Midnight Sun Pup 002 with 2.6.35.7 and 003 with 2.6.38.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sylvander

#136 Post by Sylvander »

All's well. :D

1. Changed names to now use:
/mnt/home/06-MidnightSunPup/lupusave-midnightsunpup.3fs

Both lupusave files are now being seen by tmix.
It's a pest to need to choose; takes time and effort. Would be good if you could tell it once and for all which file was its own.

2. I'm no good at using Firefox versions 4, 5, and 6.
Icons don't show in the toolbar. [See screenshot of normal icons]
What to do?
Where to go to learn how to use these newer versions?

3. I'm using "Firefox sync" to sync my bookmarks in various Firefox browsers in various OS's, but "Firefox sync" only works with versions 3 & 4 I see, and using the SFS file for version 6 in tmix.
Should I switch to Xmarks?
Uninstall "Firefox sync" in the various Puppies, then install Xmarks, and upload the best bookmarks, and download to the others?
Attachments
00.jpg
(7.57 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times

pemasu

#137 Post by pemasu »

Sylvander. When I have used some bookmarks syncing application, it was Xmarks and it has worked well. I suggest than you install some browser, for example Firefox or Seamonkey before using bookmarks syncing. I dont know how well they works with sfs installation.

pemasu

#138 Post by pemasu »

I am posting now from first test build of Midnight Sun Office version.
It has Libre Office 3.4.1 inbuild. I stripped base, math and draw out of it. And created mime types for file associations. Then I made something horrible. I removed goffice, gnumeric and Abiword.

Seamonkey 2.2 full package, it has the browser, email, html editor.

Iso is now 313 Mb. I can make it 300 Mb by removing Pidgin, Gimp, Transmission, reduce themes and backgrounds. VLC and Umplayr is already removed and Deadbeef is 0.44 lite version. It probably needs some file formats to include more.

Kernel is 2.6.39.3 which has ATI Catalyst 11.6 pet already made. Same kernel is in Polarpup 003.

It will take at least one day to clean and polish the shape. I need to check mimes and include rox right clicks and file associatons as full as possible. And remove remnants of Abiword and Gnumeric.

Basic things works already. Posting from MNS Office Edition now.

jim3630

#139 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I am posting now from first test build of Midnight Sun Office version.
It has Libre Office 3.4.1 inbuild. I stripped base, math and draw out of it. And created mime types for file associations. Then I made something horrible. I removed goffice, gnumeric and Abiword.

Seamonkey 2.2 full package, it has the browser, email, html editor.

Iso is now 313 Mb. I can make it 300 Mb by removing Pidgin, Gimp, Transmission, reduce themes and backgrounds. VLC and Umplayr is already removed and Deadbeef is 0.44 lite version. It probably needs some file formats to include more.

Kernel is 2.6.39.3 which has ATI Catalyst 11.6 pet already made. Same kernel is in Polarpup 003.

It will take at least one day to clean and polish the shape. I need to check mimes and include rox right clicks and file associatons as full as possible. And remove remnants of Abiword and Gnumeric.

Basic things works already. Posting from MNS Office Edition now.
whoa built in graphic card! will the ATI pet run on any hardware?

jim3630

#140 Post by jim3630 »

smokey01 wrote:I have just discovered that printing doesn't work.

It does with other versions of puppy using the Samsung unified drivers I installed.

See graphic.
+1. couldn't print on hp officejet 6500.

pemasu

#141 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Which version do you mean ?

jim3630

#142 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Which version do you mean ?

pemasu, oops! wrong thread. couldn't print in pp 003. it's cups that haven't used. switched to 265 and got cups working so think can do so in pp 003 will post when do so.

smokey01

#143 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu I just found another problem, this time with Skype.

When I turn on the webcam Skype shuts down instantly. Now I have seen this problem before but I can't remember when and how I fixed it.

The webcam works fine in Guvcview but not in Luvcview.

BTW I still haven't got printing to work

Tman

#144 Post by Tman »

Pemasu,

Thank You for the link for the remix on the first post. I have discovered that when I removed umplayer, I broke VLC :cry:. The Qt libs for it are missing. I tried installing the Qt libs from the wary repos, restarted the computer, and VLC worked. It even played subtitles.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 3-1-w5.pet

pemasu

#145 Post by pemasu »

Tman. It was a cosmic revenge of destiny. Dont mess with Umplayer, lol. It could be good idea to reupload fixed version also. I might do that when I have time. Right now it is just damn too good weather in our summer house region. Also pike perches start to get hungry after midnight so... day time is quite precious now. I also mess with MNS Office Edition when I have time. It is hopefully close to be ready for second trial.

Tman

#146 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:Tman. It was a cosmic revenge of destiny. Dont mess with Umplayer, lol. It could be good idea to reupload fixed version also. I might do that when I have time...
I can do the fix Pemasu, if you don't mind. After all, I am the one who broke it.
I will PM you when it is done. It shouldn't take too long. Yes, Umplayer is a very good Media Player, but since I was trying to trim things down, I decided to make the sacrifice. I would have opted to keep just Gnome-mplayer, but it messes up for me any time I try to play a video that contains subtiltles.

pemasu

#147 Post by pemasu »

Tman reuploaded MNS 003 remix version. It has now quite full Qt 4.5 libs and bins. Qtconfig works so theme and font settings for VLC menu is functional. Gtk style support seems to lack from that Qt version but it does not hurt to increase VLC menu font size.
Seems to work just fine. My kids watched movie with subtitles with VLC when we came back to home by car today. Battery lasted that 3 hour trip just fine.

I fixed the link in the first post for Tman`s remix downloading.

Thank you Tman. Your menu outlook is really good.

Tman

#148 Post by Tman »

I am reloading a slightly modified version at this moment, Remaining time is about 27 minutes. The name of the ISO is the exact same.
Yesterday's uploaded version works, but for some reason, during bootup, it searches for the main sfs... says "pausing..pausing", then finally finds it.
Little things like that bother me, and it was enough for me to remaster. The problem seems to come from remasterpup2.
I tried remasterpup3 which works, but it truncates the name of the main sfs, so I have to rename it back just before it builds the iso.
Just wanted to mention again that the Firefox SFS is not included this time, but can be found here: Firefox 6 sfs

I've done all that I can with my current level of knowledge.

The real work was done by Pemasu; an analogy would be.. he made the cake and I put a bit of icing on top.

Pemasu, I virtually pat you on the back.

smokey01

#149 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu I'm trying to compile a nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06.run) for my card to be used with MNS003.

What kernel source should I use?

I have tried lupe20 and lupe26 but I am getting errors.

Once compiled is it a single file nvidia.ko?

I ask because I will make it available to others if I get it to work. BTW where would it be located?

Thanks

pemasu

#150 Post by pemasu »

Kernel source sfs for MNS 003 and Remix : http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... lupe25.sfs

Sorry Smokey01. I have forgotten to make a link to the first page. Now it is done.
Once compiled there is unfortunately whole framework of other libs. I dont know good way to chase them. Best way I know is to download existing recent Nvidia pet and look what files and folders are inside. Then after installing the new Nvidia package you need to replace the stuff from your installment inside your puppy folders.

For ATI, I can compile the package inside ATI folder and get all the stuff neatly from the folder, but with Nvidia I cant do that. Nvidia fails at the beginning because I dont have Nvidia graphics.

smokey01

#151 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu wrote:Kernel source sfs for MNS 003 and Remix : http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... lupe25.sfs

Sorry Smokey01. I have forgotten to make a link to the first page. Now it is done.
Once compiled there is unfortunately whole framework of other libs. I dont know good way to chase them. Best way I know is to download existing recent Nvidia pet and look what files and folders are inside. Then after installing the new Nvidia package you need to replace the stuff from your installment inside your puppy folders.

For ATI, I can compile the package inside ATI folder and get all the stuff neatly from the folder, but with Nvidia I cant do that. Nvidia fails at the beginning because I dont have Nvidia graphics.
Thanks I will try lupe25.

Packaging might be more difficult than I imagined. Bugger.

smokey01

#152 Post by smokey01 »

smokey01 wrote:
pemasu wrote:Kernel source sfs for MNS 003 and Remix : http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... lupe25.sfs

Thanks I will try lupe25.

Packaging might be more difficult than I imagined. Bugger.
Ok that worked fine. Now I need to try and work out what files to package.

BTW Skype video works now with this video driver. I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the vesa/default driver but I have experienced the same problems before.

Wed 27 Jul 2011 Operating System: Midnight Sun Pup-003 Linux 2.6.38
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT216 Board - 0682vb02 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x313 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 270.41.06

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400
Core 0: 2665 1: 2665 2: 2665 3: 2665 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

Thanks

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. Great that it worked. About that skype. I tested it also and I got video just fine, so I knew there wasnt anything generic problems. But Skype is difficult with video. Different webcams needs different things and also different initiations to work with skype so I didnt bother to post about my success.

By the way. You seem to have still xorg vesa driver. If there is nouveau.ko you need to delete it before nvidia drivers load correctly. Nouveau.ko reserves nvidia xorg driver otherwise.

live

#154 Post by live »

Bug with

midnightsunpup-003.iso & midnightsunpup-002.iso

Working fine with Luci266 & Slacko 311.37

Details http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1649

smokey01

#155 Post by smokey01 »

smokey01 wrote:pemasu

BTW I still haven't got printing to work
I worked out the problem with printing. I had the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet merged into a larger .sfs file along with a number of other pets.

As soon as I unmounted the large .sfs file and installed the samsung pet and configured printing it all worked as expected. It looks like some printing files don't work when inside a .sfs file.