Using mtPaint to crop/shrink screenshots

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Whusmaname

#1 Post by Whusmaname »

I don't know how I went off topic, but the thread had been solved for a while (By page 2 of 4 @ 15 posts per page, actually), so I thought I'd send a message to an admin or something to get that thread locked...

Now, where were we in the conversation... Ah, yes... cropping screenshots of your problem for other forum members to help... what can MTpaint do for YOU?
Of course I will lead the Horde... as long as I get to do it from upwind... 'cos they frickin' REEK!!!

Rogue rules:
[list=1][*]Pillage, [u]THEN[/u] burn.
[*]If it ain't bolted down, then it's [b]fair game[/b].[/list]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Just a reminder.

Case 1 uploading a picture to the forum.
If > 600 pixels wide, a download link is created.
If < 600 pixels wide it is displayed in the post.
One can rescale with f.e. mtPaint to have a picture of max 600 pixels.

Case 2 embedded pictures.
In order to have a correct display of the thread for people with small monitors, the picture may not exceed 600 pixels in width.
So a rescale is needed for larger pictures.

Case 3
Host the picture an one of the numerous sites for this and provide the link.

HTH
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Whusmaname

#3 Post by Whusmaname »

Thanks, Béèm. That info is quite helpful.

If you want to edit your screenshot so it blurs out the info that's not needed by the people helping you (or you plan on putting it in an online photo album site and wish to have the details you don't want shared blacked out, etc...), how would you do it on mtpaint, Béèm? Or do you use another editing program?
I still use Photoshop, because I don't want to overtax my laptop, but I guess I could use mtpaint while it's still on the source machine... maybe save it to the flashdrive, then take it across to edit more before sending it to Photobucket so that I'm not wasting the site's hosting space.
Of course I will lead the Horde... as long as I get to do it from upwind... 'cos they frickin' REEK!!!

Rogue rules:

harii4

#4 Post by harii4 »

You might get help faster if the "Thread title" was about the "subject".
like "mtpaint cropping help" :D [Edit by admin: I changed the title - Flash.]

If you want something more powerful like Photoshop - try gimp or gimpshop.
it has blur.

P.S. like your Signature :)

Rogue rules:

1. Pillage, THEN burn.
2. If it ain't bolted down, then it's fair game.
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

Cropping is easy with mtPaint. With a picture loaded, place cursor somewhere on picture, hold down left mouse key, size desired picture portion, click "image", click "crop", click "file", click "save as", blah, blah.

For info on smudging/redacting, seriously consider RTFM: The mtPaint Handbook
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Whusmaname

#6 Post by Whusmaname »

@ alienjeff: Thanks for the link to mtpaint's man pages... that'll go down a storm for those who really need it. (Like I said, I don't want to overtax my old laptop with only 16megs of RAM, so I'm using Photoshop on my dualcore machine)

@ harii4: I didn't put that as the title because I wasn't really asking a question, I was starting/continuing an off-topic conversation. (Thanks anyway, Flash.) I suppose the title of this thread can stay as it is because it'll help those who do need the info that is/will be included in this conversation.

As for my signature, I used to have the same signature on a different forum-website, where I'd linked the definition of "upwind" to the word in my siggie, and I also had a third rule: "Rules are meant to be broken", but I ran out of characters when putting it in. (Sorry, off-topic again, I know...)

Rogue rules:

L18L

#7 Post by L18L »

png screenshots can be reduced in size if using
Convert to Indexed and reducing number of colors. :)

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

One can rescale with f.e. mtPaint to have a picture of max 600 pixels.

good to know thanks. I change it to jpeg to make a 1.5 MB less than 50 kb something but the quality looks bad. What is the most easy way to get decent such that get shown?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

harii4

#9 Post by harii4 »

with only 16megs of RAM - i would use something simple like Xpaint.
Xpaint is a basic graphics program that allows you to create original diagrams or graphics, and to do basic cut and paste collage.
Old school puppy app. 8)
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

aarf

#10 Post by aarf »

Pupsnap solves all the problems and is much faster it is in lupu528

`f00

#11 Post by `f00 »

@nooby - Yes, jpg is iffy at times for screenies (compression artefacts, mostly).

One way around this is to use mtpaint's quantize function to reduce/customize the palette of an original png screenie to a more relevant selection of colors and then finally save the result as jpg after all editing is done - reducing the palette tends to help keep the usual jpg artefacts (look like color static blips or sometimes tinted halos) to a minimum.. text almost always suffers in jpg format.

The handbook is definitely a great all-in-one resource to have (sometimes you can 'discover' bits on your own, but that's often just point/click/observe luck ;) ).

If you use wine, there's also some alternate proggies like irfanview and fscap (faststone's nice little picker/editor/etc) that may appeal for special purposes like labels and such.

hth :)

gcmartin

#12 Post by gcmartin »

If you want to edit your screenshot so it blurs out the info that's not needed use the SMUDGE tool

Hope this helps

benali72

xPaint reduces photo sizes

#13 Post by benali72 »

Back when I used Windows, I found that a photo from my camera could be dramatically reduced in size simply by opening it up in Notepad, then saving it. A 4 meg picture might go down to 1 meg, for example.

With Linux I found you can get the same dramatic reduction in size by opening a photo with xPaint then saving it. (There may be other ways too but the xPaint technique works very well and is very quick and simple.)

I should add I'm talking about JPG files here.