Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 02:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Bacon Recorder - simple audio recorder
Page 8 of 8 [119 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
don570

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 11:36    Post subject:  

I noticed the animated gif
doesn't work properly while using Precise Puppy Crying or Very sad

I'll try your line to see will solve that problem. I hope it does.

I could check which distro is being used in /etc/Distro_specs
and change the line appropriately if that is necessary.

As for your suggestion of popping up two windows at a time,
that's a No-No. Sad

BTW Dimitry will include your french locale for mtpaint
when he's finished converting the project to v-code
because it's a lot of work (he says).

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 12:33    Post subject:  

Don,
Thanks for replying Smile
Quote:
In the NLS-4.2, the french translation is missing ...here got the spanish translation instead ..

Did you lost the french baconrecorder.mo ...?
Cheers, Charlie
don570

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 12:49    Post subject:  

Would you check my right click version as well?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=761002#761002

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 19:41    Post subject:  

Rightclick version does have a French translation.

new version 4.5

-wider date field
-Charlie's new volume indicator is used when clicking on animated gif
- French translation put back in NLS package

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 23:47    Post subject:  

Hi Don,
thanks for your quick reply !
as also for the new right click options ... i can imagine how much time it needs to put together all these options (just have a look inside its pet by clicking extract pet ... Wink )
Quote:
Would you check my right click version as well?

I'm currently running wheezy-3.5.2.5 and 3.5.2.11 which come with- and where there already are a bunch on right-click options.
So i wouldn't want the new right-click options to interfere with them.
Although I've installed it and it looks to run OK . Uninstallation returns the original options, except that i've now redundant "Extract here" and "Extraire ici", "MD5sum check" and "Vérification MD5sum" options displayed Confused - i don't know where they come from ... maybe from the french langpack already installed .. . it doesn't matter anyway.

It also has handy apps in it Very Happy
Cheers, Charlie

last edited:
on the way to 4.6 ...? Wink
here is a pet ... just ... a suggestion for an explicit VU meter icon Confused enjoy ! Very Happy

last last edited: just a little extra tuning .. have recompiled aplay to get bars "|" instead of squares "#" vu-meters display ... Very Happy
BC-4.5_VuMeter_retrovol.jpg
 Description   aplay recompiled displaying bars
 Filesize   17.99 KB
 Viewed   201 Time(s)

BC-4.5_VuMeter_retrovol.jpg

BCVU_gif-140617.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  BCVU_gif-140617.pet 
Filesize  4.77 KB 
Downloaded  36 Time(s) 
anime.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   5.11 KB
 Viewed   207 Time(s)

anime.gif

gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 15:10    Post subject:  

This VU meter (any meter) is a good idea for use in recording. Make easy to spot operation/non-operation of mic/recording.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2014, 17:02    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
This VU meter (any meter) is a good idea for use in recording. Make easy to spot operation/non-operation of mic/recording.

This is just an animated gif, not a VU meter.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to arrange for a VU meter to actively work during recording via arecord. The arecord option that provides a VU meter can be used only during playback, without additional software, or prior to making any recording - not during recording.

Puppy forum member SFR has alerted me to the fact that the following code line, originally and currently used in Precord, is causing /dev/null to be overwritten with a normal txt file, which prevents some other software operating correctly: Fixes itself on reboot of course:

Code:
rxvt -geometry "64x2-0+172" -e arecord -V stereo /dev/null 2>/dev/null &

It is an old fault, dependent on arecord version, first discussed on murga forum in 2009 here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=373193#373193

The error occurrence or effect appeared to depend on the version of arecord on the system. Version 1.0.25 (as used in Precise and DebianDog mixes stdout and stderr, which is a flaw; version 1.0.26, as used in latest Slacko doesn't)

I note that the same VU code line has since been used in Bacon recorder.

I'm currently working, along with SFR, on a fix/workaround for Precord and will let you know what is decided upon. If anyone comes up with alternative possible 'fixes' would be good to know (particularly if it appears to work for both arecord versions 1.0.25 and 1.0.26, i.e. for Precise and Slacko 5.7).

Cheers, William

charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 10:45    Post subject:  

Hi William,
mcewanw wrote:
...Puppy forum member SFR has alerted me to the fact that the following code line, originally and currently used in Precord, is causing /dev/null to be overwritten with a normal txt file, which prevents some other software operating correctly: Fixes itself on reboot of course:
Code:
rxvt -geometry "64x2-0+172" -e arecord -V stereo /dev/null 2>/dev/null &

The error occurrence or effect appeared to depend on the version of arecord ...
I'm currently working, along with SFR, on a fix/workaround for Precord and will let you know what is decided upon. If anyone comes up with alternative possible 'fixes' would be good to know (particularly if it appears to work for both arecord versions 1.0.25 and 1.0.26, i.e. for Precise and Slacko 5.7).

Many thanks for warning ... Smile i was totally ignorant of that ..!
Here running wheezy-3.5.2.5 which has alsa-utils-1.0.25 in it ...
I indeed use to avoid using other softwares while recording.

Charlie
don570

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 19:48    Post subject:  

I haven't changed my right click utility package to the new baconrecorder.
There's no need to rush changing it now.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 21:30    Post subject: Early precord version exemplar on implementing PAUSE control  

don570 wrote:
I think that putting a pause button in the window would be difficult.
I use the arecord command which does support pause however
it has to be done in the terminal. :cry:

Attached is one of the early versions of precord from 2009 (which I should really revamp since its nice and simple, being mp3 only, and the code, just 400 lines long and all in one script and split into simple functions, relatively easily understood, I think, for adaption by others). Being a very slimmed-down precord, it should be easy to follow in terms of how STOP and CONT are used to effect pause button. The first gtkdialog-based audio app with pause control on Puppy forum was 2007 wiakrecord I believe, though the pause functionality (using STOP and CONT) in that was written in C.

That early precord also contains the original arecord VU attempt, which was partly suggested to me by Flash for an even earlier recorder in 2007. Unfortunately that attempt also overwrites /dev/null for some versions of arecord as we discovered back then. I'll be publishing precord with fix from SFR (Jake) shortly, but here is what he suggested as the general concept, which works:

Code:
arecord -V stereo /root/arecord_temp & { sleep 1; rm -f /root/arecord_temp; }

Since the existing code overwrites the system file /dev/null, this is a critical fix for anyone using any recorder that is using the older arecord VU code, so it is best if fixed versions are published soon.

Cheers, William

NOTE: If pause is implemented by STOP/CONT method, it is probably worth mentioning that it is important to always issue a CONT signal to the process when the program is terminated. Otherwise any STOPped arecord process will be left running in the background and not correctly cleaned up. The reason is that you can't terminate the STOPped process unless a CONT signal has first been issued.
precord-1.0.2.pet.tar.gz
Description  Just extract the archive for reading code. Best not to install since could interfere with any later version installed.
gz

Download 
Filename  precord-1.0.2.pet.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.44 KB 
Downloaded  31 Time(s) 

Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 22:37; edited 2 times in total
charlie6

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2014, 03:41    Post subject:  

Hi William,
many thanks to you as also to Jake (as SFR) Very Happy
that new script works nice !
Charlie
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2014, 04:10    Post subject:  

That extra bit script was just the general concept charlie. It does work fine but you might like to use /tmp instead of /root for the temporary file, and we are currently preferring the alternative syntax for arecord vu meter thus:

Code:
rxvt -e arecord -vv /tmp/vu_tmp & { sleep 1; rm -f /tmp/vu_tmp; }

You might also like to position the vu meter on your screen via the rxvt -geometry parameter and to give it a title with rxvt -title parameter. You can check the code in the newly updated revised precord to see exactly what that uses (though precord splits the above command into two parts because it stores the process ID inbetween each half).

don570

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun 2014, 15:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
NOTE: If pause is implemented by STOP/CONT method, it is probably worth mentioning that it is important to always issue a CONT signal to the process when the program is terminated. Otherwise any STOPped arecord process will be left running in the background and not correctly cleaned up. The reason is that you can't terminate the STOPped process unless a CONT signal has first been issued.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll try to modify baconrecorder in the
upcoming week.
_____________________________________________________-
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 04:50    Post subject:  french translation of the wikki (To be moved)
Subject description: to-day, Bacon Recorder Lesson (first class)

Bacon Recorder Bacon Recorder est une application simple pour enregistrer de l'audio en format WAV et MP3,créée par Don White. Bacon Recorder est conçue pour les systèmes de faible puissance, ne consommant que 10% de CPU sur une machine Pentium 4. Ses fonctions comprennent l'enregistrement en manuel, un compte à rebours automatique (démarrer et arrêter l'enregistrement à l' heure fixée) et une minuterie (immédiatement et arrêter l'enregistrement au bout d'un certain temps). En outre, il est possible de cacher la fenêtre et d'enregistrer en arrière-plan. Des enregistrements multiples en simultané sont également possibles. Comme beaucoup de programmes développés spécialement pour Puppy Linux, Bacon Recorder est très petit, occupant moins de 50k d'espace. Bacon Recorder est distribué sous licence GPL. Habituellement il est pré-installé sur Puppy Linux, mais vous pouvez vous le procurer sur leur site web ou utiliser le Gestionnaire de package Puppy. Le programme a été créé par Don570.

L'application arecord tourne en masqué chaque fois que le bouton set est cliqué. Cliquant sur 'Stop' tue l'application arecord. On peut donc «Quitter» baconrecorder tout en continuant d'enregistrer.
Il enregistre en arrière-plan. Cela présente des avantages sur un ordinateur de faible puissance. Il me faut environ 10% de CPU sur mon ordinateur P4 pour enregistrer un fichier MP3. (Presque zéro s'il s'agit d'un fichier WAVE.)

Veillez à ce que vous ayez suffisamment d'espace disque et réglez Retrovol, le mixer audio, pour ajuster la source en entrée. Notez que le menu déroulant définit la longueur (ou la durée) de l'enregistrement, mais vous pouvez changer cette valeur en indiquant une valeur différente ---> par exemple à la place de 60 minutes, mettez 70 minutes si vous le souhaitez.

Don 570, nice tool. Only missing fonction 'pause" Smile and that would be perfect ! You make usefull and nice pets, be proud of it !
here Pelo.tar.gz
Description  title 'unamed' to change please, listen to my spoken message inside
gz

Download 
Filename  here Pelo.tar.gz 
Filesize  88.86 KB 
Downloaded  23 Time(s) 
youtube.jpg
 Description   tuto video youtube
 Filesize   47.21 KB
 Viewed   35 Time(s)

youtube.jpg

Page 8 of 8 [119 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: