Graveman won't burn CDs right because of default DAO

Please post any bugs you have found
lostdog

Graveman won't burn CDs right because of default DAO

#1 Post by lostdog »

For some reason Puppy will not stop reading a blank CD.

I don't mind this so much, but graveman can't write to it, MUT can't read it, or anything else.

I downloaded PizzaPup and can't write the ISO to CD.
The truth is out there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

This really sounds like a problem with the CD drive. Could you add a few details to your complaint? How old is the CD drive? Does it work OK in Windows or any other OS, such as Knoppix?

lostdog

#3 Post by lostdog »

TOSHIBA_DVD-ROM_SD-M1202

It's probably fairly old, it was in the used pc I bought to play with linux. I may be able to get a new one in a couple of months, but not right now.
The truth is out there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Um, if the name is correct then that drive can only read the disk. DVD-ROM cannot write (either to DVD or CD.) ROM stands for Read Only Memory.

lostdog

#5 Post by lostdog »

well that sucks. I didn't expect it to write to DVD, but I did expect it to write to CD. I mean that is what they are supposed to do.
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#6 Post by lostdog »

Um, if the name is correct then that drive can only read the disk. DVD-ROM cannot write (either to DVD or CD.) ROM stands for Read Only Memory.
I think you are correct Flash. I tried mepis, because that's what I have, And K3B wouldn't even let me choose a burner. It just doesn't make sense to me to make a half a product like that.

Thanks
The truth is out there.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

It just doesn't make sense to me to make a half a product like that.
Well, back in the old days a burner cost a lot of money. Also, people didn't have much need to burn stuff due to the smaller files of the bygone era. As for backing up, who really does that nowadays? It was the same back then, too. If they needed it, they'd use floppies (not necissarily floppy, either) since they had so little to back up. Nobody needed a 700MB storage medium. And there was always magnetic tape for those geeky enough to back up that much data.

Rather than burn things (like modern pyro-fanatics), the older generation used the drive to view data. Such as games, or to play music. Does your cd player burn? (I take that back, nowadays some do I think....) My Playstation doesn't burn disks either. When I need to save data, I do it in a memory card with vastly smaller capacity than a game disk. Like those ancient computer users, I didn't need to save large volumes of data. I'd use large volumes, but the stuff I actually needed to save was much smaller.

Eventually, the dvd was developed. People could play music on their computers, so why not add dvd functionality?

But burners were only for rich people and geeks (or pirates). Average Joe had floppies and zip drives and jump drives and four-wheel drives.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kethd

#8 Post by kethd »

UBCD has some great utilities like AIDA16 and ASTRA, that list in complete detail all the capabilities of each drive (also the latest Memtest86 versions):

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:
* Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.
* Free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive. Even if you do have a floppy drive, it is still much much faster to run your diagnostic tools from the CDROM drive, rather than wait for the tool to load from the floppy drive.
* Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD. Wouldn't you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!

When you boot up from the CD, a text-based menu will be displayed, and you will be able to select the tool you want to run. The selected tool actually boots off a virtual floppy disk created in memory.

jeffrey

#9 Post by jeffrey »

I also failed to write a CD using Graveman o Puppy 1.0.8 and assumed that I'd done something wrong, but reading this thread makes me wonder if CD writing has severely regressed with 1.0.8.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Jeffrey: what do you see in Start -> Control Panel -> Xproc system information, bottom of the "Devices" tab where it says "IDE, hda information?"

jeffrey

#11 Post by jeffrey »

IDE, hdc information:
ide-cdrom version 4.59-ac1
CD-RW IDE5224

IDE, hdd information:
ide-cdrom version 4.59-ac1
ASUS CD-S500/A

(Copied by hand because I can see no way of cutting and pasting).

jeffrey

#12 Post by jeffrey »

For what it's worth, the relevant section from /var/log/messages when running Graveman to write 90MB to CD in data format (with all default options I think except 8 speed) is:

Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: The failed "<NULL>" packet command was:
Mar 21 09:10:06 (none) user.warn kernel: "3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 "
Mar 21 09:10:11 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 21 09:10:11 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
Mar 21 09:10:24 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar 21 09:10:24 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
Mar 21 09:10:24 (none) user.info kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
Mar 21 09:10:24 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: Invalid field in parameter list -- (asc=0x26, ascq=0x00)
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: The failed "Mode Select 10" packet command was:
Mar 21 09:10:29 (none) user.warn kernel: "55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 "

lostdog

#13 Post by lostdog »

Pizzasgood, Ten years ago there were only 650 meg CDs, I had a CD writer and used it to store software that I had downloaded from the net. Things like games, replacements for windoze aps, and other things that I wanted to play with.
It was quit nice then because I could pick a file that I didn't want anymore and delete it, and just copy other files to the cd without the hassle of erasing everything and creating a new image.

God I miss the days when things made sense.
The truth is out there.

jeffrey

Graveman writing suceeded!

#14 Post by jeffrey »

I've found the problem with writing a CD - Graveman was using DAO (disk at once) as default, which fails immediately on writing to the CD and thereby renders the CD useless, I think. When I selected TAO mode (track at once) it worked fine.

I also found that I need to use device ATAPI:0,0,0 to write using cdrecord (which I prefer because I can script it and expect it to work on different Linux flavours), eg for Puppy 1.0.8 I can use

Code: Select all

cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 speed=8 -multi -data myisofs
and expect it to succeed. Also I need to use "cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI" to detect the logical unit number, "0,0,0"

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

you can also use dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc (if your burner is hdc) ... that way you don't need to scan for the device numbers ... this is what the burniso2cd program does

dao will not work with some burn methods ... i'm not sure, but i seem to remember that dao won't work to burn a multisession disc

kethd

#16 Post by kethd »

See also:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=6915
Cdrecord TAO burn glitch - two extra sectors
Puppy seems not capable of burning a perfect CD from ISO!

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=6796
How to make iso file from CD with readcd