Which puppy for my eeePC?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
r3bol

Which puppy for my eeePC?

#1 Post by r3bol »

I have a eeePC 4G (I think it's a 700/701 model) that looks exactly like this...

Which puppy do you recommend for installation? I will be mostly surfing the web via wifi and watching ripped movies.

Thanks.

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

this is witch puppy.
latest http://puppeee.com/files/puppeee4.4rc2/

but luci and spup are later and fine too.
dont overwrite your xandros sometimes (rarely) you will need to wifi connect in it before your wifi will work again in puppy. sdcard installs are fine.
also be aware that some eeepc70x models have defective sdcard reader which destroy sdcards. and wont write files over 35mb. for these need to use sd only not sdhc cards but still be careful. external usb plugged sdcard readers are cheap for when you need to write big files.

r3bol

#3 Post by r3bol »

ok, so I went for the puppeee4.4-RC2celeron.zip because that's what the older models used.

Could you tell me what eee_devx_514.sfs is? It was in the same directory.

Thanks.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

The devx files are for compiling in puppy and puppeee. If you don't have any need to compile anything, most people don't, don't worry about it.

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

just unzip and copy the contents of the zip file to a folder eg

/mnt/sda2/ puppeeerc2/
or
/mnt/sdb1/puppeeerc2b1

then edit /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/menu.lst
to include

Code: Select all

# Boot automatically after 3 second.
timeout=3

title puppeeerc2 on sdb1
root (hd1,0)
kernel /puppeeerc2b1/vmlinuz   psubdir=puppeeerc2b1 pfix=fsck
initrd /puppeeerc2b1/initrd.gz

title puppeeerc2 on sda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /puppeeerc2/vmlinuz   psubdir=puppeeerc2 pfix=fsck
initrd /puppeeerc2/initrd.gz

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

If you do frugal install you can also easily try out Snow Puppy.
pemasu the Developer of Snow reuse the drivers that works for Asus and similar small computers. I use it on an Acer D250 and Snow are based on Lucid Puppy 525 so it is as easy to use but have other software programs chosen so it can be good to try out all the suggested puppies so you find something that you like.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

r3bol

#7 Post by r3bol »

I'm having some problems with the 4.4rc install. I would like to try 4.3 with UnetBootin, but I can't find the download link. I found something called current-stable-celeron.asc but I've no idea what that is.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Which puppy for my eeePC?

#8 Post by Moose On The Loose »

r3bol wrote:I have a eeePC 4G (I think it's a 700/701 model) that looks exactly like this...

Which puppy do you recommend for installation? I will be mostly surfing the web via wifi and watching ripped movies.

Thanks.
For what you are doing pupeee is most likely the best. For other things I found that there were way too many things about it that didn't work right so I put 431 on. It appears that when they made pupeee they took out a bunch of library files so that some of the pets I wanted to install didn't work. They also are using a different kernel so things written so that they need a specific kernel don't work.

headfound

#9 Post by headfound »

I have the same model and use puppeee.
I've got the main files in a folder in the root of the ssd and changed the menu.lst file (in the boot/grub folder) to boot it. My save file is on an sd card.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

laika

#10 Post by laika »

Take a look at puppymartin's BrowerLinux 366. It boots to a nice uncluttered
desktop, and wireless connection works with
no problems on the eee. More recent BrowserLinux may work, I just haven't
tried.

jemimah's puppeee is customized for the eee. I like using it withe
Netbook-Launcher on the desktop. Everything "just works" with puppeee.

aarf

#11 Post by aarf »

r3bol wrote:I'm having some problems with the 4.4rc install.
just had a look and yes it is not so straight forward to do the install i suggested from within xandros. puppeee website has install suggestions. or if you can get puppeee onto a usb stick or sdcard from a comptuer that has a cd, boot from that media, then you can do the install i suggested from within a puppy environment. holding down the Esc key during startup will allow you to boot from external media.
UnetBootin, cant help you never used it.
Attachments
snapshot1.png
(97.38 KiB) Downloaded 3207 times
Last edited by aarf on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.

r3bol

#12 Post by r3bol »

Just tried with BrowerLinux 366, but having some problems with what looks like corrupted graphics. You can kind of make out boxes and buttons, but that's about all. Just looking now to see if there is something i can change in the boot options.

r3bol

#13 Post by r3bol »

aarf wrote:
just had a look and yes it is not so straight forward to do the install i suggested from within xandros. puppeee website has install suggestions. or if you can get puppeee onto a usb stick or sdcard from a comptuer that has a cd, boot from that media, then you can do the install i suggested from within a puppy environment. holding down the Esc key during startup will allow you to boot from external media.
I don't actually have xandros installed so I couldn't try to install puppeee that way. I also don't have Windows so I can't install 4.4rc with the usb creator (only for windows). My best bet it to get BrowerLinux 366 working correctly i think. :wink:

aarf

#14 Post by aarf »

r3bol wrote:
aarf wrote:
I don't actually have xandros installed so I couldn't try to install puppeee that way. I also don't have Windows so I can't install 4.4rc with the usb creator (only for windows). My best bet it to get BrowerLinux 366 working correctly i think. :wink:
in that case i think
if you can get puppeee onto a usb stick or sdcard from a comptuer that has a cd, boot from that media, then you can do the install i suggested from within a puppy environment. holding down the Esc key during startup will allow you to boot from external media.
is the easiest route (if you have another computer, or compliant internet cafe handy. )
however i dont know anything about BrowerLinux 366

laika

#15 Post by laika »

r3bol wrote:Just tried with BrowerLinux 366, but having some problems with what looks like corrupted graphics. You can kind of make out boxes and buttons, but that's about all. Just looking now to see if there is something i can change in the boot options.
Sorry to hear you had trouble with that. Someone recently gave me an EeePC 900 and I had read thar BL366 was reported to work on it. It worked fine for me once I got a booting USB stick. Good luck.

calexand

#16 Post by calexand »

I have an EeePC 900A and am currently using Lighthouse Puppy 302 with all the trimmings (including a one gig save file) on an 8 gig SDHC card. Works perfectly for me.

aarf

#17 Post by aarf »

sometime later it occured to me that you cant boot a zip burned to a cd.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

You have been given excellent advice 8)

Slacko Beta 1 (Puppy 5.3) is not yet stable enough
on the Eeepc

Lucid 528 (Puppy5.2) also runs on the Eeepc
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy526

I turned my Eeepc into a Buddhist shrine (using a 2.x series Puppy)
http://tmxxine.com/s4/shrine4.html :shock:

You have options. Good luck. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

r3bol

#19 Post by r3bol »

So, I got Lighthouse loaded off the usb stick and I'm using it right now. Yeah, it's pretty neat. It's very fast and I like the little pop ups that tell you things like, there are updates available.

I'm using xvesa because for some reason xorg doesn't work. If I select xorg, the screen goes and stays black. I was wondering, the OS is making my eee cpu fan crazy angry and the netbook is also quite warm in comparison to some of the other distros I've tried in the past on this machine-- Is this a usual thing for distros that run in memory? Like, does it require more load on the CPU or something?

Thanks.

calexand

#20 Post by calexand »

Use the CPU frequency scaling utility, it is included in the OS. I am not currently at my EeePC, perhaps someone else can tell you where/how...