the kernel to bug-fix releases between 5.0, 5.1, etc'.

And playdayz - I really like EZ-Woof. Can you upload one with every Luci, or at least DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, DISTRO_SPECS and the modified templates? I'd like to do some compilation work on it.

Also, I think it's time to freshen it up with the latest Ubuntu packages, because some security fixes made their way to Lucid. 5.2.6 could be the golden age of 5.x, just like 4.3.1 back then.

Cheers!
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

DaveS

#34 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:
I think DaveS did mention it to have a facility to switch off/on flashplayer when needed.
For Opera. Otherwise, Flashblock allows discretionary useage
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#35 Post by Béèm »

Hello playdayz,
You couldn't leave the big world of Lucid. :wink:

Installed FRUGAL Lin'N'Win the 260
All went well and 'attached' my application environment.
Applications did run.

However I was 'spoiled' by puppy's having sfs load on the fly, so I installed it in 260. Maybe nice to add it in a later release.

Also in pemasu's I discovered this wonderful utility of google translate.
Working regularly in multilingual, this was really a big help to me.
Maybe also something to consider to add?

Compared to 5.2.5 260 seems snappier, specially with my Wine applications.
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

Tasgarth

Pmusic 1.8.3

#36 Post by Tasgarth »

1) Testing pmusic 1.8.3 (PC n°1) :
- files (mp3): OK
- Menu (French language) : OK
- Radio menager; list is downloaded but very very slowly.... Impossible to listen any radio... "alert no File"...I must kill the process
- Podcast Menager list is downloaded but very slowly.... (6 mp3 =6x1020 k) in /root/my-documents/Podcasts : OK
- Icons of playlist : None of the buttons are working. I must kill the process.
----------------------
2)Time > UTC : False but after Psync Time and reboot : it's good.
3) Other programs I tested look very good :
Sylpheed : OK

SFS :Gimp, Seamonkey,Skype, vlc
PETs :
Nvidia and report-video-glx are good
startmount,
Photoxx, UFRaw

PC n°1 :Asus M2V , Nvidia gForce ram ddr2 1G
old PC n°2 : motherboard Elite, sdRAM 515 M
Programs I tested look good

Béèm

#37 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:
Béèm wrote:
For Opera. Otherwise, Flashblock allows discretionary useage
Sorry, my memory left me in the cold.
Time savers:

DaveS

#38 Post by DaveS »

Does 'fixmenus' HAVE to run at every boot/re-start of X?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Tasgarth

#39 Post by Tasgarth »

Mplayer :
No icon in Menu but it runs with a Console.

Stripe

#40 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

playdayz nice to see you back in the saddle

system
amd athlon ll x4 2800mhz
4gb ddr3 ram
nvidia on board graphics

am running 260 from a multisession dvd only one problem so far, volume not working on first boot due to the "master front" channel in alsamixer being set to nothing

If this is common to everybody I will try to find the relevent config file to correct this (please let me know)

iguleder and daves I agree about the flash, but would this change be wise for the problems it could cause for newbies booting for the first time expecting puppy to work straight out of the box? how about an automatic update for flash and other software? (sorry thinking out loud)

Hope this helps
Stripe

smokey01

#41 Post by smokey01 »

If you can spare 45.5k I think Don570 Right-clicks provides some excellent functionality for the small size.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 003#515003

Also Geoffrey's MenuMaker is very good at 24k.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 381#539381

Béèm

#42 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:Does 'fixmenus' HAVE to run at every boot/re-start of X?
Not that I know of.
Why do you ask?
Time savers:

zigbert

#43 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote:All, please test pmusic 1.8.3 in luci-260. Put it through its paces if you could. Zigbert thinks it has problems, but it is at least playing mp3's for me--perhaps switching to the i686 libc helped.
I have no problem with playback of local files, but the progressbar freezes, and gives me problem with internal (non user interaction) actions like navigate to next song after finished playing a track.

I am using Puppy 5.11, and have not tried Lucid 26x
(sorry for not testing). If things sort out fine for others - excellent. - But it still sounds scary to bump up a backend for a bugfix release - or is it Puppy 5.3 :wink:

Best wishes
Sigmund

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

Mplayer :
No icon in Menu but it runs with a Console.
Ha-Ha. Our previous mplayer did not have the mpui--mplayer user interface.

Oh wait, this doesn't either. mplayer is a console program with several different user interfaces, mpui, gnome-mplayer, Smplayer, Umplayer.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#45 Post by playdayz »

But it still sounds scary to bump up a backend for a bugfix release -
Oh, you mean ffmpeg. Yes. It has been 3 months. There was kind of a fortuitous confluence of events. Micko built the new ffmpeg at the very same time I built the new gnome-mplayer--great minds run in the same ruts, as they say ;-)

Then to get gnome-mplayer to cooperate with ffmpeg, I changed the libc libraries from the i386 of Lucid previously to the i686 version of the same library. That is the libc is still from Lucid 10.04, but Lucid Lynx contained two versions. I had thought the OS would choose between them, but evidently it was more mechanical.

At any rate, Pmusic is an important part of Puppy and we hope it will be possible to work things out.

ffmpeg and the libc are the only big changes that are planned and we will test them thoroughly.
And playdayz - I really like EZ-Woof. Can you upload one with every Luci, or at least DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, DISTRO_SPECS and the modified templates? I'd like to do some compilation work on it.

Also, I think it's time to freshen it up with the latest Ubuntu packages, because some security fixes made their way to Lucid. 5.2.6 could be the golden age of 5.x, just like 4.3.1 back then.
Iguleder, Every luci? Do you know how many luci's there have been? ;-) Can you tell me more about what you are needing?

Also, details on packages to freshen up would be very helpful. Thanks.

Oh, we could probably use a Gnumeric 1.1.6 if you are itching to compile.

zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote:At any rate, Pmusic is an important part of Puppy and we hope it will be possible to work things out.
It is no problem to work things out... (if there is any issues). Pmusic 2 is built around ffmpeg-0.8, but this is far from ready. It takes advantage of both the improvements in ffmpeg and gtkdialog. Another approach is to fiddle with Pmusic 1.8.3, but this looks like a stable piece of code (for the environment it is built for), so my intentions is to keep the Pmusic 1 branch compatible with the older Puppies, while Pmusic 2 is the future.

Sigmund

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

You couldn't leave the big world of Lucid.
Well, I could have, but things just came together. This will not be nearly as elaborate a process as Lucid 5.2.5. In fact, it's almost done ;-)

We are seeing a lot of creative experiments and a number of people learning about Woof. I encourage people to raise their profiles and raise their goals and target Puppy The Next Generation. It will be exciting times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who knows, please give me some info on sfs-loader. Is there just one now? Hasn't pemasu been using it? Are there any problems? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

zigbert, It may be that some problems were because 01micko's ffmpeg is i686. Seemingly that is why gnome-mplayer did not work, but works now with the i686 libc. The progress indicator is working for me. luci-260 is the only Lucid with the i686 libc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have openbox and jwm themes and backgrounds for us to consider?

Béèm

#48 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:Anyone who knows, please give me some info on sfs-loader. Is there just one now? Hasn't pemasu been using it? Are there any problems? Thanks.
I downloaded and installed shinobar's sfs load on the fly 1.1
It is in all pemasu's puppy's as also in spup 1.20
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I attach the fixed version of sfs on the load, which I mentioned on the thread before.
Install it and test it yourself. It has the same restriction as puppy init script gives, which is in Lucid Puppies and all Barrys woof builds 6 sfs maximum. But it enables sfs apps immediately.
As I told before, I have compiled kernels with using it to load devx sfs and kernel sources sfs.

I would say, that is near the ultimate usability test.
Attachments
sfs_load-1.1-fixed.pet
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

I think going from 525 to 526 should be for BUG FIXES ONLY, not for enhancements. We shouldn't be doing upgrades for upgrades sake, but only if serious bugs are identified. It is risky to keep adding new stuff to a bug fix release, because it negates all the testing of the previous release. If you want to add new stuff, this should be called 530, not 526. And it then needs a full schedule of testing, not just checking the fixed programs.

I'm not even a software guy, but I know this much. Is that such a radical program? Users need at least an occasional release that is solid; is that asking too much?

Invariably, in all the excitement of adding new stuff, the bugs reported for 525 are pushed on the back burner and forgotten. That is why Puppy bug threads often report the same bug, release after release.

I assume it's too late to change tracks, but maybe if you have loaded up a bunch of new programs you should bump the release number to 530. At least then we won't be deceiving the users that this is a bug fix release.