Chromium 14 - Cutting Edge Development Release

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Does anybody else get the double entry in the system menu? I have a fix if you do and its not just my system.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawnsboy

#17 Post by dawnsboy »

I am seeing that double menu entry as well.

DaveS

#18 Post by DaveS »

dawnsboy wrote:I am seeing that double menu entry as well.
OK, well this is what seems to happen... chrome-wrapper looks for a .desktop file on startup, but it seems to look for it in /root/.local/share/applications. If it cant find it, it creates one called 'chromium-devel.desktop', but Chrome cant run from this file in Puppy as it throws up the 'cannot be run as root' error. Its this 'extra' .desktop file that is finding its way into the menu.
Best solution I think is to open this file as text, delete the contents, copy and paste in the contents of the 'normal' .desktop file found in /usr/share/applications, save and exit. Delete the .desktop file in usr/share/applications, run 'fixmenus' and you should be done. Single menu entry that runs Chromium as expected.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

Single menu entry that runs Chromium as expected.
Thanks Dave S. I saw that double entry but I thought it was left over from previous experimentation. I should be able to fix the pet according to your explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is relatively easy to use the Chromium pet to keep updated with Chromium. Just download the latest nightly and extract--it will make a folder named chrome-linux.

Then just delete /usr/lib/chrome-linux and replace it with the new one you just downloaded and extracted.
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Linux/

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Earlier versions did always tell me that the Flash was too old but the newer does not but all of them are tricky to get going. Them say that the page can not be loaded and it is very annoying taking long time to trick it to show any page.

I use them as SFS if that is important. But Opera which I am no fan of that one just works as SFS and have no problem at all and FF works too so it is sad that Chromium is that much more moody.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

SimpleWater

#21 Post by SimpleWater »

Works great, and fast!

Just one question though, is
--disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000

really needed? or is it part of the root user fix?

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

SimpleWater wrote:Works great, and fast!

Not really needed. It is an attempt to limit the disc cache that Cromium creates by using command line switches that are supposed to work, but so far have not. Please remember to empty the disc cache via the GUI or it can grow to huge sizes.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#23 Post by playdayz »

Not really needed. It is an attempt to limit the disc cache that Cromium creates by using command line switches that are supposed to work, but so far have not. Please remember to empty the disc cache via the GUI or it can grow to huge sizes.
Dave S is correct--not really needed, but we found early on that without it we had some trouble with the Chromium cache eating up the entire lupusave file. As I recall that was especially the case with videos???

I have found this Chromium 14 to be unstable when starting up. Sometimes it fails to open any page. I am trying different combinations of the opening page to see if that can be eliminated. Currently I am using Preferences -> Open the Home Page and Home page = www.google.com. I am guessing that it what it wants to do ;-) Plus, it seems that when you make changes tot he opening page, it might crash completely the next time you open it.

DaveS

#24 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote: I have found this Chromium 14 to be unstable when starting up. Sometimes it fails to open any page.
Been doing OK specifying 'New Tab Page'
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

darkcity

#25 Post by darkcity »

I too have the problem that nothing happens when I click on the menu option or browse icon. (Puppy 525 frugal)

What do I type to make it run from the Terminal?

darkcity

#26 Post by darkcity »

Typing the following into terminal with chrome 14 install in Puppy 528

Code: Select all

exec /usr/lib/chrome-linux/chrome-wrapper --user-data-dir=/root/chromium "$@" --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 
results in terminal window vanishing and no google chrome.

any help appreciated..

darkcity

#27 Post by darkcity »

Playdays helped me in another thread, the answer is here

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Chrome