Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 13:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 31 of 123 [1844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 121, 122, 123 Next
Author Message
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 05:12    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
ok mounted the now renamed second partition on the pussy usb drive with just
Code:

mkdir /mnt/sdb2 
mount /dev/sdb2

and moved some screenshots to it for access from puppy. (still have no internet connection in pussy).

last screenshot is of trying to run this mount script
Code:
#!/bin/ash
mkdir /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null

which also gives essentially the same output if i run it from /usr/bin/


what problem is preventing you from getting an internet connections? what errors etc? if you are getting failed handshaked then open wicd then cl ick preferences then select backend, then ioctl from the list there. This uses a different wireless connection system and i have a toshiba c640 here that needs this enabled to successfully connect to my realtek wireless router, without selecting this option it simply wont connect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 1617
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 07:12    Post subject:  

sickgut wrote:
saintless wrote:
Sickgut, I had a small audio problem. I didn't have sound, but this command fixed it:
Code:
alsactl init

It returned some message for unknown hardware and using guess metod, but it worked.
I found the solution here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39116[url]


@ saintless
can i ask if the alpha had the same problem with the sound?

Hi, sickgut,
I have the same problem on the same PC with alpha version.
I forgot to mension that I could not run "alsactl init" command if i don't run:
Code:
apt-get install alsa


Then the apt-get suggests to install alsa-base and alsa-utils and after I hit enter there is a message one of those two packages is already installed and it is the newest version and the other package ( I think it was alsa-utils) did an upgrade or a new installation. I can install clean alpha or beta version and do this again if you need the exact messages from the terminal.

Best regards!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
aarf

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 3620
Location: around the bend

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 07:45    Post subject:  

sickgut wrote:
what problem is preventing you from getting an internet connections? what errors etc? if you are getting failed handshaked then open wicd then cl ick preferences then select backend, then ioctl from the list there. This uses a different wireless connection system and i have a toshiba c640 here that needs this enabled to successfully connect to my realtek wireless router, without selecting this option it simply wont connect
i dont have the encryption code for the wifi signals that i can see. I cant see where to start a gprs connection dialog. I have dialup-pppoe.zip, network-firmware.zip and wvdial.zip in /addons. Tried usb0 in the networks thing but nothing happened after i did that.
I can find porn ok, even without a pfind equivalent.

_________________

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 08:40    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
sickgut wrote:
what problem is preventing you from getting an internet connections? what errors etc? if you are getting failed handshaked then open wicd then cl ick preferences then select backend, then ioctl from the list there. This uses a different wireless connection system and i have a toshiba c640 here that needs this enabled to successfully connect to my realtek wireless router, without selecting this option it simply wont connect
i dont have the encryption code for the wifi signals that i can see. I cant see where to start a gprs connection dialog. I have dialup-pppoe.zip, network-firmware.zip and wvdial.zip in /addons. Tried usb0 in the networks thing but nothing happened after i did that.
I can find porn ok, even without a pfind equivalent.


Things in the /addons dir of the live media need to be instaled if you want to use them, unzip the package then click the supplied installed script or run: dpkg -R --install *
to install all the debs on the dir.

i have no idea what a gprs connection is and no way of testing dial up in any form so whatever is in the wvdial-pppoe package there is a selection of debs that users in this forum have said they needed to get dialup and pppoe working.

i can only suggest logging into #debian on irc freenode, no doubt someone there can help you and tell you what you need
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
aarf

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 3620
Location: around the bend

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 09:46    Post subject:  

hmmpp you have to install the addons yourself.< mentally knocks pussy wow factor down one notch>
Code:
 root@meow:/live/image/addons# ./dialup-pppoe-install.sh
./dialup-pppoe-install.sh: 2: Syntax error: "(" unexpected


ok almost there. manually got past the above to the connect dialog i was expecting
have to get seamokey.squashsfs now. didnt think i needed it again.
will post screenshots and info later.

ok edited from pussy connected via wvdial. info much later. taking a break.

_________________

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:24    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
hmmpp you have to install the addons yourself.< mentally knocks pussy wow factor down one notch>
Code:
 root@meow:/live/image/addons# ./dialup-pppoe-install.sh
./dialup-pppoe-install.sh: 2: Syntax error: "(" unexpected


ok almost there. manually got past the above to the connect dialog i was expecting
have to get seamokey.squashsfs now. didnt think i needed it again.
will post screenshots and info later.

ok edited from pussy connected via wvdial. info much later. taking a break.


pussy hasnt even got a release candidate yet, we arent even at version 1, and this preview beta isnt even a beta its only a preview, there are going to be things that arent finnished or arent wow factor.

the point of the /addons dir is that you have the option to install them if you need them but if you dont need them they arent in the OS bogging it down, and as far as ease of installing goes its not rocket science to unzip a file then click install, as far as having to install something yourself: even puppies quickpet feature requires you to actually click something and the same for pet files. the /addons dir is included in the iso so that people wanting to use a livecd or usb on a fresh system dont have to download the packages first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
aarf

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 3620
Location: around the bend

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:48    Post subject:  

Note that the addons directory holds extracted debs through reboot. But modifications to /etc/wvdial.conf and the instalation of wvdial itself dont survive. No liverw partition in use.
_________________

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 13:17    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
Note that the addons directory holds extracted debs through reboot. But modifications to /etc/wvdial.conf and the instalation of wvdial itself dont survive. No liverw partition in use.


did you expect your changes to be kept without a save file? where do you think your changes would be saved?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 1617
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 13:22    Post subject:  

Let me just say what is the WOW factor for me in pussy linux.

It took me over a month to make kxstitch and subtitleeditor fully working on puppy linux without damage other programs. Actually I don't know how I did that with the second program. I couldn't make it fully work on clean frugal installation again, but I remastered the first puppy and I saved what I needed.

In pussy linux I did the same for 25-30 minutes. I just had to type two commands in terminal and I still have a small linux, which I can use on a computer with 600 Mhz processor and 128 Mb Ram.

I have my remastered puppy with almost all I need on it and I am happy with it, but it took me a long time to do it.

Pussy linux is different from puppy. I didn't know how to mount drives from command line. This should be a debian and many other linux distros way of doing it. I will learn what I need to use pussy linux as well as I use puppy, because I want to have a small linux with easy way of finding and installing the programs I need and to upgrade newer version when need it. If it was easy for the newbies to do that with puppy as it is with pussy linux, puppy would be the perfect linux I know.

Thank you to you - sickgut, and to you - all puppy developers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 1617
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 18:40    Post subject:  

If someone wants to add different keyboard-layout before the official beta version is ready, here are the commands:

This one will install other keyboard layouts:
Code:
apt-get install keyboards-rg


After that type:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Follow the instructions and choose your layout. BTW you can choose also to exit X with Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 01:26    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
If someone wants to add different keyboard-layout before the official beta version is ready, here are the commands:

This one will install other keyboard layouts:
Code:
apt-get install keyboards-rg


After that type:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Follow the instructions and choose your layout. BTW you can choose also to exit X with Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace.


errr.... WTF dude?
you just solved the keymap issue single handedly, i have been looking into this to no avail.
looks like ill whip up a catroll-panel entry for this
nooby and john3voltas have both found the keymap thing a real problem and im glad we have a solution for this.
Thankyou very much saintless for your input, you have directly contributed to pussy and because of you we can cross "fix keymap issue" off the list, well done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 01:32    Post subject:  

one question for everyone:

does the ACPI work now?

(ACPI is the power management, it controlls things like turning off a laptop display when shut it and turning off HDDs when they arent being used and entering suspend/ sleep etc after a set amount of time....)

because presently my pussy system is a desktop and my other test one is a virtual box i cant really tell is there is any ACPI-ing going on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
aarf

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 3620
Location: around the bend

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 02:34    Post subject:  

put this code
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
exec rox /mnt/sdb2
in a file called say mount-drives.sh into /addons
(give it these permissions in attached image.)
click it and it will open sdb2 in rox. it is also persistent through reboot without liverw partition. you can do this above from within pussy itself.
2011-10-23_800x480_scrot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   23.94 KB
 Viewed   475 Time(s)

2011-10-23_800x480_scrot.png


_________________

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
aarf

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 3620
Location: around the bend

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 02:44    Post subject:  

after click unpacking and installing /drive/addons/dialup-pppoe.zip and /drive/addons/wvdial.zip
modified to exactly this is as my /etc/wvdial.conf
Code:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
  Phone = *99***1#
  Password = <Your Password>
  Username = <Your Login Name>

remember to remove the ; from the beginning of the last three lines.

then wvdial in a terminal will connect grps and i suppose 3G too. look something like this when it is already connected
Code:
root@meow:~# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99***1#
~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }4}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&y'gy![03]~
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }4}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&y'gyk>~
--> PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Oct 23 13:25:51 2011
--> Pid of pppd: 3323
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> local  IP address 54.299.17.117
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> remote IP address 11.84.60.64
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> primary   DNS address 167.178.59.10
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½
--> secondary DNS address 167.178.59.26
--> pppd: `¸½ È»½

ctrl+c will disconnect

_________________

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>

Last edited by aarf on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 02:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sickgut


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1157
Location: Tasmania, Australia in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 02:53    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
put this code
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2 2>/dev/null
exec rox /mnt/sdb2
in a file called say mount-drives.sh into /addons
(give it these permissions in attached image.)
click it and it will open sdb2 in rox. it is also persistent through reboot without liverw partition. you can do this above from within pussy itself.


thanks for your input aarf its much apreciated, ill learn about this and what it all means when i start work on pussy again

well done all of you for looking into the solutions for stuff, since pussy has come to these forums its been you guys who have been adding onto pussy and improving it by supplying all these solutions to stuff, i ts really you guys here that are building the next pussy.

thanks once again aarf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 31 of 123 [1844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 121, 122, 123 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1074s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0146s) ][ GZIP on ]