Burn CD .iso with programs in place for a read-only setup

Booting, installing, newbie
jukingeo

Burn CD .iso with programs in place for a read-only setup

#1 Post by jukingeo »

Hello All,

I am looking to put together a Puppy .iso that has programs on it so I could have a set-up that is read only.

Basically what would like to do is have fixed setup that can be put on multiple computers. Basically this is a project I would like to do for a game room setup in which I would have video games that have their own full computer setup.

I would like to create a setup of Puppy with Wine and the programs that I need. Once setup, I would like to create an .iso of this setup that is bootable from either a compact flash card or USB. I prefer to use a compact flash cards on a IDE/Sata adapter.

The main reason why I would like to go 'read only' is because of the nature of using flash memory. While you can read indefinitely from flash based memory, there is a finite amount of writes you can do. Thus I would like to eliminate writing from the equation totally. This would increase the life of the flash memory and also it would support a direct power off situation in which my machines could be turned off via a power switch instead of doing a proper computer shut down.

I have tested the programs that I would like to use and all of them I am considering for this project are pretty much read only.

I know that going with an .iso would make changes difficult later on, but since this is an issue of 'repeating' a fixed set up, I know that once I have it up and running, there wouldn't be a need to change it much.

So my main question is how I would set this up. Do I first do a full install to a CF card, add what I need and then once everything is set, can it to an .iso? Or do I have to do it differently?

Thank You,

Geo

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This is probably what you want to do.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52596
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

It wouldn't have to be an iso image or a cd disc.

You could modify the files and set them up on USB devices.

The problem I see in having one master would be if all the computers are not identical. If not you could have one mostly master with the main programs and changes, them make modifications on a per computer basis and update the sfs file as needed.

~

jukingeo

#4 Post by jukingeo »

bigpup wrote:This is probably what you want to do.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52596
Thank you, I will read it later on and come back.
Bruce B wrote:It wouldn't have to be an iso image or a cd disc.

You could modify the files and set them up on USB devices.
No, it doesn't have to be burned to a CD-Rom...in fact the end result is that I would like the .iso to reside on a Compact Flash. However, knowing how to make a burnable .iso does have some merit in that I could use a CD-Rom to set up multiple systems, which is one of the goals of my project.
The problem I see in having one master would be if all the computers are not identical.
Yes, I do see that as well. Even though I intend to use identical motherboards now, the trouble is that if I do another project in the future and the current board becomes unavailable, then yes, I would need to make changes.
If not you could have one mostly master with the main programs and changes, them make modifications on a per computer basis and update the sfs file as needed.
~

That would be great, if I can set the the sfs file when to accept writes. Could that be done? In other words could you manually tell the file when to record changes and when not to?

Thank You,

Geo