Puppy asks for a login name and password

Booting, installing, newbie
ikabod

Puppy asks for a login name and password

#1 Post by ikabod »

i made a live cd. worked fine with a windows xp machine in my office. tried it last night on my compaq armada 300. but puppy is asking me for a login name and password as it boots!

cant seem to get around it....

HEEEELLLLP!

PaulosWalkeros

I'm with you! (in the stew)!

#2 Post by PaulosWalkeros »

I'm with you! (in the stew)!
Someone out there please help us! I'm a bit frustrated about this; off to bed.
Last edited by PaulosWalkeros on Tue 28 Mar 2006, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Let's start with asking which version of Puppy you're using and which boot option you're using, if any. Then, how far does it get before it asks for the password?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

burn again

#4 Post by Lobster »

It is an improper burn
check md5sum
burn again, use lowest burn speed available for reliability

http://rhinoweb.us/
1. Download the most current Puppy Linux iso file.

2. Install BurnCDCC. How to install BurnCDCC using Windows Video (2,763Kb)

3. Burn the iso image using BurnCDCC. How to burn the iso image using Burn CDCC Video (1,631Kb)

4. Insert your new Puppy disk into to CD Drive and reboot the computer.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Or insufficient memory.
This question comes around regularly, almost weekly, so every conceivable fix has been described. Watch out for proprietary boxes with shared video memory.

PaulosWalkeros

I have the same issue with my laptop computer...

#6 Post by PaulosWalkeros »

I have the same issue with my laptop computer... I have an HP pavilion laptop with 256Meg memory. I followed all the directions which Lobster quoted using CDCC. Shouldn't 256MB do for RAM (Sage)?

How do I check md5sum? I'll try a reburn, then a re-download - ie. iff you reckon it really has a chance of working.

Thanks for your feed back folks.

I couldn't see this issue in the Frequent Questions session or in the beginners' forum apart from ikabod's question here. If it comes up weekly, can we post a set of responses somewhere?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

How do I check md5sum?
if you have Puppy running, you can open an rxvt console/terminal window, and type

md5sum puppy-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso

it should display the correct md5sum ... the md5sum on the ibiblio server seems to be incorrect, i think it should be:

8d294e1f060b898d371704223a950387

if you have Puppy running, you can check whether the cd burned properly by running this program:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7074

256 megs should be enough ram for Puppy to run

an older cpu that is incompatible with Puppy could cause this problem, or other hardware that is not compatible with Puppy, like a cd drive that doesn't work well with Puppy's drivers

usually, this is either because the password files in /etc are actually missing or corrupted, or because those files seem to be missing or corrupted because Puppy can't read them properly (for example, they have not been copied to ram properly, or the ram is defective or too small)

also, see:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7074

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Please can someone get this started with this information ;)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommonProblems
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PaulosWalkeros

#9 Post by PaulosWalkeros »

guest too: I don't have puppy running though, so the little accessory didn't work for me. I'll keep it for when I do get it running. Thank you.
I re-burned the CD with CDCC, on 2x (instead of the best available speed) but same problem occurred. It seems to just all install, then the text says

"registering unionfs 1.0.4.... .... done"
then it comes up with "Password: " I have guessed "root" or my name, or xyz; all to no avail. Then it comes up with "Login incorrect" ... then " (none) Login:
Login timed out after 60seconds"

I'll try to re-down load next.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: I have the same issue with my laptop computer...

#10 Post by Flash »

PaulosWalkeros wrote:<---> Thanks for your feed back folks.

I couldn't see this issue in the Frequent Questions session or in the beginners' forum apart from ikabod's question here. If it comes up weekly, can we post a set of responses somewhere?
There doesn't seem to be one answer. Some people have reported that the cause was a corrupt pup001 file that Puppy found when it booted. Deleting the file, or changing its name so Puppy doesn't recognize it, allowed Puppy to boot. Other times the cause was apparently something else. I suspect that most of the time when someone solves the "login password" problem he doesn't bother to report the cause.

If I knew of several proven causes I would post a poll to see which ones were the most commonly encountered and how they were resolved.

rankinreb

#11 Post by rankinreb »

I'm getting the same thing, although, in my case i would belive the low ram idea. Running on an old Dell LT, XPi CD p150 w/ its max ram of 48 megs. It wont boot from CD so using BOOT2PUP to get it this far. In my case i don't think it is a bad burn, works on an XP box inside of Virt PC w/o any problems. This is the last line i get before it ask for the password.

Registering unionfs 1.0.14 done

Password:

If i let it sit there it will time out @ 60 sec and ask for the PW again.
Ver 1.0.8r1-mozilla
boot2pup posted here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52

I'm going through all of 'cause the HDD died in it a few years back and i'm just knocking the dust off of it till i get a new one

Ed_P

#12 Post by Ed_P »

This is why people get turned off my Linux. They download something, they try it, and immediately run into a brick wall.

I had the same problem. New user, no upgrade, downloaded a file named puppy-multisession-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso, ran it in QEMU 0.7, after the 2nd Enter response the looping Password prompt started. Basic QEMU environment was 128MB. I increased the RAM to 256 and the problem went away.

Puppy's RAM requirement should be tested for and a clear error msg issued if it's inadequate rather than letting it fall into a loop. imo

Right now it's looping on a non-existent sound card.
Ed

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Can't see any cause for complaint - I gave the answer above: more memory and avoid shared memory unless there's a swap file/partition. That's the way Puppy works - it's all described in the extensive web descriptions. Americans, in particular, have just got to learn to stop buying proprietary boxes. The proverbial child of six could screw together a modern clone PC from a NewEgg bundle - even without an instruction leaflet. Time to wake up, switch on brain, and dispose of GWB and his capitalist cronies who are intent on destroying all pretence of decent education for the proletariat in expectation giving them the freedom to fritter away all their hard-earned.

Ed_P

#14 Post by Ed_P »

The Puppy concept has merit. But the statement displayed on the opening page of puppylinux.com is wrong. "to load totally into RAM the PC must have either 128M RAM" The machine needs double that amount of RAM to boot. I tried 128MB it looped. I tried 192MB it still failed. If the webpage is updated to reflect what is really required there will be less frustration and less questions.

FWIW My machine is custom built. But imo a version of Linux that needs more than 64MB RAM is unusual and one that loops booting rather than giving a valid error msg is even more rare.
Ed

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

I think people are running Puppy with 128 MB of Ram, though the minimum I have tried is 256 MB. Anyway didn't Barry say he traced the cause of the problem to something to do with mounting and fixed it in Puppy2? Or was that some other problem?

Ed_P

#16 Post by Ed_P »

Flash wrote:I think people are running Puppy with 128 MB of Ram, though the minimum I have tried is 256 MB. Anyway didn't Barry say he traced the cause of the problem to something to do with mounting and fixed it in Puppy2? Or was that some other problem?
I had not heard that and look forward to Puppy2. :)
Ed

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

128Mb is the bottom line - read the blurb. After that, even the smallest swap file or partition will be detected and used by Puppy, enabling mem down to 32Mb to work. If only folk would stop using cr*p proprietary boxes with shared main memory. What does it take to get the message out??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed_P

#18 Post by Ed_P »

128Mb is the bottom line - read the blurb.
Never mind reading the blurb, it's wrong. Set up a machine with 128MB and try it. Use QEMU like I did, set it for 128MB of RAM, Puppy loops. No shared video, no swap file, no hard drive and no go. If I get a chance I'll try it with 128MB of RAM and a 128MB vdisk maybe then Puppy will boot. But as it stands now, unless I set up a virtual machine with 256MB of RAM, Puppy loops.

If you need help setting up a QEMU test environment let me know.
Ed

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Uh, guys, does this help ikabod solve his problem of Puppy asking for a password?

Sage: seems like every time someone posts a problem you assert it's because of their crappy hardware. That's not exactly what Puppy is about, is it?

Ed_P: isn't Qemu a program to emulate a PC from within another OS? Unless you are willing to claim it is bug-free, then possibly it does not exactly emulate a PC.

Is anyone running Puppy on a (real) computer with only 128 MB of RAM?

presto

#20 Post by presto »

I run Puppy 1.0.7 on a Compaq laptop with 90 MB RAM and no swap partition. It runs fine.