package management stinks

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
nitehawk

#31 Post by nitehawk »

sc0ttman wrote: For example, a standard Puppy 4.2 is compatible with Debian Lenny (Stable) - you can safely install nearly anything you like from there (apart from debian specific setup packages of course) and its deps, then it will almost certainly work OK
..hey,..that's interesting! I have an old Puppy 4.2 cd around here somewhere,...and an old stack of the Lenny DVDs. What about Debian Squeeze,..(probably won't work with Squeeze) (?). Guess I'll find out.

RetroTechGuy

#32 Post by RetroTechGuy »

nitehawk wrote:
sc0ttman wrote: For example, a standard Puppy 4.2 is compatible with Debian Lenny (Stable) - you can safely install nearly anything you like from there (apart from debian specific setup packages of course) and its deps, then it will almost certainly work OK
..hey,..that's interesting! I have an old Puppy 4.2 cd around here somewhere,...and an old stack of the Lenny DVDs. What about Debian Squeeze,..(probably won't work with Squeeze) (?). Guess I'll find out.
I have installed a number of packages from Squeeze in both 4.3.1 and 5.20 -- note, backup your pupsave/lupusave before trying this. And use caution with large package (which are likely to have many missing dependencies).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

dru5k1

#33 Post by dru5k1 »

@SimpleWater: I hope you noticed the PPM has a big ConfigurePackageManager button that you can press to open up the 'whole' ubuntu lucid -main,universe,and multiverse- repositories???

@sickgut: I'm glad pussylinux is out, it sounds great and I'm sure to check it out!

Bruce B

Re: learning

#34 Post by Bruce B »

Luluc wrote:
sickgut wrote:What Bruce said is true about the package manager, its handy as a tool to help you get to where your going but we arent tied into using it, and most experience users just grab the static install of the program they wanna use from the vendors site (skype from the skype site, assaultcube from the assultcube site etc...) install them, hunt around for a bit for a few deps, maybe remove some unneeded stuff to strip it a bit and thats it.
I've been around here for about a couple of months and gotten used to seeing several complaints being dismissed because "Puppy is supposed to be that way, limited but simple, in the name of newbie-friendliness." But now, all of a sudden, it is argued that "most Puppy users are savvy, will get by on their own and don't need no fancy-shmancy package manager."

Well, which is it? It is beginning to sound like the Puppy community will just say whatever suits their mood du jour about just leaving things the way they are.
It looks like good arguments to me.

I am not the community, rather an one user, just like anybody, except I have a lot of experience.

Around 2000 I decided to leave Windows and learn Linux. The keyword here is 'learn'.

People who don't take the time to learn are simply not going to be as capable administrators over their computers as those who learned.

Puppy is designed to be newbie friendly to be sure. Users want to add software not included with Puppy's ISO file. Puppy has a package manager as well as packages.

I don't use it and if have enhanced Puppy's software considerably without it, it can't be argued that it is needed.

In a lot of cases packages aren't needed either. A couple days ago I compiled and installed the latest version of Geany text editor and Bluefish HTML editor. No reason to package either.

If a person wants to get the best out of any operating system, he will need to learn the operating system. Learning is not as if one stops living or doesn't have a computer to work with while he learns. One learns on gradient. The more one learns, the easier things become.

~

sunburnt

#35 Post by sunburnt »

I didn`t read this whole thread, but I have said the same long ago.
I also suggested a simple fix that`s very advanced and has many benefits.

Make Squash files the new file package format, no installing or removal needed !!!
So there`s no tracking of files ( no mess ), and no space taken in the Save file.

You mount the file ( NOT Unioned ) and use it just that way.

This is the idea I suggested for ChoicePup, and it worked very well.

harii4

#36 Post by harii4 »

As an puppy 3 series user I always thought:
Gslapt‎
the PSI: Puppy Software Installer 07
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10960

where an great add-on .
Puppy's DotPup package installer vs. Add'l Software forum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2e7fad4d33
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

SimpleWater

#37 Post by SimpleWater »

dru5k1 wrote:@SimpleWater: I hope you noticed the PPM has a big ConfigurePackageManager button that you can press to open up the 'whole' ubuntu lucid -main,universe,and multiverse- repositories???

@sickgut: I'm glad pussylinux is out, it sounds great and I'm sure to check it out!
Yeah, you know weird things happen when i install ubuntu packages. Some work, some crash X :?
Bruce B wrote:In a lot of cases packages aren't needed either. A couple days ago I compiled and installed the latest version of Geany text editor and Bluefish HTML editor. No reason to package either.
The thing is, not all the programs out there come with a uninstall script. So making pet allows you to uninstall from ppm most of the files, or sometimes none.

Ether

#38 Post by Ether »

I've used various Puppy versions "as-is" for the past 5 years, mostly for rescue. Most have worked flawlessly. Amazing.

Now I'm at the point where I'd like to leave Windows behind and start using Linux full time.

To do this I would need to install software apps.

I made made an appeal for help here, but after doing a lot more reading I've very reluctantly come to the conclusion that if I want hassle-free installation of software apps I am going to have to "graduate" from Puppy to a mainstream full Linux installation.

I'll bet this is what happens to a lot of new users.

anikin

#39 Post by anikin »

Ether wrote:if I want hassle-free installation of software apps I am going to have to "graduate" from Puppy to a mainstream full Linux installation.

I'll bet this is what happens to a lot of new users
No need to "graduate".
Puppy itself has graduated/matured, so that, we don't have to:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

Ether

#40 Post by Ether »

anikin wrote:
Ether wrote:if I want hassle-free installation of software apps I am going to have to "graduate" from Puppy to a mainstream full Linux installation.

I'll bet this is what happens to a lot of new users
No need to "graduate".
Puppy itself has graduated/matured, so that, we don't have to:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225
I read somewhere this morning on this forum (can't find it right now - should have bookmarked a link) that Debian has the largest repo but the package manager isn't as good at handling dependencies as Ubuntu. Is that false? I need hassle-free software installation; I don't mind learning Linux as I go, but I need to be learning on a system that has the apps I need to get my work done. Does this new distro have a package manager that works "out of the box" ? Eventually I hope to learn all about dependencies and configuring and even building from source, but for now I need hassle-free noob automated installation so I can get up and running on a Linux system.

Thanks.

anikin

#41 Post by anikin »

Ether wrote:Does this new distro have a package manager that works "out of the box" ?
Yes, it does. It handles packages exactly the same way as Debian and Ubuntu, that is reliably and user friendly manner.

Ether

#42 Post by Ether »

anikin wrote:
Ether wrote:Does this new distro have a package manager that works "out of the box" ?
Yes, it does. It handles packages exactly the same way as Debian and Ubuntu, that is reliably and user friendly manner.
I'm a bit out of my league here, but I just read the following post located at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.ph ... e&p=601023 :
sickgut

Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:45

The only reason Puppy cant run other distros packages well is because of the extremely stripped down kernel. As soon as you try to install a package that relies on stuff that should really be in a linux kernel that puppy doesnt have then it wont work.

The only clear answer as i have discovered is to start with a more compatible base. There is no point in trying to retro fit another OSes packages on top of Puppy.

it doesnt matter if you have fitted apt-get or synaptic or whatever to puppy, the package manager isnt the issue the issue is that the puppy base itself isnt compatible with the packages you will wish to install.
Does this new distro address that problem?

Semme

#43 Post by Semme »

Rescue's fine. You want the full Monty.. well, you better be willing to sink yer teeth in.

Pup's environment is outstanding. But, don't expect to tap the cli and have an extra five hundred and fifty megs worth of libs @ your fingertips. The other guys are somewhat more functional as desktops because of all those steenking libs! Pup ain't perfect, but neither are the other guys. For me, and most, it boils down to hw recognition.

As far as :D deps, Deb and Ubuntu are virtually identical. While Pup lacks the internals of either, he certainly shines when it comes to placing the user in the drivers seat. Needless to say, all three communities are loaded with top-notch support.

anikin

#44 Post by anikin »

Ether,
Debian Dog is 100 % Debian under the hood. It uses the same kernel and the same package management system. Discussing theoretical issues is one thing, but you first need to touch the bare metal with your own hands. Just start using it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ether

#45 Post by Ether »

anikin wrote:Ether,
Debian Dog is 100 % Debian under the hood. It uses the same kernel and the same package management system. Discussing theoretical issues is one thing, but you first need to touch the bare metal with your own hands. Just start using it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm new at this Linux stuff. At this point I don't have the discernment to tell for sure what's correct and what's not.

When I read the post quoted above by "sickgut" it seemed to make sense to me. I was just wondering if the point he was making was a valid one. And if so, was his concern addressed in this new distro.

By the way, to me "bare metal" means writing production hard-real-time code for embedded processors which are not running an OS. Something I did a lot of in an earlier epoch of my life.

I am very much interested in learning Linux, but I am not interested in drinking from a fire hose. I need a Linux installation which just runs out of the box, and has hassle-free simple noob installation of the apps I need to do my work, so I can learn Linux without a gun to my head while using the system to get my work done.

I'm asking here about Puppy because I want to make the transition from Windoze to Linux, and I have been so impressed by Puppy over the past 5 years or so that I have been using it as one tool in my toolbox. If I can get a Puppy distro that reliably supports simple installation of the apps I need, I would prefer to go that route.

I spent 5 fruitless hours yesterday trying to get an app from the Ubuntu repo to install and work on a Puppy Precise 5.7.1 installation. I came to this forum looking for friendly and helpful advice before I reluctantly declare defeat and move on.

People are different and learn in different ways. Asking questions of people who are knowledgeable and patient and eager to share what they know is what works best for me. In return I participate in other technical forums where I am the teacher instead of the noob student.

So... to any knowledgeable persons out there who are willing to engage my questions I will be indebted to you.

cimarron

#46 Post by cimarron »

I started into linux with Ubuntu, which is one of the easiest and most refined distros. It's changed a lot recently, and I would probably suggest Linux Mint now to start (it's based on Ubuntu and uses the well-maintained Ubuntu repositories). Package management is done well in both and updates are automatic.

I love Puppy linux, but I wouldn't recommend it for linux beginners. It's great to learn linux in depth, as its code is simpler and accessible (and you're forced to learn more to get some things to work). I can tweak code in Puppy that is way too complex in Ubuntu. That means I can make it my own more, a unique OS that I really feel at home in. Plus Puppy can bring back old equipment from the dead, and it's completely portable. But I found my way here through experimenting first with more developed and refined distros, like Ubuntu or Mint.

Ether

#47 Post by Ether »

cimarron wrote:I started into linux with Ubuntu, which is one of the easiest and most refined distros. It's changed a lot recently, and I would probably suggest Linux Mint now to start (it's based on Ubuntu and uses the well-supported Ubuntu repositories). Package management is done well in both and updates are automatic.... I found my way here through experimenting first with more developed and refined distros, like Ubuntu or Mint.
Thanks for that insight.

I guess I was inclined to stay with Puppy because I've had such a positive experience with it these past 5 years. But perhaps for my new use-case it is not the right fit and I am expecting too much.

saintless

#48 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ether.
Ether wrote:When I read the post quoted above by "sickgut" it seemed to make sense to me. I was just wondering if the point he was making was a valid one. And if so, was his concern addressed in this new distro.
No, Sickgut's post about stripped kernel in puppy has nothing to do with DebianDog. Infact DebianDog is a product from Sickgut's ideas.
DebianDog is Official Debian Stable (Wheezy) Live CD made to look more or less like puppy. The kernel is untouched Debian Wheezy one. The Structure is untouched. In short DebianDog is Debian Wheezy with options to load SFS files and remaster the system similar to puppy method and option to make frugal or full install.
I spent 5 fruitless hours yesterday trying to get an app from the Ubuntu repo to install and work on a Puppy Precise 5.7.1 installation. I came to this forum looking for friendly and helpful advice before I reluctantly declare defeat and move on.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess this is the application you mention: python-cvxopt?
Open terminal in DebianDog and type:

Code: Select all

apt-get update

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# apt-get install python-cvxopt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libatlas3gf-base libdsdp-5.8gf libfftw3-3 libglpk0 libgmp10 libgomp1
  libgsl0ldbl libltdl7 libsqlite3-0 python python-minimal python2.7
  python2.7-minimal
Suggested packages:
  libfftw3-bin libfftw3-dev libiodbc2-dev libmysqlclient-dev gsl-ref-psdoc
  gsl-doc-pdf gsl-doc-info gsl-ref-html python-doc python-tk python2.7-doc
  binutils binfmt-support
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libatlas3gf-base libdsdp-5.8gf libfftw3-3 libglpk0 libgmp10 libgomp1
  libgsl0ldbl libltdl7 libsqlite3-0 python python-cvxopt python-minimal
  python2.7 python2.7-minimal
0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/10.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 30.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Confirm the installation. You can also use GUI Synaptic package manager to download and install software from official Debian repository.

Hope this helps.

Toni

Ether

#49 Post by Ether »

saintless wrote:Hope this helps.
It is very helpful.

Thank you for that detailed articulate answer.

I'm going to give it a try.

rufwoof

#50 Post by rufwoof »

Ether wrote:..
I've used various Puppy versions "as-is" for the past 5 years, mostly for rescue. Most have worked flawlessly. Amazing.

Now I'm at the point where I'd like to leave Windows behind and start using Linux full time.

To do this I would need to install software apps.

I made made an appeal for help here, but after doing a lot more reading I've very reluctantly come to the conclusion that if I want hassle-free installation of software apps I am going to have to "graduate" from Puppy to a mainstream full Linux installation.

I'll bet this is what happens to a lot of new users.
Cold shiver at the thought of a - FULL INSTALL !!! - no thanks. Puppy is the ultimate LiveCD IMO. Its one of the few that can actually be used in LiveCD mode in practice. From power on to desktop fully loaded with spreadsheets, word processor, browser, video editor ...etc in 2 or 3 minutes. And with no lag thereafter (all running in memory).

Make a mistake and a reboot has you back to a fresh working version.

No savefile or frugal required - although the option is always there if you need it. My LiveCD puppy is minimal - basic desktop, notepad (leafpad), a calculator (galculator), MT Paint and XPaint, together with the usual desktop stuff (mplayer, CD/DVD load, rip, burn, author etc). Usual desktop admin tools and network connect/firewall etc stuff.

Banking - boot, grab a factory fresh browser and all running from CD/Memory - low/no risk of a virus (provided of course you surf nowhere else before or after).

Office - ditto, but load LibreOffice SFS. Ditto for other tools (for video editing stuff I have a SFS that loads inkscape, audacity, xvidcap, blender, openshot).

For persistence, rather than a savefile - that can fill up at the worst possible time, I just drag the relevant sub directory from /root to HDD using ROX and select move, then drag that back again and select symbolic link. Then next reboot just replace the /root subdirectory with another symbolic link again (in practice I use a script to make several of such rearrangements all automated via a single mouse click). That way my personal storage space is always all of available memory plus some (1.7GB in my case).

I tried savefile/frugal's - didn't like them. Full installs - had enough of managing recovering those back to 'how it was before' under windows. LiveCD - absolutely great IMO - yet new users seem to want to skip over that option asap, and in so doing miss out on one off (if not the best) aspects of Puppy.

Try running one of the other distro's as LiveCD's. Often they're painfully/unacceptably slow.

For me, PPM isn't even required, I haven't even updated its database. I'll try PET's, SFS's galore - and have found that some from other distro's even work ok - but if not a reboot undoes things. Mostly however I just use the LiveCD in banking mode (no HDD's mounted) or in Office mode (HDD's mounted and a script run to load my usual SFS's and set up the relevant symbolic links for persistence).

My original intent back in early March as a new Puppy user was to create a LiveCD just for banking purposes, remove the CD and boot into XP boot for other more general stuff. In practice I haven't booted XP for over a month now - and not missing it either. Puppy takes care of all my surfing and low level calculating, writing stuff (firefox, galculator, leafpad), and office stuff (Libre), and audio, video watching/editing stuff. Is safe, needs no antivirus updates, and doesn't even need updating if the particular choice of existing SFS's are working well enough already. And I get to choose when to update, unlike my son whose windows desktop totally changed and left him with several hours of recovering/effort after MS decided that he should have a automatic update installed at a time chosen by them.