Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1051 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone know who made the gtk2 theme Stardust? It is a well-behaved theme and attractive enough to use in itself, but I am wondering how feasible it would be to change the blue to gold as in E17-gtk (or orange as in Deep Thought) I think it would be possible to use gimp and change the hue of the png's in /usr/share/themes/Stardust. Not trivial but possible..

The E17-gtk gold looked good imho, but it did not do some things I expect of a theme. Deep Thought is dynamite, also I would use it in a minute, but it throws "warnings" into xerrs.log on some basic gtk programs.

Stardust, Gradient Gray, and Polished Blue are the only themes I have found that seem to play well with Puppy. I am very picky I guess.

Please feel free to link to your favorite. Thanks.

<add. But the more I use stardust the better I like it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes Bigpup. It's a feature ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1052 Post by playdayz »

Another question: Do we need gecko-mediaplayer? That is, does anyone watch wmv, divx, rm, qt, *in their browser*? It seems that everything Iw atch in a browser is played by flashplayer--I watch those other formats in a media player.

aarf

#1053 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:Another question: Do we need gecko-mediaplayer? That is, does anyone watch wmv, divx, rm, qt, *in their browser*? It seems that everything Iw atch in a browser is played by flashplayer--I watch those other formats in a media player.
recall cctv from china using something that wouldnt play in long past puppies. Think it was cctv9, cctv4, or xinhua using wmv. Cant check now am on my gprs phone.

bigpup

#1054 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Does anyone know who made the gtk2 theme Stardust?
It was made by zigbert as part of his Stardust derivative of Puppy.
Example:
Puppy Stardust 003
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50734
Puppy Stardust 005
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51377
Puppy Stardust 009
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52286

He made 13 versions of Stardust Puppy.
Not sure which one had what themes.
The links I posted have a link to the next version in the first post in the topic.

Found this theme
Stardust gtk-theme 0.5
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16203

Example:
Attachments
H20-gtk2-saphire.jpg
(48.98 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

aarf

#1055 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:
playdayz wrote:Another question: Do we need gecko-mediaplayer? That is, does anyone watch wmv, divx, rm, qt, *in their browser*? It seems that everything Iw atch in a browser is played by flashplayer--I watch those other formats in a media player.
recall cctv from china using something that wouldnt play in long past puppies. Think it was cctv9, cctv4, or xinhua using wmv. Cant check now am on my gprs phone.
here is a wmv video from the past.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/v ... 346950.htm
xinhua is a massive audience. haven't check for recent usage.

ASRI éducation

Re: Right clicks again

#1056 Post by ASRI éducation »

Snail wrote:...I really think that you should think seriously about deleting all files from the SendTo directory. and deleting Open-With from the menu. The work that Pemasu and Don570 have done makes every file type have all the appropriately implemented utilities available immediately on right click. Open with is another click deeper and repeats the contents of the appropriate mime-type subdirectory, which you have just passed by, and then lists a further collection of choices, which are either totally inappropriate, or are a repetition of what is in the top part of the list....
Hello Snail,
I am not convinced by this proposal.

1 - you propose to destroy the files in the 'SendTo', but this folder contains nothing, it's just a shortcut to OpenWith.

2 - You proposes to remove the 'Open with' menu on the Rox. However, using 'Customise' OpenWith is easy to configure for a novice, which can add additional shortcuts. I do not think that changing the folder 'mime-type subdirectory' is accessible to novice users.

Cheers,

pemasu

#1057 Post by pemasu »

I am not sure if /usr/local/apps has extract-deb folder. I havent included it in my right clicks package. Right click Extract-deb depends on that folder, and also /usr/bin/Extract-Debian script.

Anyway, to be sure, I uploaded right clicks to have them.
Attachments
Right-click-4.9.6-6-luci.pet
(92.21 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

pemasu

#1058 Post by pemasu »

I believe also that Open with folder in right click is good place for easy adding your favourite applications which you have added to base distro.

I have used it with my applications also to quickly have extra right click open with customatizations.

I would leave it as it is. That Open with is easy to use with trial and error.

Adding new mime-types is not that easy always. First you need to check what is the mime type from /usr/share/mine/globs. Then you need to check that it has mime association in /root/Choices/MIME-types and third, you need to create associated /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith folder to have right click you want. And check references in /usr/local/apps. And possibly create new /usr/local/apps open with folder with right stuff inside including .DirIcon and chase that icon path also.

It is quite hassle that way. Laziness easily takes place and you just drag DOTdesktop file to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith folder to have that right click Open with easily done. It works that way also when you just rename DOTdesktop file to have just application name and that way you get icon connected also easily.

Snail

Man command - A fix?

#1059 Post by Snail »

Sorry, this is a bit of a "thread hijack" but because I first raised the issue here I thought it might be an acceptable way of catching the eye of some "gun" script coder to properly finish what seems as if it should be a very simple fix, if only I could get my head around BASH.

I noted that the problems with the man command were general to Puppy and, looking at the comments in the pman script, they probably have been there since the beginning. However, the recent, evil habit of Flash making the browser spew extraneous error measures, into xerrs.log, where they do no real harm, and into the console, where it is just horrible, annoyed me to the extent of starting a bug thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 857#548857

No one has responded to this thread yet so I Googled and hacked /usr/bin/pman by adding

Code: Select all

2>null &
to the last line. The line now reads:

Code: Select all

exec $HTMLVIEWER "http://www.google.com/search?&q=man+\"${NAME}\"+site:linux.die.net&btnI=Search" 2>null &
This works just fine as far as I have tested but it's not a finished job. Can someone spend a few minutes looking at this please.

ASRI éducation

#1060 Post by ASRI éducation »

pemasu wrote:I am not sure if /usr/local/apps has extract-deb folder
The extract-deb script is present in lucid526, but the association by right-clicking is not ok.
If I right click on a .deb, the context menu does not propose to use extract-deb.

pemasu

#1061 Post by pemasu »

Okay. then the latest right click update fixes that problem. It has that /usr/local/apps/extract-deb folder with associated stuff inside.

ASRI éducation

#1062 Post by ASRI éducation »

pemasu wrote:Okay. then the latest right click update fixes that problem. It has that /usr/local/apps/extract-deb folder with associated stuff inside.
Excellent !

playdayz

#1063 Post by playdayz »

VDPAU RIP!!!

Well, hopefully ;-) As pemasu said the problem seemed to be caused by flashplayer. Also as pemasu said it was possible to set the flashplayer configs so that the problem did not occur. The way I did it was to play a youtube video, right-click, Setting, untick Hardware Acceleration. This also fromt he forum, I am sorry i can't remember who at the moment. Then I used the config file in /root/.macromedia as part of the iso. Works for me.

Other progress. For those who might have missed it, it looks like we have the usb fix *and* the /dev/null fix in order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

pemasu, Has right-click been installed correctly on the last couple of devel releases. Just checking. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Hogweed

#1064 Post by Hogweed »

Been using Lupu 5.2 (with update 1) since it came out and have tested 5.26RC on multiseesion DVD - seems fine.

Wondering whether to try a frugal upgrade of my 5.2 config. Can someone tell me what exactly a frugal upgrade of the personal save file does? Does it just change a version number or does it attempt to detect if newer versions are installed by the upgrades than I might have in my personal files (or older versions installed over my savefile updates)?

A quick search suggests there might be problems but I'm not clear if these are unusual exceptions or the norm.

Obviously I would back up my 1G save file first but I'm just wondering what to expect from a frugal upgrade from 5.2 to 5.2.6

Also can I then just upgrade from 5.2.6RC to the final release?

Or am I better just to do a fresh installation and reinstall/migrate what I need. Sorry for these simple questions but I've never upgraded before and am just wondering what to expect.
Last edited by Hogweed on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1065 Post by pemasu »

Well. almost everything inside it matters. /usr/local/apps folders are also important. Most right clicks are symlinks to that location and /usr/local/apps is the place where really all the application launching happens. I have tried to purify right clicks so that there is only symlinks left to that /usr/local/apps.
So...in the future, you just creat more /usr/local/apps folders and symlink them back to Open With.
SendTo should be only symlink.

Then there is /usr/bin which has a lot right click applications also. they extract pets and debs and so on....

Also there are those folders which has don570 stuff. I havent touched them.

Overall, you will break the working framework if you dont install all folders.

About that pinstall.sh script. I think that my purification of symlinks has made it quite unneeded. There should not be anymore leftover symlinks left if you start from the fresh build.

That pinstall.sh is also don570 created script. I havent added anything into it. There hasnt been any need.

playdayz

#1066 Post by playdayz »

Well. almost everything inside it matters.
Thanks pemasu, I decided that was a bad idea I had ;-) As long as it has been installing correctly, that is alI I as worried about. I am about to build with the version 6 you posted. Thanks.

pemasu

#1067 Post by pemasu »

Don570 created pinstall.sh script has been done properly with woof building in mind.
He has planned that his right click pet is used with new builds.
So...what I understand there is everywhere pointing to the working directory so that the changes which it made happens in woof directory.

ASRI éducation

#1068 Post by ASRI éducation »

@ playdayz
In talking to Bert, he taught me that the version of mplayer gnome was not the same between 266 and 526.
266 => 1.0.4 gnome mplayer
526rc => 1.0.3 gnome mplayer
What is the reason for this change in version?
Cheers,

playdayz

#1069 Post by playdayz »

@ playdayz
In talking to Bert, he taught me that the version of mplayer gnome was not the same between 266 and 526.
266 => 1.0.4 gnome mplayer
526rc => 1.0.3 gnome mplayer
What is the reason for this change in version?
The pursuit of the elusive vdpau message was the basic reason. It seemed that 1.0.3 did not generate that message, but 1.0.4 did, so I reverted. I have learned more and the version I am currently building has 1.0.4 again.
Don570 created pinstall.sh script has been done properly with woof building in mind.
pemasu, I have it installed and it is looking good. Thanks for putting up with me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the last question, wouldn't that be great? Does anyone know why there are two instances of pfbpanel running and one of fbpanel? I am not saying it is an error or even that it needs fixing, just curious. It has not presented any problem I am aware of. Thanks.
someone asked why the enxt version will be 5.2.7 instead of 5.2.6 rc2.
Because the way we do it, there is already a lupu-526 on the loose--hopefully only among us testers. But for safety the next will be 5.2.7. We allowed for that, just in case ;-)

DaveS

#1070 Post by DaveS »

Certainly, one of those instances of pfbpanel will be left over from the fixmenus script run from the startup folder.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!