Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#1111 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:
Essentially, the updater will not delete your old app versions, which should override the newer versions.

If I am understanding this.
What good is an update of the save file?
The whole purpose of upgrading is to get the newer version, of a program, with the bug fix.
BTW rerwin, This seems like a good question to me also? I think you may be talking about old apps that were installed with a pet???
Yes, I am referring to puppy apps that the user may have updated from a .pet. (for example, pfind).

The updater is concerned only about ensuring that the correct (new) versions of puppy components are retained. If a puppy component exists in a pupsave or full installation, it will be replaced in the pupsave/full-install by the new version. In the past, as I assessed the code, the entire set of new components got copied into the pupsave! My changes ensure that that is done only if there is already an old version there (or signs that it was deleted), so as to avoid bloating the pupsave file.

Anyway, that is my take on how upgrading works. Anyone, please correct me if I have it wrong.
Richard

rerwin

#1112 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:Now, the question, is it worth putting the ubu rules back in? And if so, how do I rename any conflicts? With a higher number? This is more complicated but if it would result in a better Lucid I can give it a go.
I am still confused about what you mean by a conflict. There is no duplication of file names nor functionality implied by the text parts of the names. The initial numbers in the file names do not have to be unique. They are there merely to affect the order they are processed by udev.

The only reason, so far, I am aware of for assigning a particular number to the name is to have the rules be processed either before or after the normal loading of modules, which is done in rule files starting with "50". The numbers would also be important to control the relative order of related rules. But the rules I have seen seem not to depend on processing sequence.
Richard

playdayz

#1113 Post by playdayz »

I am still confused about what you mean by a conflict. There is no duplication of file names nor functionality implied by the text parts of the names.
Sorry. I haven't gone through them one by one to look for conflicts. Since you have gone through and found no conflicts I assume from your question that you think it would be a good thing to include the ubu rules? If so, it will be done. No problem.

Also, to confirm, the rc.update and remove_obsolete_files that we want are the ones you sent me yesterday in a pm?

Sage

#1114 Post by Sage »

Richard: many thanks for your comments and apologies for my sloppy terminology (not an IT professional by trade!).

rerwin

#1115 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:Also, to confirm, the rc.update and remove_obsolete_files that we want are the ones you sent me yesterday in a pm?
Yes, rc.update_fix-4.

That restores the 526RC version of rc.update and has the version of the file remover that deletes the now-unnecessary "40-" link to the usb_modeswitch rules file in /lib/udev/rules.d.

Thanks for verifying this, after all the chaos about it. And thanks for going with the ubuntu version of udev.
Richard

playdayz

#1116 Post by playdayz »

I did my usual setup of a remote smbc printer to my XP box.Got the attached error when I tried to print....

The solution is to make the following symlink
Code:
ln -s /lib/libreadline.so.6.1 /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5

But I have no idea why 526 requires this but 525 does not.

Thanks rcrsn51

Confirmed - that fixes it.
There are already links from so.5 to so.6 and then from so.6 to so.6.1 so I am puzzled also.

This new link from so.5 to so.6.1 will replace the current one from so.5 to so.6. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. Thanks.

rcrsn51

#1117 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:There are already links from so.5 to so.6 and then from so.6 to so.6.1 so I am puzzled also.

This new link from so.5 to so.6.1 will replace the current one from so.5 to so.6. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. Thanks.
Careful. This required link goes from /usr/lib to /lib.

CUPS uses smbclient to access WIndows shared printers. Smbclient has libreadline.so.5 as a dependency, which used to be served by the version in /lib. In 526, CUPS now wants to see it in /usr/lib.

rerwin

#1118 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
I see that one of the obsolete modeswitch rules files is still in /etc/udev/rules.d. Could you remove 41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules?

It handles two modems still not in the official data base. If there is need for that support -- if someone requests it -- I would implement the rules in a way more consistent with the current modeswitch function.

Thanks.
Richard

playdayz

#1119 Post by playdayz »

Careful. This required link goes from /usr/lib to /lib.

Thank you. Got it.
I see that one of the obsolete modeswitch rules files is still in /etc/udev/rules.d. Could you remove 41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules?
Got it, unless it is sneaking back in through the back door ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

VDPAU/xerrs.log

#1120 Post by Béèm »

playdayz,
Thank you for your elaborate reply on the VDPAU/xerrs.log.
I was indeed afraid, that slow down could occur.
I'll restart X more often and I am looking forward to 5.2.7
Thank you for your efforts in developing Lucid.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bigpup

#1121 Post by bigpup »

The things a simple bug fix version are bringing to light! :shock:

Thank you Playdayz for making this new version of Lucid Puppy possible :D

And from us the users.
Thanks to you all, who are feeding the fixes to Playdayz!!!!!!!!!!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pemasu

#1122 Post by pemasu »

I also want to thank Playdayz of this huge work which has been more than just plain update.

Also giving people some more time has revealed many things which need attention.

Thank you of all your hard work.

str4y

Re: Man command - A fix?

#1123 Post by str4y »

Snail wrote:Sorry, this is a bit of a "thread hijack" but because I first raised the issue here I thought it might be an acceptable way of catching the eye of some "gun" script coder to properly finish what seems as if it should be a very simple fix, if only I could get my head around BASH.
I hear ya.. I was reared on BASIC, FORTRAN, Pascal (the best to learn 1ST actually) and then K&R C -- none of which are anything near as cryptic as BASH! But lately I've been delving in.
Snail wrote: However, the recent, evil habit of Flash making the browser spew ..
Yet another in the long line of things wrong with Flash.. I'm rather dismayed that at some point in recent Pups, a dialog comes up and recommends its automated retrieval of some recent Flash, as there needs to be equal time/thought given to the alternative, HTML5 in conjunction with Ogg video, which does all the same things but are open source and don't inexplicably eat up all your processor and overheat your innocent hardware. Yes, this is a subject for other threads that I don't have time to search for now, but I figured I may as well add on to the already typically sprawling thread here.
Snail wrote: No one has responded to this thread yet so I Googled and hacked /usr/bin/pman by adding

Code: Select all

2>null &
to the last line. The line now reads:

Code: Select all

exec $HTMLVIEWER "http://www.google.com/search?&q=man+"${NAME}"+site:linux.die.net&btnI=Search" 2>null &
Here's where my hackles are raised.. from my oldschool UNIX past, one of the 1st things I find myself doing in a linux is typing man <something> at the CLI. So I've always been bummed that Puppy basically just cut it all out, leaving the duties to the --help arg. And being homeless, I infrequently have net access and find bothersome this always-connected presumption that goes on (along the lines of the phoning-home liberties taken by so many thuggish software makers) .. it would be just as simple to just queue everything needed from the net, so that one's needed docs and packages could be dutifully gotten upon connection (upon notification to and approval from the user.) So this is now a ranting on about the PPM as well-- what you get when you type 70wpm and have pent up issues! Also important is the fact that Google is shaping up to be quite the Big Brother entity, the reason for which I don't use them-- (and they even have the gall to use "do no evil" as a PR phrase, swell.) How about a defaultsearchengine file which I can set to https://duckduckgo.com (or should I even trust them?)

What I would really like to see is incorporation of ttuuxxx's version of man, which he posted in a .pet (in wow-i-forget-what thread and it's hard to search on such a generic word..).. it's the closest to the old, locally-served man page functionality of my old UNIX V world..

Thanks for all the continuing work on this great distro!
--
www.playogg.org - politics I can agree with: stallman.org

rerwin

#1124 Post by rerwin »

To whomever maintains pupradio:

I selected "WA-FM Karratha", which paused awhile and then played well. I listened maybe half a minute. But when I checked the xerrs.log I discovered over a hundred thousand error messages from it! Here iis the edited log:
(gtkdialog3:13718): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8566e70'
killall: xmessage: no process killed
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://audio.wafm.com.au/.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://audio.wafm.com.au/
Resolving audio.wafm.com.au for AF_INET...
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 1755...
connection timeout
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 80...
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 80...
Cache size set to 64 KBytes

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)

[ REPEATED 44722 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)

Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)

[ REPEATED 60598 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)
ASF file format detected.
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
Clip info:
title: wafm
comments: Todays Best Mix Of New Music & Rock
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/4.17% (ratio: 8001->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
==========================================================================
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:524708.3 (145:45:08.3) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) ??,?% 3% [J

[ REPEATED 653 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A:524725.4 (145:45:25.4) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) 9.7% 12% [J

MPlayer interrupted by signal 15 in module: play_audio
A:524725.4 (145:45:25.4) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) 9.7% 12% [J

Exiting... (Quit)
killall: xmessage: no process killed
Fortunately, the log is in /tmp, so does not fill up the pupsave file. But eventually /tmp will run out of space and cause who-knows-what. Maybe it's not a showstopper for lupu, but is definitely user-unfriendly, if it locks things up. This is to get this behavior "on the record".
Richard

bigpup

#1125 Post by bigpup »

To whomever maintains pupradio:
That would be 01micko.
YaPI(any iso installer)

DaveS

#1126 Post by DaveS »

Here is a great theme: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 484#549484 (includes .pet to download).

Includes matching GTK and JWM themes. Will get on Openbox shortly :)

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

#1127 Post by bigpup »

5.2.6rc
Frugal + save file

Just noticed something.
Idle not doing anything.
Every few seconds the hard drive light comes on and goes out.
Could Puppy Event Manager be causing this?

Edit:
Does seem to have an affect if turned off.
Attachments
Puppy event manager.jpg
(66.12 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#1128 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:To whomever maintains pupradio:

I selected "WA-FM Karratha", which paused awhile and then played well. I listened maybe half a minute. But when I checked the xerrs.log I discovered over a hundred thousand error messages from it! Here iis the edited log:
[snip]

Fortunately, the log is in /tmp, so does not fill up the pupsave file. But eventually /tmp will run out of space and cause who-knows-what. Maybe it's not a showstopper for lupu, but is definitely user-unfriendly, if it locks things up. This is to get this behavior "on the record".
Richard
Thanks for heads-up Richard

It seems to be an mplayer issue. I could send the output of mplayer (stdout and stderr) to /dev/null as a "fix". Onto it.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#1129 Post by Sage »

Pupradio:
- had endless problems with it, but very difficult to quantify as drop-outs, etc can also be due to the InterWeb, ISP and some stations. Gotradio.com seems fireproof and, for Brits (coming soon - the world), BBC iPlayer. Midori seems more stable and reliable with streaming content, Mozilla offerings least so. Pundits predict that all broadcasting will eventually be IP. Frankly, despite the cuts, repeats and jingles imposed by government and arty-farty 'executives', man-with-short-wave-radio tuned to WorldService will remain king for the forseeable. For Africa, James Dyson gave them wind-up and solar radio. [Whatever happened to the wind-up PC? And solar-powered ARM devices could well be viable?] Apart from which, the pictures are better on radio...

Atle

This is such great news

#1130 Post by Atle »

Updated Lucid? Best news since Lucid came.

Just have a little suggestion. In various places around the forum, you can find links to various VERY useful .pet(?), like the one that lets you use your Ethernet to share your Wlan connection and also the one that gives you Hiawatha/PHP/MySQL in one pacage. I bet here are others that can mention several more of these "hidden treasures" in Puppy Forum.

So the suggestion is... Could one add another "tab" to QuickPet, whereas some of these very smart and useful .pet's can be "collected" and come to use?

I feel a bit sorry for those that are missing out on this stuff, and if I need them, I need to search and search in the forum.

Here is my two favorites:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37520

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58982

I am under the impression that the QuickPet, would be by far more awesome, if these Pets where organized and presented???

Any one agree :lol: