Puppy 5.2.5 Menu Bug (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
duke93535

Puppy 5.2.5 Menu Bug (Solved)

#1 Post by duke93535 »

I find that the menu management configurations are non-responsive to their configure files in xdg.

For example in /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu the file show:

Code: Select all

<Menuname inline="true
Last edited by duke93535 on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yes, I ran into this too. It is particularly annoying because it generates lots of 3 level deep menus when such are not called for, making it difficult to use the menus.

I think this has been around ever since version 5 started.

I compared the .menu files and .directory files and the rest of it to what is in version 4.3.1, which does not have this problem, and don't see enough difference to account for the problem. In fact the <layout> specification is identical. So I'm guessing the xdg application that generates the menu in 5.x (/usr/bin/jwm-xdgmenu, I think) is broken. Maybe compare that to the one in quirky 1.4, and copy it over to see if it works?

<later>
I looked at jwm-xdgmenu and notice the one in 4.3.1 and in 5.1.1 are both 5068 byles, so it's probably not this. <sigh>

I got so annoyed with this that I disabled fixmenus in 5.1.1 and just edited /root/.jwmrc directly, but that is not a good solution either (for example, when installing things, you don't get a menu entry). So I'd like to see this fixed in 5.2.5...

duke93535

#3 Post by duke93535 »

Yes, I have tried exchanging numerous xdg files from Quirky 1.4 and I have reported it in the bug sections of Lupu, and since both Quirky 1.4 and Lupu are built with Woof, it must be a problem using Ubuntu libraries.

Fatdog had the same issue, but I played with it and was able to get it working correctly.

PaulBx1

#4 Post by PaulBx1 »

Can't remember what you did? :)

I guess you must be right. I did a diff of jwm-xdgmenu and there was no change there. I tried the older fixmenus script and it generated the same output for .jwmrc.

So, is there a way of building jwm-xdgmenu so that it uses a library that is not broken? You must have done this with fatdog, eh? Where is the source?

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

I found a workaround, yahoo! :D

If you look at (for example) puppy-document.menu, there are three items called out in the layout. It seems like the first one specified below is the one that does not get inlined, despite its inline callout in the layout. I found that if above the layout (that is, in the parent menu) you do this:

<DefaultLayout inline="true"></DefaultLayout>
...then everything gets inlined properly.

Of course, if some submenu exceeds the inline_limit, one wonders with this workaround if it will fail the other way (not breaking it into a submenu when it should), but that is not my problem so I'm not going to worry about it.

The default inline is "false" but the specification in the layout should override this. Apparently it does for the later submenus, but not the first one. But I think this workaround takes care of that.

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

One other bug - the separator tag does not work consistently. I see it used in the layout of both the System menu and the Documents menu, but only in the System menu do you actually get separators.

<later>
Woops, not quite as I reported (looking at the wrong thing). It now appears that you only get a separator under a submenu. If it went inline, the separator disappears.

PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

This also works:

<DefaultLayout inline="true"/>
(just getting used to the syntax).

On that separator thing, I tried putting one into the DefaultLayout tag, since the spec said one could go there, but it didn't change anything.

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

so I'm not going to worry about it
Well, I figured out an easy way to check it - by just setting the inline_limits to 1. And sure enough, the workaround does break that function. That is, the submenus appear in the last two cases, but the first one in the Documents menu (which has Abiword and Abiword Help) does not turn into a submenu. :x In other words, it's the reverse of the original behavior. It appears there is some initialization problem in the loop doing the processing. Anyway it is still better this way if you ask me. I'd rather have the first item in the layout inlined when it should have been submenued, rather than having it submenued when it should have been inlined. If that makes any sense. I hate submenus with 1 or two items in them.

duke93535

#9 Post by duke93535 »

We have gotten the menus working finally in Lupu. We exchanged the libraries:

1. libglib-2.0.so.0.2400.0 (just .hide) > libglib-2.0.so.0.2400.2 and relinked libglib-2.0.so.0 to the Quirky 1.4 newer library in /lib.

2. libgnome-menu.so.2.4.6 (just .hide) > libgnome-menu.so.2.0.2 and relinked libgnome-menu.so.2 to Quirky 1.4 older library in /usr/lib.

This seems to have corrected the problem.

PaulBx1

#10 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yeah, I just had tried my workaround on all the .menu files, and it turns out it only works about half the time. :roll:

So, could you possibly attach those libraries to a post here, so I can try them out? I didn't want to mess with Quirky. I'd appreciate it...

duke93535

(Solved)

#11 Post by duke93535 »

Thanks, PaulBx1:

Without your interest we would have given up on resolving this issue and deleted Lupu again. We now have tested longer and it is OK on the menu.

Our 6 core processor computer doesn’t have all the cores working as it does in Quirky, the kernel that Barry uses is better for it.

You will have to do a "fixmenus" in terminal and "jwm -restart" If you are running JWM.

The library and symlinks from our Quirky are in a pet form below link.

Here is the updated pet in the Solution section

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67423
Last edited by duke93535 on Wed 04 May 2011, 22:16, edited 6 times in total.

PaulBx1

#12 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sorry I was gone for a bit.

Actually one doesn't need to do jwm-restart. The changes are available after the fixmenus.

I went into initrd/pup_ro1 (or wherever that was) and deleted all the menu changes I had made, then installed the pet. It does indeed work. In fact better than I expected, because the separators are there too, which I wanted. So thank you very much, my migration to 525 is back on track again!

duke93535

#13 Post by duke93535 »

Thanks PaulBx1 for the conformation, a person wonders if they had done a disservice sometimes, when only testing on two machines.

We found both JWM and fbpanel were repaired with this pet.

goolwa_pup

Re: (Solved)

#14 Post by goolwa_pup »

duke93535 wrote:Thanks, PaulBx1:

PS: Would be nice to hear from one of the 10 folks who downloaded this, if it worked for you or not.
Worked for me with JWM except for Desktop/country settings is still 3 deep

duke93535

#15 Post by duke93535 »

goolwa_pup

What is your configure settings? How many items do you have under that submenus?

Go to /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu. Open it with text editor and change the number of items in the submenu to 99 toward the top. Example follows:

<Menuname inline="true

goolwa_pup

#16 Post by goolwa_pup »

[quote="duke93535"]goolwa_pup

<Menuname inline="true

PaulBx1

#17 Post by PaulBx1 »

Worked for me with JWM except for Desktop/country settings is still 3 deep
Yes, that is the way the menu is set up. It's doing what was asked of it (unlike the OP) so that all you have to do if you don't like that menu is to revise it as you said. The nice thing is that now it actually pays attention to what you want it to do! :)